Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wait till the end, if he sorts out his poo poo then loving goldmine this thread, otherwise yeah gas away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Artum posted:

Wait till the end, if he sorts out his poo poo then loving goldmine this thread, otherwise yeah gas away.

Probate all of you people for a month so my friend Clawshrimpy can watch Gainer in peace.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

Probate all of you people for a month so my friend Clawshrimpy can watch Gainer in peace.

Making shitposts on an internet forum is bullying, therefore you're evil and should die.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i think taking a stand either way is the real evil

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

This thread may be a goner but I'm glad I discovered this show because of it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

This thread may be a goner but I'm glad I discovered this show because of it.

I like Gainer a lot

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Three days is the time limit. Let's not jump the gun.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

I'm really feeling this gif.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shukaro posted:

I'm really feeling this gif.

It's a good gif and the OP is playing in my head as I look at it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I usually find anime children annoying but Ana is just the best.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tomino is good at writing child characters.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
This thread got me to rewatch King Gainer and I'm really enjoying it. Maybe its the second rewatch and maybe its coming off of just finishing Reconguista but I think I'm appreciating the tomino-ness of it more.

Also its the only OP I'll watch every time other than Toki wo Koete.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if you skip the lain op, you're dead to me

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Anyone who skips Dunbine's opening is a monster. :colbert:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Rinbu Revolution and Yakusoku wa Iranai shouldn't be skipped either.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
I felt the need to step out of the thread for a while, it was getting too heated and emotional in here. and there were periods where I broke down and couldn't even read the thread because it was making me so anxious.

But I feel the least I could do tonight is stick to the "as least one episode a day" rule and move on the next Gainer episode for now. I'm not trying to ignore what you guys said earlier, it just kind of hosed me up and I needed to get away for a bit.

Overman King Gainer Episode 14

This is a weird episode to analyze, because the A-plot is decent but the B-plot is kinda really awful, and I mean really really bad comedy filler stuff.

The A-Plot is pretty interesting as we finally learn of the identity of that girl that keeps challenging Gainer to games, Cynthia. Gainer's pretty excited to get a chance to see her, but it turns out Cynthia's not exactly in the area to see Gainer, because, well she works for Kids Munt and SR. See, because of Asuham's decision to go rogue and ignore orders in order to continue chasing Gain, Kids Munt got fed up and decided to send an Overman Pilot to capture him, namely Cynthia and her very strange shapeshifting Overman Dominator. You know how Gainer is a better pilot because he plays games, but he can tell the different between fantasy and reality? Cynthia's the exact opposite, as everything's a game to her. Which really shows in the way her Overman, Dominator fights. She pratically toys with Asuham and his forces and easily disabled their Golames, even shrugging off the one combination Overskill of the Under Golame's. Zakki gets away temporarily, and Cynthia has to chase him down, but rather than disable his overman like the others, she just breaks the ice and lets Zakki sink to the bottom of the frozen lake.

But that's when she runs into Gainer, Despite not knowing it's her Game Rival piloting the thing, she decides to attack King Gainer even though it wasn't a part of her mission, umm, just for fun I guess? and while it has a powerful overskill, unfortunately since the show is developing a trend of King Gainer having a hard time with the new opponents and the loving Gotchko suddenly becoming the most powerful unit on the show for some reason, it's Gain that manages to defeat Cynthia with Brunhilde's arm, not Gainer, which kinda pisses me off, I complained before that Gainer wins too easily sometimes but, god, not at the cost of making Gain the one that saves the day every time! He's not the likable one! I kinda hate the Brunhilde episodes now for suddenly making the Gotchko superpowerful now.

And then the B-plot is just awful, get this, the Princess and the handmaiden go out for a while, and one of the princess ferrets goes missing, and SO IT IS UP TO THE HANDMAIDEN AND THE TEACHER TO GET INTO WACKY HIJINX TO GET THE MISSING FERRET BACK. Yeah.....it's bad. The less said about that waste of time the better.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dominator is cool and animated in a really nice way.

DrOswald
Feb 22, 2014

Clawshrimpy posted:

I felt the need to step out of the thread for a while, it was getting too heated and emotional in here. and there were periods where I broke down and couldn't even read the thread because it was making me so anxious.

But I feel the least I could do tonight is stick to the "as least one episode a day" rule and move on the next Gainer episode for now. I'm not trying to ignore what you guys said earlier, it just kind of hosed me up and I needed to get away for a bit.

Don't feel bad for needing to step away. You are trying to do something hard here, no one reasonable will hold it against you if you take your time to adjust.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
But I'll give the episode this, at least at no point in this episode do the heroes do anything terrible. It can go an episode without making you hate the Exodus I guess, even if half the episode is just looking for a ferret.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Clawshrimpy posted:

And then the B-plot is just awful, get this, the Princess and the handmaiden go out for a while, and one of the princess ferrets goes missing, and SO IT IS UP TO THE HANDMAIDEN AND THE TEACHER TO GET INTO WACKY HIJINX TO GET THE MISSING FERRET BACK. Yeah.....it's bad. The less said about that waste of time the better.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

At the very least, it's not the worst comedy B-plot in a Tomino anime.

WHITE BASE IS OUT OF SALT GO GET ME SOME SALT

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

I don't know what particular show you're referring to, since I haven't seen much of Tomino's work, but salt is very important. I don't see why being low on a vital resource and needing to go get more would make for a pointless subplot.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

glomkettle posted:

I don't know what particular show you're referring to, since I haven't seen much of Tomino's work, but salt is very important. I don't see why being low on a vital resource and needing to go get more would make for a pointless subplot.

