Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
That "baby unicorn" looks like one of the Vagan suits from AGE with the armor stripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What was that thing anyway? Horn looked a bit like Unicorns, but otherwise it looked like it's own thing, one that hadn't had eye stickers applied.

E: ^^ annoying timing, you might be right.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In the end, I actually liked Sekai more than Reij... who had no real agency outside of Aila, and whose contribution to the part of the overall plot that concerned him was being absolutely unaware of the things that were happening around him or who the people reacting to his presence even were.

And I say that as someone who really likes Reiji.

To each their own though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

In the end, I actually liked Sekai more than Reij... who had no real agency outside of Aila, and whose contribution to the part of the overall plot that concerned him was being absolutely unaware of the things that were happening around him or who the people reacting to his presence even were.

And I say that as someone who really likes Reiji.

To each their own though.

Reiji went out and learned how to play Gunpla Battle with Ramba Ral, but he kept on practicing of his own volition. Hell, he got Fellini to spar with him for 200 straight matches just so he'd be ready for the tournaments. Reiji also was drawn into learning how to build gunpla alongside Aila by force, but he still chose to keep at it (and kept using his own Beginning Gundam) so he'd understand Sei's passion better. He was even able to help fix the SBS for the match against the Sengoku Astray.

Sekai in comparison has done pretty much jack-squat of his own initiative in relation to Gunpla, save for the swimming training early on.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I think sekai did at one point help file off parts of the Burning. For what purpose I do not know.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

I think sekai did at one point help file off parts of the Burning. For what purpose I do not know.

Yeah, but it was barely "sit down, do this exactly as I tell you" in a way that anyone would've sufficed. Reiji at least knew what he was doing by the time of the Sengoku Astray fight.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Reiji went out and learned how to play Gunpla Battle with Ramba Ral, but he kept on practicing of his own volition. Hell, he got Fellini to spar with him for 200 straight matches just so he'd be ready for the tournaments. Reiji also was drawn into learning how to build gunpla alongside Aila by force, but he still chose to keep at it (and kept using his own Beginning Gundam) so he'd understand Sei's passion better. He was even able to help fix the SBS for the match against the Sengoku Astray.

Sekai in comparison has done pretty much jack-squat of his own initiative in relation to Gunpla, save for the swimming training early on.

... I'm not really talking about how much they spent working on or building model kits, though. Like, at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

... I'm not really talking about how much they spent working on or building model kits, though. Like, at all.

Uh, you are aware that him not reacting to the Chairman was explicitly part of the plot, right? He hadn't a clue what the Chairman's deal is with him, yet the Chairman spent the entire tournament arc pointlessly freaking the gently caress out over Reiji learning his true identity.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Sekai basically just ended up disappointing to me. He has a lot of flashes of a decent character in there, but he never gets used as such. His reaction to Tryon 3's first combination, the arguing with Yuuma, things that showed he had more to him than being an "ace" for the Try Fighters.

But hot drat do I know what his special school is called.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chairman Mashita and Miss Baker were an excellent side plot. I wonder if Try would've benefited from having a similar SUPER IMPORTANT AND DANGEROUS plotting enemy. Of course Try also lacked side characters, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Chairman Mashita and Miss Baker were an excellent side plot. I wonder if Try would've benefited from having a similar SUPER IMPORTANT AND DANGEROUS plotting enemy. Of course Try also lacked side characters, etc.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the next season will be just Try Fighters running into the world-tier rivals from the first season :allears:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chairman Mashita worked because he was an extension of the "this isn't actually important" thing. So they could have a dramatic subplot that was also played for comedy because it literally only mattered in his head. Try could have gone full-on into Assimilation being some important plot point but I don't think that would have helped anything since Assimilation is so utterly divorced from what makes the show work.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wasn't there some throw away line about 'copying fighters' or something about halfway through Try that people thought might a serious side plot thing developing or did I dream that?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh, you are aware that him not reacting to the Chairman was explicitly part of the plot, right? He hadn't a clue what the Chairman's deal is with him, yet the Chairman spent the entire tournament arc pointlessly freaking the gently caress out over Reiji learning his true identity.

That doesn't change the fact that outside of Aila, and a few diversions, his reaction to most of the story is to enable what other people want and are doing. There are diversions and fun moments with him, but he's definitely more a supporting protagonist than anything.

I don't dislike him even remotely. I'm just saying which kid I liked better.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

ImpAtom posted:

Try could have gone full-on into Assimilation being some important plot point but I don't think that would have helped anything since Assimilation is so utterly divorced from what makes the show work.

Fitting.

Assimilation is all about telling us that Sekai is SO PASSIONATE about the gunpla fight, so much that he has no real need to deal with the Gundam part of the show. A concept so separate from the show for a character so far removed from the rest of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Wasn't there some throw away line about 'copying fighters' or something about halfway through Try that people thought might a serious side plot thing developing or did I dream that?

