Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just learned that, back in the late 40s and early 50s, Penn State's jerseys looked exactly like the current Tennessee Titans jerseys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think Penn State should incorporate their logo more because it's rad.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Garnet helmets (can't believe these haven't come back at all since being retired, we wore them for quite a while and during some of our best years):

Diamond endzones (couldn't find a bigger pic, unfortunately, but they were gorgeous):

I can't find any photos of it in action, but I'm pretty sure we used to have helmet stickers that were spurs, similar to this logo:

I'd be totally fine with these being one-time or just occasional things. I'd love to at least see the black background in the diamond-style endzones on a regular basis, but apparently that's too harsh on our grass, so I get it.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Pakled posted:

https://twitter.com/cecilhurt/status/581817193152847873
Alabama DB Geno Smith arrested for DUI. It's his second DUI arrest, after getting suspended for one game the last time. Bama fans, is he good enough that they'll let him keep playing?

Suspended for ULM, MTSU, and Charleston Southern.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think Penn State should incorporate their logo more because it's rad.

It doesn't look that good on the side of a helmet. I liked how they added it to the collar this past season.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Suspended for ULM, MTSU, and Charleston Southern.

pack it up crimson tide, going 0-3 to start the season

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

They wore them a bunch in 2006 which was a pretty good year so I am all for it.

They only wore them once, against Bama.

They had a different white helmet abomination in 09 w Tebow.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Those Gator unis are dope. Way better than cartoon font Gators helmets.

I loooooove our current helmets. But if we switched to anything it should be the throwback.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA's Keith Marshall didn't practice on Friday due to a "hamstring injury" which could be anything from a mild strain to something crazy. All the report said was injury. Who knows. Everyone was talking about how great he looked, how fast he was, and that he was moving with no pain or limitations. I feel terrible for the guy, just can't stay healthy after that first ACL explosion against Tennessee in 2013.

In other, more hilarious, news, Bobby Petrino threw former UGA DB Shaq Wiggins out of their practice after about an hour and a half. Wiggins was in the doghouse after the end of the 2013 season because apparently he was just a poo poo to be around. He got arrested a few times for traffic violations and Pruitt was going to bury him in the depth chart. He followed Grantham to L'ville.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 29, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
@InsideTheU: Just informed that UM is not going to publish stats from the spring game per Al Golden's request

@InsideTheU: I just compiled Brad Kaaya's stats from the spring game: 14 for 28 for 139 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs

:laffo: poor Al

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Crotch Bat posted:

@InsideTheU: I just compiled Brad Kaaya's stats from the spring game: 14 for 28 for 139 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs

"Oh man, our defense is going to be amazing this year!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I thought the defense was supposed to set the first team QB throw a few bombs so that everyone could be THIS IS THE YEAR

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Alabama's having a great day. DT Jonathan Taylor was arrested for domestic violence and criminal mischief.

Will Saban shitcan him, or is he not expendable? :v:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

While reading 1930s game previews, I learned that Erskine College had a football team and their nickname was the Seceders.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

Alabama's having a great day. DT Jonathan Taylor was arrested for domestic violence and criminal mischief.

He'll be gone, he's already been in trouble before so this was his "second chance" even though it's his first year here.

He punched out a wall too. loving mental issues.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

Former Georgia recruit, character issues?

Welcome to War Eagle Nation!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm can't believe I'm saying this but... I actually believe he's poisoned the well too much even for Auburn. He's NFL or Div III only now.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He plays DT? Yeah, I'm sure we have a place for him in Gus Malzahn's School for Wayward Boys.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I think UNLV should have some throwback to this

they should also do the sticker thing and use the mudflap girl imo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RC and Moon Pie posted:

While reading 1930s game previews, I learned that Erskine College had a football team and their nickname was the Seceders.

Any pics exist of their invariably racist mascot?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Michigan had a draft for their spring game.

Early Enrollee, 4 Star QB, Alex Malzone was the #1 QB taken at #24. Shane Morris was taken at #29.

