Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

So when do rails stop being useless for transport? One side of my city jumps through a lot of hoops to avoid a passenger line and I'm not actually sure it's worth it.

I'm pretty sure rail is useless for passengers and absolutely critical for cargo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'd seen these a few times in C:S screenshots, but apparently they exist in real life too! Two Freeways interchanging via a massive roundabout.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure rail is useless for passengers and absolutely critical for cargo.

Rail will totally haul passengers. I had issues with overcrowded rail stations until I set up my metro lines. Now that I have a metro, the trains don't get much ridership, but still some.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is rail supposed to exist to patch together bedroom communities with the urban core or what? I see a ton of ridership on the bus/metro (500-700 riders a day for 20,000 cims) which pulls a lot of cars off the road, but I'm lucky to break 50 riders on the train.

And yeah if you want to grow your industrial segment, place cargo train stations connecting outside of the city, and fire departments.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I initially had rail connecting outlying communities to the core with buses running in the various communities dropping people off at the train stations, then I replaced the downtown buses with a metro, and train ridership went up even more, but as I connected more and more of the outlying communities to the metro, and they became less outlying as the city stretched out to incorporate them, the train ridership dropped off significantly. At one point I had about 2000/week on the train at 40k citizens, but now that I've expanded the metro, I've got 8k a week on the metro and 700/week on the train with 85k citizens.

Trains are like freeways, Metros are like 6-lane roads, and buses are like 2 lane roads.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 30, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah trains are great for linking up far away towns with each other, specially if each town has a little feeder bus system. Just pretend you're playing Train Fever.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Yeah, the transport numbers in this game make no sense to me.

So many things say they'll bring in hella tourists, and then my airport does some dumb poo poo like 50 people. It in the middle of my 125+k city, with subway connection to all over the map, tons of level 3 high density commercial right next to it, and even a few monuments and other things.

It's like, why even bother? My awesome train line that i spent like a bajillion dollars making and goes around my entire city (one line each way so they never have to stop), and dedicated commuter rail stations for outside connections, and just nobody rides the thing.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'd seen these a few times in C:S screenshots, but apparently they exist in real life too! Two Freeways interchanging via a massive roundabout.

Often there are smaller variants as well:

As you might imagine, it's called a Roundabout Interchange.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Someone needs to build the swindon magic roundabout.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think people have actually exceeded the Swindon Magic Roundabout in number or roads it connects.

Nition posted:

As you might imagine, it's called a Roundabout Interchange.

Well, I knew about those, but those are just linking a freeway to normal streets. This is two highways feeding into a large traffic circle/roundabout (though the north/south freeway gets to run straight through). I didn't expect to see that.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Someone needs to build the swindon magic roundabout.

I think there's been a couple posted in this thread.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think people have actually exceeded the Swindon Magic Roundabout in number or roads it connects.

Well, I knew about those, but those are just linking a freeway to normal streets. This is two highways feeding into a large traffic circle/roundabout (though the north/south freeway gets to run straight through). I didn't expect to see that.

Oh yeah, fair enough.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

beerinator posted:

Here's my first real go at a cross over intersection (don't know the naming terminology). I've done on ramps and off ramps and I've used workshop interchanges that others have created, but I had a fairly unique size I needed to fit here (the map edge is right at the bottom of the image - the red truck has left my map border).

Here's a closer look.

I really just wish for a smoothing tool on the roads. It's hard to get them to slope or curve perfectly when you're dealing with tight spaces for the pylons.

Feels like I'm driving into Manhattan.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hailthefish posted:

Rail will totally haul passengers. I had issues with overcrowded rail stations until I set up my metro lines. Now that I have a metro, the trains don't get much ridership, but still some.

Oh yeah, it will haul passengers, it's just pointless given that Metro exists and is so easy.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah, it will haul passengers, it's just pointless given that Metro exists and is so easy.

And Metro is out of the way and doesn't require overpasses.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rail would be a lot more workable if the local passenger stations were smaller and could be elevated. It doesn't help that money is so easy in this game that the (I assume) increased cost of metro isn't noticeable.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Passenger rail is sorta pointless, yeah. Metro should probably be the last thing you unlock, rather than one of the first.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Even cargo rail doesn't seem to be all that necessary. My last Passes map had a decent-but-not-great rail system and no major traffic problems and once I got up to 15-20 tiles the commercial couldn't get their goods anymore. This time I'm up to 15 tiles, zero rails, hella traffic problems but no commercial complaints.

I think if you do choose to go with cargo rails, it has to be done well. A poor rail network is worse than no rail network. I didn't have any traffic problems last time (rail or road) so it looked like everything was fine, but commercial not getting their goods can sink your city badly in the end.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

According to Steam and basic math I've played on average 5.7 hours a day since Cities Skylines came out...