I think that was something this thread and probably elsewhere made up entirely out of whole cloth purely on the basis of Sleggar.

vvvv Also Reiji actually had charisma. Sekai is just nothing. Hell, has Sekai even so much as gotten mad about anything? Compare that to Reiji diving in and sacrificing the first gunpla he ever built to stop Aila from trashing Wing Fenice further.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 29, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

That doesn't change the fact that outside of Aila, and a few diversions, his reaction to most of the story is to enable what other people want and are doing. There are diversions and fun moments with him, but he's definitely more a supporting protagonist than anything.

And that's because he's not the protagonist - Sei is. The problem with Sekai is that he is jammed into the role of protagonist instead of the same supporting role as Reiji.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think regulating characters to that kind of role would just make people judge characters in comparison to previous ones MORE, but. I'm obviously not going to convince you. So let's leave it there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

How does any of that follow with Sekai doing any better?

Literally all Sekai does in the plot is fight good. Fumina and Yuuma both drive the story more than he does. Even beyond that Sekai actually basically does almost nothing in the second half of the show. His entire thing is being the best fighter but he actually isn't very good!

Once they get their upgrades:
He helps take out the enemies in their debut but that's pretty much on-par with the rest of the team. (If anything Yuuma steals the show here by keeping up with the enemy team's ace.)
He gets taken out by the SD Gundams. He helps take them down but he's down first and Yuuma and Fumina carry the day.
He fights Junya one-on-one but only because Fumina and Yuuma let him. He doesn't even really win this fight because they had a 3v1 advantage and his loss wouldn't have meant anything.
He is taken out first again by Tryon-3.
He does defeat the Gunpla Academy but only after a last-minute time out saves him and Yuuma repairs his robot. His robot is in superior condition because Yuuma and Sakai spent the time rebuilding the robots to be interchangable.

Meanwhile had absolutely no meaningful subplots besides the Junya one which was literally done in an episode. Even his Harem Anime Bullshit vanished off the face of the earth. Yuuma was more of a protagonist than Sekai was in the second half of the show.

I can understand liking Sekai but claiming he mattered more to the plot than Reiji is kind of bewildering.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

How does any of that follow with Sekai doing any better?

Literally all Sekai does in the plot is fight good. Fumina and Yuuma both drive the story more than he does. Even beyond that Sekai actually basically does almost nothing in the second half of the show. His entire thing is being the best fighter but he actually isn't very good!

Once they get their upgrades:
He helps take out the enemies in their debut but that's pretty much on-par with the rest of the team. (If anything Yuuma steals the show here by keeping up with the enemy team's ace.)
He gets taken out by the SD Gundams. He helps take them down but he's down first and Yuuma and Fumina carry the day.
He fights Junya one-on-one but only because Fumina and Yuuma let him. He doesn't even really win this fight because they had a 3v1 advantage and his loss wouldn't have meant anything.
He is taken out first again by Tryon-3.
He does defeat the Gunpla Academy but only after a last-minute time out saves him and Yuuma repairs his robot. His robot is in superior condition because Yuuma and Sakai spent the time rebuilding the robots to be interchangable.

Meanwhile had absolutely no meaningful subplots besides the Junya one which was literally done in an episode. Even his Harem Anime Bullshit vanished off the face of the earth. Yuuma was more of a protagonist than Sekai was in the second half of the show.

I can understand liking Sekai but claiming he mattered more to the plot than Reiji is kind of bewildering.

Don't forget Shia polishing the Burning Gundam up so it'd pull Assimilation the first time against the Mega-Shiki.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Because everything Reiji wants is something someone ELSE wants. Even with Aila, he's more reaching out to and supporting someone else's characterization than he is actively doing something for himself. Him "not being the actual protagonist" doesn't really fully write that off for me because everyone else in the series wants and has a dream and a desire to be there beyond just being a bro.

And again, I don't dislike Reiji at all and I find him incredibly entertaining. But he's a satellite in Sei's orbit in a way no one else in the show is, so that limits him for me.

Think what you will about Sekai. I don't care. I'm just sharing my personal thoughts here.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know for all the poo poo I gave Yuuma early on, I really do have to acknowledge that he got pretty damned rad by the end of the series. If only the same had happened for Fumina (and that Real Mode Star Winning had gotten more than like 1 minute tops of screen time).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because everything Reiji wants is something someone ELSE wants. Even with Aila, he's more reaching out to and supporting someone else's characterization than he is actively doing something for himself. Him "not being the actual protagonist" doesn't really fully write that off for me because everyone else in the series wants and has a dream and a desire to be there beyond just being a bro.

