Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantle
May 15, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

In order to avoid paying for a 2nd service call, buy another opener of comparable power and design and leave it unopened. When the repair guy comes out, let him determine if it's something he can fix, or if it needs replacement (whether it's too difficult or expensive to fix). If it needs replacement, hand him the unopened box to replace it. If he can fix what's there at a reasonable price, return the one you just bought.

Wow, down to a science. Best with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nocheez posted:

I'm extremely handy, and my dad has always lead me in the right direction. I called him about my stuck opener with a broken spring, and he said "call the professionals."

It was $120 for new springs and the service call. Worth every single penny, and they had it done the same day I called.

Calling a professional when the spring is broken is good with money. Those torsion springs can easily kill you

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Bad with money: this morning my coworkers were discussing our ESPP, and two ladies said that they've been participating. When I explained that our ESPP isn't a great deal because it has no lookback provision, no discount, you pay current market rates, but you can buy fractional shares they said "well it was at $70/share when I started, and now it's at $160, so it's working for me!"

Good with money: at least they're getting the full 401k employer match

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The Mandingo posted:

Bad with money: this morning my coworkers were discussing our ESPP, and two ladies said that they've been participating. When I explained that our ESPP isn't a great deal because it has no lookback provision, no discount, you pay current market rates, but you can buy fractional shares they said "well it was at $70/share when I started, and now it's at $160, so it's working for me!"

Good with money: at least they're getting the full 401k employer match

Is your company headquartered in Memphis, TN, by chance?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

The Mandingo posted:

Omne posted:

My company offers an ESPP, but it is horrific. You tell them what % of your salary you would like to spend on stock, they put the order in once a month, and the company pays the transaction fees. That's it. No discount, no lower-of-current-price-or-previous-price selection. I don't participate for that reason.

Of course, when I joined the company we were trading at $60/share, and now it's at $170/share, so what the hell do I know.

Do you work for the same large company as me, that rhymes with T Rex?

It's turtles all the way down!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I had a wedding for 500 people in an abandoned warehouse and we served thin potluck gruel and it cost $3000, $2500 of that was to pay the photographer which we would not cheap out on, no siree, because you get what you pay for and those cut-rate photographers are what is ruining the business. My first fiance broke up with me after I planned out this wedding; in retrospect she was not the kind of person easily impressed by superficial details like wallpaper, carpet, and permitted food preparation I would want to spend my life with. The bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts were very sensible pairs of shoes that everyone wears to this day and I think we can all agree that it was the most fun and happy wedding anyone has ever had.

After the ceremony we announced that we were contributing the $300 we would have blown on a frivolous honeymoon to our Roth IRAs instead. You should have seen the look on our Bad With Money Coworkers faces, probably thinking about eating dog food in retirement. They were all in the middle of divorces after spending $10,000+ on multiple weddings. Bad With Money. Then we went home and cooked a romantic newlyweds slow-cooker-dinner-and-lunch-for-the-next-10-days together. Hope you enjoyed my wedding story.

I hope you really do this for your wedding, it'll be great. My old closet roommate that you met (or maybe just saw) can come crash it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mystery solved: the front oilite bushing on the motor shaft had such excessive runout from 20 years of service the motor armature kept coming into contact with the windings. Bye bye genie direct drive. I'll call the garage guy tomorrow.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The Mandingo posted:

It's turtles all the way down!

Haha as soon as I posted that, I remembered we already talked about this. WHQ or WTC?

Folly
May 26, 2010

Taco Box posted:

Mystery solved: the front oilite bushing on the motor shaft had such excessive runout from 20 years of service the motor armature kept coming into contact with the windings. Bye bye genie direct drive. I'll call the garage guy tomorrow.

Anybody with the mechanical savvy to diagnose that problem can DIY the replacement.

I just did 2 of these afew months ago. The first one took about 4 or 5 hours and most of that was figuring how to remove the first one. There were lots of places that looked like they'd disassemble, but actually didn't in any meaningful way. Removal and installation of the second one took about an hour.

The newer models are made to be easy to install. Mine came with mounting hardware, but I was able to adjust the old stuff to make it work. If I didn't, that might have added an hour for cutting and measuring the new mount. Your biggest risk is that you'll have to move the part that connects to the ceiling, so you'll have to find the joists. All together, the whole project is probably only a little more complicated than wall mounting a flat screen TV.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Omne posted:

Haha as soon as I posted that, I remembered we already talked about this. WHQ or WTC?

I work for Services in the DTC, Irving TX.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The Mandingo posted:

I work for Services in the DTC, Irving TX.

