Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
A bit bummed to see that there's no Civic Center-style arenas in the workshop. I'm in need of a hockey/basketball/concert venue that seem to be super popular up here in the Northeast (TD Garden, XL Center, Times Union Center, MassMutual Center, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I love the Isometric mod, it's like I'm playing a new version of the old SimCitys.

It just has lots of LOD/draw distance and other gfx issues :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The LoD thing isn't too surprising given it achieves the effect with a very narrow FoV setting while being zoomed out, causing the game to think it needs to use the low detail models.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

Bob le Moche posted:

help is this good or bad

I'd re-align the highways into a single line that arcs between everything and connect it to the developments through intersecting arterial roads that are continuous between major points.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
So my 3.5 year old nephew is God drat crazy about trains and I told him about this game where we could build train tracks and watch trains for hours. So I built a very quick city, dumped 2 train terminals in it and hope for the best. He FLIPPED OUT. There were six trains on screen at once! Passenger trains! Cargo Trains! All the trains!

:iia:

I started messing around with some of the tracks do make them take longer, more interesting trips before he had to go. But before he comes back I want to up my train game. Does anyone have tips for making the craziest train set ups?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Ihmemies posted:

It just has lots of LOD/draw distance and other gfx issues :(

In the options just turn the detail up and it looks much better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the kid really loves trains that much, set him up with OpenTTD.

I'm not sure a 3 year old would be able to figure it out but on the other hand kids are goddamn sponges when it comes to figuring out video games.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Have you ever shown him Transport Tycoon Deluxe? :v:

As for C:S, try using a map with interesting terrain perhaps.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Make a Zion city and make the trains go around the canyons and peaks. They are v cool to watch

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

A bit bummed to see that there's no Civic Center-style arenas in the workshop. I'm in need of a hockey/basketball/concert venue that seem to be super popular up here in the Northeast (TD Garden, XL Center, Times Union Center, MassMutual Center, etc).

Isn't the in-game unique building stadium this kind of arena?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Those hockey/basketball/concert places are largely indoor-only and would probably take up a bit less space than the grass stadium

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

gently caress yes:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414033115&searchtext=gate+tower

So downloading!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Next time post it to the thread and we'll give advice and/or figure out how to fix it.

Or maybe we'll just make it worse! :v:

Alright, I'll bite:

I think the only way to fix it is wrecking a large area of the city and building a massive highway through it. I don't want to do it, but I don't suppose there's any other choice? What would be the best way to lay it down?

Elman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 30, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm looking at that and all I can think of is how wasteful those large 6 lane roads are. You could easily fit that traffic on 2 lane roads instead with one or two exceptions. Also I'm biased in favor of 4 lane roads because I think they look a lot better.

The answer is likely to be to simply :killdozer: your way through with an elevated highway or something.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And unmodded two laners and highways don't generate traffic lights so they tend to have better throughput. That's why your Prospect Park and that top bit in Anchor District is heavy with red, with all those stops. You want to use four and six lanes when there's a lot of traffic going through that split pretty evenly between left and right (and center if you've moved up to six), so that transport is using all lanes. Otherwise you'll see a lot of cars lined up in one lane and very little happening in the other 1/2 lanes.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Elman posted:

Alright, I'll bite:

I think the only way to fix it is wrecking a large area of the city and building a massive highway through it. I don't want to do it, but I don't suppose there's any other choice? What would be the best way to lay it down?

What is the problem you want help with? The couple of areas of heavy traffic? Just the overall aesthetics of the city?

I think Poil is right that a lot of your roads are bigger than they need to be. And maybe there are just more roads and intersections than you need; the whole thing looks kind of scribbly. I feel like you could consolidate some of the lighter-traffic roads, remove a few of the shortest legs through some blocks, and limit access more on roads where you want lots of traffic moving fast.

Solomon Chumby
Dec 31, 2012

Supraluminal posted:

What's the deal with on-street parking? What value does it provide? What happens if I use only decorated streets so there is no on-street parking? Will buildings spawn with more parking lots? Will I see parking garages? Does it create traffic flow problems as people drive around looking for places to park?

