Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any decent Gunpowder Era fantasy novels out there? And don't say Harry Turtledove.

The third and fourth of Gemmell's Rigante novels are set in the gunpowder era. Also technically his Jon Shannow novels, although those are post-apocalyptic and society has fallen back to the point where the percussion cap has just been rediscovered.

Also Amber, sort of. Our world is contemporary, but Amber itself is mediaeval and a major plot point revolves around Corwin introducing gunpowder warfare to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

navyjack posted:

History book, eh?

It's basically not-France (re-)colonizing not-North Africa . There's not even a little bit of nuance in there.

Seriously, it's 201x and dude writes a book like that, main plot could have been straight out of cheap 19th-century hoo-rah trash.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
got this in the mail

https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Israeli-War-1999-Howard-Waldrop/dp/0345277368/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Snuffman posted:

Stick with just Hitchhiker's and Restaurant. Maybe "Life"...but the series goes downhill "Life" onwards. I stand by this. :colbert:

The back end of the series is worth it just for the bit on sandwiches.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Thirding or fourthing the Powder Mage series.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

fritz posted:

It's basically not-France (re-)colonizing not-North Africa . There's not even a little bit of nuance in there.

Seriously, it's 201x and dude writes a book like that, main plot could have been straight out of cheap 19th-century hoo-rah trash.

You don't need to keep hyping it for me, I already bought it.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
I thought The Thousand Names had a very readable style. But I didn't get very far.

There's a saying that, if you read a fantasy novel close enough, you can tell when the author started touching themselves. With that book, I think it started with the word "battle square" and didn't stop until 100 pages of tactical formation descriptions later.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

fritz posted:

So? I'm failing to see a problem beyond reactionary hand-wringing.

'If we never think about it, it never happened!'

PS. also buying the book now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

So? I'm failing to see a problem beyond reactionary hand-wringing.

'If we never think about it, it never happened!'

PS. also buying the book now.

I haven't read this book, but there is a MASSIVE difference between writing something that parallels history and writing something that glorifies our ugly history. Believe it or not, but this is important.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fritz posted:

This book is hundreds of pages of white colonialists regularly outwitting and blowing up indigenous non-white strongly-religious people wholesale.

At least it's not Harry Turtledove

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

I haven't read this book, but there is a MASSIVE difference between writing something that parallels history and writing something that glorifies our ugly history. Believe it or not, but this is important.

Maybe the people complaining about it should say how much of it they've read?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

fritz posted:

I'm pretty sure he just wanted to rewrite Sharpe's Rifles with some magic tacked on. In that, he succeeded.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

blue squares posted:

Should German publishers (or any really) publish Mein Kampf y/n?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Drifter posted:

Maybe the people complaining about it should say how much of it they've read?

I bought and read the entirety of the first book in the series based on a mini-review of the second that made it sound like the kind of thing that would be totally up my alley.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

Should German publishers (or any really) publish Mein Kampf y/n?

Not the same thing. Plus, I said nothing about censorship. People can express themselves however they want, as long as they aren't directly hurting people. But some forms of expression are better than others.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Well that's arguable, and I was using it to gauge your stance(s).

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
^^^^^I have read it and it doesn't try to glorify colonialism, if anything it portrays the Euro-parallel occupying country's ruling class and top military leadership as out-of-touch, decaying failures of institutions for stubbornly trying to hold onto their colonies way past the point of futility and stupidity, and also for holding onto social policies & traditions that treat their own lower classes very poorly. edit:(the Django Wexler series that is)

savinhill posted:

I started reading Low Town by Daniel Polansky today and, man, it's really good so far. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9755449-low-town?from_search=true It's been out a few years already, don't know how it escaped my attention all that time, this is the low-magic, dark type fantasy I like the best.

I finished this and liked it a lot. It was a noir novel in a slum-city fantasy setting. It had a great plot featuring military wizards experimenting with Lovecraftian dark magic and it's aftermath. It also had some good characters, including a first for me of a medieval-fantasy rapper. Really fast, enjoyable read.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 31, 2015

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

fritz posted:

I got a serious napoleon in Egypt vibe out of it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any decent Gunpowder Era fantasy novels out there? And don't say Harry Turtledove.

H Beam Piper's Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen is pretty drat good.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mllaneza posted:

H Beam Piper's Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen is pretty drat good.

Another series I just remembered with the gunpowder, cannons and all is Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

vuk83 posted:

I got a serious napoleon in Egypt vibe out of it.

This is pretty much explicitly what's going on. Book one is Sherlock Napoleon in Magic Egypt, book two is the not-French revolution in Paris-London, and from the epilogue to 2, #3 will be the Holy War of the Grand Coalition. I guess there are less interesting portions of history you could jam wholesale into your fantasy 18th century setting?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Doesn't he know the Revolution was before Napoleon's reign!?!

