Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

hailthefish posted:

Somebody said before, and I concur, that this game is wonderful at illustrating how the completely insane junctions and intersections we come across in the real world came to be: a traffic engineer going "gently caress IT MAYBE THIS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM?! I DON'T CARE ANY MORE JUST WOOOORRRRRRK"

"This is stupid, let's just throw some more onramps at the problem!"

I really wish that I had some sort of planning tool, as drawing out huge roads as a way to sketch new neighborhoods is a really good way to destroy your treasury. "Why am I in the red all of a sudden? Oh yeah, I drew that major road across a tile and back, then threw in sewers and power. But no zoning..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jet Jaguar posted:

"This is stupid, let's just throw some more onramps at the problem!"

I really wish that I had some sort of planning tool, as drawing out huge roads as a way to sketch new neighborhoods is a really good way to destroy your treasury. "Why am I in the red all of a sudden? Oh yeah, I drew that major road across a tile and back, then threw in sewers and power. But no zoning..."

I think there's a mod that adds a road type that costs no money, but has no car capacity, so you can can map out where you want your stuff to go.

Just upgrade the roads to what you want after you've laid them out and you're golden.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413687519

Never tried it myself but I think it's how it works.

Edit: fixed the link

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Trick Question posted:

I mean, imagine playing this game except that all of your traffic decisions have to be approved by committee, any change means several months of non-functioning road at best, and needing to go through another months-long process to bulldoze any residential or commercial to free up space. Furthermore, real people don't have tweeter maps built into their brains like Cims do.

Frankly, it's a minor miracle that traffic in any given city works as well as it does.

We also don't have to worry about out decisions being shot down by NIMBY residents or the local politicians blocking attempts to rework an interchange because it'd involve bulldozing a building that happens to contain their favorite brothel.

The Ask me about being a Traffic Engineer! thread in A/T has some amazing stuff in it.

But as an example of canceled freeways, here is San Francisco:

I always wondered why the Golden Gate wasn't more conveniently connected to the freeways. And look, there was even supposed to be another bridge across the bay!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Jeoh posted:

They might as well remove passenger rail and let me build above-ground subways.

There are plenty of real-world metro systems that travel on both underground and elevated tracks. Not sure why this game is so insistent on segregating them. It would make more sense to have a metro system and a separate light rail system that you could build on existing streets. And then keep the cargo rail as its own system.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hailthefish posted:

and the roads with decorations on the side (i.e. not the 4 lane road, but the 2 and 6 lane roads) don't have on-street parking.

Wait, really? I need to go de-upgrade a bunch.

BobTheJanitor posted:

There are plenty of real-world metro systems that travel on both underground and elevated tracks.

And ground level. Simcity 4 only allowing transition from subway to elevated rail confused the poo poo out of me. And wouldn't let my build my home city.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

There are plenty of real-world metro systems that travel on both underground and elevated tracks. Not sure why this game is so insistent on segregating them. It would make more sense to have a metro system and a separate light rail system that you could build on existing streets. And then keep the cargo rail as its own system.

Cities in Motion 2 has this. I think they refrained because tunneling wasn't ready yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I'm confident that we'll at least get that eventually.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BobTheJanitor posted:

The DART rail here in Dallas has about 94 miles of aboveground tracks, and 2.2 miles of subway (with just one subway station, CitiPlace on the Red/Blue line, although they made plans for a second). Our light rail system is still in it's infancy though, all of the DART lines go through the same piece of track in downtown, so when a semi trailer misjudges a turn going across the tracks and takes out a telephone pole, blocking both lanes of light rail traffic, everyone in three counties suffers while things get sorted out. Last year the hotel under remodeling caught on fire, also next to the DART tracks. All DART activity ceased for about three hours while the fire engines with the big ladders were parked on the tracks near Akard Station.

