Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

why do people make gifs of almost whole videos now

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Typical Yosposter posted:

just don’t vote, thats how i do it

gently caress that. the state sends me a ballot in the mail, i'm gonna fuckin fill it out and mail it back in

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
dunno who the gently caress this RAYMO SMOOKELS guy is but he's been voting Pacific Green for the past six years and damned if he's gonna stop now

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Boxturret posted:

why do people make gifs of almost whole videos now

um excuse me that's a gifv

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
vif

very insertion force

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JawnV6 posted:

vif

very insertion force

such processor

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

born on a buy you posted:

stop quoting stymie you idiots

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

stymies only crime is this shouldnt be the thread for this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol if you vote

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Welcome to the exciting world of the Silicon Valley derived 'Holacracy', Zappos workers, or take a severance package!

What is Holacracy, you ask? Let's first get a brief primer by way of Re/Code, then take a look at the all important holacracy FAQ.

Holacracy (as designed by a software development company) combines the best parts of workplace management with the best parts of software engineering! Are you excited yet to see what new horrors await? Let's dive in!

"Job titles in a Holacracy-powered company are largely meaningless, though some companies still choose to use them just so the outside world has something they recognize and understand. But within the company, they are totally irrelevant when it comes to power, authority, etc. Instead, people are assigned to one or several Roles. Roles represent a function of work (e.g. "Social Media Marketing" role), even though unlike a job description, roles don't need to represent a 40h/week amount of work (e.g. "Webinar Presenter" role) .

It's true, there are no "managers" with Holacracy. Some of the work typically done by managers is now baked into the system itself (e.g., deciding who is accountable for what, which is done via the governance process in Holacracy). Some other work typically done by managers still needs to get done, but instead of centralizing it all into one job, it is broken down and clearly defined into Roles. Finally, there is a core role in each circle called the Lead Link, which by default includes several accountabilities typically attributed to managers (e.g., assigning people to roles in the circle, or resource allocation)."

Yes, I may SOUND like a manager, but in reality, I am a Lead Link! Also, being in a 'Holacracy' means that you can not talk about personal things, and in the case of Zappos, must be agreeable to absolute quantification of social interaction.

The Downtown Project’s basic premise is that socializing (“colliding”) makes people more successful and more innovative. If this is true, then your time at the bar or walking down a crowded street or meeting someone for a date (Level 1, 2 and 3 collisions, respectively) can be mapped onto the profits of your startup. Their plan is: To track entrepreneurs, they will follow their movements via cellphones, and task the Downtown Project private police force (“The Rangers”) with monitoring body language and behavior (Did you wave hello? Did you hug or shake hands?). Your startup’s performance (How good were sales this month?) will be added to the data mix.

Also, according to the FAQ, In one situation, you might have authority over your colleague's role, and in another situation, your colleague might have authority over your role.

This won't lead to problems! But things will be ok - just remember to always trust Tony and the Zappos way, because, as the Re/Code article above states, “Tony keeps it tight, keeps it within the llama.”.

(lol if this won't die a hilarious death as call center workers set their own hours. I wonder how Amazon will deal with that?)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pappyland posted:

Welcome to the exciting world of the Silicon Valley derived 'Holacracy', Zappos workers, or take a severance package!

What is Holacracy, you ask? Let's first get a brief primer by way of Re/Code, then take a look at the all important holacracy FAQ.

Holacracy (as designed by a software development company) combines the best parts of workplace management with the best parts of software engineering! Are you excited yet to see what new horrors await? Let's dive in!

"Job titles in a Holacracy-powered company are largely meaningless, though some companies still choose to use them just so the outside world has something they recognize and understand. But within the company, they are totally irrelevant when it comes to power, authority, etc. Instead, people are assigned to one or several Roles. Roles represent a function of work (e.g. "Social Media Marketing" role), even though unlike a job description, roles don't need to represent a 40h/week amount of work (e.g. "Webinar Presenter" role) .

It's true, there are no "managers" with Holacracy. Some of the work typically done by managers is now baked into the system itself (e.g., deciding who is accountable for what, which is done via the governance process in Holacracy). Some other work typically done by managers still needs to get done, but instead of centralizing it all into one job, it is broken down and clearly defined into Roles. Finally, there is a core role in each circle called the Lead Link, which by default includes several accountabilities typically attributed to managers (e.g., assigning people to roles in the circle, or resource allocation)."

Yes, I may SOUND like a manager, but in reality, I am a Lead Link! Also, being in a 'Holacracy' means that you can not talk about personal things, and in the case of Zappos, must be agreeable to absolute quantification of social interaction.

The Downtown Project’s basic premise is that socializing (“colliding”) makes people more successful and more innovative. If this is true, then your time at the bar or walking down a crowded street or meeting someone for a date (Level 1, 2 and 3 collisions, respectively) can be mapped onto the profits of your startup. Their plan is: To track entrepreneurs, they will follow their movements via cellphones, and task the Downtown Project private police force (“The Rangers”) with monitoring body language and behavior (Did you wave hello? Did you hug or shake hands?). Your startup’s performance (How good were sales this month?) will be added to the data mix.

Also, according to the FAQ, In one situation, you might have authority over your colleague's role, and in another situation, your colleague might have authority over your role.

This won't lead to problems! But things will be ok - just remember to always trust Tony and the Zappos way, because, as the Re/Code article above states, “Tony keeps it tight, keeps it within the llama.”.