Ah cool, I had to go there once to meet with some FXO IT people.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Looking through the post weekend p2p loans on the local market and there's a lot of debt consolidation. One loan for over $31k at 14.5% with a monthly repayment of $1073/month but a 3 year repayment. Another with a higher credit rating for $18k at 12.3% with $400/month in repayments but they have stated that they are cutting up their two credit cards. Taking a 5 year loan says something about their cash-flow and expenses.

People are being buried in consumer debt and seem to let it get entirely out of control.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

subx posted:

I do not think he understands how maintenance on a super car works.

It's really not that bad. Except for when I got my ECU wet after 4 days of owning it and had to pay $1400 for a new one.

EDIT: reading some of these stories give me an ulcer.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 30, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Two goodies from Quora. First is a kid who's almost done with college and whose parents have paid in $80k toward his degree, but he wants to drop out because he'd rather travel and read books.

quote:

Note: I fully intend on becoming an entrepreneur and I kind of already am.

Second is a mixture of wealth bragging and idiocy: What is the best first car for my teen for 100K USD?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

SpelledBackwards posted:

Two goodies from Quora. First is a kid who's almost done with college and whose parents have paid in $80k toward his degree, but he wants to drop out because he'd rather travel and read books.

Silicon Valleyitis is horrible. Even as an "entrepreneur", the best thing I have is my college degree to fall back on if needed.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I think I just heard a bad with money thing today. Someone gave their 18 year old daughter a credit card while they are off at college. First term and they racked up 7k on it. I would consider giving a child your credit card for an extended period of time, without strict limitations on it a bad with money move.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Devian666 posted:

People are being buried in consumer debt and seem to let it get entirely out of control.
Burying themselves.

What type of credit rating do these people have?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Grades are A2 and B3 so not so bad. There's a lot of debt consolidation for much worse credit grades but for smaller amounts. These ones stuck out as being really bad.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Best reply to the $100k car question

quote:

The best first vehicle for a teenager for 100k might not be what you expect.

I have a feeling that you may be able to purchace a tank from a military surplus store. As long as the big guns are disabled, this will be the best choice for your child.

He will not be able to drive too fast, I believe the older tanks only have a top speed of 40 mph or something close to that. Tanks are notoriously stable and safe when hit by heavy objects. If your child is in an accident, he may have whiplash, but even that would not be too bad because the vehicle that hit him wont have enough momentum to seriously move the tank.

Tanks perform well in all environments and they are very safe in winter conditions as well as flash floods or even when they are the targets of drive by shootings. I believe that for the money, this is the safest vehicle you can get for your child. His friends will think its awesome and the only thing you may have to worry about is police chases and your child learning that the police cant stop him. This may be a bad idea for him to get in his head.

The tracks may need to be modified to make a tank street legal. This may cost a significant amount, but it will be worth your childs safety

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Golluk posted:

I think I just heard a bad with money thing today. Someone gave their 18 year old daughter a credit card while they are off at college. First term and they racked up 7k on it. I would consider giving a child your credit card for an extended period of time, without strict limitations on it a bad with money move.

There is nothing even slightly unusual about this, the moment some people hit 18, they exhaust every line of credit they can find. And some parents are astonishingly trusting and give their own credit card to their children, to be maxed out two weeks later.

I would say I've heard similar stories from my high school alumni about 50 times now.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
We noticed a burning smell the past few times we ran the washing machine, figured it was the motor and we would have to buy a replacement. We bought it used 5 years ago for 250 Euro, so it's served us well. We wanted to buy another used one, but the new ones all have such nice features and I was slowly being sucked in. I decide to look at the used ones, sell our old one for scrap, and if they didn't have all the features I wanted in a used, I'd go and buy a new one (in cash).

I go to unplug the old one, and notice the plug is fused into the extension cord. I jiggle it and the washer starts up. Turns out the problem was that some dust and/or water had gotten in and shorted the connection. I spliced a new head in place and moved the connection further away, and works good as new.

Glad I dodged the risk of buying new (bad with money), even more glad I didn't have to spend anything.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SpelledBackwards posted:

Second is a mixture of wealth bragging and idiocy: What is the best first car for my teen for 100K USD?

Oh boy, more tesla circlejerking in that thread. Elon Musk has taken the mantle of 'King of RDF' from Steve Jobs. I had no idea the oatmeal did a cartoon about that car. Not surprising given his previous ventures into things named Tesla.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

poopinmymouth posted:

Glad I dodged the risk of buying new (bad with money), even more glad I didn't have to spend anything.

Is your 6/7 year old washig machine not costing you more than a new one in inefficiency?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Total Meatlove posted:

Is your 6/7 year old washig machine not costing you more than a new one in inefficiency?

