My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

You say that like being an rear end in a top hat is a bad thing.

You can't do something without being an rear end in a top hat to somebody.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

Romney appeared a lot more quick-witted and on his game than Obama. Obama appeared disinterested and in addition Romney surprised Obama by blatantly flipping his positions from the primary (which he was barely called out for).

One example was he clearly supported cutting capital gain taxes during the republican primary. At the 1st debate Romey was like "I never proposed cutting capital gain taxes- that's ridiculous and I'm offended you would lie about that Mr. President. You're just painting me as a bad person.", Obama replied something like "you dont support capital gains tax cuts? that's news to me". Obama appeared unorganized and bumbling even though he was 100% correct and Romney was lying quite a bit.

There were internal campaign stories that came out afterwards that detailed Obama not taking debate prep seriously and being lackadaisical about it. For example he should've had the quote (or multiple quotes) from the GOP primary in which Romney said he wanted to cut capital gains taxes instead he replied with a weak response.

Romney came out quick and almost as a "bully" which is what his base wanted. Obama came out weak, unprepared and appeared uncaring. Some result of Obama's lack of debate prep was him unprepared to deal with the blatant lying by Romney and his assumption that the media would properly call Romney out on his blatant lies (flipping his positions from just a few months prior), which sort of goes into post-truth politics.

This is a pretty good article on the first debate disaster and really explains how much Obama didn't think that people would buy Romney's poo poo and that he could coast to a win even if he didn't win a single debate.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113287/obamas-denver-debate-choke-inside-debate-prep

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mike Pence posted:

Asked again, he said, "Look, the issue here is still is tolerance a two-way street or not."

Literally the "Be tolerant of my intolerance" defense :downsbravo:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is a pretty good article on the first debate disaster and really explains how much Obama didn't think that people would buy Romney's poo poo and that he could coast to a win even if he didn't win a single debate.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113287/obamas-denver-debate-choke-inside-debate-prep

poor obama, constantly overestimating the american electorate

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PupsOfWar posted:

poor obama, constantly overestimating the american electorate

We overestimated him and he overestimated us. It's kind of sweet. He still loves us though.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

William Bear posted:

Can we get a fact-check? Is this actually true?
God no. I think people are grossly underestimating how much popular support this law has here.

And I'll take Southern Indiana people over North/Northeast Indiana people any day of the week. At least the southern ones have the ability to let something that they don't like roll off their back.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 29, 2015

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Fried Chicken posted:

God no. I think people are grossly underestimating how much popular support this law has here.

And I'll take Southern Indiana people over North/Northeast Indiana people any day of the week. At least the southern ones have the ability to let something that they don't like roll off their back.

I live in Fort Wayne and may have to go to the Seattle area soon for a funeral. I'm tempted to stay out there if I do end up going.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 29, 2015

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

William Bear posted:

From http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/pence-effort-clarify-religious-objections-law-underway-29984447?singlePage=true

This was a really weak defense. To be fair, it is of the indefensible. If you want to see the video and transcript, it's here. My favorite quote from the exchange:
(Emphasis mine)

Can we get a fact-check? Is this actually true?
Someone needs to check and see if Pence grew up in a sundown town (probably 50/50 chance if he's actually from Southern Indiana).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's the best thread for TPP chat? I'm reading that apparently a recently leaked and still-classified section will permit corporations to sue governments for impinging on profitability which is pretty nuts:

Article: Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) - Investment Chapter
From: Wikileaks
Date: March 25, 2015

quote:

WikiLeaks releases today the "Investment Chapter" from the secret negotiations of the TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) agreement. The document adds to the previous WikiLeaks publications of the chapters for Intellectual Property Rights (November 2013) and the Environment (January 2014).

The TPP Investment Chapter, published today, is dated 20 January 2015. The document is classified and supposed to be kept secret for four years after the entry into force of the TPP agreement or, if no agreement is reached, for four years from the close of the negotiations.

Julian Assange, WikiLeaks editor said: "The TPP has developed in secret an unaccountable supranational court for multinationals to sue states. This system is a challenge to parliamentary and judicial sovereignty. Similar tribunals have already been shown to chill the adoption of sane environmental protection, public health and public transport policies."

Current TPP negotiation member states are the United States, Japan, Mexico, Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Chile, Singapore, Peru, Vietnam, New Zealand and Brunei. The TPP is the largest economic treaty in history, including countries that represent more than 40 per cent of the world´s GDP.

