Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

I would like to draw a direct parallel between the mutilation of political rivals in the Constantinople-based era of the Roman empire and the modern New Jersey mafia tradition of kneecapping opponents.

I would also like to put forth the theory that the Byzantines were actually the source of the Atlantis stories and they they were descended from Colombians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Kanine posted:

I would also like to put forth the theory that the Byzantines were actually the source of the Atlantis stories truths and they they were descended from Bolivians.

Could not resist. :3: :mmmhmm:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whoops, forgot which Latin-American country the crackpots were bent on being Atlantis.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Been meaning to link this, next time Atlantischat came around.

quote:

When the mythical island of Atlantis submerged into the ocean, it took all of its orichalcum with it. The legendary cast metal was reputedly second only to gold in value. A team of divers say they’ve recovered 39 blocks of orichalcum in a sixth-century shipwreck on the seafloor near Sicily

The hard-hitting facebook-covering coverage you expect from IFL Science

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Tunicate posted:

Been meaning to link this, next time Atlantischat came around.

The hard-hitting facebook-covering coverage you expect from IFL Science

If only the boat was off the coast of South America and of Roman design...

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

PittTheElder posted:

Except for the part where the second guy starts talking about nation-states like those were a thing in the first millennium. That's kinda bananas.

People do it on and off, little do they realize that nations are an invention of the 19th century. I guess that's another case of a 22th century reenactor playing a 500 pound Patton on a mobility scooter.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

JaucheCharly posted:

People do it on and off, little do they realize that nations are an invention of the 19th century. I guess that's another case of a 22th century reenactor playing a 500 pound Patton on a mobility scooter.

This is kind of like nerds insisting that "all food is organic, because it's carbon-based". You have to ignore an awful lot of historical usage of the word "nation" to claim that nations didn't show up until the 1800s.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The juju of Nationalism is definitely at work before the 19th century, even if that's the obvious point of explosion.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
In the 14th century Edward III was raising money to fight his war for the French throne by scareongering about a french plot to invade England and destroy the English language. Feels fairly nationalistic to me.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Oberleutnant posted:

In the 14th century Edward III was raising money to fight his war for the French throne by scareongering about a french plot to invade England and destroy the English language. Feels fairly nationalistic to me.

Isnt that (that being the hyw) where most people say the idea of nations as a thing started? Before that (exceptions like roman republic aside) it was mostly daves land and freds land rather than any concept of this is england and im english regardless of who happens to be in charge?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's a fluid thing. Traditionally the legal concept of a nation state is traced to the Peace of Westphalia in 1648, and modern nationalism to Napoleon. National identity arose differently everywhere and it's the kind of debate that has no real satisfying answer.

Applying our modern concept of the nation state to the classical world is absolutely wrong. It doesn't mean there's nothing about the classical world that resembles the idea of nations though. It's just so different that the comparison isn't useful.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The concept of "nation" still doesn't work in many parts of the world. See: The Middle East, where the concept of "tribe" has far more weight than "Iraqi" or even "Sunni".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think the distinction is that it's nationalistic feelings as opposed to fully-developed nationalism. Nationalism as we understand it is a function of expanded communication. Ancient Romans and Chinese probably had a more developed sense of national identity, but they didn't have nationalism as we understand. Everyone has had their own communities, but the idea of nation (and "imagined community" as Benedict Anderson described it) has varied.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Isnt that (that being the hyw) where most people say the idea of nations as a thing started? Before that (exceptions like roman republic aside) it was mostly daves land and freds land rather than any concept of this is england and im english regardless of who happens to be in charge?

Our modern polities are expected to rule precisely and equally over all of its territory and inhabitants, but pre-modern dynastic polities were nothing like that. They were based on the centre revolving around a monarch, whose power emanated into outlying regions. The outlying inhabitants tended to be equal in that they were all equally distant from the centre and the monarch who united them. Edward III's cousin once removed was the reigning King of France, and the Hundred Years' Wa was begun to secure control over English lands in France.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ynglaur posted:

The concept of "nation" still doesn't work in many parts of the world.

Even in the US, prior to the Civil War and I imagine for a while after, people tended to identify with their home state first, then as an American. A lot of people today still do actually, especially in the South.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

The concept of "nation" still doesn't work in many parts of the world. See: The Middle East, where the concept of "tribe" has far more weight than "Iraqi" or even "Sunni".

