Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

I'm going to give her power of attorney, because I'm going to be deployed and in case anything important happens I need her to make the decisions for me.

don't get fleeced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
She's got this great friend Jody, I know he'll be able to look after her while I'm gone :)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

orange juche posted:

Q: get out of navy yes/no, ive got a year left in my contract, any orders i take i will need to obliserv for. my teacher orders got cancelled, and I haven't obliserved yet, so I am at that wonderful part of career where all options are open.

I'm leaning heavily towards yes, but when would be the best time to drop that bomb on the command, because it is guaranteed that saying gently caress YOU GOT MINE is gonna piss a lot of people off, and I will get sent to a lovely TAD within a week or 2.

well you can't really criticize ol maffew here if you don't get out yourself

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

krispykremessuck posted:

well you can't really criticize ol maffew here if you don't get out yourself

It's not really a question of what do, more a question of when do.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
So when it's okay to be a lady-boy or a boy-lady in the Nav can a male say his hair identifies gender-wise as a female and thusly be permitted to grow it long?

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

maffew buildings posted:

I'm going to give her power of attorney, because I'm going to be deployed and in case anything important happens I need her to make the decisions for me.

Make sure it's a general power of attorney.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

No need to advance when you die in a training accident though

I thought this through

gently caress the dumb poo poo ruin your career in New Orleans.

Also learn how to Ocean fish in the gulf. Best part of the country for eating if you ignore the various health implications of eating from the same waters that deepwater happened in.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Dingleberry posted:

So when it's okay to be a lady-boy or a boy-lady in the Nav can a male say his hair identifies gender-wise as a female and thusly be permitted to grow it long?

Give it a year. I'm sure one will slip by in MEPS.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Dingleberry posted:

God I hope not. Then someone will try and hold me accountable for my high fade that I don't cut very often. Or make me go to the salon instead of the barber (where they look at me like I'm crazy because I have boobs) and I'll have to pay literally 3x as much for the same haircut.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Null Integer posted:

Give it a year. I'm sure one will slip by in MEPS.

Had an admitted preopp transgended whore in my boot division. He was on hormone treatment, grew boobies and was turning marine tricks (they knew) in TeXas.
Decided he wanted to see the world. Went off the treatment and shrank up. All good for MEPs.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Checking into the Navy thread after 30 days of freedom. Feels good, mang.

Got my first retirement check, and realized just how bad a deal that Survivor Benefit Plan turns out to be. I should have just purchased a large $1mil term life plan for the same amount of money.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

LingcodKilla posted:

Had an admitted preopp transgended whore in my boot division. He was on hormone treatment, grew boobies and was turning marine tricks (they knew) in TeXas.
Decided he wanted to see the world. Went off the treatment and shrank up. All good for MEPs.

drat marines, why am I not surprized, look at their wives ffs.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Dingleberry posted:

"Chief, I'm a nocturnal otherkin sloth stuck in a human body, and these watches are triggering me."

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Angry Fish posted:

Checking into the Navy thread after 30 days of freedom. Feels good, mang.

Got my first retirement check, and realized just how bad a deal that Survivor Benefit Plan turns out to be. I should have just purchased a large $1mil term life plan for the same amount of money.

So 20 years, worth it?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

So 20 years, worth it?

He got medically retired for being broke as poo poo.

Speaking of medical things, my sleep apnea test came back positive. I hear that's 50%. I'm absolutely okay with that.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

He got medically retired for being broke as poo poo.

Speaking of medical things, my sleep apnea test came back positive. I hear that's 50%. I'm absolutely okay with that.

Keep using the machine if they give you one, some people get the machine and never use it again. It logs your usage which a lot of people don't know. The mask is bulky at first but they can upgrade you after a while for a more comfortable one.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pandasmores posted:

Keep using the machine if they give you one, some people get the machine and never use it again. It logs your usage which a lot of people don't know. The mask is bulky at first but they can upgrade you after a while for a more comfortable one.

