Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I'm not sure it qualifies as weird fiction, but Nick Cave's "And The rear end Saw The Angel" is a pretty atmospheric and Biblical-tinged southern gothic novel. The narrator is an inbred mute who is suffering seizures and twisted angelic hallucinations, and who is under constant abuse from his tiny southern religious community. Well worth a read, although it's more of a religious kind of horror than cosmic. A lot of it is written in the main character's inner monologue, so you'll need some tolerance for reading southern drawl. If you're a fan of Cave, it is absolutely obligatory reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CuddleChunks posted:

Play the game "Alan Wake", it's a lot of fun and is appropriately Lynchian weirdness. As you progress through the game you'll pick up pages of the main character's manuscript. There's a creepy novel they wrote for background to the game.

I actually have played it, and it's definitely in that vein. There were six(?) promotional videos that they released before the game came out that were probably the most Twin Peaks things I've encountered. Very creepy in a fantastic way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you want Twin Peaks: the game, go for Deadly Premonition. It's kinda better to watch it somewhere though, since the game is pretty bad. The atmosphere and presentation of the story are fantastic, however.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

If you want Twin Peaks: the game, go for Deadly Premonition. It's kinda better to watch it somewhere though, since the game is pretty bad. The atmosphere and presentation of the story are fantastic, however.

Deadly Premonition's story and atmosphere are spectacular and in some ways creepier than and superior to Twin Peaks. The actual GAMEPLAY, on the other hand...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Fortunately, SuperGreatFriend's LP of it was significantly awesome.
http://lparchive.org/Deadly-Premonition/

Well worth a watch.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Neurosis posted:

Deadly Premonition's story and atmosphere are spectacular and in some ways creepier than and superior to Twin Peaks. The actual GAMEPLAY, on the other hand...

Agent York is a fascinating take on the character of Dale Cooper, but examining why he's so interesting would get into spoilers.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
Just adding to the mention of the Subterranean Press Humble Bundle on the previous page. The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein, by Thomas Ligotti, has been added in at the beat the average tier.

I don't know if it's just because of where I live or not, but he only has 4 ebooks available on Amazon, so I hope a few more of his books appear in bundles like this.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

dihaploidy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 26, 2015

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

dihaploidy posted:

I don't know if it's just because of where I live or not, but he only has 4 ebooks available on Amazon, so I hope a few more of his books appear in bundles like this.

I counted eight available for US Kindle.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Ornamented Death posted:

I counted eight available for US Kindle.

drat, that mades me sad.

I've only got access to The Conspiracy against the Human Race, Teatro Grottesco, My Work Is Not Yet Done and Death Poems. Hopefully that changes in the future.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Looks like you don't have access to the books published by Subterranean Press. You...may want to look in to how to change the location for your Kindle so you can purchase from the US store.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Ornamented Death posted:

Looks like you don't have access to the books published by Subterranean Press. You...may want to look in to how to change the location for your Kindle so you can purchase from the US store.

Yeah I know about that setting and I've used it in the past. I'm not so sure want to do it with kindle purchases though. I have heard stories of people getting caught out by Amazon for using an Australian address/IP/card, and then having those ebooks revoked without refunds.

On a more positive and thread relevant note, I have noticed that the upcoming combined Ligotti release of Grimscribe and Songs of a Dead Dreamer do appear to be available for pre-order for me, so if his other books get that treatment, (or the ebook bundle treatment), I will be happy. Of course, as someone upthread mentioned, they may be the altered reprints, which would be disappointing, but even that would be a step up from not having access to them at all.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

ElectricWizard posted:

I'm not sure it qualifies as weird fiction, but Nick Cave's "And The rear end Saw The Angel" is a pretty atmospheric and Biblical-tinged southern gothic novel. The narrator is an inbred mute who is suffering seizures and twisted angelic hallucinations, and who is under constant abuse from his tiny southern religious community. Well worth a read, although it's more of a religious kind of horror than cosmic. A lot of it is written in the main character's inner monologue, so you'll need some tolerance for reading southern drawl. If you're a fan of Cave, it is absolutely obligatory reading.

Yeah, it's a weird book that makes you feel dirty in your soul, but probably not quite the same thing. On a shameless-self-promotion note, my band put out a heavily Lovecraft-influenced record a few years back: Weird Tales & Gonzo Sleaze . Some people might find itinteresting or enjoyable.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

El Miguel posted:

Yeah, it's a weird book that makes you feel dirty in your soul, but probably not quite the same thing. On a shameless-self-promotion note, my band put out a heavily Lovecraft-influenced record a few years back: Weird Tales & Gonzo Sleaze . Some people might find itinteresting or enjoyable.

I'm not sure about the shameless self-promotion, but this reminded me of a book I've always wanted to read:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10796760-the-damned-highway

Anyone read it? Also recall a Kerouac Lovecraft fusion that was quite decent, as I remember it.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

dihaploidy posted:

drat, that mades me sad.

