Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
FFRK content chatter:

There's a ton of content in Japan and I imagine it'll make its way here as well. The English version also launched with a few things Japan didn't launch with, like growth eggs. Hopefully the updates come out faster than once a month here but we'll see. DeNA West has done some weird poo poo like change all the SNES paintings to painting from the remakes, which seems like a nice waste of time that could've been spent on actual content instead of removing nostalgia from the game.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

In that case, I'll keep playing it until I hit a paywall. Until then it's not so bad.

My general advice is early on, get salve on characters that can use it (Wakka and Tidus), and two cures on Tyro. Salve is great, it restores like twice as much as cure per use. More flat HP counts more than support early on. Kain and Cloud fill out my other two slots. Whitemage and Blackmage are just too squishy to last a single big hit a lot of the time, unfortunately.

Edit: The Reason I stopped playing brave frontier was that one event that explicitly required a rare summon unit to even participate. I saw it as a sign that that kind of BS would continue in the future and stopped immediately.

Edit Edit: I already blew through all the non-advanced content. Within 24 hours of me downloading the game. Without me spending a dime. :psyduck: This new stuff better be coming REALLY soon. (Figaro Cave- Challenge rating 15)

On the plus side I have plenty of time to grind now, I suppose. :shrug:

The current level I'm clearing on the Japanese version has Kraken as a boss and its rating is 53, regular not expert. There's a ton of content and hopefully it comes over here at a decently fast pace. There's also a lot of characters:

(I'm missing Warrior at the least)

The best suggestion for early on is to get the thunder melee attack and give it to cloud. You can use to to try and beat Octomann and the FF7 expert bosses. Octomann and the dust buster's stages can give you a 4 star staff and rod.

When I first played the game I got murdered by Baigan's arms too. The real roadblock for me was Vargas because I was so terribly leveled and setup. Plus I didn't know things like his bears are weak to fire or that there's no reason to use the Black Mage instead of Rydia because she's simply better, and putting Boost on Tyro so he can buff Cloud/Kain and other attackers and Cure when needed is better than trying to make him fight.

A fairly good setup in the current version is Cloud/Tidus/Kain(or Wakka) in the front row with Tyro and Rydia in the back. I managed to pull 2 swords, a dagger, and 2 armors with my mithril so Kain's damage kinda sucks because daggers suck.

I wonder if they'll eventually branch out into FFT/FFTA and spinoffs like "The After Years".

They did an event with Emperor's SaGa but no characters were added, just spells (including 2 star ones that hit all enemies) and gear that wasn't tied to any FF game thus never could get boosted stats I guess. I'm hoping they add FFT content but so far it's just 1-13, minus 11. I'd kill for FF14 content that gives us Hildibrand or Godbert as a playable character. We'd probably get Minfilia though. :smith:

Shwqa posted:

Here is a good little guide. http://toucharcade.com/2015/03/26/final-fantasy-record-keeper-guide-tips-cheats-hints/

Basically the elite dungeons rewards are greater base gems, so unless you can get greater elemental gems they are useless.

Couple adjustments for that:

- Once you have decent enough relic gear for your party play the long game and never pull for more gear until you have 50 mithril to blow on an 11 item pull, and only do it during a gacha event with gear you actually want. If it's only the default gacha don't pull.
- If you need to camp to recover you need to ht the daily dungeons more so you can level up your skills and characters. When you have 6+ uses of spells and skills that's plenty for any boss you have a decent chance of beating and no amount of camping will help you if you simply aren't setup to take on a very hard boss. Like in the Mt. Ordeals event dungeon.
- If you get petrified you're better off restarting the fight than wasting a skill slot for something that's rare as hell and takes up an already valuable skill spot.
- A level 25 no-IAP party is going to get destroyed by event dungeons like Mt. Ordeals unless DeNA west lowered the difficulty*. Maybe he means the daily dungeons but event the hard daily dungeons are not going to be pleasant for level 25-30 parties. Depending on party/skill/gear layout it doable but if you can barely beat hard then you can probably effortlessly farm normal.

