Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Military deployment is one of the few situations where a gaming laptop make sense, you won't get flak. I don't know much, but there was a discussion a few pages back that talked about Clevo/Sagers being the best choice?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

MonkeyFit posted:

Looking for:
  • Around $2,000
  • Powerful
  • Build quality
  • <2" in thickness to fit in the rack

depending on how "powerful" you are after, you could take a look at the lenovo y50. with that you could stay closer to 1000 and it's still reasonably laptop sized. There's also the Asus G751 if you want to go all out. The G751 should only be 1.7 inches thick at it's thickest part, might be good to verify that though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MonkeyFit posted:

I read the OP and realize I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, but I'm looking for a gaming laptop. I work on a submarine that's going on deployment and there's no space for a desktop, but I want to be able to play games in my downtime while underway. Space is not at such a premium that I'm looking for the tiniest gaming laptop I can find, it just means I'm forced to go with a laptop in the first place. I haven't looked at laptop technology in over 10 years, as I have been happy with building my own desktops and haven't had a need for a laptop in...ever. I'm looking to spend around $2K, but I have no idea who has quality, powerful machines for around that price point, or anything I should be looking at in particular.

TL;DR: Work on a submarine, want gaming laptop because space.

Looking for:
  • Around $2,000
  • Powerful
  • Build quality

xoticpc.com

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I ran my own law firm for a while before I gave up and went to do doc review. I did my own tech for my firm while it was active.

Would you want to use the computer as a tablet in court or a depo or will you just stick to paper for that? I ask because if you're going to be taking it into court a tablet mode may be better to carry around, so a 2-in-1 may be a better option if that's the case.

You're probably not going to find a built-in dvd drive in a new laptop these days. Just get an external one and throw it in your bag.

The XPS 13 will work with multiple external displays thanks to the display port (IE, your laptop's own display plus 2 external monitors). You may need something like this however (http://www.startech.com/AV/Splitter...1200~SP122DP2HD). However, just one external display won't need any sort of adapter as long as the monitor supports display port. It also has pretty good battery life [(Web surfing via Wi-Fi at 100 nits of screen brightness), the XPS 13 lasted 7 hours and 24 minutes. That's slightly longer than the ultraportable average (7:18), and more than 30 minutes longer than the HP EliteBook Folio 1020 (6:49) and the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro (6:29). However, the MacBook Air endured for 12:20.)]

However it doesn't have a replaceable battery.

You should also check out Libre Office for word processing and Foxit Reader for PDF stuff. I used both exclusively. To ensure that my motions and pleadings never had any errors due to differences in how the software renders the documents I just filed them with the court as PDF's.

Thank you for the insight! My court appearances are limited, as I run a transactional/uncontested practice, so tablet functionality not really necessary. After looking at my options, I think I'm going with the X250 with 8GB and i5 (2.7ghz) and 180 SSD. LibreOffice seems like it will work, as well. Does Foxit Reader do OCR'ing, or do I need to upgrade to the $89.00 version?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MonkeyFit posted:

I read the OP and realize I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, but I'm looking for a gaming laptop. I work on a submarine that's going on deployment and there's no space for a desktop, but I want to be able to play games in my downtime while underway. Space is not at such a premium that I'm looking for the tiniest gaming laptop I can find, it just means I'm forced to go with a laptop in the first place. I haven't looked at laptop technology in over 10 years, as I have been happy with building my own desktops and haven't had a need for a laptop in...ever. I'm looking to spend around $2K, but I have no idea who has quality, powerful machines for around that price point, or anything I should be looking at in particular.

Looking for:
  • Around $2,000
  • Powerful
  • Build quality

Look for something with a 970/980m graphics card. I can't imagine that you'll have internet on a submarine so make sure to bring a backup hard drive or three with all your steam games. If you're getting a thin computer you probably won't be able to fit in a SSD and a hard drive, so budgeting ~$50 or so to bring along an external 1TB drive actually isn't a terrible idea.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

1redflag posted:

Thank you for the insight! My court appearances are limited, as I run a transactional/uncontested practice, so tablet functionality not really necessary. After looking at my options, I think I'm going with the X250 with 8GB and i5 (2.7ghz) and 180 SSD. LibreOffice seems like it will work, as well. Does Foxit Reader do OCR'ing, or do I need to upgrade to the $89.00 version?

