Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Saw this in the N/V thread...but man...that movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0AcBNQlgGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

....... I can do that but I don't wanna

in my dreams

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Welp, my gear got stolen. gently caress.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bootcha posted:

Welp, my gear got stolen. gently caress.

poo poo, that really sucks. Was it stolen from your car/truck or at the rink? Any chance that they got video of the fucker who did it?

We've had a rash of locker room thefts in Phoenix lately. One guy has hit locker rooms in Chandler twice and they have clear images of him and he was spotted at Oceanside at a learn to skate program, but no thefts were reported there. Hopefully, they catch him soon.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/28543266/2015/03/17/chandler-police-search-for-ice-den-burglary-suspect

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Stolen from the truck at a local bar. No idea if the parking lot has cameras. I had another goalie set stolen from my apartment 4-5 years ago. I have the shittiest luck it seems.

I'm really pissed about losing the Bauer helmet though, I loved that thing and was gonna get it painted. I'm sure my stuff's on the side of a highway or in a dumpster right now, not a lot of places in central Texas where hockey gear is in demand outside of the dumb schmuck that had it stolen in the first place. Best I can hope for is the fucker posts it on craigslist.

On the plus side I have a backup helmet (which I don't think will take the paint design very well), a set of ratty monster pads, and a new glove I haven't broken in yet. After the initial shock, and the "do I really want to get a new set of goalie" internal debate, I bought an old TPS Bionic blocker and Bauer chest protector for $80 each, and the rest from TotalGoalie for a little over 7.

Common sense would tell me "gently caress it, goalie gear is expensive, you're done. You still got skater gear, just play D in the lower leagues til you die." But something maddening in the back of my head tells me to keep playing goalie. Despite having some really lovely games and feeling like whatever skill I had is nearly gone, I love playing goalie.

At the least, may this be a public service reminder that fuckers will lift anything, and ya'll should be infinitely anal about locking up your gear when it's anywhere not at the rink or inside your home.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 22, 2015

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bootcha posted:

Stolen from the truck at a local bar. No idea if the parking lot has cameras. I had another goalie set stolen from my apartment 4-5 years ago. I have the shittiest luck it seems.

I'm really pissed about losing the Bauer helmet though, I loved that thing and was gonna get it painted. I'm sure my stuff's on the side of a highway or in a dumpster right now, not a lot of places in central Texas where hockey gear is in demand outside of the dumb schmuck that had it stolen in the first place. Best I can hope for is the fucker posts it on craigslist.

On the plus side I have a backup helmet (which I don't think will take the paint design very well), a set of ratty monster pads, and a new glove I haven't broken in yet. After the initial shock, and the "do I really want to get a new set of goalie" internal debate, I bought an old TPS Bionic blocker and Bauer chest protector for $80 each, and the rest from TotalGoalie for a little over 7.

Common sense would tell me "gently caress it, goalie gear is expensive, you're done. You still got skater gear, just play D in the lower leagues til you die." But something maddening in the back of my head tells me to keep playing goalie. Despite having some really lovely games and feeling like whatever skill I had is nearly gone, I love playing goalie.

At the least, may this be a public service reminder that fuckers will lift anything, and ya'll should be infinitely anal about locking up your gear when it's anywhere not at the rink or inside your home.

Any chance that your car or home/renters insurance would cover the theft? That's horrible that you've had two sets lifted. You should check Play It Again Sports if they have those in your area, since a lot of stolen equipment is dumped off there. I can understand the internal debate of should you continue playing or not. I've had that debate because of injuries, but there's just something unique about playing goalie that you can't find elsewhere and it is very difficult to give that up.

I've been playing with a private group lately and just found out that I was apparently registered to skate with them today and missed the skate. I've never missed a session before where I haven't found a replacement, but in this case I legitimately thought that I was registered for next week and had no idea I was supposed to skate today. It was an honest mistake, but I'm still annoyed with myself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any of you nerds play in the Toronto area? I'm moving downtown (bathurst/lakeshore) 2 weeks from now and I'd love to know where the good spots for shinny are. My level at this point is beginner/med as I've been out of the game way too long to get dropped in at any significantly high level.

I have a feeling I'll be taking the car to Vaughn or Etobicoke or something. At least the new job is strictly 9-5 so I can plan out my nights without "oh poo poo am I actually going to be able to make it?? :supaburn: "

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
My time in the beginner league is starting to get a bit better. I really only allow goals on total D breakdowns with a good offensive reaction or on my stupid mistakes.

