Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Who's copryrights assignments on first? No, whose on second...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's not just copyright assignment, it's all hilarious

quote:

My program dumped core. I investigated (using ElectricFence) and found three places in the code which indexed one cell too far. I informed Eric that I had found that his version would dump core. After a few emails, he had not taken the time to investigate

quote:

The TO-DO file was modified to note

quote:

* The wresize() code has been reported to core-dump occasionally. The
maintainers haven't been able to reproduce this.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I got halfway before giving up because that site it a turd on mobile safari

but goddamn esr maintains being a shitlorde

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

somebody tl;dr it because IDG enough Fs.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
esr is a giant baby

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
esr submits occasional and sensationally poor quality patches occasionally to ncurses then claims majority ownership
rms eventually steps in, figures out it had no free license and deletes it from the fsf hosting site (hosting is a Big Deal back then)
red hat does something idiotic regarding distribution and patches in the meantime but nobody cares

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my favorite one was him copying verbatim the man pages from solaris lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
esr is the ultimate worthless parasite

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

my favorite one was him copying verbatim the man pages from solaris lol

really. lol. amazing i never heard that one

but i can't say i've ever given half a poo poo about that nobody

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

This release introduced manpages provided by Eric Raymond. In his note, Eric said:

quote:

I prepared them by reverse-nroffing the (uncopyrighted) SVr4 curses
man pages with an Emacs package I wrote for the purpose. I then rewrote
them extensively, removing passive voice, adding many clarifications, and
cleaning up and tightening the language.
Later, I pointed out that large sections of the documentation were identical with SVr4, e.g., as on Solaris.

:bravo:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ahmeni posted:

esr submits occasional and sensationally poor quality patches occasionally to ncurses then claims majority ownership
rms eventually steps in, figures out it had no free license and deletes it from the fsf hosting site (hosting is a Big Deal back then)
red hat does something idiotic regarding distribution and patches in the meantime but nobody cares

don't forget the part about reverse-nroffing the SVR4 curses man pages as the basis for the ncurses man pages because "they're not under copyright"

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

pram posted:

esr is the ultimate worthless parasite

Have you seen Sex Tips for Geeks? He's not totally worthless. :laugh:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

eschaton posted:

don't forget the part about reverse-nroffing the SVR4 curses man pages as the basis for the ncurses man pages because "they're not under copyright"

call me dumb but I don't think that's how copyright works

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Another problem that comes up more often among geeks than elsewhere is romances that are traditional/poly mixed (one partner polyamorous by inclination, the other not -- and for reasons having to do with the sexual strategies I've discussed in my essay The Biology of Promiscuity, the poly partner is actually somewhat more likely to be the woman). Lots of people have serious trouble mustering the particular kind of confidence needed to say "no" to sexual jealousy and be successful polyamorists. This is hardly surprising; sexual jealousy is a powerful instinct which the mainstream culture surrounding us reinforces and rewards. But any mixed traditional/poly relationship has a built-in instability, and that has to be carefully negotiated to avoid the whole thing going to smash

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

my poly-linux lifestyle

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I would kinda prefer it if it was more like a 1970s orgy sort of thing with stallmanesque dudes in a wood paneled room with shag carpet

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
This actually increased my respect for Dr. Stallman.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Marzzle posted:

I would kinda prefer it if it was more like a 1970s orgy sort of thing with stallmanesque dudes in a wood paneled room with shag carpet

shaggar carpet so you can hear it scream and feel it writhe at how Linux it all is

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

SYSV Fanfic posted:

This actually increased my respect for Dr. Stallman.

integer overflow is a hell of a thing

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

integer overflow is a hell of a thing

No, he is now like the king solomon of shut in nerds in my book.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Yeah, I mean the dude is smelly and wierd. But he has a phd from MIT, and created a legal hack that had a profound affect on the software most of the world wide web runs on.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
richard stallman is smarter than everybody posting itt and is a force for good in teh world

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

objectively wrong

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"well steve jobs started off his gainfully employed career by plagiarising his best friend's work, was a child support deadbeat, and thought fruit smoothie enemas or whatever loving bullshit would cure his easily-curable-by-actual-medicine cancer then when that didn't work out so great he indirectly murdered somebody by stealing a liver transplant which would have gone to somebody who wasn't a complete medical writeoff by that point BUT GUYS RICHARD STALLMAN ATE SOMETHING OFF HIS FOOT ONCE EWWWWW"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

richard stallman is smarter than everybody posting itt and is a force for good in teh world

lol good one

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

do you honestly believe this

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes

because the dude is almost always right in his predictions and is dedicated to the pursuit of his ideology

one of the few ideologies that start with "we need to defend peoples' freedoms and make the world a better place" and don't end with "so the way to go about that is the mass murder of groups X Y and Z"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

the dude is almost always right in his predictions

such as "gnu hurd will be ready in less than 25 years"?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

do you honestly believe this

Actually, at the risk of being un-cool: yes. I'm not going to idolize him, but there was a period of time where Stallman and the FSF were highly relevant. Reading this licensing crap made me wonder if anyone one else could have harnessed the power of raw autism to create a functioning userland.

