Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
94 minutes in already

I guess 23.5 minutes per game isn't that bad

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

No, they were face up with a standard manifest overlay on top.

It's a shortcut to avoid the headache of "which of these is the Mystic/Whisperwood/Courser/whatever that I saw get Manifested?"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cernunnos posted:

It's a shortcut to avoid the headache of "which of these is the Mystic/Whisperwood/Courser/whatever that I saw get Manifested?"

I get it, I was wondering why Chris Andersen wasn't doing it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

so how photoshopped is this post

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any way this matchup wouldn't go to time if it weren't top 8

E: I'm thinking Cedric's pretty tired of this match

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 29, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

You can have both Silumgars out at the same time?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AgentSythe posted:

You can have both Silumgars out at the same time?

Yup, they aren't the same creature.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
2 hours huh

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And it's done. Meanwhile, I've gotten married, had two children, and I'm looking towards retirement.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Yup, they aren't the same creature.

OH yeah, the planeswalker "legend" rule is different from the creature one

Alaan
May 24, 2005

At this point you could fill a commander deck with nothing but repeat legends and still have some selection on which ones you use. Karona would have to be your commander since she is made up of two other legends plus some other schmuck, one of which has two versions as well!

Edit: you could also pick up 4 walkers with Venser, Karn, Narset, and a Teferi

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh god the other semi-final match wasn't being done at the same time arjghdknajv

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh wait one of the decks has aggro in the name, this won't be as long. Crisis averted.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah they are doing it more like the Pro Tour T8s where you see most of the matches.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

Oh wait one of the decks has aggro in the name, this won't be as long. Crisis averted.

"aggro"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

With a sideboard that contains Whisperwood/Mastery. :suicide:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

First game over in under twelve minutes, I think we'll be done with this tournament before the heat death of the universe.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Slightly fast Rhinos versus Slightly slow Rhinos.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Alaan posted:

At this point you could fill a commander deck with nothing but repeat legends and still have some selection on which ones you use. Karona would have to be your commander since she is made up of two other legends plus some other schmuck, one of which has two versions as well!

Both Phage and Akroma have two versions - Jeska/Phage, Akromas Angel of Wrath/Fury. Throw in Akroma's Memorial too. Add in Sword of Vengeance, equip it onto Akroma, Angel of Wrath.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How about those short games :v:

E: and game 5!

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 29, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rinkles posted:

Slightly slow Rhinos versus Slightly slower Rhinos.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maximum overdelve

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
"Reid the Bones" Duke vs. "Jacob Arms" Wilson in the finals of the SCG Invitational

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

How about those short games :v:

E: and game 5!

hey, it was an entire 40 minutes shorter, i stand by my statement

also there was no game 5?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

hey, it was an entire 40 minutes shorter, i stand by my statement

also there was no game 5?

Thought the control player was dead when the Roc came down v:v:v

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Is anyone else really enjoying the spike on Garza's Assassin as much as I am? Talk about a long shot.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

rabidsquid posted:

Is anyone else really enjoying the spike on Garza's Assassin as much as I am? Talk about a long shot.

You mean Silumgar's Assassin, right?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LordSaturn posted:

You mean Silumgar's Assassin, right?

Coldsnap 20 cent rare Garza's Assassin

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Monoblack devotion for "The League of Magic Playing Goons". I can roll with it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

rabidsquid posted:

This guy is great in my edh deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ramos posted:

Monoblack devotion for "The League of Magic Playing Goons". I can roll with it.

No there's a Collected Company Modern deck people are trying to buy in on that is the longest of shots to pan out. This is like the goofiest spec I have seen yet, I love it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Well that was a game of magic.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

rabidsquid posted:

No there's a Collected Company Modern deck people are trying to buy in on that is the longest of shots to pan out. This is like the goofiest spec I have seen yet, I love it.
Is there a thread for this on Salvation or Reddit or something we can read? I want to see what kind of weird ideas people are having.

EDIT: Found it http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/deck-creation-modern/600001-collected-company-combo-the-other-pod-reloaded

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I've heard of Collect Call Elves, but not that.

http://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/2zxdm5/modern_xpost_modernmagic_collectcall_elves_primer/

Granted, this is a far more typical elves build for modern.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that elves deck owns. I hate modern so I think I am going to trade out of Twin to put that together.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Niton posted:

I think that was done because they literally ran out of ways to represent the manifests in the mirror, and putting them face up was the easiest way to keep the information visible and public.

In the crazy match when they weren't prepared, they put known manifests face-up but upside-down (which was super confusing if you just tuned in). In the finals they put known morphs face-up with the overlay on top. Which is the non-dick way to do it. It's known information. You technically don't have to tell your opponent anything other than what order they entered the battlefield in, but come the gently caress on.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

So I am fuckin waaay late to this, because I had a week-long trip to Tokyo, but hey: prerelease report!