Yea I fully intend to. Years of feeling like poo poo in the morning is plenty.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 30, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Been rollercoastering with the detailer/CCs the past three weeks, not helping that my year group is 126% over-manned for my NEC, I don't qualify for conversion to another language or a DIRSUP billet, and my options were:

JSOC
Re-enlist CTI
Crossrate CTN
Blue to Green

What kills me is the JSOC programs that take 35Ps and 1N3s, but won't take a CTI. None of them know the reason for that either and were surprised when I mentioned it. Two of them were really interested in me because of my training/instructor record but weren't able to take me unless I was a CTN for what I'm good at. The Chief from TIO more or less told me to gently caress myself slowly from behind even though I'm an instructor in classes his personnel have to fly to us to take on a regular basis.

Command pushed me to go for CTN, since that's what they basically made me train into anyway sans operations, but the DoD won't pay for any of my certs like Sec+, CCNA or CEH so it's coming out of my pocket to possibly pass, I'm spending 600 this month alone on them. The CTNCM tech advisor said they aren't taking E5 crossrates from any year group but 2009 and 2008 unless I can convince him over email that I know something about cybersecurity and show him some certificates to back it up. So, he said to email once I get CCNA.

According to my CC, my options are CTM or get out (For jobs that retain use of a TS and my work experience, arguably my best asset). However, with terminal leave I'm not out until next November. I'm in my PRD window, but I'm also about to fail my last DLPT (You can fail 3 in a row) at which point I'm forced to reclass unless the CO lets me ride out my final 18 months as a CTI. They asked why I keep failing and I was like, I dunno man, I haven't used Arabic in three years and you have me doing this other thing.

I was going to re-enlist if I could go CTN, now I'm curious if I'll get sent to CTM until I'm out since it's only a 4 month school or if I'll stay where I am and gracefully fade away. My civilian chain finds it all pretty interesting since they didn't even know I was a linguist to begin with, though it does feel weird to essentially be told I'm getting fired. I wish I was an E4, the CTNs are swallowing up E4 crossrates but I had the misfortune to get promoted to the untouchable caste.

tl;dr whatever, at least I've got my post 9/11 and know contractors. I've got savings and it's not the end of the world to be pushed out.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 30, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Analogical posted:

Been rollercoastering with the detailer/CCs the past three weeks, not helping that my year group is 126% over-manned for my NEC, I don't qualify for conversion to another language or a DIRSUP billet, and my options were:

JSOC
Re-enlist CTI
Crossrate CTN
Blue to Green

What kills me is the JSOC programs that take 35Ps and 1N3s, but won't take a CTI. None of them know the reason for that either and were surprised when I mentioned it. Two of them were really interested in me because of my training/instructor record but weren't able to take me unless I was a CTN for what I'm good at. The Chief from TIO more or less told me to gently caress myself slowly from behind even though I'm an instructor in classes his personnel have to fly to us to take on a regular basis.

Command pushed me to go for CTN, since that's what they basically made me train into anyway sans operations, but the DoD won't pay for any of my certs like Sec+, CCNA or CEH so it's coming out of my pocket to possibly pass, I'm spending 600 this month alone on them. The CTNCM tech advisor said they aren't taking E5 crossrates from any year group but 2009 and 2008 unless I can convince him over email that I know something about cybersecurity and show him some certificates to back it up. So, he said to email once I get CCNA.

According to my CC, my options are CTM or get out (For jobs that retain use of a TS and my work experience, arguably my best asset). However, with terminal leave I'm not out until next November. I'm in my PRD window, but I'm also about to fail my last DLPT (You can fail 3 in a row) at which point I'm forced to reclass unless the CO lets me ride out my final 18 months as a CTI. They asked why I keep failing and I was like, I dunno man, I haven't used Arabic in three years and you have me doing this other thing.

