Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

FrozenVent posted:

also you might notice that we don't remove snow by melting it. I wonder if there's a reason for that.

oh yeah it's because once it's run off it freezes again and now you're stuck with a solid block of ice

also because the energy cost of converting snow into water is enormous

i'm guessing the difference between melting the snow on a runway and simply shoveling it may add up to... uh... several hundred mined bitcoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

thinking of a Canadian winter, there is just no way you get enough energy from the seven hours of sunlight we might get if there's no cloud to melt the ten inches of snow that fell over night when it's like -20 out

also you might notice that we don't remove snow by melting it. I wonder if there's a reason for that.

oh yeah it's because once it's run off it freezes again and now you're stuck with a solid block of ice

they probably do use melters somewhere in canada, likely just airports and downtown toronto but thats technically correct!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the only place melters are used are in situations like boston this winter at snowfarms where there is literally no alternative

maybe on runways after a thorough plowing?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

solar roadways are bafflingly dumb and im sad my facebook friends stopped posting about them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like, roads are already black. they're really good at converting sunlight into heat. ever step on one in the summer?

still not enough to keep themselves melted.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

um, both things completely solved by SOLAR FREAKIN ROADWAYS

I loving love science!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey, won't thousands and thousands of vehicles a day grinding debris into glass scratch it and ruin its transmittance? no, because the tiny slab i built where i test 4-wheelers gingerly going 5 mph hasn't had any problems. do you really have leds that can be seen well enough in full daylight to replace traffic lines? yes they definitely exist and the fact that i only take pictures of them at night is purely coincidental. how would dynamically allocating handicapped spaces work anyways if the cars are already parked? if melting snow off roadways is so easy and cheap, why do only rich people have heated driveways? does glass have enough traction for a roadway? even when wet? oh yeah it's deffo safe, i told you about that 10 by 10 slab i have where i have obviously been testing highway speeds.

I loving love science.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ifl science as well

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that loving solar road bullshit is a great conversational mine canary to determine if you should be talking to someone

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

As a Millennial I posted:

why don't we put solar panels on top of airplanes? they're above the clouds where it's always sunny. I can't believe nobody has ever thought of this before, but then again I am pretty smart, since I work in Computers

solar panels on top of electric cars. they'll power themselves, and you can sell the extra electricity. the electricity would be transferred wirelessly (I read about this in Wired) to batteries built into the roads

somehow I posted these in the wrong thread. I now bring these posts to you. enjoy

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?

uncurable mlady posted:

that loving solar road bullshit is a great conversational mine canary to determine if you should be talking to someone

also good for dadchat if your dad has any kind of engineering experience

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

"how much did they get for this worthless idea?"

"2 million dollars and another million dollars from the government"

":psyboom:"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nagato posted:

the government paid for a pilot project that was supposed to be for parking lots

ignore roads, a tough relatively inexpensive solar panel could have other uses

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Nagato posted:

solyendra!! :argh:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

not really though

we're at the limit or the right grade of poly, installs are held up by finances not the environmental concerns. solar tracking gets you a lot more improvement than tough

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

I loving love science!

i'm pretty lukewarm on science

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
i love loving science

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

the government paid for a pilot project that was supposed to be for parking lots

the government grant was awarded in 2009, but they didn't finish their parking lot until a year ago, and their indiegogo ended three months after that. as far as i can tell the only thing they've done with the indiegogo money was to renovate and move into a new building, and make lovely merch. a month ago their indiegogo was even reopened so they can continue to sell lovely merch

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

there is a market for quick to install modular panels for professional installers but it is pretty full of the carcasses of companies that couldn't beat beat the prices of state subsidized chinese manufacturers.

going consumer targeted and letting people diy solar installations is a really stupid idea because most homeowners shouldn't be trusted with replacing a light fixture much less installing a few kilowatts of PV equipment

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

three million dollars

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i gotta say i think solar road is my favorite terrible crowdfunding thing

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

three million dollars

i like the gaps for water to get into

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

keyboard vomit posted:

i like the gaps for water to get into

reminder that they claim the roads will be able to treat store and remove rainwater

at this rate, it will cost only 519 world economies

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

reminder that they claim the roads will be able to treat store and remove rainwater

"impervious to potholes" :laffo:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

prefect posted:

"impervious to potholes" :laffo:

