Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

vyst posted:

Is there a way natively to disable notification sounds when a bluetooth headset is connected - it's weird to have notification sounds come through on the device and the headset.

Nope, that's a Samsung feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Yo save up some money and get the woman who gave you life a better phone, you loving hobo.

Heh, found a new unlocked Moto X 2013 for a killer price and got that for her. :dukedog:

I'm actually kinda jealous. That was the phone I was heavily considering before the announcement of the iPhone 6/6Plus. I might have to, uh, borrow it for a week or so to, uh, test it out or something.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
2 weeks out from the galaxy s6 street date and t mobile preorders have started receiving them already. I think this is even beating the Note 4 record.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The S6 Edge is amazing to hold. Really going to be tough not to pick one up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes anyway:

Whenever I copy a video from my computer to my phone (Galaxy s5), it asks to convert it first. This increases the time it takes to transfer, which has occasionally caused timeouts (Windows seems to think the phone becomes disconnected, which it isn't, no idea why).

What specific format / whatever-you-want-to-calls-it is the phone looking for?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

PBCrunch posted:

I accepted the Lollipop update on my Sprint Note 4 a while ago. Battery life seems to be OK, but the Wifi is atrocious. I know my Wifi is working because other devices can connect and access internet resources.

My phone can connect to Wifi, and it will work for a few minutes, but eventually the Wifi stops working.

I can still ping/SSH/RDP machines on my local network, so I know I am connected.
I can connect to internet resources by IP address.
Using PingTools I can ping google.com, but no other 'named' addresses.
I tried setting up my Wifi connection with static IP and static DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.8.4, but still no dice.

I have tried deleting the settings for my router on my phone, but that does not work. The only thing that gets the Wifi to run again is to reboot the phone, and then the Wifi only works properly for a few minutes. Sprint-provided data is unaffected by this problem. Rebooting the router does not work. Other devices connect and use the router's connection with no problems.

Any ideas?

I'm in the same boat on this one, nothing I can think of has worked and the problem is specific to the phone as multiple devices use the wifi fine, and I tested connections with 3 different wifi routers. I think Lollipop is loving something up.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes anyway:

Whenever I copy a video from my computer to my phone (Galaxy s5), it asks to convert it first. This increases the time it takes to transfer, which has occasionally caused timeouts (Windows seems to think the phone becomes disconnected, which it isn't, no idea why).

What specific format / whatever-you-want-to-calls-it is the phone looking for?

Q: does the video have subtitles?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Have you tried not converting it and seeing if it works it says that for FLAC files for me but I have native support so I just ignore it
Cccp for windows . I use vlc for Android because I don't know any better yet.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What are you using to copy it? You should be able to move any file you like over with MTP or Airdroid or whatever, whether you can play it is down to your video app

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MTP in windows will do this with files it doesn't recognize. It's not the device driving this, it's the OS.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lblitzer posted:

The S6 Edge is amazing to hold. Really going to be tough not to pick one up.

When I read that you can uninstall every Samsung app because they let you reinstall it later from either play store or the samsung app store, was pleasantly surprised. Who knows if Samsung will finally make a decent skin :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

What are you using to copy it? You should be able to move any file you like over with MTP or Airdroid or whatever, whether you can play it is down to your video app

Oh my God, I never knew about this ap. Got the transfer done in ~5 minutes, max. Thank you so much! I'm assuming the Data Limits it cites is only about doing transfers non-locally?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

I'm thinking about reverting the OS on my Note 4 to 4.4.4 using the process outlined here. Are there reputable places to get 4.4.4 firmware? Want to avoid flashing my phone with adulterated firmware.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
New Z4 is apparently a 5.1" device with 1080p and a Snapdragon 810. Depending on what the next Nexus turns out to be (I'm mildly optimistic if LG is indeed involved) and whether the 810 is a clusterfuck or not, this'll probably be my next one.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I'm not in a big hurry to replace my Nexus 5 but it will be neat if the new one has Qualcomm's 3D fingerprint scanner and does something cool with it like putting it behind the screen. Really all they have to do to get me to buy the new one is not make it clown-sized.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Aside from :samsung: is there a reason no one is really excited about the S6? It seems to have all the right things, a great camera with OIS, reasonably waterproof and wireless charging. Life hasn't been kind to my Nexus 5 and it could use a replacement soon, with a good camera and not-phablet being the main two criteria. I travel a lot so a world phone is a huge plus, which is pushing me towards an iphone 6. Is there a summary of the bands the S6 supports somewhere?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

spoof posted:

Aside from :samsung: is there a reason no one is really excited about the S6? It seems to have all the right things, a great camera with OIS, reasonably waterproof and wireless charging. Life hasn't been kind to my Nexus 5 and it could use a replacement soon, with a good camera and not-phablet being the main two criteria. I travel a lot so a world phone is a huge plus, which is pushing me towards an iphone 6. Is there a summary of the bands the S6 supports somewhere?

