Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend, lovely girl that she is, was stupid, met some dude on WoW, decided to date him via WoW, and then they got married (not on WoW for once) and because he's Canadian, she moved to Canada, SK, to be with him. They've been married about five years now and the marriage built on night elves and orcs is not good. She's working full time, is considered a part-citizen because she is married to a full citizen, but the marriage is over in everything but name. She's working full time, he has a job but calls out sick at least once or twice a week. She makes more money than he does, and his parents, who don't like her, have told her if she does leave, that's considered spousal abandonment and she will be deported.

Anyone got any handy Canadian legalese to tell me if that is bullshit or not? I know in the US, a green card is drat hard to get, and people who marry for those usually fall under harsh suspicion when they get divorced, but it seems odd she can't even have her own place to live (what if her husband beat her instead of just neglected her in every other way?) without losing what she has of citizenship.

I'd want to know what kind of residency she has up here. Is she a permanent resident? If so then she is a resident of Canada and that's that.

She should check with the CIC. other sources I see say to consult a lawyer about your particular situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend, lovely girl that she is, was stupid, met some dude on WoW, decided to date him via WoW, and then they got married (not on WoW for once) and because he's Canadian, she moved to Canada, SK, to be with him. They've been married about five years now and the marriage built on night elves and orcs is not good. She's working full time, is considered a part-citizen because she is married to a full citizen, but the marriage is over in everything but name. She's working full time, he has a job but calls out sick at least once or twice a week. She makes more money than he does, and his parents, who don't like her, have told her if she does leave, that's considered spousal abandonment and she will be deported.

Anyone got any handy Canadian legalese to tell me if that is bullshit or not? I know in the US, a green card is drat hard to get, and people who marry for those usually fall under harsh suspicion when they get divorced, but it seems odd she can't even have her own place to live (what if her husband beat her instead of just neglected her in every other way?) without losing what she has of citizenship.

Google says that if she's lived with the dude for more than 2 years since getting the visa and married, she is probably fine.
She should hire a divorce attorney though and have him consult with an immigration attorney.
If she's lived there fore 3+ years as a permanent resident, she should seriously consider applying for citizenship too if she's in for the long haul. If she's a US citizen she won't have to renounce her USC as far as I know (she should talk to the imm attorney about that too).

nm fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 31, 2015

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Dumb hypothetical...

If you see a bungee cord laying on shoulder of the road, is it considered theft if you pull over and take it?

What if it is something more valuable, like a lawnmower that fell out of the back of a pickup?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

Dumb hypothetical...

If you see a bungee cord laying on shoulder of the road, is it considered theft if you pull over and take it?

What if it is something more valuable, like a lawnmower that fell out of the back of a pickup?

Civil theft, or criminal theft?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If it's valuable enough that someone might miss it, then yeah it's theft.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

SkunkDuster posted:

Dumb hypothetical...

In a strange twist just saw an imgur post about a Ben and Jerrys truck that dropped a lot of its ice cream on the street and the op picked some up. I should probably report him to the authorities.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

patentmagus posted:

Is she looking for forgiveness? In-laws rarely forgive - ever.

What if she dies, though? Do you think they'll forgive her then?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SkunkDuster posted:

Dumb hypothetical...

Larceny of lost property posted:

One who finds lost property under circumstances which gives him knowledge or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who appropriates such property to his own use, or to the use of another person who is not entitled thereto, without having first made such effort to find the owner and restore the property to him as the circumstances render reasonable and just, is guilty of larceny.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 31, 2015

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks joat mon! I kind of figured it was something like that, so that's why I asked about something more valuable. Even if you had no way of knowing who dropped a lawmower out of the back of the truck, a person could reasonably expect that the owner would come back looking for it when they figured out it was missing - I assume that sitting around and waiting would would be the "means of inquiry". How long do you sit there waiting alongside the road waiting to constitute an effort to find the owner?

No, I didn't steal/find any free lawnmowers. I just pass by a few abandoned bungee cords every day on the way to work and got to wondering what the legal perspective of me picking them up would be since I would be taking possession of property which does not belong to me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I'm not a lawyer but I'd bet no one cares if you pick up all the road kill bungee you can find,

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I'd bet no one cares if you pick up all the road kill bungee you can find,

The Law cares.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Tonight, we join the Kearney Sheriff's Department as they stake out a pile of bungee cords on the shoulder of Interstate 80 waiting for opportunistic criminals to take the bait on COPS: Nebraksa

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I wonder if I can repay my loans with bad internet forums posting. Euphronius would be debt free in a week.

poo poo posting is not a crime

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier to just get her character switched to a different realm?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SkunkDuster posted:

Tonight, we join the Kearney Sheriff's Department as they stake out a pile of bungee cords on the shoulder of Interstate 80 waiting for opportunistic criminals to take the bait on COPS: Nebraksa

If you were to use the bungees to tie up the cops, that is what is known as "Entrapment"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Motronic posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier to just get her character switched to a different realm?