It might be getting close, but it's an A in efficiency, though now they make A+++ ratings. Electricity in Iceland is extremely cheap.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

As the owner of a 6/7 year old washing machine, how inefficient can they be? My current electricity bill is around €60/mo, so it would need to be really efficient to be worth buying a new one for €350-400.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

The operating cost of a washer is usually small compared to the cost of buying one. The most efficient HE washers use about 15 gallons and the least efficient use about 40 gallons. Assuming water costs you about $1.50 US per 1000 gallons, and the energy to heat a gallon of water costs about $0.02 (varies), and you do one load every single day on hot, by napkin math, you save:

25 * ($0.0015+0.02) * 365 = $196.19/year

Only some fraction of the water used is heated so this is a generous estimate. So if you do tons of laundry on hot, live in an area with generally high energy costs, and have a very inefficient old washer it makes sense to replace it. Realistically speaking you're probably ok from a money standpoint just running your washer into oblivion and replacing it when it breaks. Using cold water detergent and running your cycles on cold will save you much more money/energy than anything related to the washer itself.

E: decimal error

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 30, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

On that note, I worry that my electric dryer is running too hot, but I have no way of being sure. Even on low things comes out pretty hot - luckily I haven't seen any clothing damage as a result, but I also don't have any thermometers I can toss in there during the cycle to know if I have a bad thermocouple/thermistor or control board somewhere in there. Anyone know what I can do about that to test/diagnose it?

The dryer is at least 8 years old since it was there when I bought the place, and probably 10+ if I had to guess. But if the temperature isn't actually off the mark, then I'll continue to use it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

SpelledBackwards posted:

On that note, I worry that my electric dryer is running too hot, but I have no way of being sure. Even on low things comes out pretty hot - luckily I haven't seen any clothing damage as a result, but I also don't have any thermometers I can toss in there during the cycle to know if I have a bad thermocouple/thermistor or control board somewhere in there. Anyone know what I can do about that to test/diagnose it?

The dryer is at least 8 years old since it was there when I bought the place, and probably 10+ if I had to guess. But if the temperature isn't actually off the mark, then I'll continue to use it.

Get your ducts cleaned.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Get your ducts cleaned.

Yeah, in my old house the dryer was in the basement and I would have to vacuum out the accordion-style heat vent every year or two, and I would vacuum out the duct it attached onto as far up as I possibly could at the same time. If someone hasn't done that for 8+ years it would be bad.

My NEW house basically has a two foot horizontal run to straight outside. That is way better.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Great, thanks guys. It's about 2 feet, almost straight as well. Should be easy to service myself from the outside of the house .

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Just another example of companies showing the monthly payment instead of the cost. Plus it's probably not a great idea to finance a jet ski.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Just another example of companies showing the monthly payment instead of the cost. Plus it's probably not a great idea to finance a jet ski.

Good with money is buying it used from the guy that buys it new. A friend of mine recently bought an 09 Waverunner for $1500 from a guy that got way over his head in debt on stupid poo poo. Almost brand new condition since people that do that rarely have the time to get full use out of all the crap they buy on credit.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

An even better idea is to finance a snowmobile as well.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

It came from reddit:

quote:

In October of 2014 my emotionally unstable mom bought a frozen yogurt establishment with the prospects of hiring a manager and making money without doing anything. She is in bad debt now because the yogurt shop isn't making any money, and she's working harder than she's ever worked in her entire life. She comes home near crying every night, and it's tearing my family apart, so anybody who can offer a serious solution would be unbelievably appreciated. She can't keep doing what she's been doing, and she doesn't want anything to do with the yogurt shop. I can try to supply any information that would be needed to assess the situation. If there's a better place to ask this question, I would be grateful if someone could direct me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/business/comments/30rsux/my_mom_bought_a_froyo_restaurant_and_shes_in/

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Wow that was a retarded decision. The way to make money from those businesses is by doing most of the work yourself otherwise you pay all the profits out in a manager's salary.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't most Frogurt shops self-serve these days anyways

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
No better business opportunity than getting in on the tail end of a retail trend that's been booming for a few years!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Blinkman987 posted:

No better business opportunity than getting in on the tail end of a retail trend that's been booming for a few years!

And out of season, oh my!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
People refusing to pay their rates (property taxes) and waiting for the local Council to sell their property in an auction rather than organising repayments. Given that all the Council's want is the money this is exceedingly foolish.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/67548983/auckland-section-sold-over-unpaid-rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My dad used to conduct those auctions. In Texas at least that job is handed out to a private law firm through the county clerk, and my paralegal dad would drive to the county courthouse and let property go for pennies on the dollar to all-too-willing speculators.

• Locked thread