Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

50% of those cars have N stickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

quote:

Bill Stevens, the CEO of Mushroom Canada, is pushing for a reprieve.

"Frankly, it's crisis with us because we're losing workers who don't want to leave, who have proven themselves to be valuable, and deserve an opportunity to apply for citizenship," Stevens said.

Stevens says the $900-million mushroom industry relies on temporary foreign workers to do jobs it can't fill with Canadian citizens.

The nearly $1 000 000 000 industry requires indentured servitude. There is literally no way that the nearly $1 000 000 000 can run with ordinary, presently unemployed, Canadians :qq: :qq: :qq:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Eat poo poo future shop

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Alberta cigar tax up $0.75 to $7.03/cigar, or 116%, whichever is lower.

Fist gently caress Prentice in the rear end.

Should have been saving up your RalphBucks for this rainy day. Taxpayers know what to do with their money better than governments!

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
My smokes cost more this morning.

Moving.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Should have been saving up your RalphBucks for this rainy day. Taxpayers know what to do with their money better than governments!

It's not just that cigars have become more expensive on a personal level, though, since it's cost-effective to order from mail-order sites located on Mohawk land, or bring in duty-free from lower-tax jurisdictions as others have already noted. It's also about the fact that the availability and selection of cigars is almost sure to suffer locally because retailers will be unable or unwilling to carry as much stock, and some may actually decide to shut down or run in a severely reduced format. Besides, when I bring cigars in from other jurisdictions, the government sees no excise tax revenue instead of some excise tax revenue, so it's completely counterproductive.

Besides which, if the government just allowed retailers to remit excise taxes instead of applying them at the wholesale level, they could literally double the rate, and their revenue without affecting retail prices in this way.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also the more cigar prices go up, the longer it will take for PT6A to get lung cancer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eXXon posted:

Also the more cigar prices go up, the longer it will take for PT6A to get lung cancer.

Mouth or throat is more likely, actually, since you don't inhale from cigars. :eng101:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Smoking bans are good public health policy, good waste management policy, and an appropriate way to get people with too much money to buy ridiculously taxed bullshit. I'm all for it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

next Alberta tax raising scheme will be a new cowboy hat tax

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I bet this year's calgary rodeo is going to be hilarious.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

actually everyday is the Calgary stampede aka local Albertan girls running to happy hour.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Stampede sucks all the time. I get the gently caress out of this town every year when it happens. For some reason, I keep coming back when it's over.

If Prentice was serious about raising revenues, he should implement a special tax on brodozer accessories.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

Stampede sucks all the time.

Nah, it's good from 1:30-4 every day and then a bit longer on the final weekend.

All the poo poo that goes on around it tends to be heinous, though.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
Our Futureshit has Bestbuy coming soon! poo poo all over the windows now.

More of the same? I looked at a Bestbuy flyer and it's just Futureshop with a different color scheme. Dumb.

I'm gonna start importing my smokes from Ontario reserves. $33 a carton beats $90 anyday of the week.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I want Harper to visit the Stampede this year and have it play out like that episode of The Simpsons where Homer is in charge of garbage disposal and happily shows up at the office where all of his disgruntled garbage men are waiting for their paycheques.

"Ahhh, good to be home, away from all the politics, where people love me :)"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Amos Moses posted:

Our Futureshit has Bestbuy coming soon! poo poo all over the windows now.

More of the same? I looked at a Bestbuy flyer and it's just Futureshop with a different color scheme. Dumb.

I'm gonna start importing my smokes from Ontario reserves. $33 a carton beats $90 anyday of the week.

Yeah, ever since BestBuy bought FS they just sell exactly the same poo poo at basically exactly the same price.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

Yeah, ever since BestBuy bought FS they just sell exactly the same poo poo at basically exactly the same price.

Yep. It's literally the exact same store in a different color. Surprisingly a large amount of people think they're competitors.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They have different sales. It isn't exactly the same. Plus one is red and white and one is blue and yellow, this is important.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They also had different sales at times. you could take the future shop flyer into best buy and get extra money off. When a TV is $1000 at future shop and $1600 at best buy, you could bring the future shop flyer in to best buy and get it for $940.

