Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Order 3, misfortune 1 is my baseline for most nations. I'll go misfortune 2 when I really need the points, but sometimes that backfires, like in Antlion where the Shattered Throne is next to my cap, turning everything into misfortune 3. I think I've had to fight off more than a dozen attacks from barbarians and undead so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
And you'll have to fight even more when somebody claims thrones of bones/beasts/gaia :argh:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

It actually works great with order, too. You get a lot of high-gold events, and even though the random event chance is slightly reduced, the quality of them makes up for it.

D3L3 is probably not worth it ever as a 'stock' choice, unless you're one of the heavy domkill nations (so not Asphodel) who gets a jillion pretender points and needs all the gold and gems it can randomly obtain.

Luck + Order also has a bunch of free +PD events and at least one free +fort event, that said high order does also contain the 'the people grow tired of your oppressive rule, lose a province!' event which is kind of sucky. But yeah Luck in general is A Good Thing.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
This post is shameful advertising for a new newbie game:

I am new at this

Join in if you barely know what you are doing and are afraid to join the big boys.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Beef posted:

This post is shameful advertising for a new newbie game:

I am new at this

Join in if you barely know what you are doing and are afraid to join the big boys.

I've only played one game, i can join, right?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
This post is equally shameless advertising for idiot game: we need a bunch more players, so :rms: already

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alumnus Post posted:

This post is equally shameless advertising for idiot game: we need a bunch more players, so :rms: already

I'd say worry about starting dunce game sometime this century before worrying about idiot game.

GMarshal posted:

I've only played one game, i can join, right?

lol. Yes you qualify. "Noob" status is a little nebulous but it's at least like three games, maybe 4-5 if you spent those three just getting your poo poo pushed in or 1000 games if you are Neruz.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

I'd say worry about starting dunce game sometime this century before worrying about idiot game.

lol. Yes you qualify. "Noob" status is a little nebulous but it's at least like three games, maybe 4-5 if you spent those three just getting your poo poo pushed in or 1000 games if you are Neruz.

I recently got up to second place in a normal game, so if you ever see my name listed in a newbie-game, you can simply assume my stressful life finally made me snap and go insane.

As long as someone doesn't reach that lofty peak of incompetence, they'll qualify. I, on the other hand, will never be a newbie again.

I'm not Neruz, you could say. :smugbird:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm still alive in DomOnSale, do I qualify as a newbie? :v:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Made a small mod that should remove upkeep costs from all researchable spell summoned creatures. It also makes the various Yomi troops summonable by Yomi, like they are by Shinuyama and Jomon.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Are there any summons with upkeep other than trolls?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jabarto posted:

Are there any summons with upkeep other than trolls?

Most of the oni and naga summons, and the Kailasa capital commanders (who are also summonable). Valkyries too. And a decent number of others, about 40 total.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Most summons that are also recruitable have upkeep because you just summon the recruitable version.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Neruz posted:

Most summons that are also recruitable have upkeep because you just summon the recruitable version.

Yea, that's what I fixed. I made costless copies of them and made the spells summon those instead.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey here's a request. The Cataclysm mod is pretty drat fun, I love how every game you play with it is random as hell and you never know what mages and troops you'll find in those first 10-15 turns which will shape your game.

However it's kind of out of date with the last few patches, especially having no sites that allow recruitment from the Xibalba or Nazca factions. I also figure there could be a lot more sites allowing recruitment or summons of a lot of the special nation specific units.

Would anybody with modding experience be interested in updating the mod to include more of the most recent additions to the game?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How are u posted:

Hey here's a request. The Cataclysm mod is pretty drat fun, I love how every game you play with it is random as hell and you never know what mages and troops you'll find in those first 10-15 turns which will shape your game.

However it's kind of out of date with the last few patches, especially having no sites that allow recruitment from the Xibalba or Nazca factions. I also figure there could be a lot more sites allowing recruitment or summons of a lot of the special nation specific units.

Would anybody with modding experience be interested in updating the mod to include more of the most recent additions to the game?

Elmokki actually did this. I have the latest rev which was updated like 12/2014 because he's a machine. Once piggypoopballs is over I will host another though if people want to start before that, I am not the sole arbiter of cata games.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hey new people and everyone who may have tuned out of my LP due to my horrifically infrequent updates! I'm approaching the end, so if you're the impatient type now would probably be a good time to tune in!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679215

Go laugh at my utter incompetence and learn what not to do :sun:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

We UW patch now. Well, now as in "in the works now". Actually the past patch already had a few touches about UW stuff, like subtle changes to some items and units.

quote:

2015-04-02 00:07:04 +0200
EA/MA Pelagia nation descr changes
Pelagian Mystic
Descr changes to MA Pelagian mermen
Bronze weapons for some more units
Mermen hoplites

2015-03-31 23:13:42 +0200
Iron armaments rust in the sea
Rust permanent until repaired
Damaged weapons/armors lower dmg/prot

Bone tribe barbarians and shamans
New poptypes: Ichtyid shaman, Bone Tribe barbarians
New mermen/ichtyid sites
Mermage & Pelagian Mermage remake
Pelagian Explorer
Altered Descriptions
Enkidu Headhunter & Bone Tribe Headhunter Club -> Skull Club
EA Pelagia Hero
Turtle Warriors Javelin -> Coral Tipped Javelin

2015-03-30 20:35:07 +0200

2015-03-30 20:32:24 +0200
Ichtyid Shaman
New Pelagian coastal recruits
Mermage/priest sprite remade
New 'rusty armor' icons

In bolded, it seems the "ferrous" type of weapons finally will have a gameplay effect. Is the "repair" thing a commander action to do in the strategic map that will consume the turn?
Apart from that, it seems Pelagia will be the first reformed.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I think the way repairing works now is that you put your units in a fort and if that fort has spare resources at the end of the turn (you're not using them to recruit troops) the resources go toward repairing the troops' broken weapons and armour (up to however many spare resources you have).