Basically TouchWiz has been a thorn in Android's side for several years in various ways. Samsung would flood phones with their own apps to "enhance" your Samsung experience, the interface was a bit too bubbly and corny, and some devices have a large amount of confusing choices when it comes to settings and customization.

There's a lot of good words going around on the toned-down version of Touchwiz in the S6, which is great news because they've always been regarded as great devices otherwise. The S6 looks incredible imo and is probably going to be the device to beat this generation. The M9 looks more or less like the same thing minus some criticism with the processor they're using. The G4 is more or less rumors so far.

Otherwise there is the likes of the Nexus 6 and the high end Motorola devices.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MisterBibs posted:

Oh my God, I never knew about this ap. Got the transfer done in ~5 minutes, max. Thank you so much! I'm assuming the Data Limits it cites is only about doing transfers non-locally?

Uhhhh I don't know, but MTP is loving awful I know that!

If you mean Airdroid I only ever used the lite version, never signed up or anything. I just use it on my wifi :shobon: They might have data limits if you're going through their servers

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

spoof posted:

Aside from :samsung: is there a reason no one is really excited about the S6?
I simply don't like the external design of Samsung phones. Even with the S6, which took more cues from the iPhone, it just doesn't work. The diameter of the bends and rounded corners, the ratio between top and side bezels and such. They just look wrong to me. Plus the camera hump looks just tacky.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
After about 28 months or so i'm looking to replace my Nexus 4 for around the same price point although could afford more for a convincing reason.. is any reason I shouldn't go for the S5 with the S6 around the corner knocking down prices? The N5 is another option but I feel the N6 will just be too big. The S6/Edge looks super sexy though. Thoughts?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Spoondick posted:

I'm thinking about reverting the OS on my Note 4 to 4.4.4 using the process outlined here. Are there reputable places to get 4.4.4 firmware? Want to avoid flashing my phone with adulterated firmware.

Sammobile.com

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ed balls balls man posted:

After about 28 months or so i'm looking to replace my Nexus 4 for around the same price point although could afford more for a convincing reason.. is any reason I shouldn't go for the S5 with the S6 around the corner knocking down prices? The N5 is another option but I feel the N6 will just be too big. The S6/Edge looks super sexy though. Thoughts?

For $300 phones I really think you're not going to beat the Moto X.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think you are going to have the same sort of tepid response to almost any new phone releases at this point because nothing about them is a huge leap over the flagships that were launched in the final half of 2014.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ruby idiot railed posted:

For $300 phones I really think you're not going to beat the Moto X.

In in love with mine. Silky smooth!

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

Basically TouchWiz has been a thorn in Android's side for several years in various ways. Samsung would flood phones with their own apps to "enhance" your Samsung experience, the interface was a bit too bubbly and corny, and some devices have a large amount of confusing choices when it comes to settings and customization.

There's a lot of good words going around on the toned-down version of Touchwiz in the S6, which is great news because they've always been regarded as great devices otherwise. The S6 looks incredible imo and is probably going to be the device to beat this generation. The M9 looks more or less like the same thing minus some criticism with the processor they're using. The G4 is more or less rumors so far.

Otherwise there is the likes of the Nexus 6 and the high end Motorola devices.

I played with the Note 4 and it was still too 'wizzy so hopefully the S6 edition is even closer to vanilla. I've had an N1, N4 and N5 so I obviously prefer the stock experience but the N6 and others in its size class just feed too big to me. I don't want to balance it on my fingers or use it two-handed to get complete touch coverage of the screen. I looked into the Z3c but its lauded camera was severely outclassed by both S6 and iphone 6. I've been waiting for the Z4 refresh as the last interesting contender but not holding my breath. It's surprising that Samsung and Apple can both get better images out of Sony sensors than Sony.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
I was looking forward to the HTC One M9 to replace my M7, after the latest arstechnica review of it I'm thinking maybe I should just get a M8 instead. :(

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Note 4 with lollipop has been just fine for me so far, but I am getting inconsistent performance on google maps, particularly when using navigation. It seems to lose a GPS fix randomly, but when I open another app that uses GPS like Osmand, I will get a lock from GPS and it will track me fine on the map. This didn't happen before lollipop as far as I remember and google searching tells me that I am a fringe case (or nobody has reported it). Seriously debating how to deal with this, its a little frustrating. Samsung'd..

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Combat Pretzel posted:

New Z4 is apparently a 5.1" device with 1080p and a Snapdragon 810. Depending on what the next Nexus turns out to be (I'm mildly optimistic if LG is indeed involved) and whether the 810 is a clusterfuck or not, this'll probably be my next one.