I played 2 games in a row yesterday and at the end my feet hurt. I was also having a rough time concentrating and tracking what was going on. I could see the play but keeping focused and getting my body ready to react was tough.

My chest was pounding letting me know it was time for a nap. I know I was a bit dehydrated and my meds cause problems but I could not wait until the second game was over. Starting when you are 50 is kind of dumb.

I am still struggling on deciding when to go down, mainly on crossing passes and when the puck is behind the net and getting near the post. Even on shots I often just stand and deflect it. I worry that am not practicing movement at the speed I need to.

- The crossing passes I mostly just react by skating across with a good T push but I think at a higher level I may need to start sliding across. This is an instinct I have not developed and I am not sure if I should just start sliding on all the passes for the practice.

- I am going down on the post more but I am not able to push across from post to post or even, post to the center of the crease.

I really don't like my leg pads. They are beginners pads and they don't hurt but they have no slide in them. They are already starting to fray at the points where they sew in the straps. I just got married and don't want to go spend more money on pads.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Wooty posted:

My time in the beginner league is starting to get a bit better. I really only allow goals on total D breakdowns with a good offensive reaction or on my stupid mistakes.

I played 2 games in a row yesterday and at the end my feet hurt. I was also having a rough time concentrating and tracking what was going on. I could see the play but keeping focused and getting my body ready to react was tough.

My chest was pounding letting me know it was time for a nap. I know I was a bit dehydrated and my meds cause problems but I could not wait until the second game was over. Starting when you are 50 is kind of dumb.

I am still struggling on deciding when to go down, mainly on crossing passes and when the puck is behind the net and getting near the post. Even on shots I often just stand and deflect it. I worry that am not practicing movement at the speed I need to.

- The crossing passes I mostly just react by skating across with a good T push but I think at a higher level I may need to start sliding across. This is an instinct I have not developed and I am not sure if I should just start sliding on all the passes for the practice.

- I am going down on the post more but I am not able to push across from post to post or even, post to the center of the crease.

I really don't like my leg pads. They are beginners pads and they don't hurt but they have no slide in them. They are already starting to fray at the points where they sew in the straps. I just got married and don't want to go spend more money on pads.

That definitely sounds like dehydration, you've gotta drink a lot more fluids. On average a player loses 2 litres per hour of hockey, goalies lose more.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Sweet jesus jumping christ tonight's game was tough.

Drove 6 hours from near Key West all the way up to Orlando to get home, managed to get a bit of food in before getting to the rink.

We had only 6 skaters total against a team that's 8-1. They got around 50 shots in on me, and we lost 6-4 mostly because they had two crazy fluke goals because I was loving exhausted and so was everyone else on my team.

Really, really wish we had more guys show up tonight cause I'm pretty sure we could've gotten a win.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Bootcha posted:

Sorry to hear about this, but lesson learned. I often times leave my gear (both player and goalie) in the car and have been telling myself "why the hell would anyone even try to steal this?" I guess this is an example of people stealing anything. Don't let lovely luck keep you out of the crease man.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

A little late, but here's last week's GoPro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rBAO0UO4Xw

You're getting a lot better at moving around but I don't get the constant paddle down when you're down. You also tend to go down on the face of your right pad which can slow your pushes and also takes away blocking area.

Now, here's my late GoPro footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj7pIpROvCM
It was a rough first part of the game...

Wooty posted:

Knowing when to go down becomes more instinctual over time but it really shouldn't be before you read the shot or to follow that cross-crease pass. You are right that at a higher level, the T-push for that pass will get you burned.
What leg pads are you currently using?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Had my first game of the season last night, we lost 6-2 and they out shot us 37 to 25 but it was a good game. Their team is one of the worst teams in the division and ours is the newest team, but they had a deeper bench and we ran out of legs in the 3rd period. Just a few too many breakaways and I got a bit unlucky.

I felt like I'm a lot better than last year, on all but one of the goals I at least got a touch on the puck (there was a guy open in the slot that buried it from a baseline pass). There was a wrap around where I got my toe on it (I've really worked on my post integration but I hosed up on this one and had my pad inside the goal line), there was a high shot that grazed past my mask (It's really hard to apply depth perception on shots right at the head). At the end of the first we were 0-0, after the second it was 3-2, we got the first goal, they got 2 back, we got another to tie it and they got one late in the 2nd. They had about 8-10 break aways in the third, I felt like I dealt with them quite well (thanks to all the 1 on 0 drills at practice heh).