They want to build a subway line through the south half of the core downtown area to relieve some of the street traffic, but there's a powerful family (the Dealy's, google "JFK Dealy Plaza" want them to route the second line above ground through a huge tract of land they want to redevelop on the south side of I-30 that currently divides the Rich from the poors.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, that map is a lot simpler than some of the other messes I tried looking at. Then again perhaps looking at maps of NY and London's subway systems (Two of the most complex/largest AFAIK) for inspiration was a bad idea. :downs:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wow, that map is a lot simpler than some of the other messes I tried looking at. Then again perhaps looking at maps of NY and London's subway systems (Two of the most complex/largest AFAIK) for inspiration was a bad idea. :downs:

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

If your combined metro and rail systems don't like this, then you're not trying hard enough. :colbert:

edit: it seems I was not the only one to think of this

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dallas is somewhat unique, all of our rail is repurposed freight rail. In the 1910s-1920s it was the freight terminal of the southern midwest, last stop for civilization before a thousand miles of desert to San Fransisco/LA etc etc, there was a train arriving every 45 seconds, and the city had the same rate of growth as Chicago up until about WW1 when it began to taper off. Dallas also still has a freight subway under a good portion of downtown, it's all been walled off though.

There's only one freight line that still goes through Dallas, everything else has been repurposed as light rail or jogging/bicycling paths (google Katy Trail rails to trails project).

Also, none of DFW existed when those freight lines were put in 100 years ago. That graphic isn't really to scale either, downtown to Mockingbird Station is about 2.2 miles, downtown to parker road station at the end of the line is about 18 miles. It takes about 20-30 minutes by bicycle to travel between stations after a certain point, Dallas north of Loop 12 is in on way "walkable" whatsoever, it's all commuter rail from there north.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, outside of Asia, yeah. I totally forgot about Tokyo, I guess I was thinking "Subway" more than "passenger rail be it above or below ground".

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

An accurate representation of my interchanges, too.

This is my town. Dashed lines is actual railway. The railway line on the left will be a subway line in the near future. Line E actually leads to a different city and is connected to another light rail line at Leidschenveen.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

hailthefish posted:

Cities in Motion 2 has this. I think they refrained because tunneling wasn't ready yet.

Yeah. I believe its been said to come in a patch soon? I'm more referring to tunnels.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

suztan posted:

If your combined metro and rail systems don't like this, then you're not trying hard enough. :colbert:

edit: it seems I was not the only one to think of this

Looking at this makes me very angry. I don't know why.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Tokyo looks a bit tidier using those British-style representational maps at least. I think they're mostly using those in Tokyo itself as well now.

Whereas when I was there in 2009 they were still using all maps like this:

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Has anybody tried the Services Optimization Module mod? It's description makes it sound amazing:

quote:

- Hearses are MUCH MORE effective! They pick up corpses similarly to how a real driver would AND at a range a real dispatcher would send them. On the other hand, the drivers are not robots: if they are told not to assist a certain building that's right on their way, they MIGHT pick up the corpses from that building anyway. Also, if your city is overflooding with corpses, the drivers might get distracted when carrying out the dispatchers' orders.

- Garbage trucks are actively seeking out target areas BEFORE they become a problem, like in real life. These guys are dedicated: they will do everything they can to clean up your streets. But that doesn't mean you can be reckless when placing garbage facilities. Be reasonable with your facility placements, and the drivers and dispatchers will do the rest. Be reckless about it, you might just find your drivers take off on joy rides in protest.

- As long as there's a problem, the related service does not allow their employees to sit idle. For example, if your city is being overrun by trash, landfills will keep on sending out garbage trucks until either the problem is addressed or they don't have any more trucks to send.

But I also see a ton of complaints about it tanking your FPS. The modder also aimed for :airquote: realism :airquote: by making the improved driver AI deliberately fail in random small ways.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Aaaand you had me until that. loving modders, why can't you just give me what I want without allowing your poor taste and judgement to taint it!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Curvature of Earth posted:

Has anybody tried the Services Optimization Module mod? It's description makes it sound amazing:

But I also see a ton of complaints about it tanking your FPS. They've also aimed for :airquote: realism :airquote: by making the improved driver AI deliberately fail in random small ways.