Laughing at him now is like laughing when dick van dyke pisses his depends.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

such as "gnu hurd will be ready in less than 25 years"?

gnu hurd has been more or less working for 15 years

turns out, nobody needed it

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

"well steve jobs started off his gainfully employed career by plagiarising his best friend's work, was a child support deadbeat, and thought fruit smoothie enemas or whatever loving bullshit would cure his easily-curable-by-actual-medicine cancer then when that didn't work out so great he indirectly murdered somebody by stealing a liver transplant which would have gone to somebody who wasn't a complete medical writeoff by that point BUT GUYS RICHARD STALLMAN ATE SOMETHING OFF HIS FOOT ONCE EWWWWW"

one of these people helped found the most profitable company ever, the other helped found a sideshow at best

the free market has spoken i feel

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

yes

because the dude is almost always right in his predictions and is dedicated to the pursuit of his ideology

one of the few ideologies that start with "we need to defend peoples' freedoms and make the world a better place" and don't end with "so the way to go about that is the mass murder of groups X Y and Z"

kill the rich lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Actually, at the risk of being un-cool: yes. I'm not going to idolize him, but there was a period of time where Stallman and the FSF were highly relevant. Reading this licensing crap made me wonder if anyone one else could have harnessed the power of raw autism to create a functioning userland.

Laughing at him now is like laughing when dick van dyke pisses his depends.

rms is more relevant than ever

he may be a giant ball of autism but that's not a reason to disregard his ideas

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Forums Terrorist posted:

one of these people helped found the most profitable company ever, the other helped found a sideshow at best

the free market has spoken i feel

Victor Hugo posted:

Be it said in passing, that success is a very hideous thing. Its false resemblance to merit deceives men. For the masses, success has almost the same profile as supremacy. Success, that Menaechmus of talent, has one dupe,—history. Juvenal and Tacitus alone grumble at it. In our day, a philosophy which is almost official has entered into its service, wears the livery of success, and performs the service of its antechamber. Succeed: theory. Prosperity argues capacity. Win in the lottery, and behold! you are a clever man.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

yes

he successfully predicted 14 of the last 6 things he warned about that came true.

the dude has an ethics system i disagree with (he believes that proprietary software is so fundamentally evil that you should quit your job writing proprietary software and work as a waiter instead).

he's fully supported by donations and obviously has an extremely serious mental illness, never causing him to understand what it means to earn a living. he thinks his filing cabinet in his office is a fridge, and had cheese and sandwiches when i visited.

he's actively destroying gcc and gdb by making them worse tools hoping that the technical workarounds keep naughty developers at bay. meanwhile, llvm is just plowing through, showing us what a good tool could be. the llvm codebase is modular and modern, and gcc's is intentionally tightly coupled.

by holding on to his strict fundamentalism, the gnu operating system has steadily grown increasingly irrelevant.

nobody uses gplv3. gplv3 was a flop.

when the fsf is looking for the "most free hardware", that doesn't necessarily mean that the firmware is open-source. it just means that the firmware is burned onto a ROM and you can't upgrade it. the ethics system there is that the manufacturer shouldn't have any freedoms you don't have, but you usually end up buying closed poo poo you can't replace.

otherwise, all my conversations with him have been about him correcting me, a considerable number of times, to say "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux". this is on a mailing list of a GNU project full of engineers who already know the distinction. i was saying "Linux" because i was specifically referencing a specific part of the Linux kernel, which i gave a link to.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
oh yeah. he actively tried to shut down a widely successful crowdfunding campaign raising $60,000 because the site it was hosted on used non-free javascript.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't understand. What non profit isn't supported by donations?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

lmao if you think software freedom matters in a significant way to the majority of people

no one cares if their software is open source because most people are not computer literate and thus even if it were they wouldn't be able to do anything with it so malicious actors can just slip poo poo in and you're back to square one

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i used to be more wowed the by the idea of open source when i was in high school, but these days i'm just willing to pay for poo poo that works out of the box so i can get things done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

and don't even try and say "oh but the ~community~ will catch it" because we all saw how that went with openssl

the prevalent trend in open source software it seems is to just do what red hat and canonical and all the big companies are doing and helping them fix poo poo; that's not open source, that's unpaid labour