Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NTT posted:

Do I still need to tell someone in my unit I have a name on a lease for type 2 or is that automated and everyone gets it without much fuss?

Ask your admin people, but it should still be automatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

White Chocolate posted:

Also we are (lol) scheduled for a 33 day JRTC rotation, the second one of two back to back rotations. I don't think that they will keep the days with NYC BAH for most of my Soldiers, but I could be wrong. What are the chances of them cutting it down to 21 days? Likely? Unlikely? This is after the first change in dates to support the mission.

The first one is 21 days

With only 60 pax, the BAH alone would be over $200k

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
A double edged sword: Nobody stays because if we're here for a minute longer than we're supposed to be the unit goes bankrupt, also you will not be getting paid mad stacks just for being here

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
HHC at OCS is weirdly chill, candidates ordering pizza and going out to subway and using their phones yet I have a sense of impending doom for when we class up.

On second thought those are really normal things to do on a Saturday. Sand Hill has warped my mind.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
T

Mustang posted:

HHC at OCS is weirdly chill, candidates ordering pizza and going out to subway and using their phones yet I have a sense of impending doom for when we class up.

On second thought those are really normal things to do on a Saturday. Sand Hill has warped my mind.

the first week is serious also land nav is a mofo where half the class fails out. Other than that it is not so difficult if you have your poo poo together.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Do those poor souls at RASP hold still have to sprint to the OCS dfac five minutes before closing on weekends when the cadre just peace the gently caress out and the barracks are complete anarchy being ran by the single E5 candidate who was unaware that every dfac within the footprint were closed, and hold was on lockdown?

You'll notice them by their shaved heads and two quart man-purse. Those cooks must have been pissed but the OCS dfac is pretty fancy for a dfac.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Justin Tyme posted:

Do those poor souls at RASP hold still have to sprint to the OCS dfac five minutes before closing on weekends when the cadre just peace the gently caress out and the barracks are complete anarchy being ran by the single E5 candidate who was unaware that every dfac within the footprint were closed, and hold was on lockdown?

You'll notice them by their shaved heads and two quart man-purse. Those cooks must have been pissed but the OCS dfac is pretty fancy for a dfac.

I believe they go to the new airborne dfac now, as that would line up with the story someone told me the same description when he went through jump school

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
The best part of being stationed on Ft Benning was eating at the subway and watching the RASP/Airborne school guys run around in silly helmets and canteens while I drank my extra large soda.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Apparently the company I'll be in is in the barracks by the airborn guys and uses the airborn dfac which is supposedly better than the OCS dfac.

Older barracks but closer to building 4 which is where I think most of the classes will be.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Back when BOLC II existed our barracks were right next to the OCS ones. There were two OCS DFACs- a regular one and a fancier one with better food candidates got to use for the last week or two of school. We kept crashing the nice one since ours was sort of poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Back when BOLC II existed our barracks were right next to the OCS ones. There were two OCS DFACs- a regular one and a fancier one with better food candidates got to use for the last week or two of school. We kept crashing the nice one since our was sort of poo poo.

Hahahaha BOLC II...we did the same thing. The OCS DFAC was probably the nicest one in the immediate area, though as with anything in BOLC II it wasn't hard for literally anywhere else to be better than them at any given thing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BOLC II cadre and some ROTC units seemed to be the place terminal captains were sent to die. Guys who had a deployment in, didn't want to go to six months of career course, and were looking forward to the good life civilian side.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BOLC II cadre and some ROTC units seemed to be the place terminal captains were sent to die. Guys who had a deployment in, didn't want to go to six months of career course, and were looking forward to the good life civilian side.

We had a hard charger that was only at Benning to get to various schools, and a terminally burned out set of NCOs working under him. He loved to yell at us for being unable to do proper pushups, but that shut down right quick when he got sent home from ranger school for failing pushups on the PT test :haw:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Whoever loving thought 120 fresh commissionees straight out of college with a new officer's paycheck in a single dorm was a good idea was retardedgenius

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Every cadre officer at BOLC II was broke, and every NCO was just about to retire or get medically separated. The Army wasted a lot of my time, but BOLC II was impressively pointless.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

iKon posted:

Every cadre officer at BOLC II was broke, and every NCO was just about to retire or get medically separated. The Army wasted a lot of my time, but BOLC II was impressively pointless.

It was so impressively pointless that the army actually canned the entire program. That's amazing in and of itself.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I want to see a sea of shining mustangs and chargers everywhere I look in a training environment

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

One LT in my class had a Challenger and another had a used BMW. I was still driving my beater from college.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was so impressively pointless that the army actually canned the entire program. That's amazing in and of itself.

The logic is off, here. It was pointless but they couldn't justify a decade of studies and reevaluations into its effectiveness because you can't spread the manufacturing of parts for the BOLC II assembly line across multiple congressional districts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We had a Westpointer in my EBOLC class who was super proud of his 6 cylinder, automatic Camaro that he bought for MSRP.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
whats bolc? basic officer leadershit course?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
infantry officers go to infantry basic officer leadership course, or ibolc. had an LT who called it "i-ball-lick." hope this helps.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Kneejerk response to lieutenants graduating signal and logistics schools with zero ability to personally perform, look for, or enforce things like "reading a map" and "cleaning weapons".

