Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I think he's reading a little too much in someone ending an email with take care and good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Tom's also usually not passive agressive when he wants to hear less from callers who don't have much to say when they call. I remember him just outright banning all the regulars at some point.

I urge anyone who's never heard them to listen to the Petey's Birthday episodes, they're great. Tom's manic joy when they got to annoy WFMU folk as Doc Shock & Doc Shock Jr. for 30 minutes is adorable.

I miss the days when the show had tons of kids calling in general, it led to some great moments.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm bummed Laurie never called back after the ban. Or at least on a regular basis, but I don't think she's called at all. She always had a good dynamic with Tom.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Illinois Smith posted:

I miss the days when the show had tons of kids calling in general, it led to some great moments.

In general, I think this is the thing I miss the most from the show being over the air.

I remember in the shows waning months, there was this one old jersey dude who just wanted go call and reminisce about classic rock with Tom. He called like 3 or 4 times and was awesome.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm bummed Laurie never called back after the ban. Or at least on a regular basis, but I don't think she's called at all. She always had a good dynamic with Tom.

I don't keep up with Seven Second Delay as much as I used to but she used to call that show all the time too and I haven't heard her on that one either.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
My favourite thing about Best Show Version 2.0 is definitely the half-remembered vaguely misogynist Bee-Gee's songs.

Don't know if anyone else in this thread watches Steven Universe, but Tom has really been killing it on there lately too.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

my numero package has sbeen shipped everyone

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

double dip posted:

my numero package has sbeen shipped everyone

My label was printed but it hasn't shipped yet. With my luck it arrives when I'm out of town for the live show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can one of you guys a post pics of that bad boy when you get it in the mail? Really wanted to pre order that but I was broke.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Rock Rot And Rule: 2015 Appendix

Also, apparently last fall at some point, Rock Rot and Rule got put on Youtube! Hooray!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvABt2uXRzY

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NESguerilla posted:

Can one of you guys a post pics of that bad boy when you get it in the mail? Really wanted to pre order that but I was broke.

Saw this unboxing video for the set on the official Twitter: https://youtu.be/SamvrYq1Wl4

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 22, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Madness invented ska The, Grateful Dead invented pot, and both of them rule.

Also the video was taken down again.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Illinois Smith posted:

Madness invented ska The, Grateful Dead invented pot, and both of them rule.

Also the video was taken down again.

No it wasn't? Link works for me.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

Saw this unboxing video for the set on the official Twitter: https://youtu.be/SamvrYq1Wl4

great mine hasnt even been shipped yet.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

tumor looking batty posted:

great mine hasnt even been shipped yet.

Apparently my tracking number updated sometime today saying it shipped over the weekend. Even though I live only a few hours from Chicago (where it shipped from), it seems to be visiting every neighboring state first (predicted delivery date Friday). Oh well. I wonder if demand was a bit higher than they expected given what numero group has been saying.

Anyways, the street date is in May I think, so it could be worse.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 23, 2015

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Tom's recording a non-live episode at Earwolf studios in LA tonight then putting it up tomorrow morning. Says it going to be a particularly special one. Exciting stuff.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Que PFT speculation

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

Que PFT speculation

I think it's safe to say Tom nuked that bridge. I won't say they'll never reconcile, but it won't be anytime in the next few years. And I say that because I know everything.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

DangerDummy! posted:

I think it's safe to say Tom nuked that bridge. I won't say they'll never reconcile, but it won't be anytime in the next few years. And I say that because I know everything.

wow it was that bad?

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

DangerDummy! posted:

Who was in the wrong? Also just tell us what happened.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

j8910 posted:

I was joking about knowing everything, but Tom made it clear a few times on his show that there was no salvaging the relationship. The only people who really know are Tom, Paul, and, I dunno, probably their wives.

Of the two of them, the only one who ever brought it up was Tom, and he'd do it in the most cryptic, passive-aggressive way possible.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Double post.

It had to do with some show they were pitching to Comedy Central. That's the only other thing everyone knows about it.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 25, 2015

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The prerecorded episode this week is pretty great. Having Wurster just hanging out in character in the studio is a totally different vibe.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

j8910 posted:

What's the backstory on this? I've only listened to the show for the past few years but it seems like everyone constantly tiptoes around this.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

What's the backstory on this? I've only listened to the show for the past few years but it seems like everyone constantly tiptoes around this.