Uh I don't know about that. Iraq had plenty of nationalism until it was destroyed by colonial imperialism.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

euphronius posted:

Uh I don't know about that. Iraq had plenty of nationalism until it was destroyed by colonial imperialism.

Iraq wasn't a state until colonial imperialism. I assume you're referring to the 19th and 20th centuries, and not to this century.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Protonationalistic feelings are difficult to pin down at the best of times. When late medieval Germans begin to tire of having their regions partitioned by politics and inheritance, what is that? When you say 'I am not a South-West-Saxon or a South Saxon but just A Saxon' you are expressing a belief in an idea of a Land. This is sometimes referred to in that context as heimatliebe. It's definitely something.

For the Roman world the dominant identities are civic and cultural, though - definitely not national.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Also in the Arab world don't fall in to the trap of thinking that the weak nationalism of today means nationalism has always been weak - it shows you skipped the middle part of the 20th century.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I think you can point to things well before the 19th century as nationalistic. The Dutch Revolt against Spain may have been fueled by the Reformation, but there was certainly an aspect of local elites sick of taking orders from a distant and uncaring metropole that is pretty much the definition of nationalism. Plenty of people in England responded with rah-rah chauvinism to Spain's attempt to claim the English throne in the 1580s and that wasn't purely a Reformation thing either. Portugal's successful and Catalonia's unsuccessful attempts to break with Spain in the 1640s don't even have the Reformation to blame, just local elites tired of taking orders from a weak and disinterested regime in Madrid, and if that isn't nationalism what is.

Back on topic...trivia question. Who was the last Roman Emperor to have a monument in the city of Rome? This is relevant to the Rome/Byzantine question.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 30, 2015

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Patter Song posted:

I think you can point to things well before the 19th century as nationalistic. The Dutch Revolt against Spain may have been fueled by the Reformation, but there was certainly an aspect of local elites sick of taking orders from a distant and uncaring metropole that is pretty much the definition of nationalism. Plenty of people in England responded with rah-rah chauvinism to Spain's attempt to claim the English throne in the 1580s and that wasn't purely a Reformation thing either. Portugal's successful and Catalonia's unsuccessful attempts to break with Spain in the 1640s don't even have the Reformation to blame, just local elites tired of taking orders from a weak and disinterested regime in Madrid, and if that isn't nationalism what is.

Back on topic...trivia question. Who was the last Roman Emperor to have a monument in the city of Rome? This is relevant to the Rome/Byzantine question.

This is a big deal though. One of the reasons the French Revolution is such a big deal is how deep it ran into the communities.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If somebody uses the word natio in a medieval text, you cannot assume that the word is connected to the same (quite large) pool of ideas as it is in the 19th century. Some points have already been brought up, and nationalism or what people nowadays associate with it is a direct result of the state creating a narrative that overgrew old (communal) identities and loyalties that the people held before. When Hegel's Saxons speak about Heimat, it is not a reference to a topos that includes a shared history of sort of a larger scope, but a diffuse term that refers to a place of belonging or a small community where people share certain customs (not even necessarily the same language). Nationalism is tied to the existence of a state in the modern sense, who uses certain narratives to expand the range of what you'd associate with Heimat well beyond what was understood by the word one or two hundred years before.

This is carried on many levels and is especially evident in the way that the state established a certain language as the standard idiom through compulsory schooling. Children learning poems of national poets come to mind, Goethe in Germany and I'm sure you can come up with a number or people from your country.

Let's not forget the way that history is told. There's always a master narrative that people are infused with, usually some kind of war long ago against invaders or foreign forces. Since you already spoke about Germany, the Hermannsmythos is the best example for this, or french nationalist literature refering to the Gallic Wars.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

If somebody uses the word natio in a medieval text, you cannot assume that the word is connected to the same (quite large) pool of ideas as it is in the 19th century. Some points have already been brought up, and nationalism or what people nowadays associate with it is a direct result of the state creating a narrative that overgrew old (communal) identities and loyalties that the people held before. When Hegel's Saxons speak about Heimat, it is not a reference to a topos that includes a shared history of sort of a larger scope, but a diffuse term that refers to a place of belonging or a small community where people share certain customs (not even necessarily the same language). Nationalism is tied to the existence of a state in the modern sense, who uses certain narratives to expand the range of what you'd associate with Heimat well beyond what was understood by the word one or two hundred years before.

