Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So most of my first City of 12000 has apparently died to the plague or something and my Hydro Electric Dam is on the loving blink. What can I do? Just wait for everything to return to stability then rebuild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Fixing bullshit traffic in this game is the shittiest part of it. There's a traffic jam here that springs out of nowhere, caused entirely by cars changing lanes. They're so desperate to not be in the lane leaving the highway that they come to a complete standstill even when there's no cars on it.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

Looks pretty but please tell me real-world highway engineers don't line the slip roads with trees :stonk:

That's usual in Belgium too, to the point I never really questioned it. What freaks you out, the potential for totalling a car in the trees? There's usually a metal or concrete ramp between the road and the line of trees.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

My industry, no matter what kind of industry, starts to go through harsh cycles of abandonment then rebuilding. As my city gets larger it gets worse until at any given moment 50% or more of it is abandoned or begging for workers. This doesn't seem to be slowing down my income so I haven't spent too much effort trying to figure out a "fix" since as long as the cash is rolling in there is nothing to fix from my point of view.

Just adding more residences nearby or ways to commute to work doesn't seem to do the trick, haven't tried much else.

I've had that happen in my game too. From what I've seen, it's because educated workers fill jobs that fit their education level first, so (in a typical city with loads of highly educated cims) level 1 industry (that mostly wants uneducated workers) gets outcompeted by commercial and offices in their search for workers . Since they need to have enough workers to function to upgrade to level 2, they get stuck in a cycle of abandonment and rebuilding until enough overeducated cims decide to work there, and quickly upgrade to level 3, at which point it stabilises since .

I've fixed it by building a few residential districts with no commerce or office zones. Now, almost all of my industry is level 3... and about to be abandoned because there aren't enough lvl.3 commercial buildings wanting to buy their wares.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Is there a way to unbind keys? I can't seem to find that option.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Praseodymi posted:

Fixing bullshit traffic in this game is the shittiest best part of it.

Fixed that for you.
This is secretly a puzzle game.

All I can make out from that picture is that your ramps, your on-ramp onto the highway before the congestion in particular, are rather short. The traffic can't really flow very well when cars can't pick up speed on the way to the highway. And while I would have to see more of your city, I get the feeling that there are way too many short off-ramps, which is what might make the AI freak out a bit as it doesn't want to leave the Highway yet, so it desperately tries to avoid the lane that would suggest it might use one of the off-ramps that's only a few squares ahead.

Some of these don't even seem to see all that much traffic, so you might want to direct traffic through a different point of your city rather than giving all these cars the option to get off the highway at any point, which just slows down your highway as far as fluid transit is concerned. It's fine having a few chokepoints that can disperse the traffic over a wider area, as long as those chokepoints don't have too many intersections. I usually only have two or three off-ramps from the highway into a dense district of my city.

EDIT: Looking at it again, you could try and remove the ramp to the left that goes onto the Highway before the congestion. There's no reason for that ramp to exist given that there is one further down to the right that accomplishes the same thing and your cims are unlikely to want to leave the Highway with the off-ramp that's immediately following it if they only just got onto the Highway. It's a bit pointless to have an off-ramp immediately following an on-ramp from the same part of the city. Should be the other way around.

Allowing cims to get off the highway before getting new cims on the Highway lightens the overall load on the Highway in that specific area as well and doesn't cause those that want to leave to ever interfere with those that want to get on it.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 29, 2015

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Zwiebel posted:

Fixed that for you.
This is secretly a puzzle game.

Exactly. Hell they could make a traffic unfucking mobile app that sends me other people's traffic issues and I'd happily untangle and debug spaghetti junctions all the livelong day. What's not to love about creating order from chaos?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Someone should make a cities skyline trucker mod

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I looked into the modding a little bit because I wanted to swap trains and metro in the unlock progression (and maybe tweak the price/upkeep a bit) but couldn't figure it out quickly enough so instead I installed this mod and just unlocked trains from the start. Useful if you're like me and it bothers you that metro comes first in the progression.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411769510

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yesterday I was coming off the highway, and all the right turning cars were in a single lane despite there being two right turn lanes.

Realistic AI confirmed.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
Anyone come across this issue?

I'm guessing it's because i've installed a crapload of mods and either something is loving it up or i'm having some memory issues.