Tom and PFT used to be good friends - Tompkins was even in studio for some of the shows most famous bits. Then one day Tom started making veiled references about some kind of backstabbing false friend and Tompkins completely vanished from the Best Shows orbit, and that was that.

Nobody really knows any more than that.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Transistor Rhythm posted:

They were working on a pilot together, then the next thing you know they're all unfriended and its hush hush. Then Tom's weird fans decided to reinforce that no one should ever ever ever under any circumstances bring it up or ask tom because its impossibly rude to even consider wondering about something Tom has mentioned repeatedly. I think some people have the idea it must be really dark or personal, the bad thing Paul F Thompkins did, but I dunno Tom's friends still work with Paul so its probably some weird Tom thing

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

How have you munches not figured it out by now? PFT slept with Tom's wife Jillian Barberie.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I mean sometimes guys who are both cool, nice people just quit getting along with each other and remain cool, nice people in general.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I heard Gary bopped one of the puppets from No, You Shut Up right in the nose.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

The Bunk posted:

I heard Gary bopped one of the puppets from No, You Shut Up right in the nose.

I heard Skeevy did some pretty unspeakable things.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Hey, a box set update!

quote:

March 30, 2015 , 10:09 am
Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility
CHICAGO, IL 60623 

March 12, 2015 , 6:59 am
Shipping Label Created
CHICAGO, IL 60623

Well.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Tom and PFT used to be good friends - Tompkins was even in studio for some of the shows most famous bits. Then one day Tom started making veiled references about some kind of backstabbing false friend and Tompkins completely vanished from the Best Shows orbit, and that was that.

Nobody really knows any more than that.

This was also around the time they were both working on a pilot for adult swim that never got picked up, i imagine that'd be a pretty good catalyst.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Tom's been doing a lot of press lately, but this is probably the best of the interviews I've seen: http://grantland.com/features/the-grantland-qa-tom-scharpling/

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Sound collage!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
For anyone still waiting on the boxset, I never got a shipping/tracking email and mine got delivered yesterday so take heart.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I always assumed the FT / Tom beef was related to that sitcom Paul's gonna star in that sounds like Fawlty Towers. Who cares though, he was a great part of the show for about four years but there's plenty of those who don't call anymore and it's not like there's some terrible shortage of PFT-related podcast content out there. Just pick a random podcast you've never heard, there's probably an episode with him on it and it will be funny.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

I always assumed the FT / Tom beef was related to that sitcom Paul's gonna star in that sounds like Fawlty Towers. Who cares though, he was a great part of the show for about four years but there's plenty of those who don't call anymore and it's not like there's some terrible shortage of PFT-related podcast content out there. Just pick a random podcast you've never heard, there's probably an episode with him on it and it will be funny.

I wish Officer Tom still called. He was the best part of the first 2-3 years, but I haven't continued my journey through the archives so I don't know when he stopped.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Bunk posted:

I wish Officer Tom still called. He was the best part of the first 2-3 years, but I haven't continued my journey through the archives so I don't know when he stopped.

He called in the final weeks of the show and it was so great to hear from him again.

Also, this is, without question, the Officer Tom high water mark.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Oh christ, Wurster's gonna be on the next Steven Universe.

I wanted this, but I don't know that I'm ready for it.

Also all of Wurster's characters are so wildly inappropriate for children, I have no idea what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

They were working on a pilot together, then the next thing you know they're all unfriended and its hush hush. Then Tom's weird fans decided to reinforce that no one should ever ever ever under any circumstances bring it up or ask tom because its impossibly rude to even consider wondering about something Tom has mentioned repeatedly. I think some people have the idea it must be really dark or personal, the bad thing Paul F Thompkins did, but I dunno Tom's friends still work with Paul so its probably some weird Tom thing

That was so ridiculous. people, including Tom acted like it was wildly inappropriate to bring up even though the only reason everyone was wondering was Tom saying passive aggressive poo poo about him on the show for months. That one was 100% Toms fault. If he had handled it differently there would have been zero drama.

Still kind of annoys me that he never just said what happened or didn't bring it up in the first place.