I accidentally told my wife this and now she yells at me every time she sees me playing the game :( It's probably for the best, I've been ignoring every other hobby or task. I can't remember the last time I was so absolutely consumed by a game.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

If I have an industrial area and relocate it then put housing where the industry used to be, will the ground stop being that weird purple colour?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Stoat posted:

If I have an industrial area and relocate it then put housing where the industry used to be, will the ground stop being that weird purple colour?

Yes. Make sure to get all the squares, even those 1x1 tanks vomit pollution everywhere.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rails exist so you can haul passengers to the top of ancient monasteries perched on the top of peaks. Subways can turn all sorts of ways but can't have elevated rails that are sometimes needed to go up a cliff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

E: wrong thread. :downs:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alkydere posted:

The M308 set to auto is also probably the best argument I've seen for taking Bulletstorm as it will vaporize anything.

Now I know this

might have confused you, but the payday 2 thread is that way. :v:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

am I the only one who will work on a city with full intentions of filling the entire map, get about 80,000 residents in, and decide that you can do better and start a new one?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

am I the only one who will work on a city with full intentions of filling the entire map, get about 80,000 residents in, and decide that you can do better and start a new one?

Nope, although I mostly restart mine after about a half hour

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Kind of. When I hit the 70-90K mark it usually feels like it's "complete" and adding anything more feels more like duplication than addition.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How many loving services do I need to get level 3 offices? My central business district has police, fire, clinics, schools, parks, a metro station, a ton of bus stops, and the Servicing Services building and the last bar still won't fill up.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Woahly poo poo, I just played my first city of this game and it was a trip. I built my first city from the ground up, everything routed super efficiently with massive income each week. Then my city starts having garbage problems, so I build more landfills and garbage burners. Only, both of those were already sufficient. The garbage problem was actually a traffic problem and building so many new trash-related services glutted the roads even further, thus continuing to reduce traffic speed. In the end my city became a wasteland of garbage and inefficiently routed garbage trucks driven by ghost-folk, as all the people had long since abandoned the failing hellscape. My final act was to widen every single road so, at the very least, the trucks could go to pick up all the garbage that no longer existed, because the buildings were bulldozed.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
So if you go from treeside road to undecorated road in the middle of a long stretch, the game puts cross walks at the transition. Good way to get crosswalks wherever you want.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I wish you could toggle whether or not an intersection has crosswalks, freely place crosswalks, and enact a "No Jaywalking" policy.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Do decorated roads function the same as regular roads, just making people nearby happier?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Putting a FD HQ in the middle of my CBD automagically upgraded practically every building in about a 400m radius, make sure you're using the larger flagship/HQ version of services.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Do decorated roads function the same as regular roads, just making people nearby happier?

I think they decrease noise pollution somewhat, and the roads with decorations on the side (i.e. not the 4 lane road, but the 2 and 6 lane roads) don't have on-street parking.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
help is this good or bad

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They might as well remove passenger rail and let me build above-ground subways.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bob le Moche posted:

help is this good or bad

:iia:

I mean it's probably bad from a practical standpoint but who cares it's amazing to behold.

Somebody said before, and I concur, that this game is wonderful at illustrating how the completely insane junctions and intersections we come across in the real world came to be: a traffic engineer going "gently caress IT MAYBE THIS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM?! I DON'T CARE ANY MORE JUST WOOOORRRRRRK"

Jeoh posted:

They might as well remove passenger rail and let me build above-ground subways.

Either this or make passenger rail less infuriating to try to use. Preferably both?

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 30, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If they release an inner city street car DLC pack I would buy that

Some sort of mod that has 2-4 car trains and smaller subway-sized platforms would be fantastic. I'd be shocked if nothing comes out in the next month. Given that KSP is built on Unity and the level of detail in modding CS, I'm curious to see where this leads.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bob le Moche posted:

help is this good or bad

Is traffic flowing?
Yes?

Then it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

hailthefish posted:

I mean it's probably bad from a practical standpoint but who cares it's amazing to behold.

Somebody said before, and I concur, that this game is wonderful at illustrating how the completely insane junctions and intersections we come across in the real world came to be: a traffic engineer going "gently caress IT MAYBE THIS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM?! I DON'T CARE ANY MORE JUST WOOOORRRRRRK"

I mean, imagine playing this game except that all of your traffic decisions have to be approved by committee, any change means several months of non-functioning road at best, and needing to go through another months-long process to bulldoze any residential or commercial to free up space. Furthermore, real people don't have tweeter maps built into their brains like Cims do.

Frankly, it's a minor miracle that traffic in any given city works as well as it does.