* When the Ordeals event dungeon first came out Dark Knight Cecil's dark wave could easily do over 1k damage to everyone in the party and when I first fought him he loved to use it multiple times in a row. The main strategy at the time was to give someone the attack that lower's an enemy's damage and hit him with it immediately so his wave would do about half as much, then use it again a few rounds in to the fight to reapply it, and hope you kill him fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, I broke my hand boxing and I'm getting surgery on Thursday. What this means for me, and why I'm bringing this up here, is that I'll only have use of my left hand for about a month. Any recommendations on iPhone(6) or iPad(Air) games that I can play one handed? I have XCOM, that should work out alright, but I'm open to suggestion on all types of games.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

omg chael crash posted:

So, I broke my hand boxing and I'm getting surgery on Thursday. What this means for me, and why I'm bringing this up here, is that I'll only have use of my left hand for about a month. Any recommendations on iPhone(6) or iPad(Air) games that I can play one handed? I have XCOM, that should work out alright, but I'm open to suggestion on all types of games.

I really like quiz up, if your into such things.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFRK content chatter:

Thanks for this. So from your picture, it's better to just roll with a good team rather than try to balance levels?

Also, no Mog? Bastards.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFRK content chatter:

When I first played the game I got murdered by Baigan's arms too. The real roadblock for me was Vargas because I was so terribly leveled and setup. Plus I didn't know things like his bears are weak to fire or that there's no reason to use the Black Mage instead of Rydia because she's simply better, and putting Boost on Tyro so he can buff Cloud/Kain and other attackers and Cure when needed is better than trying to make him fight.

- If you need to camp to recover you need to ht the daily dungeons more so you can level up your skills and characters. When you have 6+ uses of spells and skills that's plenty for any boss you have a decent chance of beating and no amount of camping will help you if you simply aren't setup to take on a very hard boss. Like in the Mt. Ordeals event dungeon.

The main reason to use Black Mage is he's currently the only reliable source of dark-element damage with his limit break. This is needed for a few medal challenges, like against Mist Dragon or Octomom. (You fight a lot of Moms in FF4, come to think of it. I count at least six major bosses that are moms. Four of which are already fightable in FFRK. The other two being Edge's Mom, and the mother-of-all-summons.)

Also, never camp ever. If you need to recover, wait for some energy then go beat up lower level enemies in the dungeon for a while, because potions/ethers are a thing. It takes energy doing this, but that's better than wasting mithril usually. If you can't, you're underpowered.

One thing the game kind of desperately needs later is the ability to save party loadouts, especially since optimize doesn't pay attention to the series of dungeons you're about to head into..

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 29, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

McDragon posted:

Thanks for this. So from your picture, it's better to just roll with a good team rather than try to balance levels?

Also, no Mog? Bastards.

Also no Gilgamesh :sigh:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Jibo posted:

It's really lame to have cleared out so many FFV and FFVI missions without getting anyone for either of those games.

Played FFRK through all the non-elite content and yeah, not having a single FFVI character unlock the whole way through was pretty poo poo. All my relic gear is from XII and VI and not being able to equip it to the right people is lame.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What are the Eggs for?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I don't think FFRK even has 5* gear for all the games, let alone characters from each. I wouldn't buy gems / spend mythril on relics for a good while because of it.

Kheldarn posted:

What are the Eggs for?

Feed them to your party members from the party menu, they're full of tasty EXP.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Played FFRK through all the non-elite content and yeah, not having a single FFVI character unlock the whole way through was pretty poo poo. All my relic gear is from XII and VI and not being able to equip it to the right people is lame.

I'm pretty characters don't get a bonus for using items from their world.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Shwqa posted:

I'm pretty characters don't get a bonus for using items from their world.

