Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Tiggum posted:

OK, what's salad cream?

It's basically mayonnaise if you're from the U.S. As a general rule, you can substitute mayo for salad cream, and most people can't tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You should really get a safe. Not for the laptop, mind you, you just get mad amounts of pussy if chicks spy what could well be a fortune hidden behind a rusty old piece of poo poo.

Incidentally, that's how I get laid. Not for the safe, mind you, I just get mad amounts of pussy because chicks spy what could well be a fortune hidden behind a rusty old piece of poo poo. Which hurts, because my mother said I was a very handsome boy.

So get a safe that looks like me, then fill it with money. Sell your laptop for that.

Why do you have a gaming laptop again?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oddly enough my household has no windex (moved in with my brother recently). I'll go buy some and try it out, thanks!

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Can any of you remember the film that featured here years ago about a killer robot (called Cathedral face or something) that went around killing young girls?

What was it called?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Turtlicious posted:

Where's a reputable place to find programmers for hire? Also, when hiring for a job like that what's the standard pay?

This is a little vague, because depending on the job, you might need a different kind of programmer. What are you trying to make? A game? A website? A robot? A database? An OS from scratch? An app?

What you want to do will determine what kind of programmer you have to hire and how much it's going to cost you.

bad-yeti posted:

Can any of you remember the film that featured here years ago about a killer robot (called Cathedral face or something) that went around killing young girls?

What was it called?

You'll probably have better luck here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have my own office at work. I currently just have my desk. I'd like to add a table for when I'm working on other machines (I'm in IT) and a shelf for storage. Is this something I should ask my boss for if they have spare office furniture or should I just get the pieces myself?
Should I go with the second option, they are able to be written off, correct?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

I have my own office at work. I currently just have my desk. I'd like to add a table for when I'm working on other machines (I'm in IT) and a shelf for storage. Is this something I should ask my boss for if they have spare office furniture or should I just get the pieces myself?
Should I go with the second option, they are able to be written off, correct?

Your employer ought to provide you the tools you need to do the job. That's your first course.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CzarChasm posted:

This is a little vague, because depending on the job, you might need a different kind of programmer. What are you trying to make? A game? A website? A robot? A database? An OS from scratch? An app?

Piecemeal game design in C++, in an engine that was developed by a community.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Piecemeal game design in C++, in an engine that was developed by a community.

You might be able to try this for a start
https://www.elance.com/c-programmers-jobs/956

I can't speak to how good a resource this is, but you could post your job here and see who bites. I'd also google around for Freelance C++ Programmer rates. It's all going to vary by scope. Chances are though that you are going to have to pay pretty good money.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

thrakkorzog posted:

It's basically mayonnaise if you're from the U.S. As a general rule, you can substitute mayo for salad cream, and most people can't tell the difference.

UK "salad cream" = US "Miracle Whip", and the taste is very different from mayonnaise.

Tiggum is from Australia, in any case, so may not have encountered this in the wild. Salad cream and Miracle Whip are like sweetened, fluffier mayonnaise.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

AlbieQuirky posted:

UK "salad cream" = US "Miracle Whip", and the taste is very different from mayonnaise.

Tiggum is from Australia, in any case, so may not have encountered this in the wild. Salad cream and Miracle Whip are like sweetened, fluffier mayonnaise.

I see they have similar ingredients, but Salad Cream isn't really sweet or fluffy. It's vinegary and has the same consistency as ketchup.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Why is the frosting on blueberry poptarts covered in what appears to be crushed fruity pebbles?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Thanatosian posted:

I guess I'm wondering why you bought a gaming laptop if you're not going to travel with it, though...?

Business trip to San Francisco, and I've never seen the West Coast. I intend to spend all of my free time exploring the city.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When did the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands become that? From simply the Marianas District of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. I have three candidate dates:

* March 24, 1976, when President Ford signed the act putting the covenant into effect
* January 9, 1978, when the constitution came into effect
* November 3, 1986, which is celebrated as Commonwealth Day, because it's when the UN trust expired and, per the covenant, it reached full commonwealth status.

I was initially leaning towards 1976 but writing it out makes me think that 1986 is the true barrier between "part of TTPI" and "CNMI". Which means I need to remake some maps...

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Frank Horrigan posted:

Why is the frosting on blueberry poptarts covered in what appears to be crushed fruity pebbles?

Kids love colors and that's the easiest way to get them there.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Manslaughter posted:

Kids love colors and that's the easiest way to get them there.

It's only the blueberry and strawberry flavors, though. Brown sugar cinnamon, smores, peanut butter, chocotastic, the entire ice cream shoppe line, et all don't have this. Hell, not even the double berry flavor has it. Being as poptarts are marketed primarily to kids, you'd think they'd all be covered in rainbow glitter if "kids love colors" held any marketable truth.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Frank Horrigan posted:

It's only the blueberry and strawberry flavors, though. Brown sugar cinnamon, smores, peanut butter, chocotastic, the entire ice cream shoppe line, et all don't have this. Hell, not even the double berry flavor has it. Being as poptarts are marketed primarily to kids, you'd think they'd all be covered in rainbow glitter if "kids love colors" held any marketable truth.