The Investment Chapter highlights the intent of the TPP negotiating parties, led by the United States, to increase the power of global corporations by creating a supra-national court, or tribunal, where foreign firms can "sue" states and obtain taxpayer compensation for "expected future profits". These investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) tribunals are designed to overrule the national court systems. ISDS tribunals introduce a mechanism by which multinational corporations can force governments to pay compensation if the tribunal states that a country's laws or policies affect the company's claimed future profits. In return, states hope that multinationals will invest more. Similar mechanisms have already been used. For example, US tobacco company Phillip Morris used one such tribunal to sue Australia (June 2011 – ongoing) for mandating plain packaging of tobacco products on public health grounds; and by the oil giant Chevron against Ecuador in an attempt to evade a multi-billion-dollar compensation ruling for polluting the environment. The threat of future lawsuits chilled environmental and other legislation in Canada after it was sued by pesticide companies in 2008/9. ISDS tribunals are often held in secret, have no appeal mechanism, do not subordinate themselves to human rights laws or the public interest, and have few means by which other affected parties can make representations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Accretionist posted:

From: Wikileaks
Date: March 25, 2015

If this is true all I can say is this is why I feel totalitarianism is fine in the defense of democratic values. If you really do advocate such insanity as this you really do deserve a decade or two behind bars, no questions asked.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's loving outrageous. Isn't this something Obama is pushing too?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

That's loving outrageous. Isn't this something Obama is pushing too?

And folks in here usually think teapartiers are crazy when they say Obama is ceding American sovreignity.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe this is why Continuum almost didn't get renewed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I either need more money or more alcohol, because we're on track for an unironic version of that speech from Network.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
As long as we're posting old conspiracies, can we do the one where Bank of America was going to bankrupt the FDIC in an insurance scam?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Accretionist posted:

What's the best thread for TPP chat? I'm reading that apparently a recently leaked and still-classified section will permit corporations to sue governments for impinging on profitability which is pretty nuts:
If you watch This Week Tonight this isn't news.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

site posted:

That's loving outrageous. Isn't this something Obama is pushing too?

Horrible pro-Corporation Free Trade deals are one of the few genuinely bi-partisan policies out there.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

JT Jag posted:

If you watch This Week Tonight this isn't news.

This is not a new thing, a bunch of existing treaties have these investor-state dispute agreements. They are generally accepted to be really bad for everybody except multinational corporations. (Indeed, when the Economist is saying your policy is too much in favor of big companies, you know things are really hosed.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It now dawns on me that maybe Last Week Tonight might be around since it's only once a week. Really sucks that it's on HBO.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Mike Pence flailing around like a goddamn idiot on Stephanopoulos was one of the most satisfying things I've seen this week.

edit: this is the 3rd major PR fiasco Pence has had and his term isn't even up yet.

His first was only a few months into office, when he sided with the state's Department of Natural Resources on wanting to euthanize a baby deer that some police officer had rescued (and to charge the officer for illegally keeping wildlife). That one blew up in his face and the charges were dropped.

Second was the "Pravda on the Plains" disaster when it got leaked that the governor's office was planning to build a state-run media service, and now this. He's such a complete loving amateur that its amazing he ever had delusions of sitting in the Oval Office in the first place.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 30, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He'll be re-elected with at least 55% of the vote and frontrunner in 2020.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Vernii posted:

Mike Pence flailing around like a goddamn idiot on Stephanopoulos was one of the most satisfying things I've seen this week.

edit: this is the 3rd major PR fiasco Pence has had and his term isn't even up yet.

His first was only a few months into office, when he sided with the state's Department of Natural Resources on wanting to euthanize a baby deer that some police officer had rescued (and to charge the officer for illegally keeping wildlife). That one blew up in his face and the charges were dropped.

Second was the "Pravda on the Plains" disaster when it got leaked that the governor's office was planning to build a state-run media service, and now this. He's such a complete loving amateur that its amazing he ever had delusions of sitting in the Oval Office in the first place.

Are there any current (or recently current) republican governors who don't have presidential aspirations?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Are there any current (or recently current) republican governors politicians who don't have presidential aspirations?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Are there any current (or recently current) republican governors who don't have presidential aspirations?

dave heineman

dude's popular enough that nebraskans would probably elect him New Jesus if he asked, but he seems content to ride off into the sunset world of academia

bill haslem, though he's stronger than most of these midwesterners

everybody from the Deep South who knows he is nonviable on the national stage

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 30, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Are there any current (or recently current) republican governors who don't have presidential aspirations?

