Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I used to think people responding "yes" to questions involving the word "or" were just using corny dad humor. Surely no functional literate adult could misunderstand something so simple, I told myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Inspector_666 posted:

Is the idea of replacing somebody's SATA cables with known bad ones hilarious to you?

Do you think that's anything close to a good analogy?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Inspector_666 posted:

Is the idea of replacing somebody's SATA cables with known bad ones hilarious to you?

I don't have time for people who can't put up with my bullshit.

You're loving people over under the guise of a learning experience, it is a very good analogy.

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 30, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

chemosh6969 posted:

I guess you missed this thread the last time someone was being a petty rear end in a top hat just for the hell of it.

For those that missed it someone came into the thread explaining how they replaced someone's working SATA cable with a bad one so they could watch them try to fix it forever. The entire point was to be a giant twat but was framed as someone trying to "teach" something.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sickening posted:

I guess you missed this thread the last time someone was being a petty rear end in a top hat just for the hell of it.

For those that missed it someone came into the thread explaining how they replaced someone's working SATA cable with a bad one so they could watch them try to fix it forever. The entire point was to be a giant twat but was framed as someone trying to "teach" something.

Don't forget the person they sabotaged was someone they were complaining about not getting enough work done.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

chemosh6969 posted:

You are nowhere close to the moral high ground here. You created a lot of needless frustration for the person you were "helping," a lot of extra work for the IT department, and added yet another reason for people to think IT is a bunch of unhelpful assholes (because you were an unhelpful rear end in a top hat). In this particular case, you should have acted like an adult and gently directed this person's attention back to you so you could continue the lesson. If it was obvious from context that this was not a good time, you should have asked to reschedule the lesson. Instead you threw a nerd tantrum.

I'm all for good-natured pranks among colleagues (replacing their desktop background with Hasselhoff beefcake or something), as long as I know they can handle it (do it to fellow IT guys, not the HR lady who can barely find her computer's power button, for instance). But this was just petty revenge that caused problems for people who weren't even involved. If you were working with or for me I would be talking to you about where the line is and how you crossed it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You don't play jokes on someone when there's a power imbalance.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chemosh6969 posted:

Aside from it being a reference, yes I do.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

J posted:

Don't forget the person they sabotaged was someone they were complaining about not getting enough work done.

Aww yes, the cherry on the poo poo sundae. :psyboom:

How could I have forgotten that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've had a few people ask, "Hey, what are some ways to break [this program]? I want to see if [person here] knows what s/he is doing."

Apparently, performing sabotage upon elements that rarely if ever break in practice is a good way to test someone's capacity to contribute to your environment. "Hey, let's see how well you do in an irrelevant, artificial situation that has no relation to how our business actually works at all."

Worse are the people who start answering with theorycrafting on wicked, impossible-in-nature ways to break stable elements of software as if they had something to prove.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I guess sensible tests like "forget to configure the ODBC connection for x database" or "apply the bad Microsoft patch from last week" are not as sexy as "implement x code change in Outlook" and "run x batch script every five minutes and repeating after boot."

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

ponzicar posted:

I used to think people responding "yes" to questions involving the word "or" were just using corny dad humor. Surely no functional literate adult could misunderstand something so simple, I told myself.

They're just operating on boolean logic. At least one of the two options was true, so they return "Yes";

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

chemosh6969 posted:

I was helping someone on their computer a couple years ago and even though they were looking over my shoulder but apparently not very well. One of the things I did was to install the extension that reverses genders. So the wiki page for Boy Scouts would now say Girl Scouts. She didn't notice anything I was doing and a few weeks later she was complaining about chrome. She said our main IT dept spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what was going on and their next step was to re-image it. I showed her how to turn off the extension.
Ticket #2
webpages are all hosed up.

20 minutes of diagnostics later...the dumbass who installed the extension (that would be you, by the way) gets to find a new job.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TopherCStone posted:

They're just operating on boolean logic. At least one of the two options was true, so they return "Yes";

Basically this. Their minds see it as "hey, is the answer to X either Y or Z?" when in reality, it's actually "Hey, is the answer to X Y, or Z?". Subtle, but the difference is tremendous.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Sickening posted:

Was the cable completely bad or somehow partially working?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

chemosh6969 posted:

Completely bad. Nothing looked wrong with it, though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

chemosh6969 posted:

It was completely bad, as in his workstation wouldn't boot since the hard drive was disconnected, IIRC.

Since I have a feeling I know what point you're going to try and make next, let me save you from embarrassing yourself further. The point is that he wasted a bunch of someone else's time for no reason other than he thought he was better than the victim and wanted to teach him a lesson. Sound familiar? The fact that his was brick-wall sabotage and yours was an annoyance doesn't really matter, since in the end they both caused someone else to waste a bunch of time for no reason. It still makes you an rear end in a top hat for doing it.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Re: stupid assholish pranks

The members of an organization thought it would be loving hilarious to get the key to my desk drawer and proceed to lock my keyboard and mouse in the drawer and hide the key behind a ceiling tile as a lesson to the new guy.

E: And my loving desk phone too!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Interfering with someone's productivity is a dick move. My last job, the only thing we did, was changing someone's desktop background when they left their computer unlocked.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

A department manager where I work found one of her reports' computers unlocked, so she sat down and emailed herself a rather rude, mean, nasty (but non-profane) note. Then when he came back, she came to his desk with the note printed out and asked him what he meant by that, didn't he know how hurtful those things were, etc.

