Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Covok posted:

Was it a joke? I mean powering up to it was played up as super epic and the first shot of it is meant to be badass.

It was at least impracticable enough to never accomplish anything. Both of the major villains before Buu were defeated after entering their final form by someone going super saiyan(and then A LEVEL BEYOND) but even the weakest Buu fought evenly with SSJ3 Goku. Thematically it was a way of showing that someone already figured out how to super saiyan harder than last time and it wasn't gonna cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Covok posted:

Was it a joke?

CharlestheHammer posted:

it did about as well as Ascended Saiyan did or SSG for that matter.

SSJ3 is much, much more interesting visually than SSG or whatever the blue poo poo is, as its mostly just a slight recolor.

Yeah, just like the Ascended Saiyan poo poo all it did was create a stop gap for a bit but ultimately be useless because of it's terrible drawbacks.

Also SSJ3 are about as visually interesting as the Ascended Saiyan stuff. It's just bigger and more! which is dumb and boring.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ascended Saiyan kicked Cells rear end.

Plus SSG has a much worse draw back then SSJ3./

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I thought Goku said he could have beaten Kid Buu in SS3 if he didn't hold back to give Vegeta a turn, or was that English dub/anime only?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ascended Saiyan was Super Vegeta/Trunks, right? I always thought the idea of dumping all your overcharged Ki into your muscles was cool. Plus Trunks overcharged his hair!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, all the SSJ transformation past the first one were kind of boring and, in retrospect, kind of a mistake, dramatically.

Son Goku's first transformation with the accompanying change of his personality is still one of the coolest moments in the show. He actually really appears to be a different person. That it eventually became basically just a change in haircolor was pretty disappointing, especially since we know Toriyama can come up with other cool power-up concepts, i.e. fusion.

But then again, there are like a million big and small tweaks you could do to Dragonball that would majorly improve the story.

e X fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 30, 2015

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

e X posted:

Honestly, all the SSJ transformation past the first one were kind of boring and, in retrospect, kind of a mistake.

Yeah each subsequent super saiyan after Goku was lamer than the last. Future Gohan dies for future Trunks? Alright I can buy it. Vegeta gets...angry? Gohan trains or some poo poo? Then Goten and Trunks inherit it from their dads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xflI5gkF8Ns

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Xenoverse really gives and then takes away. Hey did you enjoy Beerus giving Demigra the finger and teaming up with you? gently caress you, fight him and Whis at the same time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Put Ronda Rousey down as another DBZ fan. She is wearing a cutoff "It's over 9000" shirt at Wrestlemania today.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Gohan going SSJ2 was the hypest poo poo, and I'll hear no talk otherwise. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVJq_6_aP4

His tears go up, man! UP!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Amorphous Blob posted:

Yeah each subsequent super saiyan after Goku was lamer than the last. Future Gohan dies for future Trunks? Alright I can buy it. Vegeta gets...angry? Gohan trains or some poo poo? Then Goten and Trunks inherit it from their dads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xflI5gkF8Ns

Don't forget Broly and Bardock. :downs:

RE ssj3, I always liked the old joke fanarts of SSJ3 Raditz with like a truckload of hair.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Covok posted:

Was it a joke? I mean powering up to it was played up as super epic and the first shot of it is meant to be badass.

It's a BRAND NEW FORM that accomplishes absolutely nothing, ends up being too debilitating to be useful, and is actually impossible to use if you're alive.

It's not framed comedically but it is absolutely a shot at DBZ, much like the rest of the Buu arc.

Stallion Cabana posted:

I thought Goku said he could have beaten Kid Buu in SS3 if he didn't hold back to give Vegeta a turn, or was that English dub/anime only?

It was Fat Buu, and he later found out that if he had seriously tried SS3 would have burned through his timer before he could do much of anything. In the Kid Buu fight he finds himself unable to effectively use SS3 and has to ask Vegeta to tag in so he can try to concentrate. And then he just falls out of SS3 because it's just not feasible for a living person.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The only thing SSJ3 ever did was job.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh cool this must be the new hot rumor.

