Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I had a dream that Nintendo announced Super Mario HD Trilogy which was a remaster of Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, and Mario Galaxy, and they said this was why they released Mario Galaxy 2 instead of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
If they remaster SM64 it should at least be the superior/more expansive DS version

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

less laughter posted:

If they remaster SM64 it should at least be the superior/more expansive DS version

This would be a day 1 purchase for me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've finally been getting into Bayonetta 2 after buying it around Christmas time and then never starting it. This game owns a lot and is good. I am still lamenting the loss of the rocket launchers from the first game but the scythe is filling the void left in its place. I feel like Bat Within is way more important in Bayo 2 than it ever was in Bayo 1. Not sure how I feel about the flying battles. I'm glad insta-death QTEs are gone. The challenge rooms are now Actually Possible By Human Standards.

I like it and am going to keep playing it.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
Speaking (kind of) of Mario 64, has there been even a rumor of a Mario Galaxy 3 type game? I spent a bunch of time playing Smash and Mario Kart on a friend's Wii U the other day and am interested in picking one up. There doesn't seem to be a Mario 64/Mario Galaxy type game out there though, and those were always my favorite. Mario 3D World seems to be a little different.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think, and I could be very wrong, that someone did mention that a Mario game other than 3D World was in the works and that it was more in line with Galaxy as a big single player thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've heard no such thing or seen it mentioned in this thread.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

raditts posted:

I've heard no such thing or seen it mentioned in this thread.

It was a while back probably around E3 time last year, but either Iwata or Miyamoto made some cryptic hypothetical statement along the lines of the Mario Galaxy/Mario 64 style having its own merits and I believe them saying something like "it may be something we explore in the future".

It was in no way shape or form a confirmation, let alone anything specific, but it wasn't a flat out denial which made people speculate wildly.

Edit: Here's a transcript from Iwata asks about Super Mario 3D World:

quote:

Koizumi: That's right. We've made use of the technology cultivated through Super Mario Galaxy, and characters like Rosalina and Captain Toad, who came about through those games play a new role. Super Mario 3D World is the form we chose to have a greater number of people enjoy that, so I think this is the present culmination of 3D Super Mario games.

Iwata: All right.

Miyamoto: Just so there is no misunderstanding, I should point out that this doesn't mean we'll never make another Super Mario Galaxy game.

Koizumi: That's right. When we first started making Super Mario 3D World, Miyamoto-san asked me if this was going to be more like Super Mario Galaxy or more like Super Mario 3D Land. When we made Super Mario 3D Land, we had our eyes on the form of this game, so we made it this way without any hesitation.

Miyamoto: The same team can't make both at the same time. And we can't bring in a second party and slap the name Super Mario Galaxy on it. I suppose we could idealistically make both in Tokyo, but we want to do something new too, so there was that dilemma.

Iwata: Well, uniqueness and a high degree of freedom versus how easy a game is to understand are always polar opposites.

Miyamoto: Personally, I would like to take on a variety of new challenges with Super Mario Galaxy and design 2D Super Mario games in an easy-to-understand way within certain restraints.

Iwata: Either way, to fans of Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D World is in no way a different beast that they won't be able to enjoy. All right, I'd like to finish up by having you deliver a message to the fans. Let's start with Motokura-san.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 30, 2015

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
That's disappointing, but still, seven player Smash was so much fun I'll probably pick a Wii U up anyway.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Mr. Met posted:

That's disappointing, but still, seven player Smash was so much fun I'll probably pick a Wii U up anyway.

3D World is pretty sweet, guy. Give it a try.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I didn't have high expectations for 3D world and I think it's the best Mario game besides 3. The gameplay is great, amazing co-op implementation, you can play as multiple characters and they all feel different, the graphics are heads and tails above every other mario game, controls perfectly, no waggle, best miiverse integration out of any wii u title, seemingly endless chain of secret worlds that you can unlock after you "beat" the game, etc

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Echoing the support for Mario 3D World. It's a nice bonus included with my WiiU that I've put more time in than any other WiiU game. The soundtrack rules too.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's literally the best game on the Wii U.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
SM3DW is OK but not great, I 100%ed it but sold it immediately afterwards because I don't have a desire to ever play it again. The Mario Kart homage level is the highlight.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm sorry you have to live with a wrong opinion

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

It's literally the best game on the Wii U.