Once he'd squirmed enough, she let in in on the joke and pointed out that what she was supposed to have done is fire him. (We work with sensitive information, the company is remarkably unforgiving on that topic, and he'd been warned before..) He got the message, and as far as I know, has never left the computer unlocked again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The members of an organization thought it would be loving hilarious to get the key to my desk drawer and proceed to lock my keyboard and mouse in the drawer and hide the key behind a ceiling tile as a lesson to the new guy.

Wad this some kind of new employee hazing or what?

A friendly reminder that this discussion is happening one day before the annual Stupid Assholish Prank Day. Also known as Don't Believe Anything You Read On The Internet Day.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today is Christopher Walken's birthday. When you talk to people, do so in his voice.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Today... is ChristopherWalken's BIRTHday. When... you talk... to PEople, do so in HIS voice.

Ok.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but don't want to open up a new thread:

Is is possible to use the task scheduler in windows 8 to schedule a password change on the user account logged in?

I want to schedule the password for the account to change on a specific time and date.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

WMain00 posted:

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but don't want to open up a new thread:

Is is possible to use the task scheduler in windows 8 to schedule a password change on the user account logged in?

I want to schedule the password for the account to change on a specific time and date.
A local account or a domain account?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

anthonypants posted:

A local account or a domain account?

Local

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
You could probably tell the task scheduler to run a powershell script to change the expiration date, but it's going to be a little more than that if you're looking for any currently logged-in account and not a specific one.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

pr0digal posted:

Tech Genesis 1:3

Outlook said "Let there be another PDF", and there was another PDF

Its pretty much a miracle.

We are stumped, I think I'm going to have our Exchange admin open a case with Microsoft because gently caress this witchcraft

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ZetsurinPower posted:

Its pretty much a miracle.

We are stumped, I think I'm going to have our Exchange admin open a case with Microsoft because gently caress this witchcraft

Was it just a duplicate, or did the mystery pdf contain unholy incantations, or perhaps the rantings of the souls of the damned?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

anthonypants posted:

You could probably tell the task scheduler to run a powershell script to change the expiration date, but it's going to be a little more than that if you're looking for any currently logged-in account and not a specific one.

drat....nah i'm more looking to deliberately reset and change the password to one I enter for a specific date rather than just have it reset.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

ponzicar posted:

Was it just a duplicate, or did the mystery pdf contain unholy incantations, or perhaps the rantings of the souls of the damned?

Not a duplicate, they were 2 different PDFs. Neither had any voodoo, but it did seemingly appear out of the Ether. Maybe thats why its called Ethernet?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any recommendation for an inventory management software?

My ops manager is looking to keep track of machine/automotive parts in stock and where they are being distributed in our yard. IE new battery went from storage to truck 0801. They want an audit trail so we know where our poo poo is going.

I know there are a lot of free inventory management suites but from what I can find most of them are just a simple "This was on your shelf, now it's sold. Take it out of inventory".

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Che Delilas posted:

Since I have a feeling I know what point you're going to try and make next, let me save you from embarrassing yourself further.

And that would make you 100% wrong.

I was asking because I was curious. I was also wondering if the dude did something extra crazy like work one of the wires so it would occasionally short out. Based on what people were saying, I could see that as a possibility.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

WMain00 posted:

drat....nah i'm more looking to deliberately reset and change the password to one I enter for a specific date rather than just have it reset.
That's not going to do a lot for someone who's already logged in.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

chemosh6969 posted:

And that would make you 100% wrong.

When the shovel you're using to dig that hole breaks, I have an extra one.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

porktree posted:

When the shovel you're using to dig that hole breaks, I have an extra one.

Make sure it's a faulty shovel though so he has to spend time to figure out why the holes' not getting deeper.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Some while ago the guys on my table were loving with one dude by messing with his wireless mouse; putting tape on the laser, swapping it with another mouse etc. It's all fun and games until you look into the Server/Storage room and see the loving rack of mismatched mice and keyboards that I have no idea what is paired to what dongle because people think it's cool to borrow each others equipment.

Also an E-mail came in at the end of the day; apparently we're going to trial a new customer/document management system for our customers to use on top of Salesforce with no integration, nobody informed me until now and there were audible gasps when I e-mailed back "What is this?". Then the MD just says to go balls deep and throw it at customers to see how it works. :waycool:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sirotan posted:

A friendly reminder that this discussion is happening one day before the annual Stupid Assholish Prank Day. Also known as Don't Believe Anything You Read On The Internet Day.

Ug, I can't stand socially awkward people trying and failing to be funny.
At least google maps understands.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Super Slash posted:

Some while ago the guys on my table were loving with one dude by messing with his wireless mouse; putting tape on the laser, swapping it with another mouse etc. It's all fun and games until you look into the Server/Storage room and see the loving rack of mismatched mice and keyboards that I have no idea what is paired to what dongle because people think it's cool to borrow each others equipment.
Logitech might be more expensive than dell, but it would be awesome to be able to re-use that pile of crap mismatched keyboard/mice sitting in the equipment room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

duz posted:

Ug, I can't stand socially awkward people trying and failing to be funny.
At least google maps understands.

I kind of hope they keep this around, even if it's hidden somewhere. It's a good feature.

• Locked thread