After my BOLC iteration I learned the source of the problems originated much earlier in the pipeline

in the recruiter's office

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Armor school taught me what happens when 100+ guys run out of nicotine on day five of a twelve day FTX. Other highlights include: a Lebanese exchange officer shoving a Big Mac in my hand like it was drugs and telling me to eat before the cadre saw, volunteering for 2 AM nights shifts to smoke cigars and listen to Stevie Wonder so I could have some time to myself, and watching tanks break in every conceivable way. I think we had three complete engine replacements total during the exercise along with all the various track and suspension issues.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Regarding the OP and excessive requirements:

Last year at this time we had annual training for some reason or other. During the exercise, all of the NCOs and officers had to go to a talk given by LTG Talley, Chief of the Army Reserve. During this talk he straight-up told us that it is completely impossible for Reserve and NG units to actually complete all training requirements in a year. There simply are not enough drill and AT days.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Armor school taught me what happens when 100+ guys run out of nicotine on day five of a twelve day FTX. Other highlights include: a Lebanese exchange officer shoving a Big Mac in my hand like it was drugs and telling me to eat before the cadre saw, volunteering for 2 AM nights shifts to smoke cigars and listen to Stevie Wonder so I could have some time to myself, and watching tanks break in every conceivable way. I think we had three complete engine replacements total during the exercise along with all the various track and suspension issues.

on a long enough timeline, everyone will suck a dick for a cigarette.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Kiryen posted:

Regarding the OP and excessive requirements:

Last year at this time we had annual training for some reason or other. During the exercise, all of the NCOs and officers had to go to a talk given by LTG Talley, Chief of the Army Reserve. During this talk he straight-up told us that it is completely impossible for Reserve and NG units to actually complete all training requirements in a year. There simply are not enough drill and AT days.

That is truth right there. And there is no money to fix it either, is there.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cole posted:

on a long enough timeline, everyone will suck a dick for a cigarette.

what if you dont smoke? (cigs or dicks)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

what if you dont smoke? (cigs or dicks)

non smokers get smoked when the smokes run out

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
This is why I always bring sunflower seeds on a field OP. Always.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Engineer BOLC was super gay and couldn't decide if it wanted to be a gentleman's course teaching civil engineering, construction project management, route clearance, obstacle integration, and mobility/countermobility/survivability planning (you know, the things that engineers actually do while deployed), or a gay as gently caress combat arms course with hooah poo poo like rucking the sapper course that's basically useless in the real world.

e: Oh wait, the post OEF/OIF world is stupid poo poo like going on ruck marches so I guess my post is invalid in TYOOL 2015.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 30, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

Oh wait, the post OEF/OIF world is stupid poo poo like going on ruck marches so I guess my post is invalid in TYOOL 2015.

Insha'Allah

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Hail Satan.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Is IBOLC basically pre-ranger now?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Has is ever not been? Every IBOLC LT is supposed to get a shot at ranger school. Meanwhile QMBOLC we started with 6 slots and ended with 2, oops sorry no reservists/guard...jk lols

cravius posted:

Is IBOLC basically pre-ranger now?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Active duty IBOLC students who don't desire to go to Ranger school have to give an in-person explanation to the IBLOC commander why.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

As annoying as it was to be an artillery officer in an infantry unit, I felt way worse for the tab-less infantry guys. They received hourly "lol why are you here shitbag" reminders from all sources, E2 to O5. D co was of course the hugbox for the tab-less folks, same as the fat junior NCOs and unpopular senior NCOs hated by all, but totally un-fireable in the light infantry days of the late 00's. We had an armorer try to eat his way out of a deployment but he worked too hard at his job to really commit to getting chaptered.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

As annoying as it was to be an artillery officer in an infantry unit, I felt way worse for the tab-less infantry guys. They received hourly "lol why are you here shitbag" reminders from all sources, E2 to O5. D co was of course the hugbox for the tab-less folks, same as the fat junior NCOs and unpopular senior NCOs hated by all, but totally un-fireable in the light infantry days of the late 00's. We had an armorer try to eat his way out of a deployment but he worked too hard at his job to really commit to getting chaptered.

Truer words have never been spoken about a D co in light infantry

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Pesticide20 posted:

Truer words have never been spoken about a D co in light infantry

The crappy part is the D co mission in LI requires some brains, and a lot of the joes there had that (relatively speaking), but words like "this makes more sense let's do it this way" induced vessel-bursting rage in our CO who heard it all as "FAT FAT LAZY BAD SOLDIER RANGER WASHOUT FAT ACTUALLY DOES LEG DAY AT THE GYM FAT"

edit- I was in a task-organized rifle company that swapped one platoon with D co

edit 2- that D co commander later got an OTH or general for getting ratted out / not being popular whileallowing detainee abuse

Zeris fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What are the specialty roles for companies in LI? I spent my life in a CAB, so doctrinally it was A&B running screens in brads/humvees and C&D running heavy with tanks.

• Locked thread