Any word on built in Qi charging? I'm probably going to be making the same choice when the Next nexus (nextus?) is announced.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Note 4 with lollipop has been just fine for me so far, but I am getting inconsistent performance on google maps, particularly when using navigation. It seems to lose a GPS fix randomly, but when I open another app that uses GPS like Osmand, I will get a lock from GPS and it will track me fine on the map. This didn't happen before lollipop as far as I remember and google searching tells me that I am a fringe case (or nobody has reported it). Seriously debating how to deal with this, its a little frustrating. Samsung'd..

Why not use Here Maps? Imo it's a much better navigation app plus you can use it offline!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lblitzer posted:

Why not use Here Maps? Imo it's a much better navigation app plus you can use it offline!

This. Here maps is fantastic both on Windows Phone 8.1 (it is a Nokia app afterall) and the android counterpart. Just download the maps you need and unless you're interested on the traffic and that stuff, it doesn't use data at all.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

What is the deal with the OTA 5.1 for the Nexus 6? I know I could computerjanitor the newest image onto my phone if I blow it all away by unlocking the bootloader, loading, flashing, relocking, etc, but it would be much better for the loving OTA to come through natural means. This is a Google Play phone on a Verizon sim.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Turnquiet posted:

What is the deal with the OTA 5.1 for the Nexus 6? I know I could computerjanitor the newest image onto my phone if I blow it all away by unlocking the bootloader, loading, flashing, relocking, etc, but it would be much better for the loving OTA to come through natural means. This is a Google Play phone on a Verizon sim.

Carriers can still control when OTAs happen. You could try turning off the phone, pulling the SIM and turning it back on, then checking for OTA again. If that doesn't work, well, you got Verizoned.

Google probably HAD to do it this way because they can't withhold ALL Android devices from uncooperative carriers the way Apple can withhold ALL iOS devices from uncooperative carriers, but that doesn't mean I can't be upset about it.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Odd... I got 5.0.1 on Verizon. Heck, Verizon's own variant even launched at 5.1. Worth a shot since it is pretty effortless to try popping the sim.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
As long as you haven't hosed with your phone and rooted it or done other stuff, it is really simple to download the OTA and sideload it using "adb update." That keeps all your data in place and is identical to waiting to get the OTA, except you don't have to wait.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RVProfootballer posted:

As long as you haven't hosed with your phone and rooted it or done other stuff, it is really simple to download the OTA and sideload it using "adb update." That keeps all your data in place and is identical to waiting to get the OTA, except you don't have to wait.

Good point.

Note that the Factory Images page will not give you the OTA. Good news: They're all signed images you download from a .google.com subdomain. Bad news: They aren't publicly listed anywhere so you have to comb a site like Android Police for the appropriate link and make sure the device, current version and target version all match. At least it should fail gracefully if they don't.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Cool, so can I do this with a locked bootloader? I'll gladly wait if there's any chance of this causing me to re-setup my phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RZA Encryption posted:

Cool, so can I do this with a locked bootloader?
Yes. If you've gotten ADB working then you've already done the hard part.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

butt dickus posted:

Yes. If you've gotten ADB working then you've already done the hard part.

I guess it is a good thing that I am so far out of the custom rom flashing scene/phone janitoring shitshow that I didn't know this was an option.

Google link for latest OTA for Nexus 6 : http://android.clients.google.com/p...C-fullradio.zip

Instructions for non-destructive OTA flash with locked bootloader: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-upgrade-your-nexus#slide5

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ok, definetely time for an upgrade...probably going to go with either a Nexus 6 or 2014 Moto X.

My M7 has taken too many hits on hard floors:

The top piece of the bezel/speaker grill is peeling off more and more. So much dust and crud is inside of there that the front camera a nearly useless. An example picture:

The battery is also on its way out...even mild use leaves me with 20-30% at the end of the day...just a few months ago i would be much closer to 50%. On Saturday, I unplugged my phone around 11 AM, and by 10 PM it was already at 7% with almost no use. I was in a bad cell reception area, but also on wifi, so most of my services should have been using that connection anyway.

And lastly, on a recent trip, I was less careful than I usually am and was using it on a few beaches without having it in a plastic baggie like I typically do, and a small pebble got lodged in the headphone port:

You can kind of make it out in this picture.

I have a set of Bluetooth headphones, so for the most part it's not a big deal, but I made the plane trip back a lot worse because I DIDN'T bring them with me on vacation, because I didn't want to risk losing them.

It's been a long time since I've had to be on a plane without being able to tune out all the poo poo around me...and the headphones I did have had a microphone in them, so I couldn't even plug them into the plane's TV and music system. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Is there any way to downgrade my galaxy s5 to whatever firmware it was on before? This new one sucks. I can't change songs on the lock screen, apps constantly crashing, messages border is loving bright orange for some reason and can't be changed, and now it runs super slow, ugh.