The best game on the Wii U right now is one of the following:
*Mario Kart 8
*Smash Bros Wii U
*Hyrule Warriors
*Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8-2TF3Okyw
This is a fan made project that is actually surprisingly good. Using Unity he used Super Mario Galaxy art assets to recreate one level from Super Mario 64. You can download it off his website and he even posted the source code if you want to tinker with it yourself. I would pay $$$ for an official HD remake of Super Mario 64.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spectacle Rock posted:

The best game on the Wii U right now is one of the following:
*Mario Kart 8
*Smash Bros Wii U
*Hyrule Warriors
*Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

It's between SSB4, DKCTF and CTTT. All three are absolutely magical in their own way.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

best game discussion w/o mentioning Bayonetta 2 you say?? how dare you

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

less laughter posted:

It's between SSB4, DKCTF and CTTT. All three are absolutely magical in their own way.

What's CTTT?

Also yeah Bayonetta 2 is pretty godlike.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Theta Zero posted:

What's CTTT?

Also yeah Bayonetta 2 is pretty godlike.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

Which is a fine game, but best on the console? Not even close.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jarogue posted:

If you ever need another reason to buy Splatoon then here you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idCAwBpcOjQ

why would they have the guy with the speech impediment do the voiceover

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It sounds like his tongue is too big for his mouth or something and I can't watch any video where he talks

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Spectacle Rock posted:

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8-2TF3Okyw
This is a fan made project that is actually surprisingly good. Using Unity he used Super Mario Galaxy art assets to recreate one level from Super Mario 64. You can download it off his website and he even posted the source code if you want to tinker with it yourself. I would pay $$$ for an official HD remake of Super Mario 64.

You know, I like 3D World as much as the next guy, but honestly I'd love it if they went back and made a sequel to Mario 64. Ever since Galaxy they've been trimming down Mario's moveset, to the point where now 3D World has no triple jump, no dive jump (and thus no belly slide), you can only move in eight directions, and you have to hold a button to run. Compared to the quick, easy and fun acrobatics displayed in that video, newer Mario's are slower, more linear and more rigid in how many options you have to get through an area.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They brought back real powerups though so I'd say it's a net win.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

bayonetta 2 can't be the best game on wii u because bayonetta 1 is on wii u

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

It sounds like his tongue is too big for his mouth or something and I can't watch any video where he talks

I feel bad for the guy because its a speech thing and there's usually very little you can do for a thing like that. But it makes their videos unlistenable. His scripting is usually pretty good why doesn't he write the scripts and have someone else read them.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

sharrrk posted:

bayonetta 2 can't be the best game on wii u because bayonetta 1 is on wii u

Pfft, Wonderful 101 has Bayonetta AND Dante AND Kamiya AND Viewtiful Joe. It's pretty much the perfect game and i'm embarrassed at all of you for not mentioning it before.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like SM3DW is #1 by consensus.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/wii-u/metascore
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/wii-u/userscore

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

As it should be

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. All the other ones that could be #1:

Smash.
Kart.
Bayonetta.
Wonderful.

They all are niche. If you don't like fighting, racing or beat em ups, those games won't work for you. But pretty much everyone enjoys mario games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

noirstronaut posted:

As it should be
If everything was as it should be, then the Wii-U would have Dark Souls be it's top game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
the best game on the wii u is zombi u if you disagree get hosed

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Yes please ignore the series that is on average 90% on Metacritic after 4 installations and has enthralled the hearts and minds of America. We don't need those award winning games on the Wii-U we have so many upcoming things to look foward to that we could never have time to play them *watches tumbleweed go by*.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Kewpuh posted:

the best game on the wii u is zombi u if you disagree get hosed

Just think the cancelled one was co-op. gently caress Ubisoft.

So Plat making Starfox? Lets take a guess at the BS meter for rumors. 1-1000.
Ill go with a 4 as they did actually ask for it.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yes please ignore the series that is on average 90% on Metacritic after 4 installations and has enthralled the hearts and minds of America. We don't need those award winning games on the Wii-U we have so many upcoming things to look foward to that we could never have time to play them *watches tumbleweed go by*.

what the hell are you talking about taint reaper

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

Another taint, reaped

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think the Souls games would sell very well on Wii U but the Miiverse would be funny I guess

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kewpuh posted:

Shenmue~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

best game discussion w/o mentioning Bayonetta 2 you say?? how dare you

Bayonetta 2 is my favorite Wii U game, but Smash Brothers gets the most play time followed by Mario Kart.

• Locked thread