Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lava Lamp posted:

but yes nursing school sucks and i hate it so much.

Empty quote to the moon and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Lava Lamp posted:

You can do it! :)

but even if you do fail a class, I've known many of my classmates who have failed a class, repeated it and then kicked rear end the rest of the program.

but yes nursing school sucks and i hate it so much.

I wish there was an option to repeat but the school is closing and we are the last class :/ time to sleep with all of the Professors. And no I had no idea that the school was closing until the second semester when the decision was made.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Wait it looks like I got enough points back to pass the exam. Still in the game! Two more exams and then the two finals and if I pass this hardest semester ever I can be a nurse...!

Edit: Nursing school is a loving roller coaster of emotions especially now.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Uni was all right, pretty cruisey. :australia:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

White Chocolate posted:

Wait it looks like I got enough points back to pass the exam. Still in the game! Two more exams and then the two finals and if I pass this hardest semester ever I can be a nurse...!

Edit: Nursing school is a loving roller coaster of emotions especially now.

Be honest: what do you do during class? Many of my classmates said gently caress it, browsed the internet, slept, goofed off, played games, etc. I took a shitload of notes, read over them every night before bed and asked a ton of questions,
and never cracked a book while ace-ing almost every test. I am not an especially smart person, but I graduated with honors in an accelerated program, worked a part time job throughout and didn't stress.

If you're already doing this, then good luck! If not, maybe reconsider how you spend your class time. I had so many people pissed at me for gliding through school and when they asked how I did it, I told them I paid attention and took notes, a concept that was foreign to most of them.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Yeah

Cacafuego posted:

Be honest: what do you do during class? Many of my classmates said gently caress it, browsed the internet, slept, goofed off, played games, etc. I took a shitload of notes, read over them every night before bed and asked a ton of questions,
and never cracked a book while ace-ing almost every test. I am not an especially smart person, but I graduated with honors in an accelerated program, worked a part time job throughout and didn't stress.

If you're already doing this, then good luck! If not, maybe reconsider how you spend your class time. I had so many people pissed at me for gliding through school and when they asked how I did it, I told them I paid attention and took notes, a concept that was foreign to most of them.

I do all of these also I make recordings of the lectures that I constantly listen to, make tons of index cards for each test and try to meet with people to study with as much as possible. Also nclex questions. What else can I do? If you ask me any question I generally can answer it but on tests I keep making stupid mistakes or they ask questions that I have no context for, etc.

Edit: generally I study 3+ hours per day in 15-20 minute blocks with 5-10 min breaks and that seemed to work until recently.

Dream Weaver fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 25, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

In that case it looks like you're doing all you can. Good luck, there's not much more I can think of. What in particular has been the most difficult?

Do you second guess yourself on tests? Don't do that. Answer the question and move on. If you find yourself thinking about it too much, you're overthinking it.

E: the study breaks are a good idea, they're necessary. Also, like you said, sleeping with the profs may help

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 25, 2015

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just got a lovely rejection email from the new grad program I applied to.

Really thought I interviewed well, so I choose to believe it was a matter of limited slots and lots of good applicants, rather than me being a bad candidate.

A girl in my class who works there as a CNA, and whose manager wanted to hire her as an RN, didn't get past the initial round of screening so her manager was never even allowed to interview her :/

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
So there are three accelerated masters programs (if you have a bachelors in something else, but want to go into nursing) in the area. Two rejected me, within weeks of me applying. The third said "Oh we'll get back to you in January." That was in May or June last year.

So February rolls around and they get back to me.. I've completely forgotten about them. Assumed they'd turned me down too! Nope! Holy poo poo I start in August!

Super excited, super terrified!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Finagle posted:

So there are three accelerated masters programs (if you have a bachelors in something else, but want to go into nursing) in the area. Two rejected me, within weeks of me applying. The third said "Oh we'll get back to you in January." That was in May or June last year.

So February rolls around and they get back to me.. I've completely forgotten about them. Assumed they'd turned me down too! Nope! Holy poo poo I start in August!

Super excited, super terrified!
Congratulations! I'm starting a masters entry program in June :).

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The biggest tip I got for test taking in nursing school was to cover the answers to the question you're reading and try to think of the answer yourself before you look at the available choices so you don't get tricked by nclex style question sorcery. Worked really well for me. If you're actually studying this method should work because you'll probably already know the answer before you lift your hand to see the answers.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I passed that test that I thought I failed oh joy. Now another do or die test.

Also...
Only two more care plans this semester. Only two more care plans this semester. Only two more care plans this semester.... could I do a systematic analysis of available data on RCT for just about anything instead?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

White Chocolate posted:

I passed that test that I thought I failed oh joy. Now another do or die test.

Also...
Only two more care plans this semester. Only two more care plans this semester. Only two more care plans this semester.... could I do a systematic analysis of available data on RCT for just about anything instead?

The sword of Damocles still hangs.

Which class?

Roki B fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 30, 2015

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
No care plans for me this final semester. Instead we have a group project where each member has to get 24 hours of patient education in the community, on our own time.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
I read the thread title, you guys... if i become a nurse will someone actually finally love me

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

chinchilla posted:

I read the thread title, you guys... if i become a nurse will someone actually finally love me

Lol no they'll just yell at you for not pushing their dilaudid fast enough or for some how causing their patients surgery to not be done well enough.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'll love you.

After two years of Nursing school, I no longer understand the concept of love.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I fell in more love with days off from my hospital nursing job, so there's always that.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

If anything, being a nurse has pushed me further away from humanity.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

I'll love you.

After two years of Nursing school, I no longer understand the concept of love.

Nursing school was a cake walk full of pussy.