(lol if this won't die a hilarious death as call center workers set their own hours. I wonder how Amazon will deal with that?)

so a matrix org

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pappyland posted:

this was tackled in the article

call center workers are governed by an "open market" system which determines both their (practical) hours and their wages. it was already being gamed on day one

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
zappos people are basically cult members that only interact with other zappos members. to the point they had to tell them to stop wearing company gear while going out becuase it was nothing but people in zappos shirts talking to other people in zappos shirts in the down town project

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

so a matrix org

Not according to Medium! Look at this chart!

(I'm the arrow labeled 'stuff')

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
tony hsieh also abanadoned the downtown project because it turns out it had no real goal and was just wasting money

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm sure las vegas is a great place to operate a call center

i'm not so sure it's a great place to build a walkable neighborhood filled with tech startups and coffee shops

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this is a thing of beauty.

i always love to watch social engineering at the hands of people who have no concept of human behaviour

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 30, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

loooooooooooool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how many times can nerds fail to learn the same lesson about how anarchic social principles don't actually work in real life, at least not if your intention is to accomplish anything

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

zappos people are basically cult members that only interact with other zappos members. to the point they had to tell them to stop wearing company gear while going out becuase it was nothing but people in zappos shirts talking to other people in zappos shirts in the down town project

they basically all live in the same two buildings also

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

time to sciz

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

how many times can nerds fail to learn the same lesson about how anarchic social principles don't actually work in real life, at least not if your intention is to accomplish anything

does this mean zappos is turning into Noisebridge Las Vegas?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

goretex is making it work

anyone from outside the company interacting with them describes it as terrible, but internally they're apparently quite content?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
zappos actually has managers that do management tihng htey just like to act as if they're not. any output from zappos about their internal structure is marketing so consumers feel like they're helping a liberal company

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

does this mean zappos is turning into Noisebridge Las Vegas?

did you look at the re/code article? it already has, for exactly the reasons you'd expect.

and some folks killed themselves too

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pinterest Mom posted:

you should call people what they want to be called, calling him a name he hasn't used since he was six is some dog whistle "he ain't like us" bullshit

i guess you can take the boy out of arkansas, but you can't take the arkansas out of the boy

somebody's already said it in the pages i'm skipping, but just in case:

barack hussein obama
rafael edward cruz

on one hand, i want to rub their nose in "rafael", but it's just not right :argh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

goretex is making it work

anyone from outside the company interacting with them describes it as terrible, but internally they're apparently quite content?

i have no idea what goretex is doing but if it resembles holocracy in anything more than a vaguely passing manner i can guarantee it won't last for long

it's not like this is the first, or even fiftieth time someone has tried to take the "politics" out of organization and human interaction. it literally never works. and almost always for the same reason.

the politics are an emergent property of the interaction of people, you can factor them in, manage them, but you can not remove them without removing all the people as well

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Stymie posted:

what would you call it :allears:

i'm not going to write your loving posts for you

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

don't care, i'm voting third party anyway like i did last election

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAT_BuJAI70

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

loooooooooooool

*turns out to be a hobby/papercraft service where they will drive a van full of paper cutters to your home*

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
time to have a cuppa

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zappos actually has managers that do management tihng htey just like to act as if they're not. any output from zappos about their internal structure is marketing so consumers feel like they're helping a liberal company

no poo poo. of course they do, if they didn't they wouldn't be a company for long.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

time to have a cuppa

time to use an internet sex app to help me find someone to go have a coffee with me

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

This is exactly how it was when I worked at Zappos when holacracy was implemented. We technically didn't have supervisors but everyone was doing what they were before just with new names. He just recently sent an email out that he wants things to truly change and that severance offer is mostly for managers that will lose a lot of their pay and power starting next year if they stay. Zappos has a lot of managers that do nothing.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this was tackled in the article

call center workers are governed by an "open market" system which determines both their (practical) hours and their wages. it was already being gamed on day one

Yep. No one comes in on Mondays and apparently there's always a 5-10 minute hold time to speak with someone. A lot of people are now working the minimum hours required to keep their health insurance.

Most people have lost faith in Hsieh and at their last quarterly meeting like half the company left early and he sent out a pissy email the next day.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

eric posted:

there's always a 5-10 minute hold time to speak with someone.
its their focus on the customer above all else that makes zappos really shine

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

its their focus on the customer above all else that makes zappos really shine

I still can't believe Amazon hasn't stepped in yet and taken over.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eric posted:

Yep. No one comes in on Mondays and apparently there's always a 5-10 minute hold time to speak with someone. A lot of people are now working the minimum hours required to keep their health insurance.

Most people have lost faith in Hsieh and at their last quarterly meeting like half the company left early and he sent out a pissy email the next day.

hmm, yes, we'll just make these hundreds of people responsible to themselves and each other. that will surely take care of all of our management and resource allocation issues

what do you mean no one wants to work?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

hmm, yes, we'll just make these hundreds of people responsible to themselves and each other. that will surely take care of all of our management and resource allocation issues

what do you mean no one wants to work?

LOL every time they try something like this it backfires horribly. They probably know they shouldn't have done it but it was response to the growing anger over lack of pay raises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

i have no idea what goretex is doing but if it resembles holocracy in anything more than a vaguely passing manner i can guarantee it won't last for long

been going for over 50 years, so

• Locked thread