My collarbone in sore, I think from a wrister in warm-up (or from when a breakaway drove his body into me drawing no penalty), might need to adjust my chest plate.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Championship game last night and I felt pretty strong but was 1 save too short. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cht4MSB5jMI

Lots of highlight saves throughout specially towards the end but with us having 1/2 our team >40 years old and theirs almost all under 35 we couldn't contain them at times.

On the bright side I should be getting my Passau Pro Pack CA this week.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Feels good to say this: GAME ON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvaq1303Lb0

Oh yeah, Bradf0rd, your 83 guy gave me another whack on my arm at round 7:40. Can you do me a favor and tell him to stop lumberjacking goalies at mixed league?

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 30, 2015

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Forum seemed to eat my last post...

Thanks to everyone who keeps the thread rolling – haven’t been posting in this thread, mostly due to laziness but also because 99% of my posts would have been “lost another game because of my loving gaping maw of a 5-hole” with no gopro footage to share/laugh at. I’ve been skating two/three times a week for the first time since I hurt my back about two years ago, no major problems or flareups. As long as I keep doing foam roller and 10-15 minutes of stretching every day, with another 10-15 minutes of static stretches before leaving for the rink on a skate day and another 10-15 minutes of dynamic stretches once I get to the rink, my back is fine!

I’m strongly considering finally replacing the only set of leg pads I’ve ever owned (RBK X-Pulse 7.0 pads. 33”+0). They’ve done 5 years and are still in pretty good shape, but I want to get same size pads only with +2” riser as well. I really REALLY want to get some Passau Axioms to go with the axiom blocker + glove I’ve had for two years but the price, oh god the price :gonk: They’ll run me nearly $1500 once I add shipping in and I don’t really think I can afford that. Time to raid the house for poo poo to sell to see if I can get close enough to justify it.

In other news, I checked facebook for the first time in months last night, and boy I'm glad I did because I found this waiting for me:

It’s a four hour drive round trip from my house but I can’t wait :) Don’t suppose by any chance that anyone has been to a clinic he’s held before? Really excited to have a goalie coach with those sort of credentials bother to make the trip out to Aus. If I can, I’m going to ask him about my loving FIVE HOLE pad sizing and about getting into coaching myself. Really interested to see what the classroom sessions will involve too.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Getting good instruction helps a lot and if you're lucky, then maybe he can put you in touch with someone local to work with. Also, I'm not sure about the shipping gear to Australia, but I know that they changed their import duties relatively recently, so anything at or under $1,000 AUD can be imported free of import duties, so that may make getting new gear a little easier to stomach.

I played goalie for 3 hours on Saturday, which is a lot of ice time. I started out really well and held the other side scoreless for the first 45 minutes and made a couple nice glove saves and then stayed for a second 90-minute season since one of their goalies had cancelled. I didn't play nearly as well the second session, which was a little faster and I was tired, but I was happy with my play and it was nice to have that 45 minute stretch where I played really well to boost my confidence.

Still not sure what I'm going to do about leagues. I was offered a goalie spot at the league near my house, but I ended up turning that down and I've been working on trying to get a spot in another league that fits my schedule better and I should hear something about that in the next week or two. Either way, I'm not too concerned, because I'm getting enough ice time right now from other sources and I've run into issues with my knees due to overtraining, so I've had to ease back on my level of activity and change my stretching routine, so I'm kind of weary of adding any weekly commitments right now. While I'm not big on milestones, I have passed one year since my last concussion, so hopefully I can keep that streak going.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

aejix posted:

Forum seemed to eat my last post...

Thanks to everyone who keeps the thread rolling – haven’t been posting in this thread, mostly due to laziness but also because 99% of my posts would have been “lost another game because of my loving gaping maw of a 5-hole” with no gopro footage to share/laugh at. I’ve been skating two/three times a week for the first time since I hurt my back about two years ago, no major problems or flareups. As long as I keep doing foam roller and 10-15 minutes of stretching every day, with another 10-15 minutes of static stretches before leaving for the rink on a skate day and another 10-15 minutes of dynamic stretches once I get to the rink, my back is fine!

I’m strongly considering finally replacing the only set of leg pads I’ve ever owned (RBK X-Pulse 7.0 pads. 33”+0). They’ve done 5 years and are still in pretty good shape, but I want to get same size pads only with +2” riser as well. I really REALLY want to get some Passau Axioms to go with the axiom blocker + glove I’ve had for two years but the price, oh god the price :gonk: They’ll run me nearly $1500 once I add shipping in and I don’t really think I can afford that. Time to raid the house for poo poo to sell to see if I can get close enough to justify it.