Studying late the night before a test sucked but that's about it.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I was able to go to the bar across campus and get a few drinks in before the next class started. My liver took a beating during nursing school.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bum the Sad posted:

But all the women are married or engaged, or recently divorced and super hot but have 3 kids.

Also getting up at 0400 to get to clinical by 0630 sucks

Also getting emails from professors at 0230 with changes about tomorrow's lecture sucks

Also getting a unit that was supposed to be 3 lectures turned into one 45 minute "practice Q&A" sucks

Also getting tests made using 2 different editions of the textbook because the LPN to RN students were told to use the old one and thus getting questions about content that's subsequently changed sucks.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

Bum the Sad posted:

I quit studying by like 8 and I instead focus on a good night's sleep. My lowest grade so far has been a 96%.

Not enough pussy though, unless we're counting peri care on some poor abandoned nursing home patients in clinical. Which I do not count. I drink to forget.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Are you both in associates programs? We went over this a while ago in this thread. Traditional BSN programs are full of 21-23 year olds on a normal college tract, associate programs are full of the single moms trying to get ahead in life.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Bum the Sad posted:

Are you both in associates programs? We went over this a while ago in this thread. Traditional BSN programs are full of 21-23 year olds on a normal college tract, associate programs are full of the single moms trying to get ahead in life.

What...what are masters programs full of?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Annath posted:

But all the women are married or engaged, or recently divorced and super hot but have 3 kids.

ya wtf

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Finagle posted:

What...what are masters programs full of?

Mostly young married folk without kids.

At Least for CRNA school.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

There's actually only been one divorce during our program! And yeah she's gorgeous and somehow keeping an A average despite the personal stuff and 3 kids.
Honestly, a kid isn't a deal breaker for me, but 3 is.
Surprisingly few single moms. Only 2 AFAIK. Lots of younger women newly married or engaged though.

Littlepuppingtoto
Dec 24, 2009
I know you guys were talking about study habits a couple pages ago....

I used to record the lectures & listen to them on my way to and from class/clinical. I'd also basically record myself reading the book and then listen to that over and over again. Helped me SO many times... I'd remember myself saying it, as dorky as it was. Graduated my accelerated BSN program with a 3.8 GPA and I really think that helped a lot.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Annath posted:

There's actually only been one divorce during our program! And yeah she's gorgeous and somehow keeping an A average despite the personal stuff and 3 kids.
Honestly, a kid isn't a deal breaker for me, but 3 is.
Surprisingly few single moms. Only 2 AFAIK. Lots of younger women newly married or engaged though.

the flock of women in my nursing school were intially single but actively pursuing husbands throughout the program. I never saw so many rocks being flashed around that final semester.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 31, 2015

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I guess I'm technically one of those engaged students, but I'm at school to scam on the ladies and do a bit of learning. There's 2 girls I know who aren't straight, and a few others I have my suspicions about.

Just got back from taking a test for my US government class. Is so nice to have easy peasy tests in between "choose the most correct answer" ones.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Any advice on MSN programs vs BSN programs? Since the program I was going to start in May canceled I'm pursing other options unless I miraculously get in for their Fall cohort. One option is a concurrent enrollment option through the community colleges with the option to pursue a BSN, or they have one option to go for the MSN. The MSN requires you to specialize once you graduate in a few categories: informatics, public health, MSN/MBA etc and obviously requires a bit of extra school but not much (i think maybe a year). My current goal is nursing school > work for a few years > NP program so I'm not sure if the MSN or BSN route is the best way to go. Also applying to a one year post-bacc BSN program but, which would be intense but done a year sooner than the concurrent enrollment program.

I'm meeting with an advisor on Thursday, this program is nuts with all the hoops you have to go through but our state community college system and their nursing program is gigantic so I suppose its to be suspected. In other news I just finished my last assignments for Micro and since I don't have a ton of time to study this week for my final I'll be settling with a B. I can fail it and get a B, or ace it and get an A, and I'm unfortunately not going to ace it. Online classes with 100% textbook learning suck.

I'm 100% sure I'll get in to the community college program, but I'm hoping for either that fall start of the school that canceled their summer session or the one year accelerated. I guess its nice to have something in the ol back pocket in case it all falls through again.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Littlepuppingtoto posted:

I used to record the lectures & listen to them on my way to and from class/clinical.

I did that as well and found it to be very helpful, especially if I was doing chores around the house or otherwise wasn't paying 100% attention.

Grad school for regular NPs is mostly women without kids, but there are a handful of men and some older women.
-----

Iron Lung: I wouldn't get a master's degree at a community college.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
We are prohibited from recording lectures for "HIPPA reasons".

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Annath posted:

hahaha your school sucks and is bad

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

lmao.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Madame Psychosis posted:

Iron Lung: I wouldn't get a master's degree at a community college.

The core nursing classes/AAS are at the CC but the masters would come from a private university (GCU if it matters) that you also take some classes through. Does that make a difference?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Annath posted:

I record everything and post it up in our facebook group. :clint:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

White Chocolate posted:

I record everything and post it up in our facebook group. :clint:

I get PDFs of all our textbooks and do the same thing. Its good to the the Tech King of Nursing School

e: Officially accepted into VCU's RN-BS Program for the fall! How hard are the NLN exams for Nutrition and Microbiology? I have to take them to test out of the 4 credit versions of those classes...
Also found out that my application to a Cardiac Mixed unit is currently being reviewed, so that's pretty awesome!

Annath fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Iron Lung posted:

The core nursing classes/AAS are at the CC but the masters would come from a private university (GCU if it matters) that you also take some classes through. Does that make a difference?

GCU as in Grand Canyon University? That's the first result when I Googled. Please don't get yourself involved with a for-profit university program.

Or do, do whatever you'd like.

---
I think maybe they told us not to record but how would they know? Everyone was doing it.