Tutorial says they do at least

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Really wish Democracy 3 had the DLC in it. Even as IAP. :( Such a great game but I need more.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

McDragon posted:

Also, no Mog? Bastards.

Eventually having teams for specific games is probably needed for the hard master levels of some events since they're really goddamn hard then, but for 90-95% of the content just having a solid team with good levels/gear/skills is enough.

The main reason to use Black Mage is he's currently the only reliable source of dark-element damage with his limit break. This is needed for a few medal challenges, like against Mist Dragon or Octomom. (You fight a lot of Moms in FF4, come to think of it. I count at least six major bosses that are moms. Four of which are already fightable in FFRK. The other two being Edge's Mom, and the mother-of-all-summons.)

You don't need those bonuses to get gold on their levels though, but yeah it can help. Whether it's worth putting a lot of time and XP in to a pretty worthless character is debateable. XP put in to Black Mage is XP not put in to othr characters, and you can miss a boss challenge or two and still be ok if you get 8/9 or 9/9 medals on the non-boss stages.

I don't think FFRK even has 5* gear for all the games, let alone characters from each. I wouldn't buy gems / spend mythril on relics for a good while because of it.

The English version doesn't, the Japanese version does. It's also been out for months there so the English version has a lot to catchup on. Using the same game's gear on one of its characters is nice but it's not required. My Cloud's weapon/armor are from FF7 but Cecil uses an FF3 sword, the spear Tyro has is FF4 (and Kain does well with it when I run FF4 stuff) and so on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I downloaded this Final Fantasy game, especially after seeing that post up there showing all the characters. It seems like this will be a fun little time waster.

Game companies should be forced to include options to skip tutorials in games because jesus christ. Just let me PLAY THE GAME. I'll figure this poo poo out on my own! I don't need every. single. thing. explained to me with a box of text. I've started just mashing the screen skipping past everything cause my god.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I get why you feel that way, but for every one of you, there's a hundred people who miss basic concepts of games. In fact I'd say the one of the biggest problems with Summoners War is that the tutorial doesn't teach you enough. On the one hand, it was fun figuring things out and talking to other human beings about the game to learn things, but on the other hand I spent the first week or two floundering around wasting a lot of resources.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Eventually having teams for specific games is probably needed for the hard master levels of some events since they're really goddamn hard then, but for 90-95% of the content just having a solid team with good levels/gear/skills is enough.

You don't need those bonuses to get gold on their levels though, but yeah it can help. Whether it's worth putting a lot of time and XP in to a pretty worthless character is debateable. XP put in to Black Mage is XP not put in to othr characters, and you can miss a boss challenge or two and still be ok if you get 8/9 or 9/9 medals on the non-boss stages.

The English version doesn't, the Japanese version does. It's also been out for months there so the English version has a lot to catchup on. Using the same game's gear on one of its characters is nice but it's not required. My Cloud's weapon/armor are from FF7 but Cecil uses an FF3 sword, the spear Tyro has is FF4 (and Kain does well with it when I run FF4 stuff) and so on.

Yeah, I don't think there's a specific bonus for equipping a character with items from their game- except when you're playing in one of their game levels. Then it makes the power boost a lot more pronounced. I don't know the exact math, but so far characters equipped with game-appropriate defense items seem to take half damage. Whether that's the actual effect or just how the math works out for me so far, I don't know.

Yeah, but it's not like Young Rydia is a super long-term character either since she's later outclassed by Golbez and Vivi. It's not super worth stressing out about right now while the game doesn't even have the full range of equipment, stages, characters and abilities to support its main gimmick is all I'm saying. Still, she does have better stats than Black Mage at the cost of a worse soul break, so there is at least one reason to use black mage is all I'm saying.

Aside from the lack of saveable formations, characters not having their special skills is also something I find strange. I understand not every character from every series HAS them, but Kain not being able to jump at will seems strange to me.