In other news, I checked facebook for the first time in months last night, and boy I'm glad I did because I found this waiting for me:

It’s a four hour drive round trip from my house but I can’t wait :) Don’t suppose by any chance that anyone has been to a clinic he’s held before? Really excited to have a goalie coach with those sort of credentials bother to make the trip out to Aus. If I can, I’m going to ask him about my loving FIVE HOLE pad sizing and about getting into coaching myself. Really interested to see what the classroom sessions will involve too.

I really wish I could afford to go, but at least each state is sending a goalie rep to learn and spread the knowledge.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
I'll post a little writeup on it when its over. Obviously won't be the same as being on the ice with the guy but hopefully there'll be something useful I can share.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

aejix posted:

I'll post a little writeup on it when its over. Obviously won't be the same as being on the ice with the guy but hopefully there'll be something useful I can share.

I did 4 sessions with the perth thunder goalie last year, it was really good but yeah, can't compare to being on the ice.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

titanium posted:

Championship game last night and I felt pretty strong but was 1 save too short. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cht4MSB5jMI

Lots of highlight saves throughout specially towards the end but with us having 1/2 our team >40 years old and theirs almost all under 35 we couldn't contain them at times.

Your videos (and everyone elses) are as always a treat.

Would you mind doing a photo review / comparison between your old C/A and new one once it arrives?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Also X-posting from the hockey thread:

:siren: HOCKEY DILEMMA TIME :siren:

Choice between splitting at a 4 team tournament where I'll play probably 2 20 minute games for a super chill team of never evers in a cool arena or a full 60 on a SERIOUS BUSINESS team who've just made me "the no.1" on Friday against a team we just crushed 18-1 on the weekend.

I know which I'd probably rather do, but its more the long term implications of telling a team that has just put its stock in me that actually yeah I'd rather play elsewhere that day. Rec hockey in the UK is a strange animal and its not like there is a league structure with lots of teams to choice from - Goalie spots are very limited and ughhh.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Zip! posted:

Choice between splitting at a 4 team tournament where I'll play probably 2 20 minute games for a super chill team of never evers in a cool arena or a full 60 on a SERIOUS BUSINESS team who've just made me "the no.1" on Friday against a team we just crushed 18-1 on the weekend.

I know which I'd probably rather do, but its more the long term implications of telling a team that has just put its stock in me that actually yeah I'd rather play elsewhere that day. Rec hockey in the UK is a strange animal and its not like there is a league structure with lots of teams to choice from - Goalie spots are very limited and ughhh.

Do what makes you happy.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Zip! posted:

Do you not have a team you normally play with on a regular basis?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

UK rec hockey is a weird one - no organised house leagues, no ABCD divisions etc. Teams rent out their own ice and hold weekly team practices but have to arrange challenge matches through the national governing body whenever they can get hold of the holy grail that is ice time at a weekend. Of the 4 rec teams that play out of my local rink, I'm on 3 of them. Each team carries about 30-40 players, has 3 or 4 goalies etc. Despite this insanity, most teams still insist on having a #1 goalie rather than splitting out what little game time there is equally. The chill bros team is seemingly the exception to this where we split games and take turns on who sits or starts.

My choice for that weekend is basically go and have fun or play goalie politics to ensure I keep #1 status for future matches. I'm on the flipside of this situation on the 3rd team I'm on, sitting behind another goalie and its incredibly frustrating to deal with not getting any game time for them. Bleh.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Looks like some Bauer masks are getting recalled

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Just the cages, I think-

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

Knowing when to go down becomes more instinctual over time but it really shouldn't be before you read the shot or to follow that cross-crease pass. You are right that at a higher level, the T-push for that pass will get you burned.
What leg pads are you currently using?

Bauer Reactor 1000

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BulimicGoat posted:

Just the cages, I think-

Hrm, do they cut you, or do they cut others? Because if they cut others, I'd keep it.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

titanium posted:

Glad to see you back posting again! Every time I watch my videos and go, "Man, I'm looking a lot better!" then I see yours and go, "Man...he's good."

Bootcha posted:

Feels good to say this: GAME ON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvaq1303Lb0

Oh yeah, Bradf0rd, your 83 guy gave me another whack on my arm at round 7:40. Can you do me a favor and tell him to stop lumberjacking goalies at mixed league?

Eh, he's going until the whistle. That's what C1 players do.

Here's the camera from the other side of the rink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJGPga6s7Bo

Not my best showing including a weird knuckle-floater shot straight at me.