Focus groups. Ground up food science nonsense tested as more authentically blueberry (or whatever the gently caress) than the lack thereof.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Frank Horrigan posted:

Looking around on the poptarts wiki, it appears many different flavors have something unique about them. The Double Berry that you mentioned, for example, has two red-and-blue double helixes of frosting.

(It was from this very thread a long time ago that I learned there is an entire wiki for poptarts. And I am still not certain how to feel about that.)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jeza posted:

I see they have similar ingredients, but Salad Cream isn't really sweet or fluffy. It's vinegary and has the same consistency as ketchup.

Yes, I should have said "runny" for salad cream, not "fluffy". Salad cream does taste sweeter than mayo to me, because it has sugar in it (at least Heinz does).

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Frank Horrigan posted:

Well, not everyone likes ground up fruity pebbles on their pop tarts, or frosting, or fruit flavor, or will only eat things that taste like chocolate, so they have all sorts of options to get a good market spread.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Manslaughter posted:

Well, not everyone likes ground up fruity pebbles on their pop tarts, or frosting, or fruit flavor, or will only eat things that taste like chocolate, so they have all sorts of options to get a good market spread.

I don't want to be rude or anything, but it really sounds like you're trying to pass an assumption off as actual fact. Can we please get a poptart expert to explain why these two flavors are given the fruity pebble treatment?

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I am a poptart expert (at eating them)

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

turbomoose posted:

I am a poptart expert (at eating them)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Frank Horrigan posted:

I don't want to be rude or anything, but it really sounds like you're trying to pass an assumption off as actual fact. Can we please get a poptart expert to explain why these two flavors are given the fruity pebble treatment?

Strawberry poptarts used to (back in the 80's, kids) have white frosting with just red sprinkles
Now Strawberry poptarts have white frosting with red and green sprinkles. Probably because Raspberry poptarts have white frosting with just red sprinkles
Blueberry poptarts now have white frosting with party sprinkles, But the Blueberry poptarts from when I was a kid had just blue sprinkles
Maybe just blue sprinkles on white frosting is being used by some other flavor.

So it could be a color coding short hand in case you are some lazy stoner serving a plate of unwrapped poptarts to your stoner friends.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you smoke cigarettes (3 a day,) and are fat (350lbs,) which should you take care of first, if you're almost positive that you can't do both at the same time willpower wise?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our manual can opener's crank (the part you turn) busted, I'm assuming since that part's plastic, the ridges or whatever that held the crank on the spindle for the gears broke, since the thing just turns freely now. Does anyone know of any brick-and-mortar stores that sell regular, metal-cranked can openers like this?

I looked at Meijer's and Target's websites, but all they have are more lovely plastic ones. I did find some on Amazon, but I'd rather not pay $8 in shipping on a $6 item.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Our manual can opener's crank (the part you turn) busted, I'm assuming since that part's plastic, the ridges or whatever that held the crank on the spindle for the gears broke, since the thing just turns freely now. Does anyone know of any brick-and-mortar stores that sell regular, metal-cranked can openers like this?

I looked at Meijer's and Target's websites, but all they have are more lovely plastic ones. I did find some on Amazon, but I'd rather not pay $8 in shipping on a $6 item.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that exact brand (I own one and it has served well for many years) in Target, and definitely in Big Lots.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Just make sure you get the EZ-DUZ-IT brand of that design. It used to be Swingaway, but now Swingaway is made of cheap steel and will bend on your rear end and not last as long they used to. The EZ-DUZ-IT brand is the same thing but made out of higher quality metal like the Swingaway used to be.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just make sure you get the EZ-DUZ-IT brand of that design. It used to be Swingaway, but now Swingaway is made of cheap steel and will bend on your rear end and not last as long they used to. The EZ-DUZ-IT brand is the same thing but made out of higher quality metal like the Swingaway used to be.

Huh! Good to know. I just bought a Swingaway (at Big Lots, fwiw), thinking that was still industry standard. Still beats the poo poo out of the fancy OXO a friend gifted that warped and failed after a year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks all for the home-buying-vs-renting advice a couple pages ago. Read it all but totally forgot to actually respond :downs:

uwaeve posted:

Step one read every post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399

The biggest things I'd think about are your life situation and the fact that rent is a ceiling and PITI on a house is a floor. You can walk away from an apartment much easier. Are you married? Kids? What if you have to move for a job? You'll lose 7-10% of the house price just buying and selling it so you can't really just decide it sucks and pull the handles without being out some significant money. Also pay attention to the HOA sections if you're looking at condos. Not to dissuade you, you just want to walk into the situation with reasonable expectations, which go way beyond a comparison of rent and mortgage, taxes, and insurance.