Malzone must be turning heads and has a great chance to start as a true-freshman.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
What about Rudock?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Regnevelc posted:

Nice, one for each turnover.

One for each time his offensive line should have been charged with attempted murder

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Alabama WR Cam Sims tore his ACL during practice

This loving offseason, man.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Raku posted:

I'm can't believe I'm saying this but... I actually believe he's poisoned the well too much even for Auburn. He's NFL or Div III only now.

Poured Spike 80DF on his career, Pawl.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Predictably but somewhat promptly, Taylor is already dismissed.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Regnevelc posted:

Michigan had a draft for their spring game.

Early Enrollee, 4 Star QB, Alex Malzone was the #1 QB taken at #24. Shane Morris was taken at #29.

Malzone must be turning heads and has a great chance to start as a true-freshman.

I mean. Devin Gardner was better than Morris last year and look how that turned out. Better than Shane Morris =/= Good at football. That said, I kind of hope he is competent just so we can hear all of the ESPN NFL Draft wankery over QB Whisperer Jim Harbaugh's latest project in 3-4 years. Watching them try to describe how loving good Luck was was certainly interesting.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Thoguh posted:

Any pics exist of their invariably racist mascot?

Just imagine a palette swapped Colonel Reb. And Erskine says the "name acknowledged Erskine’s relationship to the Associate “Seceder” Presbyterian Church in Scotland".

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Erskine says the "name acknowledged Erskine’s relationship to the Associate “Seceder” Presbyterian Church in Scotland".

So it was probably a guy in a powdered wig, if they even had one.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It seems like ~*~*~THE SPORTS MEDIA~*~*~ is taking a really super unfavorable line on Alabama taking in a dude who already beat his girlfriend up once, along with double dipping stipend checks. The idea that sure, letting him back into a school would be a second chance (get out of bad social situations or something), but letting him play football at the highest level on national TV with one of the best teams in the country isn't a second chance, but not caring about how the optics of a situation are and taking a win at all costs situation, or at least until it looks really bad when he beats his girlfriend up again.

E: A few of them are even saying how right Richt is on letting go of these kids in the first place. Saint Richt, indeed :smug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was looking at some of the reports following the Notre Dame scissor lift death from a few years back. ND's internal investigation concluded, basically, that it was a "pure" accident, i.e. the decisions that led to the death were made in good faith.

Everyone agrees that's bullshit, right?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

It seems like ~*~*~THE SPORTS MEDIA~*~*~ is taking a really super unfavorable line on Alabama taking in a dude who already beat his girlfriend up once, along with double dipping stipend checks. The idea that sure, letting him back into a school would be a second chance (get out of bad social situations or something), but letting him play football at the highest level on national TV with one of the best teams in the country isn't a second chance, but not caring about how the optics of a situation are and taking a win at all costs situation, or at least until it looks really bad when he beats his girlfriend up again.

E: A few of them are even saying how right Richt is on letting go of these kids in the first place. Saint Richt, indeed :smug:

There's a lot of stuff from local media people (like Scarbinsky, who has taken every chance he could to kick at Saban since Nick basically called him a dumbass during a press conference) that really pushed this narrative off the ground, I think. Of course though, Saban said when he brought Taylor in there was a no tolerance policy, and now we're finding out he meant it, so really there's not going to be that much controversy I think? Or at least, Saban will absolutely not be effected at all besides having some reporters talking poo poo/pestering him in their assigned periods where he has to deal with them. He's just going to get snappy if they bring it up again since he already had a statement on it and continue bellichicking forward.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Raku posted:

There's a lot of stuff from local media people (like Scarbinsky, who has taken every chance he could to kick at Saban since Nick basically called him a dumbass during a press conference) that really pushed this narrative off the ground, I think. Of course though, Saban said when he brought Taylor in there was a no tolerance policy, and now we're finding out he meant it, so really there's not going to be that much controversy I think? Or at least, Saban will absolutely not be effected at all besides having some reporters talking poo poo/pestering him in their assigned periods where he has to deal with them. He's just going to get snappy if they bring it up again since he already had a statement on it and continue bellichicking forward.