I recall only the paid version does OCR.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's like $10/year to subscribe to the OCR feature in Adobe Reader.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Are there laptops that come with MS Office either free or at a decent price ? I was looking at Lenovo and they want 300$ for the version I need. That's the price of some computers that include office, what the hell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's only ever a trial included.

vvv That's still kind of a trial! vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 28, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Aphrodite posted:

It's only ever a trial included.

A lot of cheap systems come with a one year Office 365 subscription included.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Aphrodite posted:

Your current laptop also has another videocard in it so it isn't actually using that HD4000 when you're playing games.

When I view device manager I only see the Intel HD Graphics 4000, so if there's another I'm not sure what it would be.

I've never really tried to upgrade a laptop other than the HD - is it feasible to upgrade a video card in a laptop or is it a big hassle and/or expensive?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

When I view device manager I only see the Intel HD Graphics 4000, so if there's another I'm not sure what it would be.

I've never really tried to upgrade a laptop other than the HD - is it feasible to upgrade a video card in a laptop or is it a big hassle and/or expensive?

As a general rule it's not possible.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

evilweasel posted:

Not a big surprise, thanks.

It's annoyingly hard to find a laptop with a good video card and a good screen. I found a good price on a refurbished Y50 on newegg, but I've seen lots of reviews about it having a terrible screen (also a potentially slow HD, but that is easy enough to change out). Buying desktops is so much easier.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

It's annoyingly hard to find a laptop with a good video card and a good screen.

It's not that difficult, just expensive.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

dissss posted:

Fair enough. I didn't look for anything over $1,250. I'm also terrible at looking for things apparently.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I found a good price on a refurbished Y50 on newegg, but I've seen lots of reviews about it having a terrible screen
You've got to be careful with reviews like that if the laptop can be configured with different panels. You've got to know exactly what panel the reviewer is describing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

dissss posted:

And odds are it will have gaudy gamer branding, or be only technically portable.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

So my x240 that I've had for a little over a year is complete garbage. Issues include:

-Every couple hours the cursor starts flying towards the top right corner of the screen and registering clicks for about 5 seconds. This usually ends up closing all my windows, which is really great. Happens even if I disable TrackPoint, TrackPad, and the touch screen!
-25% of the time I close the laptop lid to put it to sleep, the thing freezes up instead of sleeping, and requires a hard restart. Bonus effect of a dead battery when you pull the frozen laptop out of your bag a few hours later!
-Once every few days moving the laptop while it's on results in the screen going haywire with artifacts, requiring a restart. Active Protection is off.
-The screen ghosts like loving crazy.
-Build quality is poo poo compared to my old x61, x200, and x230. Cracked plastic all over the exterior, while on older models it would just have worn off black paint exposing shiny metal which looked kind of cool.

In the back of my head I thought I'd bought the thing in May, and would just send it in for repair a few weeks before the warranty expired. Bought it in January. Whoops.

I think I'm going to get an Apple for the first time in my life.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MonkeyFit posted:

Looking for:
  • Around $2,000
  • Powerful
  • Build quality

I'd stay away from anything larger than 15.6 inches. Check out the MSI GE62 (or GE62 Pro). You can get it from sites like xoticpc or Amazon. 2 year warranty (for US residents). Can be optioned with a blu ray drive (if that means anything) and has a 2.5in drive bay for a storage drive and 3 M.2 slots if you want to add in an SSD (or two or three). I believe it runs a Samsung PLS display too so viewing angles should be fine.

