Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Just got my DoomRPG+DoomRL Monsters+DoomRL Arsenal set-up all updated to the latest betas. There's a new tier of enemies, Armageddon, that I'm super psyched to see. What megawad should I throw at this? Did it with Hellbound last time and had a blast.

Also, I kind of liked the old UAC base better. The new one is far too big and empty. It seems way out of scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Armageddon is the coop difficulty and is also missing like 3/4 of its monsters. One of the Armageddon bosses (which isn't supposed to spawn but does and sometimes shows up on UV so gently caress UV) is a turbo fucker pain elemental with a quarter million health and rapidly spawning super fast packs of lost souls. And there's another pain elemental with a telefrag gun. Nightmare is the most fun to play, since it has all new monsters and you get a lot of exotic drops off zombies.

Crack out OBLIGE for maps, that way you don't have to worry about whether the map has a ton of custom stuff that breaks or forced pistol starts killing your inventory.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 28, 2015

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
While this thread is a little bit quieter than normal, time to drop a bit of Quake in. Specifically, a revisit of RickyT23's Stark Monstrosity for Quoth, because I just fixed up the latest version of Quoth to play this map properly and packaged it for ease of playing. If you already downloaded Quoth before this weekend, grab the updated 2.2 patch as it fixes a broken door.

shot1|shot2|shot3|shot4|shot5|shot6
Download Stark Monstrosity

Quoth quickstart guide:
1. Download the full version of Quoth 2.2
2. Find your Quake folder, and make a folder inside called Quoth
3. Extract all the files from the zip into your Quoth folder
4. Drag and drop starkmon.pak onto launch.bat in the Quoth folder to play

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 28, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What should I know before playing Unreal for the first time?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Heavy_D posted:

While this thread is a little bit quieter than normal...

Just wait until v20 of Brutal Doom gets released. :unsmigghh:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Get the 227 patch from oldunreal.com then if you want the high resolution textures. Get used to unreal dodging (double tapping a direction) and enemies dodging your stuff too. Other than that, is a pretty straight forward game and easy to learn.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bouchacha posted:

The AI doesn't know how to dodge Eightball grenades.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
okay, I'm stuck on the AMC TC side mission "Clear the Coast". I found some crazy pit into an underground deathtrap arena, hit a switch to blow up the arena, and now... I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

A vital switch didn't display in the first Ep 1 mission and a vital door didn't open in the second one so I'm pretty much willing to write this up to "cursed"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Bouchacha posted:

No, you can't make the HUD bigger, the Dispersion pistol has upgrade tokens hidden in many levels, make sure you set the inventory keys to something handy because you're going to be using flares, headlamps, and damage amps all the time.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I've never used that crap. Some items are straight up broken I think.

Bouchacha posted:

Don't ignore translator messages, read them all. Sometimes they tell you what to do and where to go, what to press, unreal gets miserable when you don't know what to do to proceed. Also actively look for secrets, you can get some weapons much earlier this way. Some secrets are basically hidden in places where you'll never look, that's kinda different from doom style secrets, others are a bit more complicated like you need more than once to save an npc from getting killed. There are a few, maybe just that one actually, places where you can miss a big chunk of the map and a lot of cool stuff by taking the wrong turn. So if if you think you may have done that, like it doesn't look like the path is looping back, backtrack. Alternatively, go straight and get it on your next play through

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Enemies are unable to dodge Eightball grenades, Razorjack blades, Biorifle blobs, and Flak Cannon alt-fire shots.

The only weapons that register headshots are the Razorjack and Rifle.

Unlike other games, the token pistol, the Automag, is good throughout the entire game. It's the second-best weapon for dealing with enemies at range. I always have some ammo for it to take out Gasbags or pick off a Kraal at a distance to conserve Rifle ammo.

The Minigun is technically inferior to the Automag because it takes about two Minigun shots to do the amount of damage one Automag shot does, but it's way too fun and cool to ignore.

Beware that the crosshair is misleading if you're playing the game in widescreen and trying to land headshots with the Razorjack or Rifle. The gun fires from where it is positioned, not where the crosshair is. This can be fixed a bit by making weapons centered.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 29, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

No, you can't make the HUD bigger
Mind-reader

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

Mind-reader

I posted this like a year ago, but here's your hud options:

Tiny as gently caress

or ugly as gently caress

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Has anybody here managed to get Requiem Avenging Angel working on a 64-bit system? There's a patch available that updates it to DX8 and solves compatibility issues, but it's a 16-bit application sand thus useless... Has anybody tried using a virtual PC to run stuff like this?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I've never beaten Plutonia and finally got to (and finished) the arch-vile maze level and goddamn is it a ton of fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SparkTR posted:

Has anybody here managed to get Requiem Avenging Angel working on a 64-bit system? There's a patch available that updates it to DX8 and solves compatibility issues, but it's a 16-bit application sand thus useless... Has anybody tried using a virtual PC to run stuff like this?

