Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I mean, I think technically speaking the timeline specifies that the events happened in modern day or the near future, and by the time you're playing it's well into the future after several generations in vaults, BUT it still fits the bill because of how culture seemingly froze in the 60s in the fallout world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Excels posted:

in that situation what are you presuming wiped us out?

a medieval zombie apocalypse would spread crazy fast and probably look just like a modern one except with armor
nukes are out, so you'd need a world-ending comet (which would just wipe everyone out instantly)

I could see a Renaissance alchemist discovering nuclear fission way too early. But a giant asteroid is always an option.

Really I'd just like to see something with that setting that isn't laser guns and landscapes full of crumbling highway bridges. Fusing it with medieval fantasy/magic might be cool too. Irradiated dragons and such. :getin:

I'll check out Age of Decadence.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't think that's fair really. Have you played it recently? It's classic-style, sure, but it has a lot of quality of life improvements like warping you to/from quest locations instead of making you run backwards and forwards across town five times per quest.

Unless you really just hate turn-based combat I guess.

I'll back off on that a bit, I haven't played it in a while (I checked out the demo a while back) and while I don't hate turn-based combat I'm still a little wary about what I've heard about the design. And if a totally old-school RPG sounds like your thing the setting sounds really neat.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Funkmaster General posted:

I mean, I think technically speaking the timeline specifies that the events happened in modern day or the near future, and by the time you're playing it's well into the future after several generations in vaults, BUT it still fits the bill because of how culture seemingly froze in the 60s in the fallout world.

it's not in our past, it's in a present/near future where technology evolved differently (more along the lines of what we expected the future to look like in the 50s)

what the dude was asking about was, like, a post-apocalyptic work set during the French Revolution or Middle Ages or sth

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It literally does though

edit: Alright if the word 'our' was the one you were loling about then I will give you that because it's alternate timeline shenanigans, it doesn't fit what that guy was asking either way

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Games Chat and No Mutants Allowed Fallout Timeline Discussion

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
the middle section of the Venn diagram is autism

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Were the 1950s really like Fallout? If so: why aren't there robots anymore?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Were the 1950s really like Fallout?

Yes they were, I've seen many zine articles on the subject

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is there a thread in Games about RPG maker so that I can pester said thread's denizens with annoying questions? I've been messing around with tutorials and coming up against an occasional wall, and I want to see if I can get past some of those walls/what the differences are between the free version and pay-for version before I drop the pretty hefty price they are asking for it.

It seems like a thing that could be fun for killing a lot of time if I can get past my frustration with it, which is going to depend on the learning curve and how easy it is to ask a quick question to some community and get a quick answer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Is there a thread in Games about RPG maker so that I can pester said thread's denizens with annoying questions? I've been messing around with tutorials and coming up against an occasional wall, and I want to see if I can get past some of those walls/what the differences are between the free version and pay-for version before I drop the pretty hefty price they are asking for it.

It seems like a thing that could be fun for killing a lot of time if I can get past my frustration with it, which is going to depend on the learning curve and how easy it is to ask a quick question to some community and get a quick answer.
Maybe give this thread a try.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks, FactsAr- HEYYYYYY WAIT A MINUTE

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
There was a goon game design thread in I think CC a few months back but I can't seem to find it from a quick scan of threads I've seen posts in, but maybe check there anyway?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

CJacobs posted:

It literally does though

edit: Alright if the word 'our' was the one you were loling about then I will give you that because it's alternate timeline shenanigans, it doesn't fit what that guy was asking either way
lmbo

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

why do people in games not play games?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Great Joe posted:

scholars still aren't sure, but with more funding the research could be completed as early as 2020!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Games really cut into my posting time.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

it's not in our past, it's in a present/near future where technology evolved differently (more along the lines of what we expected the future to look like in the 50s)

what the dude was asking about was, like, a post-apocalyptic work set during the French Revolution or Middle Ages or sth

Literally all of this was what I said, including the part where it probably isn't what he was actually looking for.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Literally all of this was what I said, including the part where it probably isn't what he was actually looking for.

