Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

And you all secretly love it too. Wait until there's a tight match and they start acting like a pack of animals, suddenly this thread will fill up with "yesssss the cunts are back :getin:" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Lionel Richie posted:

Australia are unashamedly worse than everyone for it, it's hilarious that people even argue that.
Reminder that Anderson and Jadeja nearly came to blows last northern summer because Anderson sledges so constently and guilelessly

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Shmoses posted:

I imagine England players are handed a dossier of their pitch maps after every match

I hope they at least have the decency to look ashamed when they get it.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The Ashes squad is announced in 25 minutes.

Already? We have a couple of tests against the West Indies before then in June.

And why the hell are we playing the Ashes again already? It's been only two years since the last time it was in England. Don't answer, I know it's because of :10bux:

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Do you think James Anderson somehow invalidates the point?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Doctor Cave posted:

Already? We have a couple of tests against the West Indies before then in June.
They go straight from Jamaica to London, they're almost the same tour

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lionel Richie posted:

Do you think James Anderson somehow invalidates the point?

No but he is as big a dickhead as anyone in world cricket.

I like Australian cricket playing aggressive. I have no problem with sledging. I don't care for send offs but it doesn't turn me off the game or anything. I also think England have no room to criticise Australian cricket when they play James Anderson.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Australia is like a vicious paedophile who comes to court with a defence of "C'mon mate, EVERYONE enjoys having a little bit'a sex. Have you seen James Anderson shag?"

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

goatface posted:

The first England test will be fun because the Windies are really poo poo right now. If England don't win comfortably, there will be frowny faces all round and proper witch hunting might begin accompanied by "recall KP" demands and lots of sad Cook faces.

The sole hope for English cricket is that they poo poo the bed in the Windies so hard that Graves loses his rag and fires everyone like he did in Yorkshire. We can then fulfil our manifest destiny and import the entire South Africa team on dodgy passports.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
April the 13th for the first Test, at the Viv Richards, Antigua. Did they ever fix the outfield drainage issues?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

runoverbobby posted:

Australia is like a vicious paedophile who comes to court with a defence of "C'mon mate, EVERYONE enjoys having a little bit'a sex. Have you seen James Anderson shag?"

I am not sure if sledging should be compared to paedophilia but it is more like a paedophile being judged by another paedophile no ? I am not excusing Australian cricket. I don't think Australian cricket has anything to excuse. It is the way cricket should be played. What I am saying is that we are no worse than nations like England and India.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

No but he is as big a dickhead as anyone in world cricket.

I like Australian cricket playing aggressive. I have no problem with sledging. I don't care for send offs but it doesn't turn me off the game or anything. I also think England have no room to criticise Australian cricket when they play James Anderson.

Imagine if everyone in the England team was like James Anderson.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

"It is the way cricket should be played."

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Everyone should make an IPL fantasy team https://fantasy.iplt20.com/

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Imagine if everyone in the England team was like James Anderson.

Not everyone in the Australian side is like David Warner either. I like Warner doing what he does on the field. Just as the English should like Anderson. Every side needs a bloke who won't take a backwards step. If Warner started sulking like a little baby like Anderson did at Adelaide last ashes series it would have an impact on the team.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Scylo posted:

Can someone make a fantasy league, where you get points on how good your team name is?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel Richie posted:

"It is the way cricket should be played."

Again it is no worse than James Anderson threatening to punch George Bailey ?

Some cricketers walk a fine line. It was an ugly incident. I said at the time he should have probably been suspended for it. I think 99 percent of the time David Warner is fine. That to me was crossing the line between fine and not fine. He got punished but maybe not adequately.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Again it is no worse than James Anderson threatening to punch George Bailey ?

I don't know, I suppose it comes down to personal preference as to where you rank racially aggravated abuse in the scheme of things.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Ahmed, Voges and Nevill are all in the Ashes/West Indies squad. All good choices, surprised they went with Voges tbh given his age.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Scylo posted:

Ahmed, Voges and Nevill are all in the Ashes/West Indies squad. All good choices, surprised they went with Voges tbh given his age.

He has had a really ridiculous first class season and even though he probably won't play its a nice honor for him to be picked

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Scylo posted:

Started to, got bored, stopped. Much like my normal IPL watching journey.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shmoses posted:

To be fair Haddin was drunk during that interview and I think he was having a laugh.

Haddin has always been a oval office and doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

The core of the Australian team has always been rotten as gently caress and I feel sorry for the players that are actually not like that but get dragged into that poo poo. Mitchell Johnson actually doesn't seem like a oval office at all but it's pretty much expected that if you're an Australian fast bowler then you need to be a total cock.

That behaviour has been instilled in them for a long time now and there has never been any conscious effort to behave like adults. Nothing will ever change. Australia will continue to win at all costs and everyone will hate them. They're obviously happy with that trade off so why defend them?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Lionel Richie posted:

I don't know, I suppose it comes down to personal preference as to where you rank racially aggravated abuse in the scheme of things.