It's always that same area, and if i move the camera any closer then the buildings will show back up again. I'm not complaining, because I did go rather nuts on the mods and am surprised it's working at all.

On an unrelated (probably not) note, i'm starting to regret clicking SUBSCRIBE ALL on a few collections. You end up with buildings that are unusual sizes that do not have buildings of a higher level at the same size, so you end up stuck with the lower level building.

e: amusingly if a building changes state, say catches on fire or is getting re-built, it's viewable at long range still.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Squido posted:

Anyone come across this issue?

This showed up back in the week before release during stream, so I think it's unrelated to mods.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

poo poo that annoys me: no u-turns at junctions, you have to add a little spur at the end to allow anyone to turn around.

Always got some wonky poo poo going on at the end of my bus routes:

loving garbage trucks follow the green line rather than red :qq:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

poo poo that annoys me: no u-turns at junctions, you have to add a little spur at the end to allow anyone to turn around.

Always got some wonky poo poo going on at the end of my bus routes:

loving garbage trucks follow the green line rather than red :qq:

I don't think cars can make u-turns in intersections on the same road. Just make a short side road next to the upper dump.

Squido
May 21, 2005

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This showed up back in the week before release during stream, so I think it's unrelated to mods.

OH CHRIST THE CANCER IS SPREADING

perhaps it's like my brain, when I learn something new, I forget something old. Shouldn't have built that new district.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Squido posted:

perhaps it's like my brain, when I learn something new, I forget something old. Shouldn't have built that new district.

I really like the look, it's like someone just decided to remove an entire district.

Squido
May 21, 2005
I like to think of them as concrete parks.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Squido posted:

Speaking of, these would be nice. Anything I add with trees to industrial areas quickly becomes Mordor Forest Park with the whole dying brown vegetation thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wit posted:

Speaking of, these would be nice. Anything I add with trees to industrial areas quickly becomes Mordor Forest Park with the whole dying brown vegetation thing.

Just make a few treeless plazas.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Squido posted:

wit posted:

The asset editor is there for the using! And it is really easy to use. Here is a custom plaza I made for my Oppression Office.

Also my city's Central Park equivalent contains about 8-9 custom made parks.

I've also made some industrial themed parks. For example, I just threw this container yard "park" together in about 10 minutes, and that was with some fiddling.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The asset editor is there for the using! And it is really easy to use. Here is a custom plaza I made for my Oppression Office.

Also my city's Central Park equivalent contains about 8-9 custom made parks.

I've also made some industrial themed parks. For example, I just threw this container yard "park" together in about 10 minutes, and that was with some fiddling.

What's the deal with Workshop stuff? I subscribed to couple of parks that are dirt cheap and provide no benefit (other than I guess looking nice?) and I'd like to change the attributes so that they have real value and real cost - but will changing those foul up the Steam Workshop link? Do assets update automatically? I guess same deal with maps - I've got a couple maps that could use a bit of tweaking.

For those of you having fun with the Zion Canyon map - this Sognefjord map is also pretty cool with having to work around mountainsides and ocean. A bit more space than Zion Canyon and a bit less crazy on the relief.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415358474

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wit posted:

Exactly. Hell they could make a traffic unfucking mobile app that sends me other people's traffic issues and I'd happily untangle and debug spaghetti junctions all the livelong day. What's not to love about creating order from chaos?

Isn't that what Cities in Motion was ?? I never took a look at it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

the42ndtourist posted:

What's the deal with Workshop stuff? I subscribed to couple of parks that are dirt cheap and provide no benefit (other than I guess looking nice?) and I'd like to change the attributes so that they have real value and real cost - but will changing those foul up the Steam Workshop link? Do assets update automatically? I guess same deal with maps - I've got a couple maps that could use a bit of tweaking.

I'm not sure, I've mostly created my own parks when I wanted/needed something different. I've been trying to keep the stats roughly similar to existing parks using these statistics.

One thing you could try is opening the offending custom park in the editor, making your changes, and then saving it under a new name, then unsubscribing from the original version.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Molentik posted:

Any tips on how to do proper bus lines?