I'm curious about this too. From what I've seen, it seems like parking is just for show and doesn't have any actual gameplay effect. I started using tree-lined roads almost exclusively and people don't seem to be having any trouble getting to their destinations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

MikeJF posted:

Isn't the in-game unique building stadium this kind of arena?

TheQat posted:

Those hockey/basketball/concert places are largely indoor-only and would probably take up a bit less space than the grass stadium

This is correct. The in-game stadium is kind of a large round domed football stadium. These arenas tend to be more compact and rectangular or oval-shaped with bowed roofs. It's a completely different aesthetic.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

What is the problem you want help with? The couple of areas of heavy traffic? Just the overall aesthetics of the city?

I think Poil is right that a lot of your roads are bigger than they need to be. And maybe there are just more roads and intersections than you need; the whole thing looks kind of scribbly. I feel like you could consolidate some of the lighter-traffic roads, remove a few of the shortest legs through some blocks, and limit access more on roads where you want lots of traffic moving fast.

Just general traffic advice like that, yeah. I've been fixing my traffic problems through pure overkill and it's starting to catch up to me, I didn't want to go ahead and build a highway before realizing what I'm doing wrong.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

First off, is traffic actually backing up here? Just because the chart is red doesn't mean its bad, as long as traffic is flowing well. If it is backing up, that might be because you've got too many intersections too close together. Try turning some of those redundant side roads into cul-de-sacs.

Another thing to ask yourself is if that is local traffic, or cross-town traffic. Are they just passing from one end of the city to the other? If so, thats a good candidate for a straighter path with controlled access (fewer ways on/off). Basically, a Highway. :v:

Also, if you don't already have it, a Metro network might relieve some stress from the roads. You'd get decent coverage out of two straight lines, especially if you feed them with routes that cover a few local blocks around the stations. Here is a quick and dirty rough idea:

Oh and for trouble shooting traffic, try using this. Its proven helpful for me a few times, and beats observing individual vehicles to figure out common routes.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 30, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Supraluminal posted:

What's the deal with on-street parking? What value does it provide? What happens if I use only decorated streets so there is no on-street parking? Will buildings spawn with more parking lots? Will I see parking garages? Does it create traffic flow problems as people drive around looking for places to park?

Basically it seems like the game is trying to set up this tradeoff with parking vs. decoration, but it gives you no useful information about the consequences of taking one choice over the other and no alternate tools for providing parking (e.g. municipal parking garages).

Pretty sure if there's no where for a car to park it just disappears and the cim continues as normal so it doesn't actually matter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Galaga Galaxian posted:

First off, is traffic actually backing up here? Just because the chart is red doesn't mean its bad, as long as traffic is flowing well. If it is backing up, that might be because you've got too many intersections too close together. Try turning some of those redundant side roads into cul-de-sacs.

I would agree the most egregious traffic sins are the number of side streets hooking into what should be main feed roads.

A good (evil) suburban subdivision should fill as much space in between feeder roads, while only connecting to the surrounding feeder road once or twice. Like bottlenecks around industry or concentrated commercial are evil, but when you are talking about a neighborhood of houses, especially without any rush hour mechanics, they are only periodically visited by a small volume of people.

e.
So like going a little further than Galaga Galaxians recomendation, maybe service buildings not withstanding you could probably turn this entire neighborhood into 1 suburban subdivision made of 2 lane streets like this. You remove lights from the main feeders allowing through traffic to pass it by like the inconsequential neighborhood it is and the speed weighting on the algorithm keeps through traffic on the main streets.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 30, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

This is correct. The in-game stadium is kind of a large round domed football stadium. These arenas tend to be more compact and rectangular or oval-shaped with bowed roofs. It's a completely different aesthetic.

Ah, I never really zoomed in to see that you can see a field inside. It just looked like this weird bubble shape.