It could actually be something else entirely because I've never seen it happen. I cast rust mist once

I wonder if "damaged weapons/armor lower dmg/prot" means changes to the way Iron Bane works. Right now it rusts everyone's armour and makes it fall off after a hit, right?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boing posted:

I think the way repairing works now is that you put your units in a fort and if that fort has spare resources at the end of the turn (you're not using them to recruit troops) the resources go toward repairing the troops' broken weapons and armour (up to however many spare resources you have).

It could actually be something else entirely because I've never seen it happen. I cast rust mist once

I wonder if "damaged weapons/armor lower dmg/prot" means changes to the way Iron Bane works. Right now it rusts everyone's armour and makes it fall off after a hit, right?

Uh. I didn't know that was a thing. I thought the rust effects were just effects limited to that battle.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Uh. I didn't know that was a thing. I thought the rust effects were just effects limited to that battle.

Currently yes. You rust their armor and it does nothing if it doesn't get broken by something in that battle. If it ends up broken then you have to wait for it to repair as boing mentioned.

I'm hoping UW patch isn't "even more impossible to attack UW nations. UW nations still stupid shitbad nations that are mostly irrelevant in their piss oceans no one cares about"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Fuckin A. Move them all onto land. All of them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The interesting thing I see here is that currently I don't believe weapon damaging exists in the game, right? Just armor breaking. If things like Destruction and Iron Bane start affecting metal weapons as well as armor that could be significant for certain nations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they should just remove oceania. who the gently caress plays oceania.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

This reminds me, can't you just make custom maps with like 90% water? Of course, this doesn't help the core of the problem and negates a lot of the game, thanks to the strange meta-rules governing underwater-provinces, but it could make a neat gimmick-game with uw-nations only.

(Also someone should check next time we're doing this if a pseudo-uw nation like LA Atlantis converted to pure uw-nation actually has scouts underwater. :mad:)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I believe such a game has been played by people here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

No they should just glue Oceania and Pelagia back together into a single faction that has enough units to not make you want to cut your wrists every time you build some tragic kelp enclosure and end up getting your 10g7r troops with a shield and light armour FOREVER.

And also put in on land.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

I believe such a game has been played by people here.

And I'm still bitter about not having scouts and I guess that one guy getting imprisoned by deep sea mountains also was quite miffed. But overall, it was fun!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

And I'm still bitter about not having scouts and I guess that one guy getting imprisoned by deep sea mountains also was quite miffed. But overall, it was fun!
You could've modded scouts in easily :negative:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

You could've modded scouts in easily :negative:

Tell that to the weirdo who made the mod, I was just a player.

Edit:

Besides, the mountains were the greater problem. Thanks to the way temperatures and mountain passes interact underwater and the deep sea borders being counted as mountains, we had players essentially cut off from the rest of the map forever.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I have only played EA Atlantis and LA R'lyeh but I most certainly do not feel irrelevant.

In both of those games my largest problem is dragging my mages and troops where I need them. I could probably deal with only getting my mages uw but the mm1 everywhere makes it awful to play. My second largest problem is the lack of indie scouts uw.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

your highest aspiration as an underwater nation is to make life hell for the other nations. you will not win. oceania doesn't even have any aspirations because they suck so much and they can't even crank out wishes like pelagia.

remove oceania 2015

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the underwater patch probably won't make underwater nations fun or viable, but it'll definitely make attacking them even more annoying

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samog posted:

the underwater patch probably won't make underwater nations fun or viable, but it'll definitely make attacking them even more annoying

What it will mostly do is buff Iron Bane and Rust Mist to be amazing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Absum posted:

I have only played EA Atlantis and LA R'lyeh but I most certainly do not feel irrelevant.
OK but now try MA Oceania. hf gl

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

OK but now try MA Oceania. hf gl

Amphibious Pangea But All My Units Have Worse Stats :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
And anything interesting or thematic costs like 25 resources which is just not feasible in many UW provinces even under Prod.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

And anything interesting or thematic costs like 25 resources which is just not feasible in many UW provinces even under Prod.

Those high res units have coral armor which is literally the worst armor in the game.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Basically everything is wrong with the nation and also, relatedly, the quite-nice looking maps like Streamlands and so on which come with the game that have gently caress all resources for UW nations to take advantage of.

Plus those nations will never be good or interesting until UW nations get proper land recruit slots. If they have to be underwater, at least 5 com and unit slots would be fan-dabby-dozy, rather than a couple of coastal slots which mean most land provinces are just Some Indies to you, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

even pelagia has a remotely enjoyable gimmick in the form of having astral pearls goddamn everywhere, which let you do all sorts of goofy poo poo. oceania has legitimately no reason to exist and i'd rather they just removed it instead of trying to put effort towards 'fixing' it which they could just put towards the three underwater nations that have something going for them.

• Locked thread