Some weird details I've figured out: (One weird trick figured out by some nerd! Kefka hates this!)

XP is divided between all your party members. Not very hard to figure out, but a detail that some may overlook. If you want to level up a specific character faster, don't take a full party. (Dead people count as not being in your party. :black101:)

Unfortunately, boosted equipment has a cap. You can only raise most items 2* above their base level, say a 1* item to a 3* item. And they'll generally be worse than a natural 3* item. That said, they're still better than the base item, so if all you have is crappy 1-3* gear it's definitely worth working on until you find better stuff.

You can revisit previous levels in a dungeon you're still in. In addition to being able to continuously grind soul break meter, potions and ethers on easier enemies to recharge for the next boss in exchange for energy, you can also grind for materials. Rumor is some stages in a dungeon may be better for grinding certain materials than others, but that's just hearsay at this point.

Boost seems to be a 50% attack power boost. Not that great at low levels, but once you start getting elemental strike skills on cloud the difference is huge as a weak point hit can go from 2000 to 3000. Salve is still amazing and is competitive with cura.

Whips, throwing weapons, bows, and musical instruments all do full damage from the back row. Thowing weapons and bows in particular do double damage to flying enemies like birds and bees. Abuse that. You can get a silver harp fairly easy, and it's great on Tyro if you want to make him into back-row support.

The generic job guys... kinda suck. They generally have lower overall stats than goddamn Tyro at the same level, except for the two they specialize in. Use the named dudes instead. The only two exceptions are black mage if you REALLY need a source of dark damage, and White mage because she's a white mage. (I just use Tyro as a harp-wielding white mage instead.)

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 30, 2015

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Nosre posted:

So, a legendary will overwrite both the blue and white versions of a specific bonus (worm frequency/length/explosion, for instance)? Assuming the cards are leveled equally. I thought I was being pro stacking all three.
Pocket Mine is really unclear about this, and in particular with it being inconsistent between cards/gear.
It really needs a summary screen that shows the sum of effects being applied, so you can understand how it works.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I hope FFRK introduces Aeris soon, just to annoy the spergier folks. :allears:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I hope FFRK introduces Aeris soon, just to annoy the spergier folks. :allears:

More likely they introduce her as a consumable IAP (justified by her death.)

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

FFRK was a fun couple of hours to get through the current content, though being able to turn on auto-attack and just burn through all the non-bosses effortlessly was kinda boring.

Odd that we get Rydia but it doesn't look like we can make summons yet (or maybe I just haven't found where the materials drop)

Hoping they keep going on this game for a long time. Getting to basically play through a highlight reel of entire final fantasy games like this from beginning to end would be amazing.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
(Edit) Should we start a stand-alone FFRK thread? It seems like it could rival P&D, Brave Frontier, etc in interest on these boards, especially once the first few updates add some more meat to the bones.(/Edit)

wall monitor posted:

FFRK was a fun couple of hours to get through the current content, though being able to turn on auto-attack and just burn through all the non-bosses effortlessly was kinda boring.

Odd that we get Rydia but it doesn't look like we can make summons yet (or maybe I just haven't found where the materials drop)

Hoping they keep going on this game for a long time. Getting to basically play through a highlight reel of entire final fantasy games like this from beginning to end would be amazing.

It'll go on for at least six months. :shrug: But 99% likely this game will last a few years.

Also, summon orbs are only from events.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 30, 2015

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

FFRK is pretty fun. I spent yesterday just grinding the normal daily whenever I had stamina and got my main team to the high 20's. Now if only the relic spin would quit giving me only axes so I could get better weapons for Cloud / Tidus. :argh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MissMarple posted:

Pocket Mine is really unclear about this, and in particular with it being inconsistent between cards/gear.
It really needs a summary screen that shows the sum of effects being applied, so you can understand how it works.