I tried it once and it had a bug where my hearse would go to pick up a dead person but instead of picking them up, it would despawn. So then another hearse came to pick up the same dead person, only to despawn too. This went on and on and the person did not get picked up. If I reloaded my city it would fix this bug, but eventually the bug would creep up again and if I didn't watch my hearses like a hawk they would go to poo poo. Haven't tried it in a few days, though.

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
This game is so addictive, holy poo poo. Don't play this if you think more than 4 hours of sleep a night is an option for a few weeks.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Already up to 100+ hours in three weeks. Which is close to half what I put into CiM2 in 2 years.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I am having way too much fun thinking about traffic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm at 77 hours, but a good chunk of that has probably been spent paused and semi-AFK.

Nition posted:

Tokyo looks a bit tidier using those British-style representational maps at least.

Given I've become oddly curious about these subway maps, I looked this up and apparently most sbuway/metro maps today are largely descended from the style of this 1933 London Underground Map.

Kinda neat.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
I've tried copying the metro lines I'm familiar with...

:effort:

(More seriously, I haven't yet had cities grow large enough in such a way to support more than a second metro line)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My city's metro isn't too terrible.

Well, the new metro isn't too terrible. The original one was a mess.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a ton of info out there on subway line maps, etc, it is it's own art form if you want to dig in to it. Some people use it as a form of data visualization. A lot of map blogs use subway maps for rainy day posts. I'm sure if you Google "middle earth metro map" someone has drawn one up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I actually really nerded out yesterday and made my own map. :v:

I should've named it the Firston Authority of Rapid Transit.

Also a quick google search shows multiple middle earth-themed maps!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Starting a new city when in get home tonight. Anyone have any cool map suggestions? Last time I looked was about a week ago.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone playing this game on old school (5+ year old) hardware? All I have at the moment is my old laptop for the next month(ish) until I get a new machine.

Specs are:
OG Core i7 ( Nehalem/Clarksfield 720QM, 4C/8T)
8 gigs of ram
and worst of all, a woefully inadequate GT240m (GT216 core with 1GB of GDDR3 vram).

I'd like to play at 1366X768 if possible.

edit: I think my GPU only supports DirectX 10.1 which might not cut it for this game.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 30, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hadlock posted:

The DART rail here in Dallas has about 94 miles of aboveground tracks, and 2.2 miles of subway (with just one subway station, CitiPlace on the Red/Blue line, although they made plans for a second). Our light rail system is still in it's infancy though, all of the DART lines go through the same piece of track in downtown, so when a semi trailer misjudges a turn going across the tracks and takes out a telephone pole, blocking both lanes of light rail traffic, everyone in three counties suffers while things get sorted out. Last year the hotel under remodeling caught on fire, also next to the DART tracks. All DART activity ceased for about three hours while the fire engines with the big ladders were parked on the tracks near Akard Station.

They want to build a subway line through the south half of the core downtown area to relieve some of the street traffic, but there's a powerful family (the Dealy's, google "JFK Dealy Plaza" want them to route the second line above ground through a huge tract of land they want to redevelop on the south side of I-30 that currently divides the Rich from the poors.

Melbourne is set up similarly. The loop in the centre of the city under the CBD is subway, whilst the branches are above-ground. (God I wish the state government hadn't sold off the Outer Loop in the 60s)

Of course, that's just trains. We also have the world's biggest tram network (250 km of tracks, 1,763 stops). Practically none of it is this fancy-shmancy offroad 'light rail' bullshit, though. Go pure down the middle of the road or go home!

Attempts to combine and compress the two maps can get confusing, and this isn't even including the bus network:

As someone who lives in a city with trams, it'd be hilarious if they add on-road trams to the game and have your cars doing Hook Turns.