Where do you personally rank threats of physical violence? I'd guess it would depend on whether it was an Aussie making the threat or receiving it :laugh:

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'd rate them lower than racial abuse tbh, especially for a country like Australia. For instance, I'd rank Michael Clarke threatening Anderson with a broken arm lower than what Warner did.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lionel Richie posted:

I'd rate them lower than racial abuse tbh, especially for a country like Australia. For instance, I'd rank Michael Clarke threatening Anderson with a broken arm lower than what Warner did.

u wot m8, australia doesn't have a race problem

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

monkeu posted:

Where do you personally rank threats of physical violence? I'd guess it would depend on whether it was an Aussie making the threat or receiving it :laugh:

Yeah the threat of violence is not as bad as racist abuse.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Lionel Richie posted:

Hahah yeah threatening to bowl a ball at someone fast enough that it breaks their arm during a game that involves bowling balls fast at people sure is similar to theatening to punch someone after a match.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
http://yourfriendshouse.com/opinion/dont-ever-stop-sledging-australia/

"Sure, there is a definite line in the sand. You don’t say anything personally offensive, you don’t say anything culturally offensive, questions about sexual orientation, religion, gender and family have no place in modern sledging. But to simply stay silent, while your opponent makes a complete dick of themselves or worse, snatches victory out of your hands, is un-Australian."

Not that I agree entirely with the article, but they have a point.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

EMC posted:

He has had a really ridiculous first class season and even though he probably won't play its a nice honor for him to be picked

There's a good chance he will play, Australia's middle order can be fragile, and I'd much rather him in their than Marsh.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah the threat of violence is not as bad as racist abuse.

Remind me of the horrible racist comment again. It was a pretty terrible thing he said about him! Certainly worse than threatening to punch someone! :rolleyes:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

I don't think Australian cricket has anything to excuse. It is the way cricket should be played. What I am saying is that we are no worse than nations like England and India.

This is now a Sincere Post:

I don't think Australian cricket should be apologetic about anything, either. There isn't anything wrong about the way they play. It's within the rules and the onus is on the other teams to deal with their intensity. But I think Australian cricket should be self-aware and acknowledge that their on-field mannerisms will lead to some amount of criticism, much of it being fair criticism. This will tend to be louder when Australia win things because of the nature of human envy and jealousy.

The best response to such criticism is to shrug and acknowledge that it's the way Australia play the international game, perhaps with a pointed comment about how their style wins World Cups and Ashes Series 5-0. The only thing people hate worse than an obnoxiously successful team is an obnoxiously successful team that is concerned about its public perception and that wants other people to like and admire them.

On these last few pages I think we have seen a lot of false equivalencies, along with the odd idea that One James Anderson has the same effect on a cricket match as Eleven Australians. Embrace being the villains of the cricket world who antagonize Englishmen with your mere presence. There are a lot of trophies in it.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

monkeu posted:

Hahah yeah threatening to bowl a ball at someone fast enough that it breaks their arm during a game that involves bowling balls fast at people sure is similar to theatening to punch someone after a match.

Okay so that's not physical violence, I'll make a note. I'm just trying to negotiate this maze of what is and isn't acceptable to fans of the Australian cricket team here mate.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
You can either be a pack of loving dickheads; or you can justifiably complain when people call you a pack of loving dickheads.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Next person to talk about the Australian cricket team in a negative or positive light officially likes Shane Warne and wants to buy him a beer.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Stop the boats posts

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

I don't know what you lot expect out of a bunch of people who make their money playing cricket.

If they had half a brain they'd be working in a law firm or being some kind of useful professional out in some other career path. As it is they have enough of a brain stem to succeed in hitting a ball to all parts or hurling it down a pitch at 140kph+ and that's about the extent of it.

Just look at the brains on offer from the likes of Warne etc.

That said the Australian cricket team is the worst of a bad bunch of people - great at what they do on the field but in terms of personality, any cricket player on any team can't be held to the high intellectual levels of members of the something awful forums :P

But if any of you think the Australians are miles worse than every other outfit you're absolutely kidding yourselves - they're worse but the gap isn't as large as you think.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'd have a drink with Shane Warne. By the end of the night he'd have picked us up some filthy slappers and you'd feel vile the day after, but it would be a laugh at the time and it'd be some great banter.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Lionel Richie posted:

I'd have a drink with Shane Warne. By the end of the night he'd have picked us up some filthy slappers and you'd feel vile the day after, but it would be a laugh at the time and it'd be some great banter.

Would you taste his dirty rotten?

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

runoverbobby posted:

This is now a Sincere Post:

I don't think Australian cricket should be apologetic about anything, either. There isn't anything wrong about the way they play. It's within the rules and the onus is on the other teams to deal with their intensity. But I think Australian cricket should be self-aware and acknowledge that their on-field mannerisms will lead to some amount of criticism, much of it being fair criticism. This will tend to be louder when Australia win things because of the nature of human envy and jealousy.

The best response to such criticism is to shrug and acknowledge that it's the way Australia play the international game, perhaps with a pointed comment about how their style wins World Cups and Ashes Series 5-0. The only thing people hate worse than an obnoxiously successful team is an obnoxiously successful team that is concerned about its public perception and that wants other people to like and admire them.

On these last few pages I think we have seen a lot of false equivalencies, along with the odd idea that One James Anderson has the same effect on a cricket match as Eleven Australians. Embrace being the villains of the cricket world who antagonize Englishmen with your mere presence. There are a lot of trophies in it.

I think you'll find for most of the time the Australian team couldn't give a rats about what people think of them because it's honestly working a treat and why would they stop now. Being the nicest doesn't get you 5 WC trophys to sit in the governing bodys trophy room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

lotharr posted:

I think you'll find for most of the time the Australian team couldn't give a rats about what people think of them because it's honestly working a treat and why would they stop now. Being the nicest doesn't get you 5 WC trophys to sit in the governing bodys trophy room.

Their fans sure as gently caress seem to care a lot though.