Wooty posted:

Bauer Reactor 1000

Those are new enough to be made to slide but if they are fraying, you may want to put some duct tape over the frayed spots. It'll keep the water out and add a layer of protection.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Finished our season in 7th place. We play the 2 seed in the playoffs tomorrow night. Won't be an easy game. Playing the team I got back onto ice with a few years back. Great group of guys, but have made significant strides in getting better since then. Will be a very tough game. Although, as a team, only 2 other teams got more points off of the top 4 ranked teams (the first and second place teams), and personally, I finished with by far the most shots against and saves...even with missing a game.

Also, the team that booted me off had by far their worst season since my ex-friend and I had started it. They finished just a couple points ahead of us, and have a brutal road to try and win a championship. After they quite possibly get beat in the first round of the playoffs tomorrow night, I'm really considering a smugpost on facebook, since a handful of the guys on the team I'm still friends with.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Finished our season in 7th place. We play the 2 seed in the playoffs tomorrow night. Won't be an easy game. Playing the team I got back onto ice with a few years back. Great group of guys, but have made significant strides in getting better since then. Will be a very tough game. Although, as a team, only 2 other teams got more points off of the top 4 ranked teams (the first and second place teams), and personally, I finished with by far the most shots against and saves...even with missing a game.

Also, the team that booted me off had by far their worst season since my ex-friend and I had started it. They finished just a couple points ahead of us, and have a brutal road to try and win a championship. After they quite possibly get beat in the first round of the playoffs tomorrow night, I'm really considering a smugpost on facebook, since a handful of the guys on the team I'm still friends with.

Nah don't ruin it by smug posting.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Zip! posted:

UK rec hockey is a weird one - no organised house leagues, no ABCD divisions etc. Teams rent out their own ice and hold weekly team practices but have to arrange challenge matches through the national governing body whenever they can get hold of the holy grail that is ice time at a weekend. Of the 4 rec teams that play out of my local rink, I'm on 3 of them. Each team carries about 30-40 players, has 3 or 4 goalies etc. Despite this insanity, most teams still insist on having a #1 goalie rather than splitting out what little game time there is equally. The chill bros team is seemingly the exception to this where we split games and take turns on who sits or starts.

My choice for that weekend is basically go and have fun or play goalie politics to ensure I keep #1 status for future matches. I'm on the flipside of this situation on the 3rd team I'm on, sitting behind another goalie and its incredibly frustrating to deal with not getting any game time for them. Bleh.
What a weird world to live in. Hopefully it worked out.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Its somewhat working out - chill team don't mind as long as they have a goalie for the tournament and in some respects it'll work out better as they now have another game the following night which our other goalie can't make so he'll play the tournament and I'll play the full game the next night.

Drama is still ramping up on the serious team; practice this week we had 3 other goalies on the ice who were largely ignored for the whole session by the coach who has decided I can only step out of net with his permission - 1 quite rightly had a bit of a tantrum, another has been asked not to come back as he isn't registered to the team. Its all a bit :stare: for me right now - I feel awkward as hell but the whole oversupply vs demand for goalies here means I feel I have to keep my mouth shut.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, when the goalies are clawing over each other for ice time, it's time to set up a league. Find someone who's totally on board with organizing it. Or do the legwork yourself and tell the rink manager you want a fair discount for setting it up.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I worked so hard for this guys, you dont even KNOW.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Well uhh my situation sorted itself out - the goalie the team was pushing out in favor of me just went down with appendicitis and is going to be out for 6 weeks. Sucks for him and thankfully his surgery has gone well and he'll be okay.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
I have literally died. RIP me and every muscle below my shoulders.

Goalie camp was loving awesome. Best $50 I’ve ever spent in my life. In addition to Perry Wilson, we had 6 other goalie coaches who were assisting. Both days we had around 15 goalies so there was PLENTY of 1-to-1 advice and coaching, which was fantastic and a lot more than I had hoped for. Each coach had an ipad which they used to record footage of each goalie individually doing some of the drills, then discussed the video with each goalie while the next goalie performed the drill. I’ll try and remember everything in order as best I can but I’ll probably forget some stuff. We did A LOT of C-cuts, T-pushes and shuffles. My legs are completely hosed today. Please feel free to ask questions if something doesn’t make sense or you’re not sure what the point of a particular drill was because I’m going to miss stuff writing all this up.

No pucks on day 1 – all skating and movement drills. Day 2 had one or two skating drills to start with, then nothing but shooting/puck drills. The thing they focused on the most and really hammered into us multiple times was the Crown drill. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgwjwmrMPg . Cannot stress the importance of this drill enough. We generally only did this drill in standing position with T-pushes but it more or less covers every essential skating movement that forms the foundation of the position. You could do it entirely in the butterfly if you wanted to work on your butterfly movement. They recommended doing a few reps of this drill every single time you go out onto the ice.