3-0-1 off a Silumgar pack with Dragonlord Silumgar as my seeded rare. I put together a pretty decent U/B exploit deck splashing W for Pacifism, Secure the Wastes, and a FRF Ojutai at the top of my curve. Other notable cards were Stratus Dancer, double Rakshasa Gravecallers, Ultimate Price, Belltoll Dragon (or whatever the megamorph hexproof 3/3 blue dragon is called), and a hefty amount of common removal and exploit fodder. Secure the Waste turned out to be a great way to clog up the ground against Dash decks, while simultaneously being a fantastic exploit enabler.

As expected, Silumgar is an absolute house in limited. I stole away an Icefall Regent, which allowed my tapped creature to go back online, I stole a 5/2 away from a player who was about to go formidable, and my favorite play; I stole a Kolaghan, and proceeded to beat face with Kolaghan only, correctly predicting the Enduring Victory he was telegraphing, and forcing him to play it against his own Kolaghan with no creatures on board.

I also loved playing out Palace Familiar, then Turn 4 swinging, and playing Vulturous Aven for Draw 3, lose 2 life. It's such a value play and it catapulted me into my late game on several occasions.

The draw was against a strong U/W flyers with a tight curve. I died pretty quickly Game 1 to a slew of one and two power flyers, topped off by an Icefall Regent, so I sided out my ground defenses for two copies of Silumgar's Scorn (didn't have any Negates in my pool), and sided out a Gravecaller for the more appropriate Silumgar's Butcher. Of course, it worked like a charm: Pacifism/Defeats for the early flyers, I nailed him with the Silumgar's Scorn when he tried for a Turn 5 Ojutai's Summons, and Silumgar's Butcher removed Icefall Regent with ease. It was 1-1 when we went to time on the 3rd game. He sided into a much more defensive setup on the third match.

Prize packs included a second Silumgar and a Sarkhan! Also, did I mention my Fate Reforged pack contained a foil Temporal Trespass? :woop:

That was an awesome pre-release, and I can't wait to do it again online!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

In the crazy match when they weren't prepared, they put known manifests face-up but upside-down (which was super confusing if you just tuned in). In the finals they put known morphs face-up with the overlay on top. Which is the non-dick way to do it. It's known information. You technically don't have to tell your opponent anything other than what order they entered the battlefield in, but come the gently caress on.

I'm one of the people here who advocate for not being a dick with known information, especially if a brainstorm or LOTV hasn't or won't be played. I hope this gets try hard people in the local shop to just skip the BS but I'm sure they won't so they could play like the pros or some poo poo lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Dungeon Ecology posted:

So I am fuckin waaay late to this, because I had a week-long trip to Tokyo, but hey: prerelease report!

3-0-1 off a Silumgar pack with Dragonlord Silumgar as my seeded rare. I put together a pretty decent U/B exploit deck splashing W for Pacifism, Secure the Wastes, and a FRF Ojutai at the top of my curve. Other notable cards were Stratus Dancer, double Rakshasa Gravecallers, Ultimate Price, Belltoll Dragon (or whatever the megamorph hexproof 3/3 blue dragon is called), and a hefty amount of common removal and exploit fodder. Secure the Waste turned out to be a great way to clog up the ground against Dash decks, while simultaneously being a fantastic exploit enabler.

As expected, Silumgar is an absolute house in limited. I stole away an Icefall Regent, which allowed my tapped creature to go back online, I stole a 5/2 away from a player who was about to go formidable, and my favorite play; I stole a Kolaghan, and proceeded to beat face with Kolaghan only, correctly predicting the Enduring Victory he was telegraphing, and forcing him to play it against his own Kolaghan with no creatures on board.

I also loved playing out Palace Familiar, then Turn 4 swinging, and playing Vulturous Aven for Draw 3, lose 2 life. It's such a value play and it catapulted me into my late game on several occasions.

The draw was against a strong U/W flyers with a tight curve. I died pretty quickly Game 1 to a slew of one and two power flyers, topped off by an Icefall Regent, so I sided out my ground defenses for two copies of Silumgar's Scorn (didn't have any Negates in my pool), and sided out a Gravecaller for the more appropriate Silumgar's Butcher. Of course, it worked like a charm: Pacifism/Defeats for the early flyers, I nailed him with the Silumgar's Scorn when he tried for a Turn 5 Ojutai's Summons, and Silumgar's Butcher removed Icefall Regent with ease. It was 1-1 when we went to time on the 3rd game. He sided into a much more defensive setup on the third match.

Prize packs included a second Silumgar and a Sarkhan! Also, did I mention my Fate Reforged pack contained a foil Temporal Trespass? :woop:

That was an awesome pre-release, and I can't wait to do it again online!

I did a release sealed event. Came in 3-1 using a dash B/R deck. Deathbringer Regent won me a game as did Warbringer and young Kolaghan dashing for 3 every turn.

• Locked thread