Auto Line color is the only tool I've seen that will let you make sense of lines. In my city I have a central broadway running down the middle of the city with about six different lines, that cross over/under two subway lines and a train line, being able to auto-color them, and then selectively turn them on and off helps troubleshoot which lines aren't connecting at which stops, etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408760323&searchtext=

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Here's my first real go at a cross over intersection (don't know the naming terminology). I've done on ramps and off ramps and I've used workshop interchanges that others have created, but I had a fairly unique size I needed to fit here (the map edge is right at the bottom of the image - the red truck has left my map border).

Here's a closer look.

I really just wish for a smoothing tool on the roads. It's hard to get them to slope or curve perfectly when you're dealing with tight spaces for the pylons.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

This is my first city where I've put time and effort into it. Eventually I learned to stop worrying and love the RAMP which can be seen as you look to glorious HELLPASS. Also started accurately naming my districts, though beautiful Dusty poo poo Springs to the south isn't visible.

I don't understand why but whatever this poo poo is it solved some problems.

After looking at these screenshots I realized I totally dropped the ball and renamed my whole city Dusty Springfield.

Colonel Corazon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 29, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Well guys, project poopdam did not go as anticipated. Well, scratch that. I guess it went exactly as anticipated.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In addition to my Cartagena map (which is great by the way, spent way too many hours playing it last night), I've created an Algers map, another port city.

Hadlock's Workshop posted:

but this time sitting up against some steep rocky hillsides. I used terrain party, but went through and smoothed out the playable parts while still keeping in the rough terrain that makes building between the mountains and the sea a challenge. As you spread further from the port city it opens up in to flatter terrain but still with rocky outcrops.

Being a major oil port, this map is loaded with oil resources along the coast.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416305161

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hadlock posted:

Auto Line color is the only tool I've seen that will let you make sense of lines. In my city I have a central broadway running down the middle of the city with about six different lines, that cross over/under two subway lines and a train line, being able to auto-color them, and then selectively turn them on and off helps troubleshoot which lines aren't connecting at which stops, etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408760323&searchtext=

You should give this one a try, it's just like Auto line Color, except you get a bunch more options AND get to pick your own colors.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KakerMix posted:

You should give this one a try, it's just like Auto line Color, except you get a bunch more options AND get to pick your own colors.

You can pick your own colors in the vanilla game?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

If one roundabout can't fix it, try two:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Elman posted:

I like the cut of your jib.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I feel like metro needs to have a much higher upkeep or something needs to happen to make passenger trains worth it. Playing the same map and it's night and day having used trains last time and metros this time. My train system buckled at 150k population with serious train jams and long commute times while my metro can handle 400k+ without trouble.

Maybe a DLC that makes tourists actually matter. Or a bigger station that can handle more than 2 trains at a time, I dunno.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Elman posted:

I think you've got an extra useless ramp in the top right.

Also, try three roundabouts next time!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Squido posted:

Game over. User wins.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Game over. User wins.

This is exactly what I was thinking. RIP Enzo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One more, Florianopolis, Brazil. It's like this city was designed IRL for this game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416349676

Hadlocks Workshop posted:

Florianopolis Brazil is south of Rio de Janerio, and Sao Paulo. It is a rocky island with beautiful beaches facing the south atlantic. It is also a transportation nightmare, with a single brige connecting it with the mainland, and housing the regional seaports.

In real life, the British Embassy is sponsoring studies qualifying urban mobility projects for Florianópolis, and believes that “Florianópolis deserves much better transportation than it has.” The fact that the region recently experienced an economic boom and has special tax treatment. “It could be a very interesting gateway to Brazil,".

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I love interchanges.

No traffic issues, goods keep flowing. City actually exports five times more than it imports because there's quite a bit of industry around.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So jealous of you guys and your awesome looking cities. I keep getting to about 40k pop and end up like 'How do I even fix this without wrecking the whole city' and end up starting over. Repeat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Next time post it to the thread and we'll give advice and/or figure out how to fix it.

Or maybe we'll just make it worse! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So when do rails stop being useless for transport? One side of my city jumps through a lot of hoops to avoid a passenger line and I'm not actually sure it's worth it.

Also it looks like I have a ghost street in my save game--I have one road that leads from a street into the river, but it's only visible from certain angles. Not sure there's a Tessaract unlockable, so that's kinda odd.