Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
My understanding of the Nova comic is that Loeb came in with a pitch that everyone groaned about, wrote it decently for 5-6 issues, then much like what happened with [Red}Hulk, other writers came in and actually turned the comic into something good. At this point Duggan must have put out at least 2-3 times as many comics featuring Sam as Loeb wrote.

Basically the character might have been dumb, either as a tie-in to the animated series that everyone hated because it was replacing a good animated series and looked like poo poo, or because he created the character and wrote the book as a tribute to his Son who had been dead for 5+ years; all that aside though Loeb's contribution to the character beyond the initial premise seem like a drop in the well in comparison to the work that has been done on the character by other writers by this point.

I'm not a huge fan of the character either, Space heroes who spend all their time on Earth aren't particularly interesting and I generally avoid "teen" aimed series(Squirrel Girl and Ms.Marvel being my two exceptions at the moment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Oh for gently caress's sake, he's calling this one Hamlet? :jerkbag: Why is he even still thinking about his only son, who died young with a full life ahead of him, after a torturous illness that he as a father was powerless to fix or even slow, no matter how much the sick child believed in his dad's power to make everything right? It's been five loving years!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kyle Rayner is worse in every way than Loeb naming Nova after his son, but everyone loves Kyle.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Squizzle posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, he's calling this one Hamlet? :jerkbag: Why is he even still thinking about his only son, who died young with a full life ahead of him, after a torturous illness that he as a father was powerless to fix or even slow, no matter how much the sick child believed in his dad's power to make everything right? It's been five loving years!

Well maybe he shouldn't have allowed his play to be shown to actual faeries, and he should have at least warned him about taking gift from strangers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

imho he should have just forgotten about the child he helped raise from birth to the cusp of adulthood, instead of letting his life-altering grief affect the names of my colorful lazor cartoon mans.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If it weren't for Loeb loving his son, children today would love Dick Rider, and eagerly watch the Dick Rider cartoon show, and read Dick Rider comics, and beg their parents for Dick Rider toys. They would talk about how Dick Rider inspires them, and how much they want to be Dick Rider and have his, Dick Rider's, special strong powers. When they grow up they would be like me, and carry the example of Dick Rider in their hearts. But no, Jeph Evil Monster Loeb stole that from me and from all children, and now I don't get new Dick Rider comics, even though he was the best and strongest man. I hate this Sam character and by extension hate all Sams, living and dead, because I want Dick Rider picture books and Dick Rider movies, not Sam books and Sam movies.

Dick Rider forever.

Dick Rider best.

Jeph Loeb worst man. No to Jeph. No to Sam. Always Dick. Always the Dick Rider.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

why do we even have emotions

not feeling love or sadness would be better than not having picture magazines with my favorite space man

what good is caring about our families if it means living in a world with stories about fictional people we don't like

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I got home drunk at about 3am this morning and read New Avengers. I think I probably need to re-read it, but it was pretty loving great on multiple levels. I'm going to be really sad when Hickman's run ends, although the whole thing is just going to be such a fantastic complete run.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Kyle Rayner is worse in every way than Loeb naming Nova after his son, but everyone loves Kyle.
Well they also hate Loeb so it is sort of multiplicative.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

if only I could make this my new avatar

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

PaybackJack posted:

My understanding of the Nova comic is that Loeb came in with a pitch that everyone groaned about, wrote it decently for 5-6 issues, then much like what happened with [Red}Hulk, other writers came in and actually turned the comic into something good. At this point Duggan must have put out at least 2-3 times as many comics featuring Sam as Loeb wrote.

Basically the character might have been dumb, either as a tie-in to the animated series that everyone hated because it was replacing a good animated series and looked like poo poo, or because he created the character and wrote the book as a tribute to his Son who had been dead for 5+ years; all that aside though Loeb's contribution to the character beyond the initial premise seem like a drop in the well in comparison to the work that has been done on the character by other writers by this point.

I'm not a huge fan of the character either, Space heroes who spend all their time on Earth aren't particularly interesting and I generally avoid "teen" aimed series(Squirrel Girl and Ms.Marvel being my two exceptions at the moment).

No, Loeb's arc was good. It laid all the groundwork, introducing a solid cast of characters, and felt like a good sci-fi take on the teen hero formula. It felt like a very deliberate pitch to carry the character through various media. Also, the Nova series has a good blend of space and Earthbound action. Everyone has their preferences, but I think they've done a commendable job.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

if only I could make this my new avatar

Best attempt:

Oh well.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Rider of Dicks was my favorite Marvel character for a long time, and I've really enjoyed Sam as well.

That said, I wouldn't really call Sam's book one of Marvel's top-tier books right now, or even one of their top-tier "teen hero" books. The storyline has been kind of uneven and schizophrenic -- which does kind of help illustrate how uneven and schizophrenic Sam's life has been -- but makes it hard to have any long-term investment in the ongoing plots. Of all the books I buy, it's probably the one I most often forget to check in on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Loeb didn't just write a crappy origin and leave while other writers did all the heavy lifting. His arc was good and was what got people interested in the character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I actually prefer cosmic Dick to Sam, but that is because I am kind of burned out on Teenage Superheroes at the moment.

They tend to run together at some point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

No, Loeb's arc was good. It laid all the groundwork, introducing a solid cast of characters, and felt like a good sci-fi take on the teen hero formula. It felt like a very deliberate pitch to carry the character through various media. Also, the Nova series has a good blend of space and Earthbound action. Everyone has their preferences, but I think they've done a commendable job.

Can't wait until he fights :negative:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually prefer cosmic Dick to Sam, but that is because I am kind of burned out on Teenage Superheroes at the moment.

They tend to run together at some point.