Was SSG also a shot at DBZ?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm sorry that your favorite DBZ form existed to poke fun at how both previous arcs ended with a new level of super saiyan saving the day. :shobon:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't give a gently caress about SSj3, i just hate this dumb bullshit people pull out of their asses. Nothing in the Buu saga makes sense as a satire of the rest of the series. As it progresses exactly like all the other sagas.

But if you got something to back it up, post it, it would be interesting if true.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 30, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I feel like if you judge something from DBZ based entirely on its utility and efficacy then pretty much everything sucks. Most transformations and special attacks ended up not accomplishing much.

SSJ3 owns cause it looks ridiculous (it looks exactly like the Saiyan's body is going through some kind of genetic crisis to output that much power) and it's basically Super Saiyan Kaioken. It added tension to fights that you didn't get with SSJ and SSJ2.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Needs More Jazz posted:

Gohan going SSJ2 was the hypest poo poo, and I'll hear no talk otherwise. :colbert:

Speaking of this, does anyone know the name of the track around 2:25 in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nB6SZyhYK8

Edit: Nevermind.. it's called "Chou Super Dragon Soul- Goku Kai Theme"..

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 30, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I will have you know Kao Ken is just Satire of Dragonball, considering it failed to accomplish anything.

Just like the evil containment wave.

Edit: Also that some in the Japanese version does not fit with what is going on.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 30, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Leaf posted:

Speaking of this, does anyone know the name of the track around 2:25 in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nB6SZyhYK8

Chou Super Dragon Soul. It's pretty rad.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Chou Super Dragon Soul. It's pretty rad.

Hah I just read down the comments and found that. Weird rear end name, but awesome song.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

In It For The Tank posted:

I feel like if you judge something from DBZ based entirely on its utility and efficacy then pretty much everything sucks. Most transformations and special attacks ended up not accomplishing much.

SSJ3 owns cause it looks ridiculous (it looks exactly like the Saiyan's body is going through some kind of genetic crisis to output that much power) and it's basically Super Saiyan Kaioken. It added tension to fights that you didn't get with SSJ and SSJ2.

There is the grown up part of me that looks at the blond lightning caveman and thinks it's the dumbest poo poo ever, and than there is my 12 yea old self that considers it the coolest thing ever put on television.

Needs More Jazz posted:

Absolutely, the scene is amazing and that Japanese actually fits really well, but that's the anime. Within the greater context of the story, I still thing that we had too many SSJ variants and that the majority of the transformations were kind of underwhelming.

e X fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 30, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man if you need an interview from Toriyama to tell you that the Buu arc dips into self parody at various points (hey, it's the Budokai! Only now everyone is so overpowered it's totally beneath them. The SUPREME KAI is telling us this is going to be a major gauntlet, this is gonna be goo- oh the heroes are effortlessly crushing all the subordinates. Hey look, SS3 existd! Look at Goku using it to stall for time by impressing a child. Oooo, fusion! There goes Gotenks off to save the da- oh he got his rear end beat. etc ), I don't even know what to say. The whole thing is pretty clearly more light-hearted than the arcs prior (which is kind of funny since way more people die), and a lot of that is because it echoes previous dramatic events but makes them funnier.

Of course a lot of this is because Toriyama also writes by the seat of his pants, but eh!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I will have you know Kao Ken is just Satire of Dragonball, considering it failed to accomplish anything.

Besides help Goku keep up with Vegeta? :v:

If you're going by accomplishments, most new moves/transformations at least win one fight or at least turn the tide. The most SS3 ever did was help Gotenks scream through a dimension and kind of keep up with Super Buu before he got tricked into becoming a powerup.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 30, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It plays out like Toriyama consciously poking fun at some of his own writing crutches. That doesn't make it bad, it's honestly one of the highlights of DBZ because of this, but it's pretty obvious just from looking at it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Everything you just described is basically how all the arcs go, just that one went a little longer than most. Super Saiyan 3 is basically just Kaio Ken, and Ascended Saiyan.