You don't understand; she works full time.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

nm posted:

Google says that if she's lived with the dude for more than 2 years since getting the visa and married, she is probably fine.
She should hire a divorce attorney though and have him consult with an immigration attorney.
If she's lived there fore 3+ years as a permanent resident, she should seriously consider applying for citizenship too if she's in for the long haul. If she's a US citizen she won't have to renounce her USC as far as I know (she should talk to the imm attorney about that too).

If they've been married for 5 years, she probably doesn't need to meet the "live with him for 2 years" requirement. That was only put in place in 2012, and doesn't apply to her if she applied for immigration before that--even if she got approved afterwards

Here's a simple breakdown of the possibilities: http://wiki.clicklaw.bc.ca/index.php/My_husband_sponsored_me_and_we_have_now_separated

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You don't understand; she works full time.

she's playing the wrong game, anyway.

Play dragon age. no need to deal with other people.

I mean, yeah, there's multiplayer. but whatever. Cullen is all the man she'll need.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Skunk, can you update us on bungeeghazi?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Uh they tried this in Omaha.

The camera guy was shot to death by our finest. First serious injury in the history of the show.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Skunk, can you update us on bungeeghazi?

I passed by a nice 24" one on the way home but it was missing a hook. I doubled back a couple times to see if I could locate the hook and then decided it wasn't worth the risk.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
My friend, a landlord, is being sued for illegal eviction. This is in rent-controlled Berkeley. Unbeknownst to my friend, a tenant took in a roommate who paid rent (to the tenant) for a couple of years before things went bad between them. The tenant ended up throwing all of the roommates belongings out in the street and changing the locks. Complicating matters is that my friend sold the building prior to the roommate being locked out, so the new owners and as well as the real estate agents are also named in the suit. Interestingly, the tenant is not named.

The roommate has retained an attorney with the San Francisco Tenants Union. This attorney seems to be fairly well-known in SF circles; I've seen his name in various articles and heard him speak on radio stations.

My friend is getting conflicting advice. Some are telling her to hire a local attorney who's familiar with Berkeley rent control and the Alameda County court. Others are recommending an SF attorney who is familiar with the SF Tenants Union and perhaps even the plaintiff's attorney because the case will have little or nothing to do with rent control laws and will be more about negotiating a settlement.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated- thanks.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I'm having a work related issue and I'd like help in determining what rights I have and action I can take in this situation.

edit; I should have known. Thank you

stone soup fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 4, 2015

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Get a lawyer.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
If I own a business in the state of California that hosts its website using a Polish company with servers in Montreal, does this give me any sort of Polish/EU or Canadian tax liability, either for sales or income taxes? It's a mixed retail/wholesale store.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sinestro posted:

If I own a business in the state of California that hosts its website using a Polish company with servers in Montreal, does this give me any sort of Polish/EU or Canadian tax liability, either for sales or income taxes? It's a mixed retail/wholesale store.

The location of a service provider doesn't effect your tax liability in any situation I've ever heard of.

This would be akin to you picking up tax liability in every location google has an office or servers in if you pay them to use google apps for business.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
I am currently being scammed and would like to know if the local Cross Directory can give me the address of a phone number out of state. I live in Delaware and the phone number is from Ohio. I plan to file a claim with the small claims court and need an address from the person scamming me.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
This is so embarrassing, but I have a stupid problem with my driver's license because I am an idiot and I don't know how to fix it.

I used to live in Florida. One day in 2011, I got pulled over for an expired registration and got a ticket. This happened the week before I moved to Georgia, so I totally forgot about it and never paid it.

I moved to Georgia and got my insurance switched over but not my license or registration. Then I got pulled over for having an expired registration on my Florida plates, with my Florida license, in Georgia. I got a summons but I was seriously ill for a good six months and never showed or followed up on it. This was in 2012. In Georgia you don't need to have a valid driver's license to register a car, so my car is currently tagged and registered, but my license is invalid.