It was poor design for a stadium, really. You can't tell what it is from a distance.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Can you really make a metro line that isn't a loop? I haven't played with them nearly enough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sure. My city's metro has 3 lines and it functions just fine. The metro trains just back out of the station and switch tracks.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah they work just like the trains in that regard.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Supraluminal posted:

Basically it seems like the game is trying to set up this tradeoff with parking vs. decoration, but it gives you no useful information about the consequences of taking one choice over the other and no alternate tools for providing parking (e.g. municipal parking garages).
Maybe grassy parks are an exception, but if there's no on road parking due to fancy lawn trims, the driveways and car parks that nearly all buildings have are used instead and you even see the little vehicles drive into them. Frankly I'd rather they were used in the first place. The cars do not disappear other than the instant you plop an upgrade down. Having a quick look at the asset creator you'll see that there are parking spot way points. Would I be right in assuming then, that default roads have these way points and fancier ones do not? I'd like default roads without them at all, TYVM.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

How about just a "No Curbside Parking" policy. :v:

Pros: Looks nicer (IMO)
Cons: hurts sales for local businesses ("Finding parking is a bitch downtown!")

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would love it if the game could recognize a popular downtown area that gets lots of traffic. Occasionally it would develop commercial lots into parking garages, which then hoovers up cars and produces a ton of pedestrians that visit nearby businesses.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

MickRaider posted:

Can you really make a metro line that isn't a loop? I haven't played with them nearly enough.

The only thing you can't do is make two metro tunnels go under or above one another. But the trains will turn on a dime, so 90 degree turns aren't out of the equation.

If two train tunnels need to cross, just build a station right where they need to cross and connect them there and it'll work.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Honestly I'd like if parking was more of an issue. It's simulated at a level where it could make for a gameplay element but it just resolves itself.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elukka posted:

Honestly I'd like if parking was more of an issue. It's simulated at a level where it could make for a gameplay element but it just resolves itself.

I would too but it seems a lot of people are having trouble handling traffic as it is.

A difficulty slider with that as an option would be cool though. I think it's slightly weird that my downtown with tons of high rises has so little real estate devoted to parking, but maybe I've just been hanging around LA too much. I've downloaded some parking lots from the Workshop but still.

An edict/policy about 'no curbside parking' on certain streets would be cool, too. Even if it is just for aesthetic purposes at this point.

\/\/\/\/ yeah

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 30, 2015

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Parking meters/Parking garages for extra income would be a cool addition.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do you guys have free transportation by the way? I decided I make so little money on the transport and I'm in the hole anyway paying for it I might as well make it free and eat the cost to get more usage and less traffic on the roads.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

xzzy posted:

I would love it if the game could recognize a popular downtown area that gets lots of traffic. Occasionally it would develop commercial lots into parking garages, which then hoovers up cars and produces a ton of pedestrians that visit nearby businesses.

Before:

After:

:v:

Moridin920 posted:

Do you guys have free transportation by the way? I decided I make so little money on the transport and I'm in the hole anyway paying for it I might as well make it free and eat the cost to get more usage and less traffic on the roads.

Pretty sure my mass transit runs in the black, actually.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure my mass transit runs in the black, actually.

Huh maybe I just need to rework my poo poo then. I was paying easily 3x more upkeep than I was getting back.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Has anyone found out how to fix the bug with all steam workshop assets not actually being loaded in game?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I made about +10k in my last city with transit, which is lot since my weekly income was only 12k. So I decided I could just barely afford free transit. This game seems to model actual real life experiments with free transit quite well as my transit numbers went from about 6000 a week to 6100 a week and I can't even tell if that was because of the free transit or the population increase.

I don't understand how people decide to walk or take transit. I have people taking like 4 transfers to get way the gently caress across town on one of their stupid nonsense trips and then people driving literally a single block to their job.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My pubic transport is free, I make more than enough money to keep it that way. It's weird how you're only paying for the bus depot and not the buses or bus stops so cranking up the budget to 150% barely costs anything at all but gives you a ton of more buses everywhere. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Baronjutter posted:

I made about +10k in my last city with transit, which is lot since my weekly income was only 12k. So I decided I could just barely afford free transit. This game seems to model actual real life experiments with free transit quite well as my transit numbers went from about 6000 a week to 6100 a week and I can't even tell if that was because of the free transit or the population increase.

I don't understand how people decide to walk or take transit. I have people taking like 4 transfers to get way the gently caress across town on one of their stupid nonsense trips and then people driving literally a single block to their job.

Just like real life my friend.