They also talked quite a lot about head trajectory and “presentation” of your gloves and blocker. When T-pushing in any direction, first thing you do is rotate your head, keeping your eyes up (not looking down at your feet) and focused on where the puck would be, rotate your torso so that it is square to where the puck would be rather than rotating your torso to be square to your line of travel, if that makes sense? The idea is that you want your shoulders and hands to be square to the puck at all times. I found that I rotate my whole body to face the direction I am T-pushing in, and then I only square back up to the puck when I get there. This means that while I am moving, I am basically side-on to the puck, virtually halving the amount of net I am covering, and also greatly reducing my ability to make an active save with my hands.

Day 1
4:45pm - arrive at rink, bags in changeroom, head outside rink for warmups. Introductions, brief chat, wait for late people to show up. Started warmups around 5pm.

First warmup: Run up flight of stairs (30~ steps), land on each step, lifting knees as high as possible. Try to run back down the stairs as quickly as possible, again landing on every step concentrating on foot speed. Repeat 3 times.

Second warmup: same flight of stairs. Using both feet, jump up each step, trying to use toes/front half of foot, again concentrating on getting knees up and good explosiveness/height on each jump. Focus on foot speed on the way back down the stairs. Repeat 3 times.

Third warmup: same flight of stairs. Leaping 2-3 steps at a time in a zig-zag pattern, alternating between left and right feet. This one aims to warm up your lateral stabilisers/groin. Same foot speed focus on the way back down the steps. Repeat 3 times.

Fourth warmup: Go in a straight line on flat ground for about 20m, jumping off alternate feet as high as possible into the air, bringing knees up as high as possible while reaching upwards with opposite arm. Repeat 3 times.

Head back into rink and get changed.

5:45pm – onto the ice.

Spread out at one end of the ice with one goalie in the crease to show the others how to do first drill.

First drill: Crown drill. The way we did it was start off by sealing left post, T-push out to nearest angle facing the left point, T-push to top of crease, T-push to far angle facing the other point, turn and T-push back to left post. Shuffle across to right hand post, seal post and repeat drill for right-hand side: push out to nearest angle facing right point, T-push to top of crease, T-push to far angle facing left point, turn and T-push back to right post. All goalies would do this at same time, and after each rep of this drill, every goalie would rotate one spot so everyone gets to try it in the crease. Coaches at this point were just observing technique to see what level everyone was at. No feedback/comments yet.

Then we split into two groups at either end of the ice (nets at both ends of the ice). One goalie in net, others observing with coaches from the slot. Goalie in net repeats crown drill for two reps, then goes off to side of ice to get feedback from a coach who was filming, next goalie in line goes to the net and starts crown drill. The T-push technique they were wanting us to focus on was to stop with lead leg/foot only (i.e. load up rear leg, get leading leg into proper T position, push off with rear leg, then all weight on front leg, stopping with front/leading foot only).

Next drill: Line up on the goal line, facing the side boards. Coach whistles/yells “go” and we do one T-push towards the blueline. Rotate the head to look where you’re going, keep torso/hands square to the boards. PUSH HARD. Come to a stop, wait for next whistle and then T-push again towards blueline. Repeat all the way to the blueline. Once you get to the blueline, look back to see your ‘tracks’ in the ice. You’re aiming for a straight line of ice shavings. Then, staying facing the same boards, T-push back from the blueline to the goal line on the whistle. Check your tracks again and see how straight you’re going. Repeat this whole drill again.

Next drill: Same as last drill but with shuffles (no whistles this time, just go from goal line to blueline as fast as you can, then back). Repeat once. My legs felt like they were about to fall off at this point. Yeah yeah stop laughing titanium.

Next drill (I think there was another one between this one and the last one but I can’t remember): Three lines of goalies all facing same direction towards side boards: one along blueline, one on redline and one on other blueline. On the whistle, butterfly slide to your right and recover. Next whistle, butterfly slide back to your left and recover to standing position. Next whistle, butterfly slide again to your left and recover. Next whistle, butterfly slide to your right back to your original starting point and recover. That’s one rep. Did 5 reps of this with coaches wandering in and out advising on technique, stick position, “presentation” of hands etc.

Next drill: Similar to previous drill, only imagine that you are butterfly sliding from the top of your crease back to a post. So from your starting position facing towards the bench, you are butterfly sliding backwards to your right and recover as if you’d be on your post facing the corner. Face forward again, then butterfly slide backwards to your left and recover. So you’re sort of doing butterfly slides in a zig-zag pattern backwards, recovering to standing position after each slide.