This is carried on many levels and is especially evident in the way that the state established a certain language as the standard idiom through compulsory schooling. Children learning poems of national poets come to mind, Goethe in Germany and I'm sure you can come up with a number or people from your country.

Let's not forget the way that history is told. There's always a master narrative that people are infused with, usually some kind of war long ago against invaders or foreign forces. Since you already spoke about Germany, the Hermannsmythos is the best example for this, or french nationalist literature refering to the Gallic Wars.

All of that does not necessarily mean that there isn't a historical relationship with that idea of heimat and later ideas of nationalism.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
They're definitely related in an evolutionary sense, but the scope is different. It's no accident that nationalistic parties here claim that they're the party of the "Heimat".

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Yes I think that's right.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Even in the US, prior to the Civil War and I imagine for a while after, people tended to identify with their home state first, then as an American. A lot of people today still do actually, especially in the South.
And even then it sometimes extends to city state level, like in PA where Pittsburgh and Philly hate each other

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Patter Song posted:

Isn't it stupid old Phocas?

fake edit: yep

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

achillesforever6 posted:

And even then it sometimes extends to city state level, like in PA where Pittsburgh and Philly hate each other

I think that's pretty universal. Everybody's ethnicity has different levels to it, and that's no less true now than it was in the fifth century. Most of us identify with our country first, and then perhaps a provincial level distinction beyond that, then our cities, and neighbourhoods, and then families.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Patter Song posted:

This guy.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

PittTheElder posted:

I think that's pretty universal. Everybody's ethnicity has different levels to it, and that's no less true now than it was in the fifth century. Most of us identify with our country first, and then perhaps a provincial level distinction beyond that, then our cities, and neighbourhoods, and then families.

That order pretty much exemplifies what this national upbringing does to the individual and why a place where this is upside down, where family and clan comes first, is dramatically different.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Disinterested posted:

Also in the Arab world don't fall in to the trap of thinking that the weak nationalism of today means nationalism has always been weak - it shows you skipped the middle part of the 20th century.

Was it nationalism ("Syria forever!", "I love being Iraqi!"), or was it more an anti-Western, anti-Israeli sentiment in nationalist guise? Put another way, did nationalism trump tribal lines at any point?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Was it nationalism ("Syria forever!", "I love being Iraqi!"), or was it more an anti-Western, anti-Israeli sentiment in nationalist guise? Put another way, did nationalism trump tribal lines at any point?

Who's to say if it trumped it, but it was certainly much more politically potent in Communist Afghanistan (for example) than it is today. Not all Arab nationalism is now or was then a feature of anti-Israeli or anti-Western feeling either.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Chances are great that you've never heard about Pan-Arabism.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Rincewind posted:

Isn't it stupid old Phocas?

fake edit: yep

Yes, which raises the question why the two hundred years the Byzantines held Rome doesn't get brought up more often in the "are they Rome" argument. By Phocas' day Rome was as relevant to the empire as it had been in Honorius' day not at all but it was an imperial city nonetheless.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Chances are great that you've never heard about Pan-Arabism.

If that's for me then that's a pretty dumb comment, but I'm not sure.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Nope. I know that you know about it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Then yeah, this long twin prong of wiki articles would probably be useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_nationalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Arabism

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the links. I'll concede that Arab nationalism is A Thing, and that perhaps Afghan nationalism was A Thing during the Soviet invasion, but maintain that tribal identification and loyalty trumps that for a majority of the populations referenced.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks for the links. I'll concede that Arab nationalism is A Thing, and that perhaps Afghan nationalism was A Thing during the Soviet invasion, but maintain that tribal identification and loyalty trumps that for a majority of the populations referenced.

I'm not sure how useful it is to take that pre-selected opinion in to your reading given your apparent lack of information.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah, I don't know, man. 2/3 of Iraqis (for example) live in cities. Not in desert yurts or whatever you are imagining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

When Hegel's Saxons speak about Heimat, it is not a reference to a topos that includes a shared history of sort of a larger scope, but a diffuse term that refers to a place of belonging or a small community where people share certain customs (not even necessarily the same language). Nationalism is tied to the existence of a state in the modern sense...
Which also encompasses political loyalty in a way that my guys' Heimat or Land doesn't--my dudes are subjects of the Elector of Saxony (most of them), but bear their military duty to the King of Spain. Both of these are personal relationships.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 30, 2015