"National Security" is my favorite

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

my favorite is "cell phone dead spots eliminated"

so they're just going to wire a cell phone tower into the entire road? what a great idea, i wonder why people dont do that already

arrghh this is too stupid to try to criticize logically

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

im the mspaint fruit.jpg

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

i wonder if there was more to their grant application, or if that was it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anthonypants posted:

i wonder if there was more to their grant application, or if that was it

i bet the dod was like "we've spent a million on worse"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

three million dollars

what is the actual ratio of pv cells to total area? maybe 50%?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

the government grant was awarded in 2009, but they didn't finish their parking lot until a year ago, and their indiegogo ended three months after that. as far as i can tell the only thing they've done with the indiegogo money was to renovate and move into a new building, and make lovely merch. a month ago their indiegogo was even reopened so they can continue to sell lovely merch

they had two phases of SBIR, phase 1 covers 6 months, phase 2 covers 2 years. if they got a phase 1 in 2009 they might not have started until the middle of 2010, then after they finish they'd have to apply again and likely not get THAT money until 2012 which neatly brings us into 2014.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
midwest/northeast roads are horrendous since we can get large temperature swings.

This winter was relatively mild but for like 2 months straight it'd go from 40s to below freezing then back to 40s in the course of a week. Our roads are loving destroyed now that the snow and ice have all melted off.

Last year we had summer temps top out at 105F, then during the winter we hit -55F with windchill.

What I'm saying is don't live here if you didn't know that already.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

in Texas our roads are poo poo because the already inadequate state highway funds have been systematically raided to cover up holes in the state budget instead of raising taxes.

oh and perry had a hard-on for skewing things to favor private toll roads because the backers made lots of donations to his reelection fund and state slush fund.

have any allowances been made by the solar roads people for how you would repair or resurface the road in place? alarms like you'd have to pull up all the panels and ship them somewhere else to replace the glass

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
the answer is always the funniest one

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Shifty Pony posted:

in Texas our roads are poo poo because the already inadequate state highway funds have been systematically raided to cover up holes in the state budget instead of raising taxes.

oh and perry had a hard-on for skewing things to favor private toll roads because the backers made lots of donations to his reelection fund and state slush fund.

have any allowances been made by the solar roads people for how you would repair or resurface the road in place? alarms like you'd have to pull up all the panels and ship them somewhere else to replace the glass

txdot also wanted to convert paved roads to gravel to save money

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol even the your kickstarter sucks tumblr fell for it http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com/post/86795763426/your-kickstarter-doesnt-suck-solar-roadways

whoever posted that needs to turn in their badge and gun

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

keyboard vomit posted:

"National Security" is my favorite

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I loving hate this whole thing

this guy is inventing problems just so he can try to solve them, just a giant vanity project. I bet anything he just looked at a highway one day and said "boy this sure is a lot of space, what if it was covered in solar panels? I bet that would be a lot of energy!" and then everything just snowballed from there. you need a magic type of glass or plastic that would stay permanently clear yet retain enough traction for cars to safely move and withstand the constant mechanical and thermal pressures of traffic. and then you need a drainage system to prevent cracks and potholes. and then you need them to be networked so you know if one goes down. then you need modularity for easy repair. then you need connections to the grid. all this so you can have cars drive over pv cells

that's when he started to add all the bs gimmicks. you have the pressure sensitive animal detectors. there are led lane lines that are bright enough to be seen in broad daylight and are networked and controllable as a giant led display. you have rainwater treatment canals. you have heated roads which can melt inches of snow and ice at no net electricity use.

at no point does he consider the cost of anything but the prototype. the specialized skilled labor needed to deploy any part of this system at scale is simply nonexistent. he ignores the futility of deploying pv cells in places that only get a couple months of sunny days a year saying "we got 10% efficiency in idaho, so that's good enough!". he has yet to actually demonstrate the safety or durability of glass roads as he's so fixated on making a complete prototype, buying reams of redundant solar cells, without testing the most important component for feasibility.

he's basically flipped the entire hierarchy of roads on its head. safety and cost effectiveness are coming in as distant finishers to his electronic toy functions.

so wrap around to the beginning. the whole reason solar roadways would be a thing is because it more effectively uses the space of the road. why tackle this first? why not just put more cells on roofs? why not build panel scaffolds alongside highways, where cars don't have to drive on them? because this whole garbage is just one dude's vanity materials project.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

uncurable mlady posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
im "the cool factor"

• Locked thread