Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I feel like the only thing we actually missed was watching Ashido actually hit navel laser with her acid. We got to see her shoryuken and her dodging and charging the acid splash, though, so close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The author said something about not having explained what her power really is yet I think? So it's not just "She's invisible" apparently.

I just assumed that that was just a joke, but hey, who knows.

Soylentbits posted:

Uh she pretty consistently loses. She was on the only team that lost against the supervillains. She's been outsmarted by grape boy twice. She lost the presidency to Deku and then somehow lost it to Iida despite him not being in the running.
In the volume 2 omake, her Likes was "Reading (stuff like picture books)". She's pretty great.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ataru13 posted:

Sea level is a pretty high point compared to the Challenger Deep.
And if you stuck Everest at the bottom of the Challenger Deep, its summit would still be 2,000 feet below the surface. So just coast and enjoy the ride.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What sort of costume would Invisible Girl even use, anyways?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's the whole joke to her character - she has to get completely naked to be completely invisible. During every event so far in the comic the guys around her comment in a panel here or there how "hot" or uncomfortable it is to have her be wandering around with nothing on even if they can't see her. Especially during the cavalry part.

"At least we got her to wear pants."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers/early scans are out. Like seriously if you're one of those people who're triggered by spoilers kindly avoid the black bars.

Like really, right there. The bars.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bakugou pretty much kicks the poo poo out of Uraraka, to the point he gets booed by the crowd. It's not BRUTAL, and if I'm interpreting it right she makes a pretty brilliant use of her power. It's just not enough.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 27, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's killing me waiting for the next chapter, having looked through the raw. Here's an author twitter pic

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Spoilers/early scans are out. Like seriously if you're one of those people who're triggered by spoilers kindly avoid the black bars.

Apparently it's not as bad as that in terms of him being an rear end. He's on guard since he knows she'll win if she gets close. What the crowd misinterprets him being a jerk and toying with her is him actually being smart and not letting her get an opening. It's a bummer about her super attack not working though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Weekly Jump is out.

Uraraka is surprisingly hardcore.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy crap that ruled. I love how he spun it around in such a way that it didn't make Bakugou look like a complete rear end in a top hat. Yeah, he's far above her level, but it really felt as if this battle could have gone both ways if it would have gone on.

I also love how expressive these characters are. The artist can tell a million words with a single face panel.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Link for your convenience - http://www.mangareader.net/boku-no-hero-academia/36

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Uraraka may have lost but I'll take an exhaustion defeat like this over a "Sakura Blooms" fiasco any day of the week.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder what the hell the proper translation is for what Grapes is saying.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Fabricated posted:

He's saying he must be gay, or else he wouldn't hit shoot explosions at a girl.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

Grapes just can't fathom any action towards a girl not based on being a creaper. I was way more surprised at "cotton on", that's some archaic localization.

Bakugou remains the only character ever in a manga to benefit from unreasonable levels of swearing insert.

Jazu posted:

He's saying he must be gay, or else he wouldn't hit shoot explosions at a girl.

Explosions that don't target clothes anyway.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That was a good match.

Also, the first (English) volume is now available for pre-order on Amazon.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's killing me waiting for the next chapter, having looked through the raw. Here's an author twitter pic

Haha! This is great. They're playing Smash Bros and apparently Kirishima is a boss at it and Midoriya is being a tryhard.

Time to read the actual chapter!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aizawa shutting up the announcer guy was hilarious

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, it seems like the complaints from the crowd are just sexism. Uraraka honestly seemed pretty grateful to Bakugou for not cutting her any slack.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

Well, when I read the (unofficial) Korean translation, I got the impression that Grapes was saying that Bakugou was a sadist. I didn't get any kind of connotations with homosexuality at all.

Then again, there's no guarantee that the Korean translation is better, and my Korean isn't as good as my English so I may have just interpreted the Korean wrong.

It's cool that Momonaga was the one to notice Uraraka's plan. I guess when you copy other people's quirks, you need to be perceptive enough to figure out unique ways of using them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In the official translation, Mineta says "Ugh. So Bakugou's that type of guy..."

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Round 2 Match-ups and my predictions

Midoriya (Winner) vs Todoroki
Shiozaki aka Thorn-hair Girl vs Iida (Winner)
Ashido (Winner) vs Tokoyami
Kirishima vs Bakugou (Winner)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

drat, what a good chapter. Somehow it managed to feel twice as long and packed as it actually was, which is funny to compare to something like Bleach, which feels 1/10 as long as it actually is and completely empty. Uraraka gets to be a badass, Bakugou gets to continue to be overwhelmingly powerful, and both characters are given great and consistent characterization, particularly with Aizawa basically praising both.