If you're lucky it just uses a 16 bit installer and you might be able to find someone who can rig you up a new install script. Otherwise you're hosed.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Dr. Dos posted:

I've never beaten Plutonia and finally got to (and finished) the arch-vile maze level and goddamn is it a ton of fun.

Plutonia has so many legendary maps it's insane. I really love Caughtyard and Speed too.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Unreal first impressions:
- It's really interesting how dynamic fighting the Skaarj is as they leap and dodge and poo poo. This must've blown people's minds in 1998.
- The music and the engine are making me super nostalgic about when I first tried Deus Ex :(
- The only times I've died is either because of bullshit traps, inadvertently dodging into a bullshit trap, or the collision detection
- What is up with the collision detection? Enemie's collision model doesn't seem to match up to their actual 3d model so I'm often "missing" when shooting at them until I figure out the sweet spot. Super lame.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Unreal 1 uses collision boxes instead of per-vertex collision, so the collision boxes are usually a bit smaller than the actual model.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Confession: I don't really like the additional Quoth bestiary that much, and have tended to avoid Quake levels that require Quoth because of it.

I mean, I suppose the added grunts do flesh out the bottom rung of Quake's bestiary a bit, although the flamethrower guy might be a bit much. Other than that, though... eh?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
So I just spent some time on Doomworld, trying to figure out which wads to play, and... I don't know.

I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong places or what (I tried a lot of cacoward winners, too), but I was wondering what you guys had to say on the subject.

What would y'all recommend, in terms of wads (that feature new maps, not gameplay modifications, although I suppose mods could work, within reason)?

There are no wrong answers, unless your suggestion causes my computer to crash. (It's like that horrible feeling you get when you are at the library or the bookstore, and you've already read all the books written by your favorite authors, and you don't know where to go from there.)

edit: I already know about OBLIGE... but it can't make maps the way humans do.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 29, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Dammit I got so distracted by Pillars of Eternity I forgot to vote in April Agitation Round 2. gently caress!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jakcson posted:

So I just spent some time on Doomworld, trying to figure out which wads to play, and... I don't know.

I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong places or what (I tried a lot of cacoward winners, too), but I was wondering what you guys had to say on the subject.

What would y'all recommend, in terms of wads (that feature new maps, not gameplay modifications, although I suppose mods could work, within reason)?

There are no wrong answers, unless your suggestion causes my computer to crash. (It's like that horrible feeling you get when you are at the library or the bookstore, and you've already read all the books written by your favorite authors, and you don't know where to go from there.)

edit: I already know about OBLIGE... but it can't make maps the way humans do.

If you haven't played them, Back to Saturn X episodes 1 and 2 are phenomenal examples of Doom mapmaking.

Episode 1: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/thread/62529
Episode 2: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/thread/69960

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Jakcson posted:

Just wait until v20 of Brutal Doom gets released. :unsmigghh:

Uuugh god drat it, it's literally my most anticipated release this year besides Bloodborne. Where the heck is it. It was supposed to be out a month ago.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Shadow Hog posted:

Confession: I don't really like the additional Quoth bestiary that much, and have tended to avoid Quake levels that require Quoth because of it.

I mean, I suppose the added grunts do flesh out the bottom rung of Quake's bestiary a bit, although the flamethrower guy might be a bit much. Other than that, though... eh?

I actually find them a welcome expansion for Quake's normal bestiary. What I really like is how there are plenty of monsters that have the same sort of general role. While that may sound redundant when I put it that way, I love that you can create truly consistent environments with them. No longer must you have a tech base with medieval ogres in leather just because you want something that shoots grenades! I suppose that might work for some scenarios, but not all of them. Also, Quake has kind of sorely needed boss monsters since the only two the base game has are "lava guy that your weapons don't even faze" and "completely immobile blob you have to telefrag".

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Jakcson posted:

Have you looked at "10 years of Doom" feature, that lists 100 wads from first decade of Doom mapping?

I can reccomend Deus Vult (the first one is a one huge slaughterish map, the second is a megawad), Valiant, Doom 2 Resurrected, Ultimate Torment & Torture (it has new monsters and weapons though, but the maps are great mix of Doom and Quake styles), Scythe 2, Strain, among others.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

LvK posted:

okay, I'm stuck on the AMC TC side mission "Clear the Coast". I found some crazy pit into an underground deathtrap arena, hit a switch to blow up the arena, and now... I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

A vital switch didn't display in the first Ep 1 mission and a vital door didn't open in the second one so I'm pretty much willing to write this up to "cursed"
If you look down the room from across the switch (standing in front of it) You should see a small room in the upper right corner - it's dark down there so it's a bit hard to miss. You should have a jetpack at this point, just fly up and inside is the exit.