I've only got access to The Conspiracy against the Human Race, Teatro Grottesco, My Work Is Not Yet Done and Death Poems. Hopefully that changes in the future.

The Spectral Link isn't worth the price he was asking when it first came out.

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!

Bolverkur posted:

I'm not sure about the shameless self-promotion, but this reminded me of a book I've always wanted to read:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10796760-the-damned-highway

Anyone read it? Also recall a Kerouac Lovecraft fusion that was quite decent, as I remember it.

The Lovecraft/Kerouac pastiche is called Move Under Ground, and the author Nick Mamatas also has a collection of all his short stories in a similar vein: http://www.innsmouthfreepress.com/blog/tb-books/the-nickronomicon/
I actually haven't gotten to The Damned Highway yet, but everything else of his I've read has been fun and rather clever. He really knows his way around an unusual narrator.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I just found that they released the Borderlands short story series on Kindle recently. Edited by Thomas F. Monteleone and Elizabeth Monteleone. I read them all in the 90's on paperback, I think they were actually published by White Wolf (of the Vampire RPG fame) at the time or something, but I think many of them fit in the weird horror genre. Some are typical 90's grimdark, but others are really good. I wanted to find them again because I remember "The Pounding Room" by Bentley Little having a big impact on me, and it still did strike me as hilarious and scary at the same time rereading it 20-some years later. I'd say give the first one a try and if you like at least some of the stories in it you might like the other 4 volumes. One thing I've noticed is that it suffers a bit from scanning, there's a lot of typos that are obvious OCR failures. But they're easy to read around.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Section 9 posted:

I just found that they released the Borderlands short story series on Kindle recently. Edited by Thomas F. Monteleone and Elizabeth Monteleone. I read them all in the 90's on paperback, I think they were actually published by White Wolf (of the Vampire RPG fame) at the time or something, but I think many of them fit in the weird horror genre. Some are typical 90's grimdark, but others are really good. I wanted to find them again because I remember "The Pounding Room" by Bentley Little having a big impact on me, and it still did strike me as hilarious and scary at the same time rereading it 20-some years later. I'd say give the first one a try and if you like at least some of the stories in it you might like the other 4 volumes. One thing I've noticed is that it suffers a bit from scanning, there's a lot of typos that are obvious OCR failures. But they're easy to read around.

Back in the 90's WW had a publishing arm that did some random short story anthology stuff. I've got a collection of Elric pastiches, "Tales of the White Wolf", that they published.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Section 9 posted:

Those are some great anthos. I only own a couple of them in paperback.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

ravenkult posted:

Those are some great anthos. I only own a couple of them in paperback.

I used to have all 5 in paperback, but borrowed them away to people I don't know anymore. There are quite a few stories I'm looking forward to reading again to see if they hold up. I remember two others that stuck with me. One about someone that was basically just a living torso, and one about a child who was just the most horrible thing on the face of the earth. I just finished reading the one about "Little brother"...still gave me chills. "Eat me."

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Yeah, I think the stories weren't always accessible, but they are far more interesting than what is coming out today (even those Best Of anthos). I should re-read these.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
White Wolf also put out a F. Marion Crawford anthology in that line, which was a pleasant surprise (though one of the stories was mistakenly cut off before the end, giving you a very real cliffhanger). I only wish they had stuck around, because they seemed dedicated to going into the lesser knowns rather than just publishing an endless sea of pastiches or what have you.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I remember a couple of novels from the same publisher and time period that I thought I got into from the Borderlands series, but looking through the indexes maybe not? William Browning Spencer. I remember Return of the Count Electric being weird and disturbing as hell. I thought I found him through Borderlands, but maybe it was just similar cover art in the horror section of Border's.

I think the Borderlands series got me started into weird horror outside of classic stuff like Lovecraft. These days I would say I think Ligotti and Cisco are much better, but reading these shorts again, they're not bad.

(Edit) Also looking over the indexes, most of my favorite stories from these are apparently from Bentley Little. Anyone read Little over the past couple years to confirm if I should buy all the books?

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 19, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Section 9 posted:

I remember a couple of novels from the same publisher and time period that I thought I got into from the Borderlands series, but looking through the indexes maybe not? William Browning Spencer. I remember Return of the Count Electric being weird and disturbing as hell. I thought I found him through Borderlands, but maybe it was just similar cover art in the horror section of Border's.

I think the Borderlands series got me started into weird horror outside of classic stuff like Lovecraft. These days I would say I think Ligotti and Cisco are much better, but reading these shorts again, they're not bad.

(Edit) Also looking over the indexes, most of my favorite stories from these are apparently from Bentley Little. Anyone read Little over the past couple years to confirm if I should buy all the books?