Well, I am fine with giving second chances, sometimes people are just dumb. On the other hand, this was a real toss up for Saban and Alabama in general. If Taylor kept his nose out of trouble, it looks great for Alabama- turning a kids life around look how great we are! Maybe they were hoping that if he did stumble, the Alabama hivemind could have swept it under the rug, who knows? Meanwhile they recruited him to make the team better (duh, otherwise they wouldn't have taken the risk). What I see other people angry about is where Saban said he had nothing to do with the kid actually being admitted to Alabama, which I think is poo poo. This is the touch the poop moment. If this was any other kid that didn't play football or a complete bench warmer that reached out to Alabama, he wouldn't have gotten in at all. So there is some AD member pushing admissions to admit a guy who shouldn't be admitted accept he can play defense. That argument I understand, but then again how many of the guys playing football would have been there if they really were treated the same as any other incoming student?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

Well, I am fine with giving second chances, sometimes people are just dumb. On the other hand, this was a real toss up for Saban and Alabama in general. If Taylor kept his nose out of trouble, it looks great for Alabama- turning a kids life around look how great we are! Maybe they were hoping that if he did stumble, the Alabama hivemind could have swept it under the rug, who knows? Meanwhile they recruited him to make the team better (duh, otherwise they wouldn't have taken the risk). What I see other people angry about is where Saban said he had nothing to do with the kid actually being admitted to Alabama, which I think is poo poo. This is the touch the poop moment. If this was any other kid that didn't play football or a complete bench warmer that reached out to Alabama, he wouldn't have gotten in at all. So there is some AD member pushing admissions to admit a guy who shouldn't be admitted accept he can play defense. That argument I understand, but then again how many of the guys playing football would have been there if they really were treated the same as any other incoming student?

I don't know what statement by Saban you're talking about, though. They talked about how he went through the admissions department, which is separate from athletics--and that's true. As for him not being there if he couldn't play football, well yeah, that's why athletic scholarships are a thing.

Edit: I think what I'm saying is that admissions is pretty much a rubber stamp if you've passed either academic standards or the athletic department wants you. Having gone through Alabama's admissions process I don't think it's super arduous, and it looks like they at least investigated him and had some people vouch for his JUCO rehab.

Raku fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 30, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I was looking at some of the reports following the Notre Dame scissor lift death from a few years back. ND's internal investigation concluded, basically, that it was a "pure" accident, i.e. the decisions that led to the death were made in good faith.

Everyone agrees that's bullshit, right?

Given that it was a scissor lift that fell over because of wind, the actual accident part isn't...questionable.

I'm assuming they're talking about the actual event, not the "person put in harm's way" part.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sash! posted:

Given that it was a scissor lift that fell over because of wind, the actual accident part isn't...questionable.

I'm assuming they're talking about the actual event, not the "person put in harm's way" part.
The Indiana OSHA report showed some negligence, hence a $75k fine, though I'm not sure if ND actually ended up paying.

ND's internal investigation, overseen by the president emeritus of Arizona :lol: concluded no negligence. That's the part I was asking about.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

The Indiana OSHA report showed some negligence, hence a $75k fine, though I'm not sure if ND actually ended up paying.

ND's internal investigation, overseen by the president emeritus of Arizona :lol: concluded no negligence. That's the part I was asking about.

I don't think anyone here is capable of evaluating whether or not there was actual negligence involved. All any of us knows is what we have read about it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think anyone here is capable of evaluating whether or not there was actual negligence involved. All any of us knows is what we have read about it.
Fair enough, but I wasn't sure if I had missed something, especially with the notion that "Notre Dame football literally killed a kid" and "Notre Dame football caused a girl to commit suicide", or maybe I'm conflating the two incidents.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Notre Dame football caused a sleazy dipshit to embarrass himself on national television with a sign

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Groucho Marxist posted:

Notre Dame football caused a sleazy dipshit to embarrass himself on national television with a sign

and then come to the GDT looking for back pats and attaboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Groucho Marxist posted:

I didn't realize Lou Holtz was sleazy.

• Locked thread