Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If being evil makes you a demon, then maybe Frieza is only a frost demon because he is evil and his alien race has a different name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MastG
May 25, 2014
Something else that kind of bugged me was how poorly defined "immortality" was. It was used in place of "invincible" and it was never really elaborated if someone with immortality would just live forever or not.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

jivjov posted:

So Goku's stronger now? That doesn't make GT non-canon.

Nobody cares about GT. It's not even Canon in the first place. Why the gently caress is anyone arguing about it. I rather hear about power levels than hearing about how such and such movies affect GT. GT SUCKS

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 31, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MastG posted:

Something else that kind of bugged me was how poorly defined "immortality" was. It was used in place of "invincible" and it was never really elaborated if someone with immortality would just live forever or not.

According to the Revival of F prequel manga, Freeza can survive being sliced into pieces, so he was basically already immortal.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MastG posted:

Depends on your kind of immortality. Master Roshi is immortal because he consumed the immortality elixir, but not only can he still age, he can be killed, as he showed when he died using the Evil Containment Wave. The Androids essentially cannot ever die by old age due to having unlimited energy, but can be destroyed. Garlic Jr., who obtained immortality from the Dragon Balls, can't be killed, and likely will not die by age either.

It's likely that Dragon Ball immortality is true immortality, nothing can kill you so the only way you can lose is by doing something supremely stupid (like, I dunno, summoning a planet where you can be locked for eternity)

It should be noted that no being seems to be immortal by birth, they all need some kind of supernatural power (or extreme science) to reach immortality. Even Beerus will die sooner or later, as at the end of Battle of Gods Whis tells Goku to take Beerus' place as the God of Destruction after he dies (Goku, being Goku, refuses). The Supreme Kais (who seem to be the Gods of Creation) can be killed and even commit suicide, as the Elder Kai showed. Therefore we're...very unlikely to ever see full immortality in the series, since no one is ever going to get the Dragon Balls and wish for immortality beyond filler and video games.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Even if Xenoverse DLC confirms that GT is another timeline, it also confirms that GT Goku recognizes Beerus and vice versa through battle chatter, meaning BoG still happened there.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

in xenoverse my original character is friends with goku and ate chocolate parfait with ginyu

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

which is to say, it's incredibly canon

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Shindragon posted:

Nobody cares about GT. It's not even Canon in the first place. Why the gently caress is anyone arguing about it. I rather hear about power levels than hearing about how such and such movies affect GT. GT SUCKS

I care about GT. It's not the best, but I still enjoy it, and while I'm not over fussed if it's kicked out of the main continuity, I'm arguing it's case because I still don't see anything in BoG that explicitly contradicts GT (and again, once we start getting more confirmed details about RoF, that may very well change)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Even if Xenoverse DLC confirms that GT is another timeline, it also confirms that GT Goku recognizes Beerus and vice versa through battle chatter, meaning BoG still happened there.

So GT is a world where Beerus got his pudding after all

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The battle of Gods saga in story mode is an alternate world where Beerus does get the pudding, but is foiled by Demigra. That means the way history was supposed to go, this is the GT timeline

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Raserys posted:

The battle of Gods saga in story mode is an alternate world where Beerus does get the pudding, but is foiled by Demigra. That means the way history was supposed to go, this is the GT timeline

Not even Demigra wanted to mess with Lord Beerus when angry. He decided to hop over to the next timeline and ambush him on the sly instead.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Toriyama can't even keep track of his own canon, how do you expect him to keep track of someone else's?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Dragon Ball is the only thing with more levels of canon than Star Wars and the Catholic Church combined.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Whis actually transports Goku into a parallel timeline, a la Trunks. In the original timeline, Freeza rules the universe forever because that's how time travel works in DBZ. :v:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

In It For The Tank posted:

Whis actually transports Goku into a parallel timeline, a la Trunks. In the original timeline, Freeza rules the universe forever because that's how time travel works in DBZ. :v:

so basically Whis is some sort of pan-dimensional hyper being like I thought he was