Did read today though that the Pro model with the gtx970 comes with a barely adequate power supply and will actually drain the battery (albeit slowly; 10-15% per hour) under extreme loads. Of course, MSI markets this as "Hybrid Power".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kreez posted:

So my x240 that I've had for a little over a year is complete garbage. Issues include:

-Every couple hours the cursor starts flying towards the top right corner of the screen and registering clicks for about 5 seconds. This usually ends up closing all my windows, which is really great. Happens even if I disable TrackPoint, TrackPad, and the touch screen!
-25% of the time I close the laptop lid to put it to sleep, the thing freezes up instead of sleeping, and requires a hard restart. Bonus effect of a dead battery when you pull the frozen laptop out of your bag a few hours later!
-Once every few days moving the laptop while it's on results in the screen going haywire with artifacts, requiring a restart. Active Protection is off.
-The screen ghosts like loving crazy.
-Build quality is poo poo compared to my old x61, x200, and x230. Cracked plastic all over the exterior, while on older models it would just have worn off black paint exposing shiny metal which looked kind of cool.

In the back of my head I thought I'd bought the thing in May, and would just send it in for repair a few weeks before the warranty expired. Bought it in January. Whoops.

I think I'm going to get an Apple for the first time in my life.

I've been using Thinkpads since the X60 days and every generation seems to get worse and worse. They are definitely not the solid tank like products we're used to. That said, at the suggestion of one of the laptop thread regulars, I'm linking my SA-Mart thread for a Thinkpad Yoga.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709545

It's just collecting dust in my closet. Maybe someone here wants it. If it's bad form to post a link to a sale, let me know and I'll remove it.

Big_D
Feb 10, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Does that go for laptops that have GPUs as well? I have a Dell Inspiron 7720 (i7-3610QM w/ GT 650M) that I'm starting to consider upgrading/replacing later this year. I was hoping to hold out for Skylake M, but if it isn't out until next year, I might not wait--or I might just get a desktop for gaming this fall, and relegate the laptop to comms (e.g., Skype/E-Mail/browsing).

I'm somewhat torn, because while it's been a good machine, even handling Skyrim at half-decent settings (it helps that I'm not a heavy FPSer), I'm not sure it's going to be up to things that I'd like to get into, like Elite/Squadron42. I had almost sworn off desktops because my laptops were "good enough", but I'm not seeing a lot of $1K acceptable machines anymore; the market looks almost like it's been split into $2K+ FPS rigs and $600 Minesweeper machines.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, the graphics card isn't a separate thing like it is in a PC.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I mainly use a desktop and haven't bought a laptop in about 10 years so I'm kind of out of the loop on what's a good deal, or if its a good time to wait vs. buy. My fiance has used an iPad for a long time, but its reaching the end of its life and she's said she wanted a laptop to replace it. Main use is going to be browsing, movies, casual gaming, storing photos, etc.

Just from initial research and shopping around, I like this: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00S44HXRW/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KX7R5N2RBMPU&coliid=I1T2OJAN54SZNS
It's an ASUS Zenbook UX303LA-DS51T 13.3-Inch FHD Display Touchscreen Laptop (5th Gen Broadwell) if you don't want to click. I figured the touch-screen would be a good transition from the iPad.

Am I overspending on this? Is there a better website to buy from, or a different laptop anyone would suggest for at or under the price?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 13" Macbook Pro with Retina to replace my old Core 2 Duo MBP. Is there anything nutty about the new MBP I should know? Still fine to dual-boot windows? Probably going to go with the midrange one with extra RAM and get gouged on extra SSD space unless there's some easy way of upgrading the SSD myself?

What's the best way of getting my old files into my new computer? Airdrop for Mac files? Anything for Windows?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I

Cornuto posted:

I mainly use a desktop and haven't bought a laptop in about 10 years so I'm kind of out of the loop on what's a good deal, or if its a good time to wait vs. buy. My fiance has used an iPad for a long time, but its reaching the end of its life and she's said she wanted a laptop to replace it. Main use is going to be browsing, movies, casual gaming, storing photos, etc.

Just from initial research and shopping around, I like this: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00S44HXRW/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KX7R5N2RBMPU&coliid=I1T2OJAN54SZNS
It's an ASUS Zenbook UX303LA-DS51T 13.3-Inch FHD Display Touchscreen Laptop (5th Gen Broadwell) if you don't want to click. I figured the touch-screen would be a good transition from the iPad.

Am I overspending on this? Is there a better website to buy from, or a different laptop anyone would suggest for at or under the price?