"i want a specific thing can anyone help"

"i can't help but here is a game which isn't what you're asking for"

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Stux posted:

"i want a specific thing can anyone help"

"i can't help but here is a game which isn't what you're asking for"

shut up stux

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Great Joe posted:

the playing of games will be left to our gay children. we have battles to fight. the dark and bloody battles of gamer gate, an d the loving wrong ram on the x box bone, today.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

So that Valkyria poo poo was good until the (first?) Maximillian/Selvaria battle. I was loving enjoying this poo poo too. Is the rest of it bullshit as well?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jon Do posted:

So that Valkyria poo poo was good until the (first?) Maximillian/Selvaria battle. I was loving enjoying this poo poo too. Is the rest of it bullshit as well?

Are you crying because the game threw a tough fight at you after giving simple ones? If I remember correctly, the first valkyria game gives you a bunch of small missions to teach you different poo poo. Use all your knowledge my son.
Also, make longshots with lancers because they're baller and it will make you jump in the air.

I love it when games with "tactical" in their game description do that, give you a bunch of easy missions to teach you things before making you use it all. V rare though. Western devs tend to infodump at the begining in poorly constructed tutorials and eastern devs tend to just drop you in with basic tutorials that don't cover the important bits.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Well, I wouldn't say it was so much losing the mission after quite a long fight -- I have played a video before. To be fair, I have calmed down. It was bad, though. I had to rush in on a gamble that taking out the final radiator would end the fight.

I dunno. I was loving it, and true, it wasn't very hard up to then. But then it felt less like it was difficult because I needed to outsmart it withinin the game logic. I couldn't hurt the bosses at all, while they had devastating attacks at their disposal with massive CP. Discourages me from picking it back up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

How Rude posted:

shut up stux

not going to happen and posting telling me to not post will only increase the volume of my posting as I spend time replying in overly long winded replies such as this one

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

you literally didn't

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

not figuratively, either

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jon Do posted:

Well, I wouldn't say it was so much losing the mission after quite a long fight -- I have played a video before. To be fair, I have calmed down. It was bad, though. I had to rush in on a gamble that taking out the final radiator would end the fight.

I dunno. I was loving it, and true, it wasn't very hard up to then. But then it felt less like it was difficult because I needed to outsmart it withinin the game logic. I couldn't hurt the bosses at all, while they had devastating attacks at their disposal with massive CP. Discourages me from picking it back up.

I kind of liked it because of that. The game didn't feel challenging till that point. And even when it's advised you to not engage enemies you could still kill them. A boss that's actually scary is good for games imo. Trust me when I say it's never that bad again though. You get more tools, levels, and plot power. There's a couple more gimmick fights I believe, but none that bad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't think that's fair really. Have you played it recently? It's classic-style, sure, but it has a lot of quality of life improvements like warping you to/from quest locations instead of making you run backwards and forwards across town five times per quest.

Unless you really just hate turn-based combat I guess.

What about a rapture apocalypse game. Kick satan in the balls.

Edit: I tried to respond to a post from several pages back and I quoted the wrong post entirely. Here is my shame, immortalized in the Games forum.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

suck my balls i'm illiterate :smug:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

destructoid is a bad website

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

sticklefifer posted:

Is there any sort of alternate history game that sets a post-apocalyptic world in our past? It seems like all apocalyptic games I've ever seen are set in our own future, or a distant high-tech future. I'd like to see something like a medieval apocalypse, or even like if it happened in the 1800s.

Diablo 2

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Great Joe posted:

you're thinking of lp

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Someone asked a question about symphonies and my reply has somehow turned the Zelda thread into an argument about proper attire.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Great Joe posted:

because nobody has donated to my patreon

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FF15 looks like shiiiiiiit. Why are people acting like this is gonna be "the good one"?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Were you born in the last 5 years? I assume this is your first Final Fantasy if you're not aware that every FF since 6 has been poo poo and also been hailed as the one that would save the franchise

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

FF15 looks like shiiiiiiit. Why are people acting like this is gonna be "the good one"?

because of FFXIII, FFXIII-II, and FFXIII-III

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The bros on a road trip thing looks pretty cool though, but I bet that's going to end up falling apart about 3 hours in and it will just be your typical dumb FF bullshit

• Locked thread