Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sorry, that's not Numberwang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
From what I remember of the first Leprechaun movie, it was just a shittier Pumpkinhead. Watch Pumpkinhead instead.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I've never bothered watching a Leprechaun movie. Are any of them worth a watch, or do the titles pretty much tell the full joke?

The one in Vegas is good because it has the astronaut pen guy from Seinfeld in it but other than that no

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

none of the first four Leprechaun movies are good, but if you want to be a true student of bad movies you're going to have to grapple with them at some point.

how badly do you want this life?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

none of the first four Leprechaun movies are good, but if you want to be a true student of bad movies you're going to have to grapple with them at some point.

I would rather watch Demonic Toys or some crap.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would rather watch Demonic Toys or some crap.

all day Puppet Master/Demonic Toys marathon

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

The only time I watched Leprechaun in the Hood was St Patrick's Day a few years ago when I downed a fifth of Jameson, ate all the marshmallows in a box of Lucky Charms, and ate half a raw potato. All of these were roughly equally good ideas. Half my family tree must have been rolling in their graves that night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

all day Puppet Master/Demonic Toys marathon

I gotta be honest I would be checked out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm watching Begotten in a corner window at work.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I gotta be honest I would be checked out.

no poo poo, there's gotta be like 9 or 10 of those Puppet Master movies by now and after like the third one they get pretty unwatchable. I think the second one's genuinely "not bad" though.

I do have the bizarre urge to do a Subspecies marathon now

\mm/

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I've only seen the Demonic Toys where they fight the puppet master. It was terrible. I saw a big DVD set at Wal Mart with like, 12 Puppet Master/Demonic Toys movies and even though it was cheap there was no way I'd ever subject myself to that poo poo.

If the Leprechaun movies are mostly comparable to Demonic Toys, then I feel comfortable in avoiding these.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I've only seen the Demonic Toys where they fight the puppet master. It was terrible. I saw a big DVD set at Wal Mart with like, 12 Puppet Master/Demonic Toys movies and even though it was cheap there was no way I'd ever subject myself to that poo poo.

If the Leprechaun movies are mostly comparable to Demonic Toys, then I feel comfortable in avoiding these.

when you decide you're serious about the bad movie lyfe, i'll be here

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

quote:

The story opens with a robed, profusely bleeding "God" disemboweling itself,

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Begotten is a weird movie
I know that's an understatement but I dunno what else to say.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched half of one of the Leprechaun Hood movies once but I sure as hell don't know which.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FishBulb posted:

Begotten is a weird movie
I know that's an understatement but I dunno what else to say.

It's good, perfect example of how you can make a great horror movie with no money at all.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I remember hearing about Begotten in high school but never being able to get a hold of it. I built it up in my head so much over the years that when I finally saw it it didn't scare me at all. :(

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I remember hearing about Begotten in high school but never being able to get a hold of it. I built it up in my head so much over the years that when I finally saw it it didn't scare me at all. :(

i don't know that it's really supposed to be scary.

that director had a weird career. Begotten, Shadow of the Vampire, some crappy looking serial killer movie with Carrie Anne Moss and Ben Kingsley, and then nothing that I know of for 15 years

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched half of one of the Leprechaun Hood movies once but I sure as hell don't know which.

I like to think Leprechaun: Back in the Hood is just about him trying to get his foreskin back. He's Catholic, after all; he needs that poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

It's foreboding and unnerving.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The opening scene of Begotten is one of the only times I've had to pause a movie to get air and calm down, because I wasn't expecting the way the actor moved to be so visceral.

Hodgepodge posted:

I think that's basically how the Guild Fold-Ships were designed in Dune. "Look we're mutated freaks who get really high and bend space into origami until we're were we want to be. Make the place look like Dracula would have trouble sleeping a night here."

I always liked the scene in Lynch's Dune where you get to see space travel from the navigator's POV while he's tripping balls and envisioning space folding as vomiting wormholes onto ships.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

As a student of bad poo poo comma gently caress those movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

As a student of bad poo poo comma gently caress those movies

6 film Leprechaun dickstream

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
People who have the same birthday: Warren Beatty, John Astin, and Dickeye.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Happy bday Dickeye!

Don't care if it's not his bday.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

mr. stefan posted:

The opening scene of Begotten is one of the only times I've had to pause a movie to get air and calm down, because I wasn't expecting the way the actor moved to be so visceral.

That was me with the first time I saw Eraserhead. By the time I got to Begotten I was bored with it. Which I'm not saying as a complaint, I really wanted to get into the groove of that one. Felt like a bunch of dudes running around in hoods.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Felt like a bunch of dudes running around in hoods.

it's more engaging than a Sunn O))) show, anyway

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That lead me to this classic, which I haven't seen since the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukbzCC3cfQ

Kind of awesome as a short film in its own right.

quote:

"According to Santilli, a set was constructed in the living room of an empty flat in Rochester Square, Camden Town, London. John Humphreys, an artist and sculptor, was employed to construct two dummy alien bodies over a period of three weeks, using casts containing sheep brains set in raspberry jam, chicken entrails and knuckle joints obtained from S.C. Crosby Wholesale Butchers Smithfield meat market, London. Humphreys also played the role of the chief examiner, in order to allow him to control the effects being filmed. There were two separate attempts at making the footage. After filming, the team disposed of the "bodies" by cutting them into small pieces and placing them in rubbish bins across London.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 30, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hellraiser 4 is pretty good too, and by "pretty good," I mean it's the least lovely of the Hellraiser movies that aren't 1 and 2.

it also got kinda made a fool of when Event Horizon turned out to be Hellraiser in Space, but way better

hellraiser 4, the movie so good alan smithee directed it

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Season Nine of Trailer Park Boys is shaping up really well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

hellraiser 4, the movie so good alan smithee directed it

the alan smithee in question iirc is kevin yagher, designer of the Chucky puppet. which makes it kinda funny/sad that the effects in hellraiser 4 are so awful.

K. Waste posted:

Season Nine of Trailer Park Boys is shaping up really well.

siiiiiiiiiick

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's kind of funny how many movies with utterly awful 90s CGI have really good, kinda understated practical effects. Mortal Kombat, Spawn, Alien 3, and Hellraiser 4 all have some of the worst CGI I've ever seen, but the non-CG effects are all pretty okay in all of them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

there's only one CG effect in Alien 3 actually, and it's when the Alien explodes at the end. the funky looking alien is actually a rod puppet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's kind of funny how many movies with utterly awful 90s CGI have really good, kinda understated practical effects. Mortal Kombat, Spawn, Alien 3, and Hellraiser 4 all have some of the worst CGI I've ever seen, but the non-CG effects are all pretty okay in all of them.

Star Trek 6 is the same. There's an early scene with absolutely awful CG blood floating in zero g, but there's a ton of great practical effects in the rest of the film.

Also, it's embarrassing how upset this question made me.

It's the directing, god drat it!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Episode three literally has a nativity scene... and it's not even Christmas:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I feel like if you could afford CG back then, your budget was probably high enough to afford the good practical work.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Have we ever done Darktown Strutters as YTOTD? Cause it's mad funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29H4C5_H3Uk

!!! Do not sleep on this one! Give it 5 minutes at the very least.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maarak posted:

!!! Do not sleep on this one! Give it 5 minutes at the very least.

It's so goddamn funny, and I usually despise 70's comedies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Also, it's embarrassing how upset this question made me.

It's the directing, god drat it!

did you miss the "of the following"

• Locked thread