EDIT: oo, this is an interesting map. Departures per week (bus, train AND tram)

We have an amazing public transport system that would be lovely if the state government weren't running it into the ground. :(

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 30, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also a quick google search shows multiple middle earth-themed maps!
Sweet. I can finally set up forestry in Fangorn, draw a mero through Moria and fill Mordor with offices.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Feka posted:

This game is so addictive, holy poo poo. Don't play this if you think more than 4 hours of sleep a night is an option for a few weeks.

Only Pillars of Eternity's been able to tear me away from it and even then I'm still thinking about playing some Skylines. It's taken over as my chief "game to play while watching a stream" game, since the pace is so chill.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
What are some of the recommended streamers/youtubers for Skyline? I've really loved watching Skye Stormes stuff but was looking for more ideas.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Asciana posted:

What are some of the recommended streamers/youtubers for Skyline? I've really loved watching Skye Stormes stuff but was looking for more ideas.

Strictoaster and Zhatt became streamers with sim city 5, playing together quite a bit and giving each other building challenges, creating new cities and making a series with it, trying to set goals for each episode.

Not that skylines is out they have both done a few videos, Zhatt has far more gameplay out there, while Strictoaster does higher quality videos with better productions, but less of them overall. Although so far he has only put out two tutorial/guide videos for roads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_g1LZcBdm0

Here is a 2 hour video from one of Zhatts streams (I've seen about 20 minutes of it, seems nice) while talking to Strictoaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4JzsnirjbE

MikeJF posted:

Melbourne is set up similarly. The loop in the centre of the city under the CBD is subway, whilst the branches are above-ground. (God I wish the state government hadn't sold off the Outer Loop in the 60s)

Of course, that's just trains. We also have the world's biggest tram network (250 km of tracks, 1,763 stops). Practically none of it is this fancy-shmancy offroad 'light rail' bullshit, though. Go pure down the middle of the road or go home!

Attempts to combine and compress the two maps can get confusing, and this isn't even including the bus network:

As someone who lives in a city with trams, it'd be hilarious if they add on-road trams to the game and have your cars doing Hook Turns.

EDIT: oo, this is an interesting map. Departures per week (bus, train AND tram)

We have an amazing public transport system that would be lovely if the state government weren't running it into the ground. :(
RIP inner and outer circle lines. They'd be great now (well, make the inner circle a tramroute but still.

I really want trams ingame with inroad trams, tramways (no cars in those lanes) and lightrail sections of track.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

Anyone playing this game on old school (5+ year old) hardware? All I have at the moment is my old laptop for the next month(ish) until I get a new machine.

Specs are:
OG Core i7 ( Nehalem/Clarksfield 720QM, 4C/8T)
8 gigs of ram
and worst of all, a woefully inadequate GT240m (GT216 core with 1GB of GDDR3 vram).

I'd like to play at 1366X768 if possible.

edit: I think my GPU only supports DirectX 10.1 which might not cut it for this game.

You'll do just fine.

I'm playing on a Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8 GB, Geforce 660Ti, at 1680x1050. The simulation does begin slowing down when I get above 50k pop or so, but the simulation and rendering is decoupled so slow simulation doesn't result in UI lag.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love the Isometric mod, it's like I'm playing a new version of the old SimCitys.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Is there a mod tool that lets you add water sources in game yet - excluding the tsunami one which doesn't add permanent sources, of course.

I ask because playing some of these custom maps and noticing that lakes and rivers are dying out because no proper water source was added hours into a game is frustrating.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Subway map chat: I just found this little tool for making your own subway maps. http://beno.org.uk/metromapcreator/

A little wonky but another way for this game to suck up some more of your time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
What's the deal with on-street parking? What value does it provide? What happens if I use only decorated streets so there is no on-street parking? Will buildings spawn with more parking lots? Will I see parking garages? Does it create traffic flow problems as people drive around looking for places to park?

Basically it seems like the game is trying to set up this tradeoff with parking vs. decoration, but it gives you no useful information about the consequences of taking one choice over the other and no alternate tools for providing parking (e.g. municipal parking garages).