On the left, the profound dissapointment of a man confronting an un-salted burger. On the right, the crippling shame of the man forced to serve it. This is the greatest tragedy ever told.

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

Clawshrimpy posted:

At the very least, it's not the worst comedy B-plot in a Tomino anime.

WHITE BASE IS OUT OF SALT GO GET ME SOME SALT

Shrimpy, the salt shortage was not a comedy B-plot. And for that matter people make fun of it on /m/ and other places because "hurrdurr salt", but it's kinda an invaluable substance and has countless applications. Basic sodium chloride -table salt- is also the salt used in water softeners. And open up any cookbook and you'll find many meals require salt.

EDIT: sodium chloride -table salt- is also the kind of salt used in water softeners. Not sure if Tomino had that in mind when they did the episode but you don't want hard water in an industrial setting; the minerals are a breeding ground for corrosion.

Steam fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 30, 2015

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I'm not sure why you think the ferret thing was supposed to be comedy either. Those weren't hijinks. They almost died.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

John Carstairs posted:

I'm not sure why you think the ferret thing was supposed to be comedy either. Those weren't hijinks. They almost died.

Almost died looking for a drat pet and ended up falling in inc-cold water because of said pet., you mean, not to any kind of serious threat, that sounds like a crappy b-plot to me.

It's moments like these that I'm glad I didn't pick Xabungle. God know how stupid it gets when Tomino diliberately tries to make the whole show about comedy

Like a said, dumb comedy is probably better than the alternative though. more of Exodus being awful.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 30, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
A lot of people are very serious about their pets and would do drat near anything for them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Adding to that, Ana's a six, maybe seven-year-old (?) girl only recently estranged from her father possibly forever. As a member of royalty it's incredibly doubtful she was allowed to keep many friends her own age, so her pets and her tutor are pretty much her family at the moment.

I'm not big on animals and I've never owned a pet, but it's clear they'd be important to her.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

More importantly about the salt thing, the episode in which that occurs has plenty of other things going on besides SALT. It's called "Sayla's Agony" instead of "White Base Cooking Trouble!" for a reason.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Steam posted:

Shrimpy, the salt shortage was not a comedy B-plot. And for that matter people make fun of it on /m/ and other places because "hurrdurr salt", but it's kinda an invaluable substance and has countless applications. Basic sodium chloride -table salt- is also the salt used in water softeners. And open up any cookbook and you'll find many meals require salt.

EDIT: sodium chloride -table salt- is also the kind of salt used in water softeners. Not sure if Tomino had that in mind when they did the episode but you don't want hard water in an industrial setting; the minerals are a breeding ground for corrosion.

Salt was so valuable that they paid Roman soldiers in it, from which we get the word "salary". I'm willing to bet that said Romans would be pretty amazed at people in the developed world having an excess of sodium from eating too much cheap food.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Oh man, episode 14 is one of my favorites! The Dominator ate a bunch of OKG's budget and it was so worth it for that fight. Also I don't particularly remember the ferret thing being that comedic, the show weirdly plays it for drama (aside from Linse being adorable/so strong) and it's there to start the romance between Liubouv and Mamadu. Also the song at the end is killer.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I'm going to watch this show because of this thread, and it looks like other people are too, so at least some good came out of it right?

Clawshrimpy, best of luck to you. It's hard to change, and so easy to lock yourself into the line of thinking that it's better to not do anything than risk failing. But that's no way to live.

That people can be aware of their faults and change, that they can learn and grow is one of the most beautiful things about humanity. Of course, you have to both want to change, and believe you can change in order to have any hope of doing so.

So, are you happy with how your life is? You said you don't like being chased out of various forums, so I'm guessing no. Do you want to be happier? Do you think you can be happier? If you can answer yes, you can do it. It'll be difficult and scary but that's what friends and therapists are for. And the result will be worth it.

ganbare shrimpy-kun

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Oh man, episode 14 is one of my favorites! The Dominator ate a bunch of OKG's budget and it was so worth it for that fight. Also I don't particularly remember the ferret thing being that comedic, the show weirdly plays it for drama (aside from Linse being adorable/so strong) and it's there to start the romance between Liubouv and Mamadu. Also the song at the end is killer.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The dominator rules!!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

I complained before that Gainer wins too easily sometimes but, god, not at the cost of making Gain the one that saves the day every time! He's not the likable one!

It's like the two of them are the protagonists or something

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
So far, this journey has not been as sagacious as the thread title is telling me.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Compendium posted:

So far, this journey has not been as sagacious as the thread title is telling me.

Beef Waifu is a mystic and could see into the future enough to realize that misusing words was going to be a theme of the thread and adjusted to match.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Namtab posted:

It's like the two of them are the protagonists or something

Yeah but Gain's such a jerk, though. I'd rather see Sara become more powerful than him.

To be honest I'm still mad he didn't die in the Brunhilde arc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clawshrimpy posted:

Yeah but Gain's such a jerk, though. I'd rather see Sara become more powerful than him.

To be honest I'm still mad he didn't die in the Brunhilde arc.

Wow this character is less than perfectly polite. I hope they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wow this character is less than perfectly polite. I hope they die.

This is coming from someone who was actually happy when Kamina died and I hoped that meant the show would improve with him gone. Which it kinda did for a while until Simon changed to essentially take his place.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 30, 2015

• Locked thread