The put out The Riverrun Trilogy by S.P. Somtow too. They also had a Vampire: Dark Ages anthology that was fairly decent, mostly because it didn't really reference the game that much.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just finished The Imago Sequence by Laird Barron. I liked two of the novellas, the title one and also "Procession of the Black Sloth", but I thought pretty much everything else was kind of crap. He has some neat ideas, but most of the stories were so focused on the abstract/weird poo poo that they failed to tell any sort of story other than "guy encounters unknowable horror, goes crazy then dies". Has he written anything else worth reading?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Daveski posted:

I just finished The Imago Sequence by Laird Barron. I liked two of the novellas, the title one and also "Procession of the Black Sloth", but I thought pretty much everything else was kind of crap. He has some neat ideas, but most of the stories were so focused on the abstract/weird poo poo that they failed to tell any sort of story other than "guy encounters unknowable horror, goes crazy then dies". Has he written anything else worth reading?

Nope, read Brian Evenson. Windeye is a great place to start.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

fez_machine posted:

Nope, read Brian Evenson. Windeye is a great place to start.

Thanks, that looks really interesting, I'll check it out.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I've tried really hard to like Bairron but the weird Hemingway-esque hypermasculinity is just totally a insurmountable obstacle for me

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 20, 2015

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Section 9 posted:

Buy Dispatch if you can find it, all his books are more or less that same style. Generally speaking the cosmic horror ends up being beaten though, so if that isn't your thing don't bother. He's not hyper violent (unlike Laymon or Keene) and I really enjoy his stuff.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

End Of Worlds posted:

I've tried really hard to like Bairron but the weird Hemingway-esque hypermasculinity is just totally a insurmountable obstacle for me

The Croning's protagonist wasn't as far along the hypermasculinity spectrum as a lot of Barron's other protagonists, although I actually like the hypermasculinity so I might have blinders on.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I dug that one lumber camp story, up to the point where the elder things were revealed and they were kinda lame.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Section 9 posted:

I loved these books as a high school student. Haven't found them since. Good to see.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thomas F Monteleone wrote Night Train, which is a really bad book. Not the worst I've ever read, but it's everything you ever recall about 1980's sub-King horror wrapped up in a package with an awful cover.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
What's the general consensus on T.E.D. Klein's The Ceremonies? I've had it sitting around for a while but I keep putting off reading it. I loved "The Events at Poroth Farm", but none of his other short story stuff does anything for me.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Vastarien posted:

What's the general consensus on T.E.D. Klein's The Ceremonies? I've had it sitting around for a while but I keep putting off reading it. I loved "The Events at Poroth Farm", but none of his other short story stuff does anything for me.

It's...basically an expanded version of "The Events at Poroth Farm." Not exactly the same, but the structure is very similar. I would guess that if you liked the short story, you'll like the novel.

In other news, Brett Talley has written a sequel to That Which Should Not Be, titled He Who Walks in Shadow and due out in May.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I'm sure they've come up in the past in this thread, but what's everybody's opinion on the Southern Reach trilogy? I just finished the first book and enjoyed it, though I wasn't blown away by it. I've heard that the second and third books depart somewhat from the style of the original, can anybody confirm this? Is the rest of the trilogy worth a read?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It was definitely weird fiction, but it never once gave me the creeping horror feeling that Lovecraft or Barron.

If you have nothing else to read, I guess it's not bad. But I won't be re-reading it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

So I'm sure they've come up in the past in this thread, but what's everybody's opinion on the Southern Reach trilogy? I just finished the first book and enjoyed it, though I wasn't blown away by it. I've heard that the second and third books depart somewhat from the style of the original, can anybody confirm this? Is the rest of the trilogy worth a read?

Yes, the books are all very different in terms of POV and tone. Sort of three different perspectives on the meaning of Area X.

It's worth reading, but I did find that I liked the first book the best after having finished the trilogy. Still I'm glad I read the second and third, so maybe you should temper your expectations and give them a chance anyway. They are relatively quick reads, to their credit.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

MockingQuantum posted:

Authority is the best of the bunch. The third one is good but a fails to live up to it's predecessor.

edit: Authority is much more in the 'creeping horror' category.

Danger fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 30, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Rat posted:

It was definitely weird fiction, but it never once gave me the creeping horror feeling that Lovecraft or Barron.

If you have nothing else to read, I guess it's not bad. But I won't be re-reading it.

Same here, thus my hesitation. I don't always buy what Lovecraft and Barron do either, but the occasional story of theirs will still raise the hairs on the back of my neck. I think there was only one moment (or image, I guess) in Annihilation that really gave me the creeps in a fun way. Though the concept of Area X was intriguing, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

I think there was only one moment (or image, I guess) in Annihilation that really gave me the creeps in a fun way.

Was it the bit where she sees the letters being written? That's the one that sticks out most to me, some months after finishing it.