Gross negligence of history, appalling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Polikarpov posted:

I'm pretty sure he just wanted to rewrite Sharpe's Rifles with some magic tacked on. In that, he succeeded.

In which case, why bother? Sharpe is still awesome without extraneous magic. Perhaps fantasy wasn't the best word to describe what I'm after. I'm not so much about the magic as I am about a fictional world entering the industrial era. In that I've seen very few works outside of the novels suggested here. Before you guys told me, pretty much the only thing I noticed with this vibe was Fable 3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Read Pavane.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/599588.Pavane?from_search=true

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

savinhill posted:

I finished this and liked it a lot. It was a noir novel in a slum-city fantasy setting. It had a great plot featuring military wizards experimenting with Lovecraftian dark magic and it's aftermath. It also had some good characters, including a first for me of a medieval-fantasy rapper. Really fast, enjoyable read.

One thing I really liked about this series is that the protagonist is a crime lord who feels refreshingly gritty. He's not a slick talking con artist or some rapier-wielding prince of thieves or shadowy master assassin. He's a drug dealer who rules his patch because he arranges for anybody intruding on his turf to die, which I found to be a refreshing change of pace.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

fritz posted:

This book is hundreds of pages of white colonialists regularly outwitting and blowing up indigenous non-white strongly-religious people wholesale.

Non-fiction doesn't belong in the Sci-Fi thread. :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting that Low Town/The Straight Razor Cure is getting this much buzz - Ferretbrain and Strange Horizons didn't like it at all.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Half-Made World is about a conflict between magic train demons and magic gun demons in a U.S. style old-west colonial expansion setting.

It's also really drat good.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Seldom Posts posted:

The Half-Made World is about a conflict between magic train demons and magic gun demons in a U.S. style old-west colonial expansion setting.

It's also really drat good.
I'm going to second this. Awesome book.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Thirding it. It's one of my favorite fantasy novels I've read in a long while. The sort-of-sequel, The Rise of Ransom City, is also good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rabbit Hill posted:

Thirding it. It's one of my favorite fantasy novels I've read in a long while. The sort-of-sequel, The Rise of Ransom City, is also good.
Is it? I kind of waved over that one after not being able to finish The Revolutions but it might be worth a try. Does it actually continue the story from Half-made World?
I mean, yeah, sort-of sequel, it's about different characters, but the first book just... fizzles.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Is it? I kind of waved over that one after not being able to finish The Revolutions but it might be worth a try. Does it actually continue the story from Half-made World?
I mean, yeah, sort-of sequel, it's about different characters, but the first book just... fizzles.

It takes place chronologically afterwards and has a few scenes with the original characters, but it's really more of a side-quel or something than a straightforward sequel. I liked it a whole lot though, it still touches on the frontier mythology of the original, but it's also really American Dream(tm)-ish.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Apparently the new StoryBundle is a bunch of time travel books. Anything good? I know I don't hate Kevin J. Anderson, but I don't know if I like him enough to buy an entire bundle, because he can be hit-or-miss.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Amberskin posted:

Aaaand... I'm done with the Three Body Problem.

Seriously. Get the book. It is loving good.

Agreed, it owned. The juxtaposition of the Cultural Revolution bullshit with rear end in a top hat alien contact really made it special.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Groke posted:

Agreed, it owned. The juxtaposition of the Cultural Revolution bullshit with rear end in a top hat alien contact really made it special.

The insights into chinese culture are nice. And, by the way, if the author were a westerner that hilarious computer construction project, solved simply adding more chinese people into the fray would be very close to a bad taste ethnical joke.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

savinhill posted:

Another series I just remembered with the gunpowder, cannons and all is Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God.

It has it's moments. It rather wanders tonally however and even the author is on record as saying the last book is rushed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Amberskin posted:

The insights into chinese culture are nice. And, by the way, if the author were a westerner that hilarious computer construction project, solved simply adding more chinese people into the fray would be very close to a bad taste ethnical joke.

its still bad taste, everything must be ethically pure imho

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Haha you have to be kidding me, now the PC brigade are theorizing racist writing?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I started reading "The Reality Dsyfunction" by Peter Hamilton. It started great. Then I felt something was off when the space commie atheists, the edenist, started explaining how logical it was that they didn't believe in God in the way no atheist ever does. Then the book sets up the Adamist as the conflicting side as the space Christians. I've set the book down because I'm at the point now where it's been revealed that the convict indentured servant/slave is literally a space satanist there to prey on the space Christians. I caught a glimpse in the Wikipedia about souls from hell coming back, like Al Capone, and being the main villians. Did I pick up some Left Behind bullshit or does it actually get not dumb quickly, or is it space hell the whole way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's literally about souls coming back from the 'beyond' (which is an afterlife with a sort of Star Trek soft science justification, not a religious construct) and possessing people. Honestly as a ludicrous space opera conceit I think it's pretty cool, but I haven't read it since I was a teenager.