Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hey, is it true I'll learn to drive military vehicles and that'll apply towards a civilian license? That would be pretty sweet if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Only air brakes. Everything else is useless from ML down.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, I don't have a license at all right now, so if I can take a course for a few weeks and bypass years of flopping around with various grades of learners permits, that would be awesome. That's how it was represented to me, anyway.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Nothing terrifies someone on the driver wheel course more than someone who hasn't learned to drive a normal car yet.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frosted Flake posted:

Please tell me life gets better after PLQ.

Not really. Just different.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Btw you need at least a G1 learners permit before starting any sort of driver training for the forces. Your 404's do NOT translate into a civvy license.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I had a G1 and had never driven when I joined.

I ended up with Driver Wheel, Dangerous Goods, Airbrakes, MSVS and Gun Tow and probably some more I forgot.

Still not sure if I can drive a Honda.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ditto for me, I was a bad driver when I started. Ended up with basically everything up to air brakes (the only useful one among them go figure) and was one of the last people qualified on the Iltis.

Ask me how to jump one with a bic pen :getin:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

Ditto for me, I was a bad driver when I started. Ended up with basically everything up to air brakes (the only useful one among them go figure) and was one of the last people qualified on the Iltis.

Ask me how to jump one with a bic pen :getin:

Is it the same way as the g-wagen? Also did they change the learners rule? I know a guy who has a couple vehicles on his 404s without a civie license.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

They wouldn't let me qualify on the Iltis cause I'd never driven stick before, so I did the test in a Tahoe or something. Nearly failed it too cause I didn't do a shoulder check like Linda Blair.

You most definitely can get a 404 without a civi license, and use it to drive a military vehicle on a highway where the laws would normally require one.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah I didn't need a full license but was able to get 404s on my learner's permit no problem

If that's changed recently holy lol because I don't think they taught traffic rules during the course

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They sure didn't.

I was driving an 8 tonne truck with a howitzer when I learned you can't turn right on reds in Quebec.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
When I did my 404s in Dundurn (lol) they gave us all copies of the SGI driver training handbook, so maybe it's on the course staff

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Air Brakes doesn't carry over. Ask my bank account how I know that.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 7, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I feel like I'm done with combat arms, but I'd like to do a few more years. My OT to AESOP is on backburner because the helos have been delayed so as I understand it the training pipeline has slowed.

Are there any good rear echelon trades where I can learn a skill and maybe have something to show for my time in?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I hate all headquarters personnel. Just a bunch of useless, meddling, no good pieces of poo poo.

If you work in a headquarters, it's because you fail at your actual job and need to tell others how to do theirs.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hizawk posted:

I hate all headquarters personnel. Just a bunch of useless, meddling, no good pieces of poo poo.

If you work in a headquarters, it's because you fail at your actual job and need to tell others how to do theirs.

show us on the doll where the mean man yelled at you

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 8, 2015

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hizawk posted:

B-b-but progression!!

E: alt text - my best bet is to change it from the inside.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Say, uh... How's the reserves for a part-time job doing income supplementation for a full-time job in another field? Any demand for university-educated people? Or is joining the reserves to make more money/fill empty time such a crazy concept that I'd receive an immediate medical disqualification just for thinking about it, all reverse catch-22 like?

E: I just read the last several pages of this thread. On second thought, let us not go to the reserves. 'Tis a silly place.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 8, 2015

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

David Corbett posted:

E: I just read the last several pages of this thread. On second thought, let us not go to the reserves. 'Tis a silly place.

Probably the best possible solution at this point in time. I was actually thinking about going back in myself but with the current state of the reserves? gently caress no.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So whats the current state of the reserves? I've never cared to learn about untermensch reservists.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

So whats the current state of the reserves? I've never cared to learn about untermensch reservists.

30% cut to ammo and rats for training in 2015 as a starter.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

30% cut to ammo and rats for training in 2015 as a starter.

:stare:

Oh good. We're back to the days of screaming BANG BANG in lieu of ammo.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

But we've got Poutine MRE's now!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

:stare:

Oh good. We're back to the days of screaming BANG BANG in lieu of ammo.

Pretty much! Not to mention vehicles being grabbed from res units in favour of the training centres / reg force units / anyone else - so there'll be plenty of VROOM VROOM for everyone.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

David Corbett posted:

Say, uh... How's the reserves for a part-time job doing income supplementation for a full-time job in another field? Any demand for university-educated people? Or is joining the reserves to make more money/fill empty time such a crazy concept that I'd receive an immediate medical disqualification just for thinking about it, all reverse catch-22 like?

I think it depends on what your trade is. If you want to go into combat arms now might be a sucky time to join. If there are other jobs you are interested in now is as good a time as any.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Canuck-Errant posted:

Pretty much! Not to mention vehicles being grabbed from res units in favour of the training centres / reg force units / anyone else - so there'll be plenty of VROOM VROOM for everyone.

sick, for arty the nco's will ride on the trails whilst all the ncms are hooked up like a dog sled team to the gun.

Vadoc posted:

But we've got Poutine MRE's now!

Are they any good? They just got MREs with tortillas and ravioli when I was leaving.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

sick, for arty the nco's will ride on the trails whilst all the ncms are hooked up like a dog sled team to the gun.

awww that's cute you think arty will still have howitzers!

nope they'll be hauling mortars into the field and yelling "SHOOMP" instead.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MA-Horus posted:

BANG BANG

Needs something for the fourth beat.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

poo poo PUMP

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Are they any good? They just got MREs with tortillas and ravioli when I was leaving.

I don't know, I just heard about it on the radio a few days ago.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Needs something for the fourth beat.

I dunno, what does the .50 say?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

awww that's cute you think arty will still have howitzers!

nope they'll be hauling mortars into the field and yelling "SHOOMP" instead.

Well reg-force took all the LSVW CPs, the guns are almost all broken, the vehicle fleet is shrinking every day, and now there are problems with the mortars too.

"SHOOMP" might be an improvement.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

What the hell is wrong with the mortars? I knew about the C3s and have doubts on the LG1s but those mortars should only be a few years old!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

What the hell is wrong with the mortars? I knew about the C3s and have doubts on the LG1s but those mortars should only be a few years old!

The only time we ever had issues with the LG1 was when a master bomber who was made #1 for that ex wanted to be the first out of action and broke it somehow, I forget exactly how because it was like 5 years ago or something.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody know of any scholarships for former CF members? All the ones I see, except for Saskatchewan's, are for family members and not the actual person who did the time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

Mostly just wear on some of the parts, especially bipods. Compared to the C3 its small potatoes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are there any intelligence or signals officers here? I'm guessing the IO's can't talk about it but I'm wondering about the skill set a signals officer would acquire and how it might apply to private infosec work later in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Former int op here. There isn't a whole lot of transfer to private industry. Some police services have CrimInt civilian employees but we're maybe talking a few hundred jobs throughout the entire country.

If you have a financial background you might be able to swing a business intel job.