I

Cornuto posted:

I have the Haswell version of this and it's a good little machine. Fast boot time, nice screen, nice keyboard and good battery ice that should be a bit better with broadwell. I don't game on it at all so I couldn't tell how good it is for casual gaming.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Got a Lenovo T450s for $948.30 last night through B&N gold. I chose to go with the i5-5200, 1080p IPS, Win 8.1 Pro, and settled for 4gb RAM and the 500gb HDD/16GB m.2 ssd cache setup. I then specified that the 3rd m.2 SSD slot be installed. The reason for this is because the 16gb m.2 SSD actually is installed by Lenovo in the 3rd m.2 slot (which only houses single-sided m.2 cards). If you opt for the 500gb HDD and forego the caching drive to save $40, you will only receive the connections for 2 m.2 slots and one will presumably be taken up by the WWAN device. Some may not need all 3 slots, but if you want all the pieces factory installed to have all 3, go this route.

Not sure what I am going to upgrade to as far as storage yet, either a 512gb m.2 SSD or just replace the HDD with a 2.5" SSD on the cheap(er) and lighten the weight of the system a bit. Either way, both options are much cheaper than getting a 512gb ssd from Lenovo for almost $600? and a week and a half backorder. I will add a 8gb stick of ram for $60 and be at a comfortable 12gb. That puts me at about $1300 or so. Now to save up for an extra 6-cell battery. Hope it turns out well

edit: I mostly chose it because of the slightly larger screen, best in class keyboard, runs cool, nice IPS display, swappable batts. If I weren't using this to mostly type on, I would consider the XPS 13 for it's portability and sexiness.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 29, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I can't find a source even mentioning a third m.2 slot in the T450s. I'm also not sure what you would use a third slot for if you've got WWAN in one and a big SSD in the other.

If you've got a picture or a link to satisfy my curiosity, that'd be great.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

http://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/2w958f/t450s_help_regarding_installing_ssd_later_on/
http://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/308t94/t450s_m2_ngff_ssd_slot/
...reddit..:shivers:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T450s-Display-NGFF-SSD-Smart-Card-Reader-and-m-2-SSD-slots/td-p/2028064
http://psref.lenovo.com/PSREFUploadFile%5CSys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T450s/ThinkPad_T450s_Platform_Specifications_v467.pdf

I had another good link yesterday but can't seem to find it. Yeah, I probably won't end up using all of the slots, but just to be sure.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 29, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks, I see that it indeed must be there. I had no idea.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Would dedicated graphics via m.2 ever be plausible? Or could that be the pci-e cards? Or will laptop manufactuers always solder and embed them into the software to force you to keep buying a new one every 2-3 years :downs:

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 29, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There are laptops available that you can upgrade the CPU/GPU(I am posting from one!) but you're better off planning for a 3-4 year replacement cycle than spending buncha $$$s to eek out a few more FPS.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I loving hate laptop chargers

What would be a good replacement for my Toshiba Satellite that's running a god drat m330. I'd mainly be using it for work, and at most probably want to run like League of Legends on it. Graphics aren't a huge priority. I also have 2x4 GB sticks I have shoved in the thing, but I doubt I'll need them with newer models.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TenaciousTomato posted:

Got a Lenovo T450s for $948.30 last night through B&N gold. I chose to go with the i5-5200, 1080p IPS, Win 8.1 Pro, and settled for 4gb RAM and the 500gb HDD/16GB m.2 ssd cache setup. I then specified that the 3rd m.2 SSD slot be installed. The reason for this is because the 16gb m.2 SSD actually is installed by Lenovo in the 3rd m.2 slot (which only houses single-sided m.2 cards). If you opt for the 500gb HDD and forego the caching drive to save $40, you will only receive the connections for 2 m.2 slots and one will presumably be taken up by the WWAN device. Some may not need all 3 slots, but if you want all the pieces factory installed to have all 3, go this route.