Last drill: every goalie lines up on the goal line at one end of the ice. Skate as hard as you can to the blueline, dive onto your stomach and slide, recover to your feet at the red line, skate again as hard as you can to the next blueline, dive again onto your stomach and slide, then recover and skate to the goal line. Turn around and repeat in other direction. Good bit of fun but also surprisingly difficult, for me anyway. Point of it is to get you feeling as comfortable as possible in your gear. Ideally you’re never going to be flopping around on your stomach, but it will happen occasionally and you want to be able to recover from that awkward position and get moving again ASAP.

Finish off with some static stretches on the ice before heading to the changeroom.

I feel like I forgot some stuff. If I remember anything I’ll add more later. I was wrecked after that and spent about five minutes at the boot of my car, hunched over my cooler bag, shovelling handfuls of shaved turkey, baby spinach leaves, cheese and wholemeal pita bread into my mouth before I felt even remotely human again. Drove an hour and a half home and slept like a dead man.

Day 2

2:00pm – classroom session where we watched a couple of videos, coaches asked us questions about what we saw in the videos, then gave us their view. Difficult to really talk about this too much without being able to show you the videos but it was mainly focused on the basics: what is their ‘head trajectory’ like? Are they looking where they are going first or looking down? What does the presentation of their hands look like? Too far forward, leaving gaps between their elbows and torso? Too far back, jamming their posture up? Are they covering their five-hole with their stick as they move or not? That sort of stuff. Then it was basically an open floor where everyone could ask whatever questions they wanted and to get some feedback. I won’t go into all that here because all of the questions were generally very specific to the goalie asking (plus I can’t remember half of the questions haha). Finish up, casual conversation, shoot the poo poo for a while, then head back to the rink.

4:45pm – back at the rink. Head into the carpark for more warmups.

First warmup: same as yesterday. Only two reps this time.

Second warmup: same as yesterday. Only two reps this time.

Third warmup: same as yesterday. Only two reps this time.

Fourth warmup: Split up into groups of four and then each group of 4 splits in two and lines up facing each other about 15m away. Each group of 4 gets a racquetball ball. First person in line bounces the racquetball to the person opposite, then sprints to the back of that line. Repeat for about 2-3 minutes.

Fifth warmup: Same as the fourth, but this time you’re leaping off one foot to the other in a zig-zag line forward, holding for one second on each landing. Person catching the ball has to use one hand only, coaches looking for your head/eyes to be tracking the ball right into your hand.

Sixth warmup: Same as fifth, but you try to take as many small steps as you can, as fast as you possibly can. The idea being that this helps you build/warmup your foot speed.

Last warmup: Same as sixth, but this time doing lunges. Finish up and head into the rink to get changed.

First on-ice drill: all goalies start in a line in the corner below the goal line. Using both feet at the same time, do c-cuts out to the right-hand side of the right hand face-off circle, then use only right-foot c-cuts to follow around the face-off circle towards the slot, then do double-foot c-cuts across the slot to the bottom of left hand face-off circle, then do left foot c-cuts around the face-off circle until facing the blueline, then double-foot c-cuts out to the blueline. Do T-pushes with hard stops across the blueline until you reach the opposite boards. Double foot c-cuts straight ahead to the redline. T-pushes back across the redline all the way to the opposite boards. Double foot c-cuts straight ahead to the next blueline. Turn 180 degrees when you get there and start shuffling across that blueline until you get halfway. Turn back 180 degrees again and then continue your shuffles all the way across to the boards. Double foot c-cuts up to the face-off circle, right foot c-cuts around that circle towards the slot, then double-foot c-cuts across to the other face-off circle, then left foot c-cuts around until you’re facing the goal line, double foot c-cuts down to the goal line. Release a howl of agony.

They then split us into three ‘stations’. One station at each end of the ice with the nets, third station up against the boards at centre ice. I’ll try my best to describe these drills but I’ll probably have to draw some diagrams to help explain at least one of the drills which I won’t be able to do today.

First station (in the crease/net) drill: Shooter A stands below goal line with pucks, about halfway between the net and the corner. Goalie starts in standing position, sealed up against the post facing Shooter A. Shooter B is standing in the centre of the slot. Shooter A passes to B, goalie butterfly slides from post out to top of crease and recovers to standing position. Shooter B takes a shot, goalie makes save, tracks rebound and recovers in position square to where the rebound ends up. T-push back to starting post post facing Shooter A. Shooter A can carry puck over to the opposite corner and pass out to Shooter B (goalie shuffles along as Shooter A goes behind the net). Repeat at high pace until goalie is having near death experience then put next goalie in.