The help menu makes it very clear that they do not stack. No one reads manuals though.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think we should eventually make a thread for ff:rk. Since it will have enough content at some point. But I think we should wait until there is already some more content there so we have something really for an op, and so there's enough to talk about it. Right now I think we're gonna enter a dead zone where everyone has gotten the current content done besides grinding and the daily stuff.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Do we have a Goon Guild for World Zombination?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
FFRK: Oh cool, you can get free 3* gear (rarely) from the boss of the ship graveyard. Black Cowls, FFIV.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 30, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

For the record I don't think xcom:ew works on ipod touches. I have a fully updated 5G and it crashes while loading the first mission every time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

For FFRK chat there's always the FF Megathread if it doesn't seem like a FFRK thread itself would be worth it.

Yeah, but it's not like Young Rydia is a super long-term character either since she's later outclassed by Golbez and Vivi. It's not super worth stressing out about right now while the game doesn't even have the full range of equipment, stages, characters and abilities to support its main gimmick is all I'm saying. Still, she does have better stats than Black Mage at the cost of a worse soul break, so there is at least one reason to use black mage is all I'm saying.

Golbez only recently came out (I forget when I got Vivi) so if you want a good black magic user for the next probably several months, Rydia's a good choice, though Lenna can use 1-2 star black magic too if the need arises and she'll be available much sooner than Golbex or Vivi if the English version follows the Japanese update order.

FFRK: Oh cool, you can get free 3* gear (rarely) from the boss of the ship graveyard. Black Cowls, FFIV.

If that was on normal that's pretty impressive (and lucky as hell). I've had early bosses drop me a 3 star crafting material once or twice but never gear.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

(One weird trick figured out by some nerd! Kefka hates this!) You can get a silver harp fairly easy, and it's great on Tyro if you want to make him into back-row support.

How do I get this Silver harp? Do you need to farm a specific area for it to drop?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gegil posted:

How do I get this Silver harp? Do you need to farm a specific area for it to drop?

I believe it is given out on the last level on ff6.

Senturion
Jul 29, 2013

Leif. posted:

Do we have a Goon Guild for World Zombination?

Survivors are Goon Squad 2. That said, I think most of us are inactive because the last update basically killed the endgame, but if you apply and pm me your name ingame I can accept it. You'll at least benefit from a bunch of guild perks that way.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

For FFRK chat there's always the FF Megathread if it doesn't seem like a FFRK thread itself would be worth it.

If that was on normal that's pretty impressive (and lucky as hell). I've had early bosses drop me a 3 star crafting material once or twice but never gear.

Yeah it's on normal, I've received one that way. If you need some decent caster gear than orbs or the like, it's not a bad option. Well, depending on the drop rate. It has 3 less defense than mithril armor, but has a bunch of res and mag/mind to go with it. It's pretty great.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 30, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I guess I was lucky, because I got a 3* Bone Armor from one of the FFIV bosses.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Tap titans keeps rolling back on me and I keep losing artifacts. I don't know why and it's really starting to bug me. I had unholy aura and lost it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The TouchArcade app is in desperate need of an update. How in the world do they not have the ability to swipe backwards?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

obi_ant posted:

The TouchArcade app is in desperate need of an update. How in the world do they not have the ability to swipe backwards?

Their programmer died in a climbing accident like two weeks before the app released, and going by io_burn's recent posts, I doubt they're bringing in enough money to hire someone else to work on it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Scratch-O posted:

Their programmer died in a climbing accident like two weeks before the app released, and going by io_burn's recent posts, I doubt they're bringing in enough money to hire someone else to work on it

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?
We released 1.1 of our little puzzle matching game. Gameplay is now a tad easier from the start making for longer games.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-slammers-drop/id962292082?ls=1&mt=8

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Azazel posted:

We released 1.1 of our little puzzle matching game. Gameplay is now a tad easier from the start making for longer games.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-slammers-drop/id962292082?ls=1&mt=8

Are you considering adding noses at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noses are IAP.