Not sure what I am going to upgrade to as far as storage yet, either a 512gb m.2 SSD or just replace the HDD with a 2.5" SSD on the cheap(er) and lighten the weight of the system a bit. Either way, both options are much cheaper than getting a 512gb ssd from Lenovo for almost $600? and a week and a half backorder. I will add a 8gb stick of ram for $60 and be at a comfortable 12gb. That puts me at about $1300 or so. Now to save up for an extra 6-cell battery. Hope it turns out well

edit: I mostly chose it because of the slightly larger screen, best in class keyboard, runs cool, nice IPS display, swappable batts. If I weren't using this to mostly type on, I would consider the XPS 13 for it's portability and sexiness.

Someone earlier said it's a smaller M.2 slot, so 2.5" is your only real choice.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
RE: laptop graphics

If anyone else is as dumb as me you will have only just now realized that steam does in-home streaming from one client to another, so you can run games on your desktop and stream to your laptop. I'm sure there are other software ways to do the same thing.

Been playing dying light from all over the house. Haven't tried the bathroom yet but it's inevitable. While it's not a perfect solution, it's pretty cool for free.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Steam in home streaming is also a great opportunity to stash that big black monolith in a closet somewhere.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

That was me and to be honest, unlike a couple of months ago there are now a couple of brands offering SSDs in that form factor versus zero then. Problem is the pool of SDDs that can be recommended with confidence is really small as it is. From following the SSD thread for a drat long time and seeing what poo poo some brands are up to (including bait and switch relabeling), having to rely on some unknown brand would make me really uncomfortable.

Doesn't mean if you have money to throw at it and don't mind taking a gamble, it's impossible. It's definitely not something I would do, for starters because I'd have to order them outside of my country and an eventual RMA would probably be a nightmare.

If he feels he knows what he's doing, fair enough. I'm just not willing to recommend it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm looking for a laptop to replace my desktop with; I don't need it to for gaming, but I would like to easily use all of my periphrials (monitor, input devices, etc.) without having to plug/unplug a hundred cables everytime.

Other criteria:
13"-14" screen (resolution/quality isn't a huge issue - I'll have it hooked up to an external 50% of the time)
Upgradable to at least 8gb of RAM
Battery life isn't a big deal, 3-4 hours would be fine
Durability/repairability. I don't run much in the way of intensive programs, and if parts are easily available to fix minor issues, that will let me get many years out of it
At least one USB 3.0 port
Hard drive doesn't matter either, as it'll get an SSD immediately if it doesn't already have one
Having a history of playing nice with Linux would be good.

Obviously Thinkpads have lots of cheap, effective docks out there, and T420/T430 models are cheap now. I know Dell has some durable options that are cheap, and have cheap docking stations available as well - are there any of those I should look out for?

edit: something like this: http://offleaseavenue.com/products/laptops-notebooks?product_id=63

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 29, 2015

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm going off what this guy said at the end of one of the links I shared.

quote:

I ordered a T450s with the 16GB M.2 card and a Smartcard reader. I decided to replace the 16GB M.2 with a 256GB M.2:http://amzn.com/B00KLTPUG4

I wanted to move the Windows 8.1 installation to the M.2 so I used a drive cloner:http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It worked well and was the best of the software that I used (I cloned 3 times before getting things working).

The gotcha is that after cloning the drive you must remove it before booting back to Windows 8.1 (and probably Windows 8). If you don't do this Windows gets confused.

So presumably the first or second m.2 slot are full size?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

TenaciousTomato posted:

So presumably the first or second m.2 slot are full size?
Maybe, but that drive is the required 42mm (half size). And it might be terrific and last you five years without a hitch or it might be terrible, make your computer bluescreen and disappear your data after two months. There's no way to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

rapeface posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 13" Macbook Pro with Retina to replace my old Core 2 Duo MBP. Is there anything nutty about the new MBP I should know? Still fine to dual-boot windows? Probably going to go with the midrange one with extra RAM and get gouged on extra SSD space unless there's some easy way of upgrading the SSD myself?

What's the best way of getting my old files into my new computer? Airdrop for Mac files? Anything for Windows?

I just got the midrange model with the 256GB SSD, I've been pretty happy with it so far. You can upgrade the SSD yourself but I chose to just pay extra for the 256GB model because it has one of the best performing SSDs out there. I'm dual booting with Windows 10 technical preview and I've had surprisingly few issues, just trouble running some games but that's probably to be expected.