Second station (in the crease/net) drill: Shooter A is below goal line with all pucks but is reasonably close to the post (say 2m). Goalie starts in standing position, sealed up against post facing Shooter A. Shooter B is centred in the slot. Shooter A goes back and forth behind the net, forcing goalie to track pack behind the net (look through the net over your shoulder, shuffling back and forth as Shooter A moves left/right). Shooter A is mainly looking for pass to Shooter B but can go for wrap around if goalie is slow or bites on a fake and shuffles all the way to opposite post too early. Shooter A passes to B, goalie t-pushes out to top of crease, makes save, tracks rebound, recovers and gets square to the rebound.

Third station (centre ice, up against board). First drill: Similar to the crown drill but with slight variation. No shooter/pucks. Goalie starts tight up against either post, keeping it sealed. Shuffle hard to opposite post, t-push out to top of crease, drop into butterfly. Recover and t-push back to original starting post in standing position and seal. Repeat again. Then repeat drill, but this time starting from the other post. This drill kind of sucked because the net wasn’t fixed with pegs so every time you’d t-push back to your post and seal up against the post, you’d knock the net around. With a fixed net, obviously it would be much better. The second drill at this station was the same as the first, but this time when you drop into the butterfly, you butterfly push back to your post instead of recovering to a standing position.

At this point we changed up the drill at the 1st station. I’ll need to draw a diagram but I will try to explain clearly. When I’m saying ‘left’ or ‘right’, I’m looking at it from the goalie’s POV in the crease facing towards centre ice. Shooter A stands more or less at the left face-off dot, but a little closer to the net. Shooter B stands in centre of slot. Shooter C stands in the same position as A but at the right face-off circle. So shooters A, B and C are in a semi-circle around the goalie. Shooter D stands just inside the blueline at the left point. Shooter E starts below the goal line in the corner on the right hand side. Goalie starts the drill on the angle facing shooter A. Shooter A takes shot, goalie makes standing save and T-pushes immediately to top of crease to take shot from Shooter B, makes another standing save, then T-pushes to face Shooter C, who shoots and again goalie makes a standing save. Shooter D then rings puck along the boards, goalie leaves his crease to his right, circling behind the net to trap the puck and leave it there. As soon as the goalie touches the dump-in, Shooter E comes out from the corner and makes their way to the net. Goalie has to get back into position ASAP. Shooter E has all options open: go cross crease, peel back to slot and take a shot, sharp angle shot, wrap around, stuff attempt on short side, whatever they feel like. The intent is to get the goalie used to scrambling back into their net ASAP while tracking Shooter E and making a save. This drill was loving awesome and was by far my favourite.

Finish up with some static stretches on the ice again, big chat to finish the session at centre ice, then off the ice to get changed and go home. Beer never tasted so good.

So yeah that was my first ever goalie camp, and hopefully it won’t be the last. It was loving unreal even though just the thought of doing even one more recovery or another shuffle drill at the moment is giving me night terrors. The coaches didn’t bombard us with information, didn’t try to “correct” differences in style, and kept things relatively simple. Could not recommend it highly enough.

Spookydonut I will try and track down the contact details for one of the assistant coaches there who lives in WA and see if I can get you in contact with him. Great guy, really helpful and really loves coaching. It looks like they are planning on doing this sort of camp a couple times a year, but also trying to roll out a bit of a program to help other people develop goalie coaching abilities because there is hardly anyone goalie-specific training available here. I'm hoping to start helping here in NSW but we'll see how much time I've got, plus I still have a LOT to learn myself before I could say to someone with a straight face "yeah listen to me about goalieing, I know what I'm talking about".

Best weekend ever.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

aejix posted:

Spookydonut I will try and track down the contact details for one of the assistant coaches there who lives in WA and see if I can get you in contact with him. Great guy, really helpful and really loves coaching. It looks like they are planning on doing this sort of camp a couple times a year, but also trying to roll out a bit of a program to help other people develop goalie coaching abilities because there is hardly anyone goalie-specific training available here. I'm hoping to start helping here in NSW but we'll see how much time I've got, plus I still have a LOT to learn myself before I could say to someone with a straight face "yeah listen to me about goalieing, I know what I'm talking about".

Best weekend ever.

Is it Levon? He's the WAIHA goalie rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Good well be but unfortunately I can't remember his name. I'll ask Sera and let you know. You done training with him?

• Locked thread