I would enjoy watching a Paul LePage Presidential campaign :munch:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Unlike Barack Obama, I was not a community organizer before I was elected to the Senate." ~ Ted Cruz.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Those goddamn community organizers! :argh:

site fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 30, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

how the hell does Maine work anyway

is it like a Reverse West Virginia

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Unlike Barack Obama, I was not a community organizer before I was elected to the Senate." ~ Ted Cruz.

Yeah I was a Harvard lawyer unlike that loser obummer

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PupsOfWar posted:

how the hell does Maine work anyway

is it like a Reverse West Virginia

No, they've just had a third party spoiler candidate, Eliot Cutler, run in the last two elections, tipping the result to LePage. Cutler seemed to realize that this was going to happen again in 2014 and tried to kind-of-sort-of quit at the 11th hour, but it was too late. Cutler got 10% of the vote and LePage won by a point.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Michaud's old seat also fell to the GOP, looks like :smith:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Temporary Dictatorship sounds pretty nice right about now.

(I Volunteered in Michaud's Campaign and THIS STILL HAPPENED I CANT) :kheldragar:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's the same problem I have with Hoosiers. They'll play civil to your face and talk poo poo behind your back. We don't got time for that bullshit in a real city, we're man enough to talk poo poo and take poo poo so long as we know where we stand. And for that, we get called assholes. Well, guess what? Auntie May down in Indy gonna bless your heart, and soon as you leave her kitchen, hope you die. Auntie Inga in the cities gonna do the same, inbetween a screed on Somali immigrants and native welfare queens.

Hoosiers? They don't wanna do something any more, they wanna be somebody. You ain't poo poo in this world if you don't do nothing, your title is meaningless unless you can back it up with acceptable action. Guess what? Governor Pence wants to be somebody more than he wants to do something constructive, just like the rest of Hoosierville. You get the elected officials who best represent the electorate, and frankly, Indiana electorate is poo poo, absolute poo poo, get out Fried Chicken, re-list your number, get in bettylu's good graces, and make the jump to Team Rahm.

This, and all the other posts about how people who live in <poster's city> are more straightforward and easy to deal with than people in <other place> are hilarious. I can guarantee, if the two places are close to one another, then you will find both groups saying that same poo poo about each other. I wish people were more cognizant of their own ingroup/outgroup bias.

MIGF is probably a lost cause on that front, though.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

dave heineman

dude's popular enough that nebraskans would probably elect him New Jesus if he asked, but he seems content to ride off into the sunset world of academia

The uproar when he applied to be president of the University of Nebraska system was pretty great. Didn't even make the final list.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

site posted:

Those goddamn community organizers! :argh:

I never got why "community organizer" was a punchline. Is it an issue of suburban dwellers not having any experience with that concept outside like the PTA or what?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

I never got why "community organizer" was a punchline. Is it an issue of suburban dwellers not having any experience with that concept outside like the PTA or what?

They want to say communist but they know they would get called on it...

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Kellsterik posted:

I never got why "community organizer" was a punchline. Is it an issue of suburban dwellers not having any experience with that concept outside like the PTA or what?

I too am curious about it.

Obviously the right-wing was able to turn it into a perjorative, but what are people thinking about when they use it?

is it "College kid poverty-tourist joke job that only an idiot would cite as real Experience" or is it "sinister agent of the corrupt Chicago electioneering apparatus"? Neither? Both all at once?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

PupsOfWar posted:

I too am curious about it.

Obviously the right-wing was able to turn it into a perjorative, but what are people thinking about when they use it?

is it "College kid poverty-tourist joke job that only an idiot would cite as real Experience" or is it "sinister agent of the corrupt Chicago electioneering apparatus"? Neither? Both all at once?

It works for both things which is why it sticks around.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

PupsOfWar posted:

I too am curious about it.

Obviously the right-wing was able to turn it into a perjorative, but what are people thinking about when they use it?

is it "College kid poverty-tourist joke job that only an idiot would cite as real Experience" or is it "sinister agent of the corrupt Chicago electioneering apparatus"? Neither? Both all at once?

For a lot of people, it doesn't sound like a real job, so they mock it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have no loving clue what a "community organizer" is.

  • Locked thread