I have been able to look up my situation in Florida online. The license is suspended, of course, because of that unpaid 2011 ticket. I have tried to look up the Georgia situation and I can't find any record of the ticket (I have the number) or of my name in the court system. Does anyone have a rough idea of what I'm facing in terms of finances/arrest warrants? Is there a statute of limitations on this? Should I hire a lawyer? Am I ultra screwed? Am I really loving stupid?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You're stupid. Your stupidity is going to cost you several thousands of dollars. You should start calling court clerks see what all is out there. You'll probably need to get it all cleared before you can apply for a Georgia license.

You should not drive again until you have a valid license. Each time you get caught it's going to get worse. Driving with suspended licenses can result in jail time.

A lawyer can solve this faster for you, but if you have the money to pay the fines and hire a lawyer that's a really good idea.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I have an update to my small claims case. We went this morning to the JPs court for our hearing, and the defendant didn't show up. We got a default judgement against her, which I think will be hard to collect on but at least we won.

Not nearly as interesting as being in Judge Judy, but that fell through anyways. The producers couldn't ever get the defendant to answer her phone or call them back about appearing on the show.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The Mandingo posted:

Not nearly as interesting as being in Judge Judy

Lmao

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
So my wife and I renovated our house and we used a company to do custom built-ins and our kitchen cabinets about a year ago. The guy/company took forever to finish the stuff and the end product is a bit rough. Cabinet doors do not line up perfectly (some off as much as half an inch which, when writing sound small but in person looks terrible) seams where wood comes together are quite noticeable and overall the build quality is just bad. Some things are falling apart, door pieces are coming off (like inside the drawers), etc. Anyways, we had him come fix one of the more egregious door issues where the top cabinet door closed and then the cabinet directly below that closed but the two closing points were about an inch apart from each other (so it does not create a straight line going down).

Anyways, we paid him about 90% of his bill and then wrote him an email that we will not be paying the rest of it until the list of our issues are fixed (which is easily two word doc pages long and would take him likely rebuilding a lot of the product and costing him waaaay more than the 10%) or two we do not pay him the balance and go our separate ways and we just pay someone else to rebuild our cabinets in the future.

He has replied that he has never had this issue except with one of my wife's clients (she is an interior designer) and says that he will be filing a lien against us to make us pay the balance.

What should I do going forward and what in general is the potential outcome here? I tried googling poor craftsmanship lawsuits but didn't find anything quite similar enough to compare it to.

e: had our contractor over here as well and he said "don't pay the full balance this work is poo poo"

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 10, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

States that have a Mechanic's/Materialman's Lien statute make it much easier for the contractor to collect than it does for the homeowner not to pay.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
A couple other items, we had a contract that was executed before work started that stated work needs to be up to a certain standard and be on par with other carpenter's work. We had two carpenters came over and they both said the work was sub par. Additionally, we do not own the unit as we are in a co-op structure.

We talked to some lawyer friends (sadly out of state) and they think we should write him back that per the contract we feel we have over paid and if you would like to continue with the lien then we will be filing a lawsuit for breach of contract, etc.

\/ It is about $3,000.

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 10, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

IANAL but I think you should consider whether the 10% you trying to withhold is more than what you might expect to face in litigation costs/lost time/stress from dealing with this poo poo.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I do lots of mechanics lien work from the owner side. If he liens your house you will need a lawyer, and in most jurisdictions he would have a right to that lien. The only way to resolve your grievances with his work will be in a legal proceeding.

Weigh whether that 10% retainage you're holding is worth the legal fees, time, and frustration.

Edit:

dongsweep posted:

We talked to some lawyer friends (sadly out of state) and they think we should write him back that per the contract we feel we have over paid and if you would like to continue with the lien then we will be filing a lawsuit for breach of contract, etc.

\/ It is about $3,000.

You should probably pay the guy and move on. What state are you in? He may be outside the window for filing a lien.

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 10, 2015

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
We are in Illinois. We don't have a house, it is a multi-unit co-op and the property is currently in my father's name as I am renting it from him until the balance is paid in full (we couldn't find an attractive mortgage rate for a coop, almost no one underwrites those loans).

I would assume if he files a lien it would be filed incorrectly, for one it would be in my name not the owner's and two it wouldn't be filed against the coop as I doubt he is aware of the building's structure. I was reading about liens on coops in NY (since they have so many more coops) and it sounds like if the lien is filed incorrectly then it is invalid.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, but you should probably pay the 300; file a small claims suit to recover.

Better off just eating the 300 and reviewing him negatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah, but you should probably pay the 300; file a small claims suit to recover.

Better off just eating the 300 and reviewing him negatively.

Do you mean $3000? Does changing the number to $3000 change your opinion?