I was going to re-enlist if I could go CTN, now I'm curious if I'll get sent to CTM until I'm out since it's only a 4 month school or if I'll stay where I am and gracefully fade away. My civilian chain finds it all pretty interesting since they didn't even know I was a linguist to begin with, though it does feel weird to essentially be told I'm getting fired. I wish I was an E4, the CTNs are swallowing up E4 crossrates but I had the misfortune to get promoted to the untouchable caste.

tl;dr whatever, at least I've got my post 9/11 and know contractors. I've got savings and it's not the end of the world to be pushed out.

Get masted? Seems to work for a lot of boots over here at Corry trying to go from e3 to e2 or even e1 undesignated. I hear its not so bad because you get to experience all of the jobs before you pick a new one!

Actually that sounds like a huge bummer and I hope it works out for you. It's kinda amazing how little some of this stuff makes sense.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Analogical posted:

JSOC
Re-enlist CTI
Crossrate CTN
Blue to Green

I've got a CTI friend who was in the same type of job position as you. Crossrated to CTN and did fantastically in the school. Having a CCNA is waaaay overkill for the A school. Run the paperwork and see what happens? Navy COOL won't pick up the certifications for CTIs?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

I've got a CTI friend who was in the same type of job position as you. Crossrated to CTN and did fantastically in the school. Having a CCNA is waaaay overkill for the A school. Run the paperwork and see what happens? Navy COOL won't pick up the certifications for CTIs?

That's not surprising. Navy COOL is in a lot of ways awful, for instance I'm an Aegis Networking Tech, my job is dealing with Red Hat and Cisco Routers. Will COOL pay for a RHSCA or a CCNA or gently caress even Net+? No, of course not, I'm an FC, I explode things. :downswords:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I'm going to grab Net+ and Sec+ next month, I know networking in and out, CCNA will require a lot of intense study outside fundamentals and universal concepts. I did think it seemed like overkill because I've seen the JCAC material and I think Net/Sec should be more than enough to show enough aptitude to pass, especially when I already know Python and C. I think I'm competing for one of ten available E5 billets. I was hoping he'd know the DoD classes I have certificates from, because one of them is a 3000 level 500-hour network analysis course, I'd have thought that'd be enough.

I'm sure in some admin-backend way that it makes sense from a big-picture view, or maybe it still doesn't. I just hope I don't go through all these certs to be told to jerk myself off because while they're beneficial to have either way, I don't need them to get a contractor job at what I do. It feels weird that contractors are like "Yeah man we got you!" and for a little more extra cash even after taxes, but I have to pay out of my own pocket to convince the Navy of the same thing.

On the bright side if I do get out, it means I can dedicate my attention to finishing my degree and if I want to I could always join the non-scholarship ROTC for reserve or nat guard and still be a weekend warrior in addition to contracting. Might sell my truck though to cut on bills while I'm in school.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Angry Fish posted:

realized just how bad a deal that Survivor Benefit Plan turns out to be. I should have just purchased a large $1mil term life plan for the same amount of money.

And when you turn it down they counsel the poo poo out of you. My husband is retiring next month and I have a year left. SBP made NO sense for us. We BOTH had to go get counseled by a PSC with less time than us and a non-working green card holding spouse. We just sat through it, said "thanks, we're good" and walked out with our signature. Stupid.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

And when you turn it down they counsel the poo poo out of you. My husband is retiring next month and I have a year left. SBP made NO sense for us. We BOTH had to go get counseled by a PSC with less time than us and a non-working green card holding spouse. We just sat through it, said "thanks, we're good" and walked out with our signature. Stupid.

I be never actually looked at it because I've never thought to I guess. Whys it terrible?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

PneumonicBook posted:

I be never actually looked at it because I've never thought to I guess. Whys it terrible?