For midnight releases of consoles and games, it also split the lines into 2 groups, which matters when there are 200 people, 4 tills, and each transaction takes 18 minutes because they are required to give you the entire warranty speech every time.

it's also one more big empty anchor store which quickly leads to big empty malls. once sears is gone, over half of the anchor stores in the local malls here are gone leaving just the bay, safeway, and walmart.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 29, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol paying more than 500$ for a tv

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Powershift posted:

it's also one more big empty anchor store which quickly leads to big empty malls. once sears is gone, over half of the anchor stores in the local malls here are gone leaving just the bay, safeway, and walmart.

Which is to say Safeway and Walmart because I swear to christ I've never seen a living soul inside The Bay at my nearby mall

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Count Canuckula posted:

Which is to say Safeway and Walmart because I swear to christ I've never seen a living soul inside The Bay at my nearby mall

During christmas, you can park right outside the bay and walk through it so you don't have to walk from the back of the parking lot in the cold.

On your trip through to the mall, you can see all the stuff they used to sell in stores, and get blasted by nasty rear end perfume right by the exit to the mall.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Which is to say walmart because Safeway had locations closed that were too close to parent company sobeys.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Powershift posted:

Yep, like if you were the Landsdowne mall manager (Richmond BC), what the gently caress do you do with this situation (re-added Future Shop and Target labels)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That parcel of land is a gold mine. You think they care the mall has been dead since 1999?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That parcel of land is a gold mine. You think they care the mall has been dead since 1999?

Who owns it? At the closest mall to me (Lynn Valley Centre), Bosa bought it and has shut down a whole side, but they have to keep the majority of the mall because some stores are on 10 year leases.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Reverse Centaur posted:

Who owns it? At the closest mall to me (Lynn Valley Centre), Bosa bought it and has shut down a whole side, but they have to keep the majority of the mall because some stores are on 10 year leases.

No idea. very mysterious.
http://www.richmond-news.com/news/big-changes-targeted-for-lansdowne-centre-1.1748043

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yep, like if you were the Landsdowne mall manager (Richmond BC), what the gently caress do you do with this situation (re-added Future Shop and Target labels)

Turn the Future Shop into laser tag? Or some other weird gimmick like a rock climbing gym? I know! FOUR brewpubs!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Professor Shark posted:

The nearly $1 000 000 000 industry requires indentured servitude. There is literally no way that the nearly $1 000 000 000 can run with ordinary, presently unemployed, Canadians :qq: :qq: :qq:

I politics published the worst hit piece on the same subject. The author also had the balls to tell me to think of the farmers when I wrote in to say he was full of poo poo.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-magazine/vancouvers-high-tech-makeover/article23614007/

:jerkbag: :jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

Also, you know you're dealing with a loving idiot when they refer to the DTES as ~*railtown*~ :bahgawd:

Hold the loving presses on Sony Pictures and all the Post Houses and Film stuff up in Vancouver.

17%? 17?!??!?!??

A lot of the work gets subsidized at 58% for BC residents... [anyone, usually folks on TFWs, who reside for 1 year in BC]. BC is handing out half a billion dollars in handouts and renting work from everywhere else.

Half the VFX guys in LA got hit with the choice of "Move to Vancouver or lose your job".

I was absolutely happy in California until I got sucked into the Vancouver black hole. I'm working at a Vancouver film house now and I'm the only Canadian in my department. Everyone else is TFW's or former TFW"s with PR cards. We're getting tons of overtime and money, most of it being paid for by taxpayers.

And they're not permanent jobs. It's Hollywood. It's all 3-6 month contract gigs. Project hires. Set up with computer workstations, fancy chairs if you are lucky and ikea desks. There's no infrastructure and once people here realize this the party is over and the jobs will be gone in a month.

It's the biggest scam the big LA studios got going, get taxpayers to pay for production in trade for "jobs". ie. Bring in experienced people from other parts of the world and dump them into a subsidized location for a few months and pocket the savings.

Quebec is killing their subsidy program off over the next few years, I hope BC does the same.. I just want to go back to my house instead of living in a overpriced glass box in a city of cookie cutter glass boxes .

:argh:

Heck, they wouldn't need to have a transit tax vote, just cut the films nonsense [Because you see WB, Disney, Sony, Paramount and Universal are all begging for change on the downtown east side you see...] and you got a half a billion dollars a year to go back into the general fund.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 29, 2015

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Big K of Justice posted:

It's the biggest scam the big LA studios got going, get taxpayers to pay for production in trade for "jobs". ie. Bring in experienced people from other parts of the world and dump them into a subsidized location for a few months and pocket the savings.