This series is good, y'all.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

That's what I really liked this chapter.

Despite losing, Uraraka looked totally badass and Bakugou not holding back at all meant he took her serious as a opponent. This wasn't your typical boy vs girl fight. Just 2 upcoming heroes giving it their all and both managed to look good in the end.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bakugou has trouble with names and calls basically everyone by a demeaning nickname. He referred to her by name at the end of the fight.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
What I liked the most about this chapter was that they called out the crowd on being condescending, sexist idiots about the fight. I mean for gently caress's sake they are in a superhero fighting tournament, there's no reason to treat the girl any differently than you would treat any other opponent.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Terper posted:

Bakugou has trouble with names and calls basically everyone by a demeaning nickname. He referred to her by name at the end of the fight.

Didn't even catch that at first. It's little touches like this that really makes this series shine.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Fantastic chapter. Bakugou's great, Uraraka's great, Aizawa's great.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terper posted:

He's also developed at least some respect for Midoriya, since Bakugou expected something to be up because she hangs out with him.

And he's still hilariously angry about it. Yay!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm not terribly surprised that Bakugou is moving on towards a rematch with Deku, but it would have been pretty crazy if Uraraka got the win. I'm pretty consistently happy at the characterization the author's been able to pull out for these fights, and how everyone looks like a strong contender.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou kinda has a Vegeta frenemy thing going minus the fact he's not a jobber yet.

I'm rooting for this series since it kinda gives me this feeling it won't relegate the ancillary characters to jobbers or mook cleanup detail whenever the inevitable "Mysterious Stupidly-named Coalition of villains" with everyone's opposite number start showing up one after another.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This manga is getting color pages super often, it's popular as hell.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, it seems like the complaints from the crowd are just sexism.

The first guy who jumped up was a literal white knight.

e: This guy:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 31, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

"Mysterious Stupidly-named Coalition of villains"

Obvious guess, but Endeavor is the big bad behind Facepalm and his gang of mooks.
His target was All Might, that's a big hint.
Of course, this could all be a big swerve.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Chapter 37 is out.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I like that they are making Bakugou, the rude rear end in a top hat, into one of the least sexist characters in a manga. Everyone is STILL hammering at that "you blasted a girl" thing and he's the first one to acknowledge she did well by herself after being told it was all her.

Also enjoyed Kirishima's fight :allears: that was amazing. I hope to God there's an anime of this if only so that someone can dub the Over-The-Top movie over that tiebreaker.

One other thing I really, really enjoy is that Deku seems to be more of a human than a lot of manga characters in general. Like he isn't ever 100% courageous or 100% cowardly. He was totally intimidated by Endeavor and still found it in him to one-liner him. That makes him a really likable protagonist, to be honest.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Hopeford posted:

Chapter 37 is out.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I like that they are making Bakugou, the rude rear end in a top hat, into one of the least sexist characters in a manga. Everyone is STILL hammering at that "you blasted a girl" thing and he's the first one to acknowledge she did well by herself after being told it was all her.

Also enjoyed Kirishima's fight :allears: that was amazing. I hope to God there's an anime of this if only so that someone can dub the Over-The-Top movie over that tiebreaker.

One other thing I really, really enjoy is that Deku seems to be more of a human than a lot of manga characters in general. Like he isn't ever 100% courageous or 100% cowardly. He was totally intimidated by Endeavor and still found it in him to one-liner him. That makes him a really likable protagonist, to be honest.

http://www.mangareader.net/boku-no-hero-academia/37/1

Here's a link to said chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dunno why I thought of this while looking at him but Endeavor is one of those characters that would probably end up looking like poo poo when animated outside of fight scenes where the animation budget is lower, due to the constant fire effect.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Depends how often he ultimately shows up, probably. If he only crops up from time to time, I could see them making him a budget darling, putting in the extra effort to capture his intensity. On the other hand, if he's gonna be around every other week then yeah, the flame effects will probably suffer.

Good chapter. Deku calling out Endeavor was sweet, but not as sweet as Uraraka's parents. :unsmith:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does Uraraka have an accent of some kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I think she reverted to a more "rural" accent when talking with her parents. She started doing it after talking with them for a little bit. She's from a small town, right?