What switches were missing for you in those levels? If you can take a picture I can fix it or let you know if you've missed something.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Shadow Hog posted:

I think they were hard to love in earlier versions, because they were just a little bit too tough and relentless. They lacked that give and take where you made openings in combat using pain frames and confusing the ai, and it's something I've attempted to improve in the latest patch (to demonstrate how far off the scale they went, the code that's meant to make monsters less susceptible to pain in nightmare was actually doing the opposite on some monsters in 2.1). Apart from the stuff Tony Danza mentioned, I'm a big fan of the way the death knight variants work (which I can't take any credit for), letting you have a heterogeneous mix of monsters that won't infight.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

I posted this like a year ago, but here's your hud options:

Tiny as gently caress

or ugly as gently caress

Where is the ugly as gently caress? I've been playing the unreal gold version since it came out retail and on steam (I even own the original unpatched) and all I can do is press (~) or use the slider from the options to get more tiny HUDs.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jblade posted:

If you look down the room from across the switch (standing in front of it) You should see a small room in the upper right corner - it's dark down there so it's a bit hard to miss. You should have a jetpack at this point, just fly up and inside is the exit.

What switches were missing for you in those levels? If you can take a picture I can fix it or let you know if you've missed something.

In the first base mission, with the scientists who trapped themselves in a forcefield closet, the exit switch doesn't show up. In the mars moon mission, when you have to make your escape, the exit door doesn't open and I had to noclip in, then godmode so I could make it the rest of the way with what little time I had left.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Can you send me a savegame of these occurences to my e-mail address? (jstanf36@gmail.com) Those errors you describe are very bizarre and I can't think of a reason why they would happen. Cheers.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Where is the ugly as gently caress? I've been playing the unreal gold version since it came out retail and on steam (I even own the original unpatched) and all I can do is press (~) or use the slider from the options to get more tiny HUDs.

It's a giant pain in the rear end, but you basically copy your Unreal/Maps and Unreal/Music folders into your UT install, install Old Skool Amp'd, install the Unreal: Enhanced mutator, install Operation Na Pali, and then start a new Singleplayer game of Unreal using the mutator to enable the better hud.

You can't bring your Unreal save files into UT, and it doesn't work with RTNP, but RTNP also sucked so you're really not missing that much.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

It's a giant pain in the rear end, but you basically copy your Unreal/Maps and Unreal/Music folders into your UT install, install Old Skool Amp'd, install the Unreal: Enhanced mutator, install Operation Na Pali, and then start a new Singleplayer game of Unreal using the mutator to enable the better hud.

You can't bring your Unreal save files into UT, and it doesn't work with RTNP, but RTNP also sucked so you're really not missing that much.

Oh well, I think I played two times through RTNP all these years and I always felt that it sucked, played through vanilla unreal more than 20 times I think in comparison. And to be honest, I can just play with lower resolution and call it a day to get a bigger hud. I one of these that like to play Quake 2 with a low 16:9 resolution just to get some pixels around (or quake with linear filtering).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Heavy_D posted:

While this thread is a little bit quieter than normal, time to drop a bit of Quake in. Specifically, a revisit of RickyT23's Stark Monstrosity for Quoth, because I just fixed up the latest version of Quoth to play this map properly and packaged it for ease of playing. If you already downloaded Quoth before this weekend, grab the updated 2.2 patch as it fixes a broken door.

shot1|shot2|shot3|shot4|shot5|shot6
Download Stark Monstrosity

Quoth quickstart guide:
1. Download the full version of Quoth 2.2
2. Find your Quake folder, and make a folder inside called Quoth
3. Extract all the files from the zip into your Quoth folder
4. Drag and drop starkmon.pak onto launch.bat in the Quoth folder to play

It gets easier afterwards, but that opening section sucks rear end. The Night Gaunt's(I think, I looked on the mod website) attack can push you, so you have to rush through and hope the attack(which is undodgeable?) doesn't mess with one of your jumps over the lava or dance around on a tiny platform plinking away with your starting shotgun and the tiny amount of nailgun ammo you get on one of the platforms. I think that kind of section could be fun, but not as the opening of a map when you're so limited in your weapon selection. I'll post more thoughts once I finish.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 29, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It seems like Zandronum is finally upgrading to 2.0 today, at least according to the global server announcement I got earlier.

edit: It happened.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 29, 2015

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The Night Gaunt's(I think, I looked on the mod website) attack can push you, so you have to rush through and hope the attack(which is undodgeable?)
Night Gaunt lightning can be dodged, although it's hard to move perpendicular enough when it's attacking from above. It's unfortunate that he uses the same lightning effect as the Shambler, because that is THE undodgeable attack in Quake and gives everyone the wrong impression. I found I could usually plink him down before he got into range to attack, but I agree it's bad form to put your most annoying combat in the first encounter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

It seems like Zandronum is finally upgrading to 2.0 today, at least according to the global server announcement I got earlier.

edit: It happened.

Now they're only 5 years behind zdoom development instead of :laffo:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Now they're only 5 years behind zdoom development instead of :laffo:

They're caught up enough that playing a 2005 pwad doesn't cause opengl mode to run at half speed on my computer, good enough for me.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I think it says all it needs to when the first reply to a pretty major update on Zandronum on their forums is 'first'.

gently caress that's still such a stupid loving name. I had to double check like three times to make sure I had spelt it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's super cool about it that I should try this over other source ports?