This is a huge problem in the vfx industry as I'm sure you know- companies keep chasing the subsidies and the workers have to be highly mobile, highly educated (to get visas in all sorts of countries), job insecure, and are paid poo poo compared to the bullshit they put up with.

The companies keep crying that if you give them subsidies they'll move to your city, and then if there are better subsidies on offer elsewhere they strongarm the government into giving them a better deal, or they'll move, taking XXX jobs with them. And they do move because there's always some other prick government out there that wants to 'poach' those jobs. But what actually happens is that they import the vast majority of the staff for those XXX jobs, who don't set down roots and help the economy long term because they know they'll need to move countries again when the sweet sweet subsidies dry up. You might get some shitkicker jobs at the lowest levels for the locals, but all the well paid, highly trained people disappear when the company moves again. Oh, and in the meantime they've hosed your labour laws to suit themselves and even after the income and sales taxes there's a good chance you've spent more on subsidies than brought in.

Seriously, stop subsidising industries that aren't important to national security.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Strong Convections posted:

Seriously, stop subsidising industries that aren't important to national security.

When I worked in West LA, there was a Culiver City Salads food truck that hung around the sony lots selling meals.

The other day I was over at Olympic Village and I saw that same food truck here in Van City. Well poo poo they got the food trucks making the trek up here following all the film workers who left LA.

Thing is governments figure out its a bad deal pretty quickly. They're happy at first because they're the politician that brought BIG NAME STUDIO to our fair city. Then a few million comes out of the budget. Then a few more studios figure it out and the next thing you know you're at half a billion dollars in subsidies with no end in sight.

Sony did the same thing in New Mexico and it lasted a few years until the government pulled the plug. It's going to be a good few years in Vancouver with good work and wages.. but nothing lasts forever.. the bubble will pop [like it did in Quebec, they just announced they're killing off the film production credits over the next few years]. That leaves BC as the only significant subsidy location for large US firms in Canada.

No faster way to turn a dollar into a few cents than film subsidies. I remember when the programs started out innocently enough. It was meant for Canadian companies and for canadian content. It grew out of control. Don' t tell me that Avengers loving Two or Star Trek 3 needs any taxpayer money in BC. I watched the idiots over in reddit's vancouver forum get all excited that Star Trek 3 is coming to town but not realizing that its all on their dime.

Pro tip: Hollywood will show up anywhere for a party if you supply the hookers and blow.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Strong Convections posted:

This part tickled me because I just read this gem from GIP.

GyverMac posted:

Heh, speaking of military selling and giving away poo poo; A couple of years back, my country (Norway) sold off a 4 billion underground submarine base for nickles and dimes to a private business man. This business man then turned around and sold it to the russians. Now a russian "research" company is using it. As an added bonus the prime minister who greenlighted the sale is now the secretary general of NATO. :woop:

I can see these sorts of shenanigans happening here though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bartlebyshop posted:

Turn the Future Shop into laser tag? Or some other weird gimmick like a rock climbing gym? I know! FOUR brewpubs!

OK and then what in five years when Best Buy and Toys R Us also succumb to the Amazon/Walmart tag team of destruction?

But yeah obviously the whole thing will be redeveloped, being Richmond after all. It's gonna be weird when the only things people buy in person are food and prescriptions.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Reverse Centaur posted:

Leases can be bought out if you're willing to put enough money on the table.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

bartlebyshop posted:

FOUR brewpubs!

Craft beer is not, and probably will never be, a thing in Richmond.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Big K of Justice posted:

Heck, they wouldn't need to have a transit tax vote, just cut the films nonsense [Because you see WB, Disney, Sony, Paramount and Universal are all begging for change on the downtown east side you see...] and you got a half a billion dollars a year to go back into the general fund.

It also says something about the powerful Vancouver economy when they only way they can attract companies for temp gig is with piles of tax credits.

The Vancouver tech industry is a similar joke, basically ends up being a halfway house for foreign workers waiting on training or US visa approvals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

OK and then what in five years when Best Buy and Toys R Us also succumb to the Amazon/Walmart tag team of destruction?

But yeah obviously the whole thing will be redeveloped, being Richmond after all. It's gonna be weird when the only things people buy in person are food and prescriptions.

Prescriptions will probably be done in person for some time yet, but I think Canada's just behind the curve when it comes to grocery delivery.

It's actually one of the delivery services I want the most. It's trivial now to order prepared food from pretty much anywhere, why can't we have the same thing with ingredients? I hate grocery shopping with a passion.