Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Oh dear G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hahah Thomas really cant stay on his bike.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
"Hey check out that tractor"

*rides into a ditch*

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Jesus he got back up to them.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Roelandts is never going to make it

E: I'm glad he didn't because these six are murdering each other

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 29, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ahahahahaha Etix with some pro strategy once again.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Luca rolling off the front for the WIIIIN. Hell yeah.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Vandenbergh was basically useless after chasing back that last time.

Fun race

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

gently caress yeah Paolini.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Early "race of the year" candidate. In the other race: gently caress Richie Porte so much.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Russian Bear posted:

gently caress yeah Paolini.

he owns

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Riis has been terminated.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkoff-saxo-and-riis-part-ways

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sounds like I missed one hell of a race today. Are there any extended highlights on youtube yet? Best I could find just now were the last 8 km and storm gust highlights.

e: lol Jack Bauer threw his bike into a drainage ditch? Pure ownage

Smirr fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 29, 2015

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Probably the most entertaining race I have seen in years. Had epic suffering, great tactics, crashes, a 30km long final, can't wish for much more.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Smirr posted:

Sounds like I missed one hell of a race today. Are there any extended highlights on youtube yet? Best I could find just now were the last 8 km and storm gust highlights.

e: lol Jack Bauer threw his bike into a drainage ditch? Pure ownage

http://www.cyclingtorrents.nl/

You can find most races there, even more if you happen to speak French/Dutch/Italian.

serious gaylord posted:

EU rules on grants or something idk. They've been at every race this year.

He's got no chance at roubaix if he keeps bailing out of the easier ones halfway through. Sky would do better to back Thomas.

Sky should just go back to Telecoms and stay out of bikes.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
So whos EQS strategy guy? Coz he better be updating his resume.

I hope that ferrari guy who got flicked for making one wrong pitstop call for Alonso doesnt watch cycling because hed be having a month long brain aneurysm.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Without Boonen to spell out the pecking order, every rider thinks he can/should win the race. No coordination.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
With Cancellara out, I will now be supporting: Paolini. What a badass.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-astana-to-lose-worldtour-licence

Astana are going to lose their world tour licence, and only be allowed to apply for a continental one. With all the big races having picked their wildcards that means Astana are out of the Giro and Tour. I imagine Nibali and Aru will jump ship loving quick.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Dutch media are reporting the UCI has revoked astana's world tour license.
E; beaten

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Why would they be allowed a Continental one if they are all full of EPO?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They are only allowed to apply for a continental, theres nothing to say it would be granted.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Yeah, saw that, but I still don't understand why they can apply. Are the doping rules for Continental teams different from the WorldTour?

Still, funny as gently caress, but I'm pretty sure this saga won't be over in a good while.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Pocket posted:

Basically "A BLOO BLOO BLOOO, WE ONLY RECEIVE 38% THE EU'S BUDGET AND OUT A WHOPPING 3% OF THE ZONE'S GDP"

Farmers are the world's biggest whingers/bludgers.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rojkir posted:

Probably the most entertaining race I have seen in years. Had epic suffering, great tactics, crashes, a 30km long final, can't wish for much more.

Yeah it was a proper classic, I think having the big names out helped.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My favourite bit was Thomas riding along normally on a straight road then 2 seconds later being upside down in the grass because of the wind.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Xabi posted:

Why would they be allowed a Continental one if they are all full of EPO?

The irony here is that with a continental license they will be subject to a far less stringent testing process by the UCI.

Here's my prediction: Bjarne Riis does what he always does and gets some Danish businessmen to pony up money for him to run another team. He picks up the World Tour license vacated by Astana, and as many riders from that squad as are able to break their contracts. Vincenzo Nibali rides the Tour de France for Team Bjarne's Eagles.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gent was amazing

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Is that Boasson behind there? Apparently he fell over and hit some sort of pole, successfully breaking his collarbone. Didn't see it on the telly but it looks like it could be it.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Peloton Magazine have picked a strange but good bunch for the Ronde:

Stannard
Stybar
Degenkolb
Jelle
Thomas
Paolini
Kristoff

No van Avermaet, no Vanmarke

Should be good, "hardest. course. evar"

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Anyone know of a reliable(ie. not completely ad riddled. laggy etc) stream to watch the Ronde on Sunday for someone in the US?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Paddyb posted:

No van Avermaet, no Vanmarke
Sounds about right.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

clean ayers act posted:

Anyone know of a reliable(ie. not completely ad riddled. laggy etc) stream to watch the Ronde on Sunday for someone in the US?

https://www.cyclingfans.com will have a billion streams to watch.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The cycling streams have been bad lately. Procyclinglive.com is good sometimes, but I always forget to check them.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Xabi posted:

Sounds about right.

They're both top five, "close but no cigar" types aren't they?

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
They are. Both are not bad at sprinting and have already had some good wins (well, 1 for Van Marcke) too, but it seems like there's always someone just a bit stronger and/or smarter. And Roelandts is always strong but he's just too unlucky. But when you win De Ronde, you're a god in Flanders. Or, if you're Stybar, we'll pretend you were Flemish all along.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They always seem to either miss the big move due to misfortune (Vanmarcke for instance was an absolute beast at Oomloop but flatted twice at the worst possible time so missed the Etix break then pretty much singlehandedly chased 3 riders for 30km) Or they're marked so intensely they can never get away.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

serious gaylord posted:

They always seem to either miss the big move due to misfortune (Vanmarcke for instance was an absolute beast at Oomloop but flatted twice at the worst possible time so missed the Etix break then pretty much singlehandedly chased 3 riders for 30km) Or they're marked so intensely they can never get away.

Vanmarcke also missed the front group at Strade Bianche by about 5 seconds and proceeded to hang in, alone, behind them keeping a constant ~15 second gap for like 20km. He's absolute beast but I don't know that he's got the savvy to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Anybody know how Gilbert is looking this year?