So yeah I fail to see it.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 30, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's the point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So every arc is a parody of the previous arc?

I think its much more likely is that the dude has a formula he likes to use. Whether intentional or not, I don't know or care.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Okay, let's just look at the Budokai.

In Dragon Ball, it's A Big Thing that shows up three times and is played through fairly seriously with rivals, gimmicky fighters, and a twist at the end of each one.

In Dragon Ball Z, it's not around during Freeza but triumphantly returns in the form of the Cell Games, which serve as a dramatic conclusion to the arc.

In the Buu Arc it's a thing all the characters go to for fun, and most of the time spent there is just them making GBS threads all over the competition.

Can you see it now?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Your describtion of the Buu arc tourney isn't functionally any different than the description from Tien on.

Or the first one.

Goku and friends clown the competition outside of the rival characters (Master Roshi, Tien, Piccolo, and finally Vegeta) so no.

Face it man, you are reaching a bit here.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

BlitzBlast posted:

Okay, let's just look at the Budokai.

In Dragon Ball, it's A Big Thing that shows up three times and is played through fairly seriously with rivals, gimmicky fighters, and a twist at the end of each one.

In Dragon Ball Z, it's not around during Freeza but triumphantly returns in the form of the Cell Games, which serve as a dramatic conclusion to the arc.

In the Buu Arc it's a thing all the characters go to for fun, and most of the time spent there is just them making GBS threads all over the competition.

Can you see it now?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Just like the evil containment wave.

Edit: Also that some in the Japanese version does not fit with what is going on.

The song if you read the lyrics is about a savior coming to slay an evil laughing beast trying to take the happiness of the world, it starts as an observer but transitions into the savior himself explaining why he's going to kill the beast

It's actually pretty fitting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

nrook posted:

I guess so.

EDIT v :laffo:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

nrook posted:

He will get it eventually, a lot of people make this mistake about the Buu arc. He also seems to think the tournament arc has stakes, so maybe not.

Stallion Cabana posted:

The song if you read the lyrics is about a savior coming to slay an evil laughing beast trying to take the happiness of the world, it starts as an observer but transitions into the savior himself explaining why he's going to kill the beast

It's actually pretty fitting.

The lyrics maybe, but the song just seems out of place. I dunno just sounds so weird.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He will get it eventually, a lot of people make this mistake about the Buu arc. He also seems to think the tournament arc has stakes, so maybe not.

:ironicat:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't give a gently caress about SSj3, i just hate this dumb bullshit people pull out of their asses. Nothing in the Buu saga makes sense as a satire of the rest of the series. As it progresses exactly like all the other sagas.

But if you got something to back it up, post it, it would be interesting if true.

What? Super Super Super God comes down to fight a fat pink child, a new stupid caveman form is used but all it does is make Goku disappear, the heroes are 2 children that do nothing but goof around. The Villain is only defeated by the joke of a character from the last arc twice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

What? Super Super Super God comes down to fight a fat pink child, a new stupid caveman form is used but all it does is make Goku disappear, the heroes are 2 children that do nothing but goof around. The Villain is only defeated by the joke of a character from the last arc twice.

Well now I am convinced that none of you know what parody (or satire) is, as none of this fits. All you are saying is that dumb poo poo happens in DBZ, which it does! Doesn't make it a parody or whatever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kild posted:

Mark Satan is the hero we all deserve and you know it. :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Buu is a giant joke of an arc which is why it rules. Super Buu vs Gotenks and Vegito vs Super Buu are the best fights since Vegeta.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wouldn't call it outright satire but it's pretty much impossible to deny that the buu arc is way goofier than anything else in z. frankly, it's way goofier than anything from king piccolo on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Buu seems to be just about as goofy as the previous arcs, if you ignore the great saiyaman part, which always felt like its own thing.

I mean lets not forget the Ginyu Force happened.

• Locked thread