Except Reiji specifically was motivated by what he wanted. He started Gunpla fighting because he promised to help Sei but he kept doing it because of his fight with Yuuki which made him really really get into it. Reiji's characterization is someone who is kinda 'eh' until he gets really into something and then he forces Fellini to battle him 200 times in a row so he can get good.

chumbler posted:

You know for all the poo poo I gave Yuuma early on, I really do have to acknowledge that he got pretty damned rad by the end of the series. If only the same had happened for Fumina (and that Real Mode Star Winning had gotten more than like 1 minute tops of screen time).

Real Mode Star Winning got a fair bit of screen time it just was never ever animated.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I never really expected or wanted Real Mode to be anything more than Fumina's trump card. It would have felt like it was eclipsing the SD, IMO.

quote:

Except Reiji specifically was motivated by what he wanted. He started Gunpla fighting because he promised to help Sei but he kept doing it because of his fight with Yuuki which made him really really get into it.

And... it doesn't really make much of an impact because that overlaps with Sei having the same rivalry.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget Shia polishing the Burning Gundam up so it'd pull Assimilation the first time against the Mega-Shiki.

Shia wasn't introduced until after the Mega-Shiki had already been defeated.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm assuming you mean Transient, not Mega-Shiki.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

And... it doesn't really make much of an impact because that overlaps with Sei having the same rivalry.

You're moving the goalposts pretty hard here.

Reiji is literally motivated by the same thing Sekai is. He wants to fight strong people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Shia wasn't introduced until after the Mega-Shiki had already been defeated.

Ah poo poo, you're right. Same point, different interchangeable rival :v:.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

THE GROUPIES, THE BOOZE, THE ALL NIGHT JAMS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never really expected or wanted Real Mode to be anything more than Fumina's trump card. It would have felt like it was eclipsing the SD, IMO.

Except Sei wasn't the one actually doing the fighting. Reiji's the one who actually went toe-to-toe with Yuuki and got his rear end handed to him. Getting that fight pushed into the World Cup gave him motivation for participating (aside from his promise to Sei), because he wanted another round against Yuuki and knew he'd have to go through a dozen-odd different contenders to get there. Sekai's rivalries consisted of "Oh boy, a new guy to Jigen Haoh Ryu into bits :downs:."

ImpAtom posted:

Except Reiji specifically was motivated by what he wanted. He started Gunpla fighting because he promised to help Sei but he kept doing it because of his fight with Yuuki which made him really really get into it. Reiji's characterization is someone who is kinda 'eh' until he gets really into something and then he forces Fellini to battle him 200 times in a row so he can get good.

Also, wanting to help others is an actual character trait for Reiji - he's a chivalrous prince from what's pretty much a fantasy kingdom:.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TFRazorsaw posted:

It...kind of already did, though. After Fumina pulls out the Real Mode for the first time at the end of the SD-R fight, it's pretty much all the Winning ever does besides get wrecked and blow up. The one time it did something neat in SD mode was when Junya's teammate tried to stop it from transforming into Real Mode to end the fight. We got the worst of both worlds because it stopped doing all the cool SD mode stuff but its equally cool Real Mode never actually got to do anything besides fire Winning Beams.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, but that comes down to her level of prominence in a lot of fights, and as such is the typical case with female characters in shounen series. Remember when the coolest thing the Miss Sazabi got to do was push something out of the way?

Everyone acted like Real Mode would be what she started deploying in all the time. That wasn't the case, and the end result was, while not satisfactory at all and problematic in terms of the genre as a whole, what I expected.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah, but that comes down to her level of prominence in a lot of fights, and as such is the typical case with female characters in shounen series. Remember when the coolest thing the Miss Sazabi got to do was push something out of the way?

Everyone acted like Real Mode would be what she started deploying in all the time. That wasn't the case, and the end result was, while not satisfactory at all and problematic in terms of the genre as a whole, what I expected.

The point is that it wasn't a trump card, it was her first resort in every situation that she was involved in from the moment it was introduced. It already eclipsed the SD totally.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Still listening to "Fight. For the god you believe in" and it bums me out that we probably wont ever see it in the show, since the tones so completely at odds with what the next episode is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Honestly I'm wondering if we'll even hear infinity times the passion. Were these songs just not composed fast enough?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Ah well you see Sekai is the main character so we can only have his theme playing all the time. Never mind that the people hired to make the soundtrack are loving amazing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly I'm wondering if we'll even hear infinity times the passion. Were these songs just not composed fast enough?

I think Shin Jigen Haou Ryuu played for Mirai in the race fight, but otherwise, a lot of these tracks seem under used. Shame, since a lot of them are really good.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Maybe the unused songs'll run over into the movie/third series.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgRaknI3SZs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT FOR THESE UNITS TO APPEAR IN SUPER ROBOT WARS.

• Locked thread