It's a considerable amount of money lost. It's a percentage, so YMMV, but basically you're giving the Government a cut of your retirement money on the off chance that you die before your spouse. Then your spouse will get 50% of your retirement for the rest of HIS/HER life. If you retire at 40, and live until 70? Terrible deal. But the military requires that your spouse sign the form acknowledging that they understand that you are turning down SBP.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Analogical posted:

JSOC
Re-enlist CTI
Crossrate CTN
Blue to Green

I doubt sincerely they send you to a school even if you do cross rate. You won't satisfy the minimum time on station obligation to take any follow on orders. I don't think you go anywhere without an extension/re-enlistment. With that said, :frogout:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

poopkitty posted:

It's a considerable amount of money lost. It's a percentage, so YMMV, but basically you're giving the Government a cut of your retirement money on the off chance that you die before your spouse. Then your spouse will get 50% of your retirement for the rest of HIS/HER life. If you retire at 40, and live until 70? Terrible deal. But the military requires that your spouse sign the form acknowledging that they understand that you are turning down SBP.

PneumonicBook posted:

It's actually 55% of your retirement pay, which amounts to more-or-less $800 a month. You are "fully vested" after 35 years of paying 15% of your entire retirement savings for your spouse, plus another 10% per kid. Your divorced wife can still be the beneficiary of this plan unless and until you remarry. If you sign up for it, you cannot sign out of it unless two years have passed and that is your only window for signing out of this bad deal.

The only way to avoid this bullocks is to listen to the counseling session on why it is such a great deal; afterwards, you need to bring a notarized affidavit from yourself and your spouse stating that you both do not want to sign up for this money grab. You both must then sign another document in front of the PSD witness (which means your spouse needs to take time off work, as PSD isn't going to be open at reasonable hours) stating the very same thing your notary states: that you don't want them to take $100+ dollars out of your retirement savings every month on the off-chance you die.

You can use that $80 a month they withdraw to buy yourself a term life insurance policy that would pay out far more than the government ever would.

The only reason I signed up for it was because I knew that the VA compensation was greater than the permanent retirement pension, so it wouldn't matter. The VA pension would kick in +/- 60 days after my retirement date and replace the retirement pay.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I doubt sincerely they send you to a school even if you do cross rate. You won't satisfy the minimum time on station obligation to take any follow on orders. I don't think you go anywhere without an extension/re-enlistment. With that said, :frogout:

I'm really just going with the flow at this point, I still have time until PRD and 18 months on contract since I had six year. The rumor mill is that 9ARBs that are subpro will be filling spaces at DLI for French/German/etc if they're willing to re-enlist for it, I'll just keep weighing my options as they come and go.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This will be the Navy thread from here on out. No need to close and start a new one tomorrow :)

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
But we've always done monthly threads! We've always done it that way!

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Finally proof that N4I is a true Navy leader

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

But we've always done monthly threads! We've always done it that way!

It is what it is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Blue Angels are doing cool stuff.

Oh to be a majestic air sea-knight.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Blue Angels are doing cool stuff.

Oh to be a majestic air sea-knight.

Stay strong, keyboard centurion.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Analogical posted:

Stay strong, keyboard centurion.

Keyboard Centurion. I like it.

Better than printer-bitch in any case.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
At least the thread title isn't too bad.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Angry Fish posted:

(which means your spouse needs to take time off work)

I don't think this is much of a concern for most

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

krispykremessuck posted:

I don't think this is much of a concern for most

I would wager that 95% of the folks who wish to opt-out of SBP are dual-working or dual mil couples. VERY few folks with stay at home spouses will be opting out. It is MUCH harder to opt out than it should be, and it's blatant robbery. It's offensive.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

poopkitty posted:

I would wager that 95% of the folks who wish to opt-out of SBP are dual-working or dual mil couples. VERY few folks with stay at home spouses will be opting out. It is MUCH harder to opt out than it should be, and it's blatant robbery. It's offensive.

it was a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
SBP is almost as good a deal as CSB/REDUX ahahahahahahahaahah

• Locked thread