At least the trend of creating teen hero teams specifically to kill half of them in the first arc seems to be over for now.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I've tried the new Nova three times based on goon suggestions that it was actually good. Each time I've been disappointed.

As well as lacking the heart and fun of other teen heroes like Ms Marvel, Early Invincible or even freakin' Gravity, it just generally didn't hook me or engage me at all. I don't care about the Sam Loeb thing, but what's meant to be so good about the new Nova as an actual character?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Also, the Nova series has a good blend of space and Earthbound action.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

team overhead smash posted:

I've tried the new Nova three times based on goon suggestions that it was actually good. Each time I've been disappointed.

As well as lacking the heart and fun of other teen heroes like Ms Marvel, Early Invincible or even freakin' Gravity, it just generally didn't hook me or engage me at all. I don't care about the Sam Loeb thing, but what's meant to be so good about the new Nova as an actual character?

The sheer joy he has about being a hero and the fact that he totally has no secret identity from his family and has to ask his mother for permission to go out flying? I mean, I guess you don't see the "heart and fun" and that's all fine and good for you, different strokes for different folks, but I mean there is no shortage of heart and fun when a kid brings Beta Ray Bill home to meet his mom and scares the poo poo out of her. Or when he is disappointed in joining the New Warriors because they're not the Avengers.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 29, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The fight against Carnage was great, and so was him going into space with Hulk.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also the adventures of Sam and his best friend Uatu. RIP Uatu.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

He now has Cosmo!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

He now has Cosmo!

Cosmo isn't much of a fan.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He could always fight Carnage a few more times telling him he's still not Sam Alexander. And then have more funtimes with the Hulk.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Cosmo isn't much of a fan.

They are cool as long as he never teleports the hulk into another volcano!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

They are cool as long as he never teleports the hulk into another volcano!

He brought Hulk into space. And Hulk in space is bad for everybody.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Deadpool posted:

Original Sin would've been much lesser without Sam and Uatu's friendship, it added so much to both of them.

One of my favorite early things with Sam, back when Wells was writing, was him simply using the fact that he met Thor as some sort of religious excuse "I have to go fight with my space powers, it's part of my religion!" "Son, knowing Thor is not a religion." or something along those lines.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Bendis clearly is doing a Nova Corps story in GOTG (at least he was hinting at it before I dropped it). So that's probably why Nova's book isn't doing much with the Corps.

I don't remember that at all? Is it something going on with this Black Vortex crossover that I'm skipping?

Abraham Lincoln
Feb 12, 2008
If you are a racist I will attack you with the North
Yesterday I re-read all of Time Runs Out in prep for the final two issues of Avengers/New Avengers before Secret Wars. Here are all the outstanding questions I had that need to be wrapped up:

- We know who the Ivory Kings and Rabum Alal are, but what was the catalyst that created a fight between the two?
- Where is Tony?
- Why did the number of multiverses all of a sudden reduce to under two dozen and why are there bottles over incursion points?
- What is Ultimate Reed planning with the Cabal?
- How will Earth's heroes fend off the attack from the invading space army?
- Chekov's guns that have yet to be fired: Sol's Hammer, the rogue planet, Cyclops' phoenix egg, Pod (a lot of time was spent on Pod that has yet to come to fruition), Validator and the power of evolution, the evacuation ship Reed and T'Challa are building with the LT's skin/fabric

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Abraham Lincoln posted:

Yesterday I re-read all of Time Runs Out in prep for the final two issues of Avengers/New Avengers before Secret Wars. Here are all the outstanding questions I had that need to be wrapped up:

- We know who the Ivory Kings and Rabum Alal are, but what was the catalyst that created a fight between the two?
- Where is Tony?
- Why did the number of multiverses all of a sudden reduce to under two dozen and why are there bottles over incursion points?
- What is Ultimate Reed planning with the Cabal?
- How will Earth's heroes fend off the attack from the invading space army?
- Chekov's guns that have yet to be fired: Sol's Hammer, the rogue planet, Cyclops' phoenix egg, Pod (a lot of time was spent on Pod that has yet to come to fruition), Validator and the power of evolution, the evacuation ship Reed and T'Challa are building with the LT's skin/fabric

Don't forget "when is nation x going to be a thing and where the gently caress did he get a phoenix egg anyway"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'd also like to know what led Tony to try to take on the Cabal alone. None of the Illuminati seem to have anything against Tony so I don't think he was kicked out of the group.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'd also like to know what led Tony to try to take on the Cabal alone. None of the Illuminati seem to have anything against Tony so I don't think he was kicked out of the group.

Probably inversion arrogance. "I'm the superior big poo poo iron man now I bet I can take on the cabal alone".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nevvy Z posted:

Don't forget "when is nation x going to be a thing and where the gently caress did he get a phoenix egg anyway"

Jean laid it way back in the 80s, duh.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I wonder if the rogue planet will become Battleworld.

Abraham Lincoln
Feb 12, 2008
If you are a racist I will attack you with the North

Nevvy Z posted:

Likely Bendis' job to explain. This is where All-New/Uncanny are racing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We didn't see the rogue planet get used, but Franklin did say it didn't work so it doesn't really need to be addressed.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Aphrodite posted:

We didn't see the rogue planet get used, but Franklin did say it didn't work so it doesn't really need to be addressed.

Yeah, I'm guessing that they're going to try to do that and the Sol's Hammer plans, neither will work and the life raft option goes into effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Soonmot posted:

I don't remember that at all? Is it something going on with this Black Vortex crossover that I'm skipping?

Richard Rider and the Nova Corps were just mentioned in the latest issue of Nova. Maybe they'll play a bigger role later?

• Locked thread