Luckily I am flexible in almost every respect. I have no wife or kids, just a cat (whom the apartment charges me out the rear end for, I totally forgot about that); my job (and I know I'm hella tempting fate here) is so stable I could ride it 35 more years into retirement if I wanted. Beyond financial concerns, the only real gotchas I have in mind are a) finding a good neighborhood, b) gently caress the packing, moving and unpacking process, and c) no seriously gently caress moving.

Also thanks for the Home Buying Megathread link, I've been reading that in considerable detail.

Thanatosian posted:

Find out what litigation the condo developers and the COA are involved in.

$100 a month is probably a very lowball estimate for how much in unforeseen costs you're going to have from the condo. And the thing is an albatross around your neck if you end up moving in the future.

Thanks for the litigation idea, I'll look into that once I have more firm ideas of where I'd want to go. My lease isn't up until December of this year, so I've got a ton of time.

What would you consider a more 'normal' amount of monthly money for the "You want HOW much to fix that pipe?!" fund? Considering that the ownership rules for every condo I've seen are "from the studs inward", seems like a lot of breakables I don't have to worry about (plumbing, roof, sometimes the water heater/AC units).

I might ask more detailed questions later in the Home Buying Megathread, but for now just a quick one: just for curiosity's sake I've been throwing numbers into this rent vs buy calculator, moving between best and worst case scenarios, and buying keeps coming out trumps massively over 10+ years, even with Bad Ideas like 0% down payment. Which all just makes me think my rent is getting me loving fleeced, really. Anyway, the actual question: is that calculator generally covering everything? (I know it missed HOAs, but I added the annual amount of that to the "annual maintenance" field to make it work.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 1, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Thanks for the brand name. I found one for :10bux: shipped from eBay.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

If you smoke cigarettes (3 a day,) and are fat (350lbs,) which should you take care of first, if you're almost positive that you can't do both at the same time willpower wise?

I think a doctor would probably tell you to quit smoking first. Find some other way to suppress your appetite. Once you have the full use of your lungs back you can run (slowly at first) or do other exercise.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
My wife owns her own business, so say the domain is https://www.wifebusiness.com. Her email is name@wifebusiness.com, and she accesses her mail through Google Apps. The domain is registered through godaddy, and the site is hosted by some lovely hosting company I found for her years ago. Haven't had any serious problems with them, but every year, due to the reviews I read, I'm surprised they're still in business. It's time to move her someplace else.

My dumb question is, where do her emails live? She's got six years' worth, and whatever I do I can't risk her losing that. Are the emails tied to the hosting company, or the domain registrar, or Google Apps? How do I figure that out?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Turtlicious posted:

Honestly incorporating some enjoyable physical activity into your lifestyle would help with both. You get into it, hate that your ruined lungs keep you from doing it for too long, then you've got your incentive to give up the smokes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Right off the bat: I know that 99 times out 100, if you have to ask "is this a scam?" it probably is.

My boyfriend has ginormous student loan debt from 20 years ago, and just got some thing in the mail that claims that "due to new laws" he may be forgiven for it, they aren't debt collectors but work with Dept of Education, blah blah blah. I can give more details if anyone thinks this is legit.

This is bullshit, yes? I was fortunate enough to get a free ride for both my college degrees on scholarships, so I've never had to deal with student loans.

If this question is better suited to a particular BFC thread, a link would be appreciated.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Right off the bat: I know that 99 times out 100, if you have to ask "is this a scam?" it probably is.

My boyfriend has ginormous student loan debt from 20 years ago, and just got some thing in the mail that claims that "due to new laws" he may be forgiven for it, they aren't debt collectors but work with Dept of Education, blah blah blah. I can give more details if anyone thinks this is legit.

This is bullshit, yes? I was fortunate enough to get a free ride for both my college degrees on scholarships, so I've never had to deal with student loans.

If this question is better suited to a particular BFC thread, a link would be appreciated.

Lol yes it's a scam

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Unless your boyfriend is a public servant, or a teacher, there's basically no real shot of loan forgiveness. Anyone promising you that there is almost certainly just wants to take your money.

If he is a public servant or teacher, go to here. and read all of that, because there's still a good shot they're trying to scam you.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Lol yes it's a scam

Captain Bravo posted:

Unless your boyfriend is a public servant, or a teacher, there's basically no real shot of loan forgiveness. Anyone promising you that there is almost certainly just wants to take your money.

If he is a public servant or teacher, go to here. and read all of that, because there's still a good shot they're trying to scam you.

Yep, That's what I figured (but also thought it couldn't hurt to ask since I know squat about loans). He's a bit more gullible than me, so I just wanted some back-up on that. Thanks! Gonna go toss that mail into the fireplace.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fellow Americans, how long do you bother to hold on to your tax returns and related paperwork? I found all my returns from as far back as 2006 in my filing here while cleaning things out, and I kind of just wanna shred the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ciaphas posted:

Fellow Americans, how long do you bother to hold on to your tax returns and related paperwork? I found all my returns from as far back as 2006 in my filing here while cleaning things out, and I kind of just wanna shred the lot.

For individuals, you should keep seven years worth.