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Except that Whis and Goku didnt die in that timeline either, and Beerus would likely wake up find out his favorite food spot got trashed, and then go and gently caress up Freezer super hard just like he originally wanted before all that Super Saiyan God Bullshit sidetracked him. And thats assuming Goku just didnt "train harder!" and then go and wreck Freiza somewhere else.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

That's how time machine time travel works. Whis can just reverse time by 3 minutes.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The plot to the new movie actually kind of sounds like poo poo. Oh, Freeza blows up the planet when it looks like he's going to lose...again!. Was really hoping for something original with the story here, and this is from someone who defends Goku winning all the time

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

facebook jihad posted:

The plot to the new movie actually kind of sounds like poo poo. Oh, Freeza blows up the planet when it looks like he's going to lose...again!. Was really hoping for something original with the story here, and this is from someone who defends Goku winning all the time

Not to be that guy, but you're asking for originality in the anniversary movie about a beloved, dead villain returning after 20 years. Not that I didn't want originality too, but I come to accept that as a pipe dream.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Onmi posted:

That's how time machine time travel works. Whis can just reverse time by 3 minutes.

Whis owns, it's about time we got some kind of god being that is obviously better than Goku.

I mean, Beerus is too, but his strength is surmountable. Whis just has all the plot powers.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Whis owns, it's about time we got some kind of god being that is obviously better than Goku.

I mean, Beerus is too, but his strength is surmountable. Whis just has all the plot powers.

He'll be old hat in 3 years, tops

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheKingofSprings posted:

He'll be old hat in 3 years, tops

You're probably right, but I will be sad. Whis is a really goofy and fun guy, I like him a lot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Someone really needs to think about collecting the Dragonballs again and making a few utility wishes.

Like, y'know, being able to breathe in space. Then you get the perfect arena for fighting without destroying anything.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Beerus is Toriyama. Whis is his editor.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

That's just what he wants you to think.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Someone really needs to think about collecting the Dragonballs again and making a few utility wishes.

Like, y'know, being able to breathe in space. Then you get the perfect arena for fighting without destroying anything.

"Eternal Dragon, make it so no one of evil hearts can find the Earth!"

"Eternal Dragon, make it so we can breathe in space."

"Eternal Dragon, make it so that only those of good hearts can learn to use ki."

I'd say 1/3 of those wishes are being granted.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I wonder if Supreme Kai of Time got the same power as Whis.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

facebook jihad posted:

At this point I think it's lame mostly because

At this point, with Vegeta being Super Saiyan God+ or whatever, I have a hard time envisioning the planet exploding actually hurting him.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

At this point I think it's lame mostly because

At this point, with Vegeta being Super Saiyan God+ or whatever, I have a hard time envisioning the planet exploding actually hurting him.

Also, post-SSG Goku had no issue surviving in space in BoG for at least a couple of minutes, so it's not like he would immediately suffocate or his organs would explode either.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, post-SSG Goku had no issue surviving in space in BoG for at least a couple of minutes, so it's not like he would immediately suffocate or his organs would explode either.

Goku vs Beerus was always said to be the upper, upper atmosphere.

Also, GT chat, the bullshit about GT was that the series was envisioned to weaken Goku and have fun Dragonball adventures, but when they changed their minds, they were like, THIS DUDE IS STRONGER THAN BUU AND GOKU CAN BEAT HIM WHILE NORMAL AND A KID and it went to stupidity after that.
'
This movie sounds awesome as long as it's silly like BoG and not ultra serious like most Toei movies. Like, if they don't take fighting Freeza seriously and play it as a joke, then it's entertaining. OF COURSE nobody at preview screenings understands this and does not report it accurately.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I think you'd be surprised at just how far out you can go from the planet before oxygen ceases to be a thing. There's more Oł up there, sure, making breathable oxygen more rare, but you could survive, if you could also somehow breathe under water for several minutes at a time while doing strainful sparring.

You know, like they do all the time in Dragonball.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darko posted:

Like, if they don't take fighting Freeza seriously and play it as a joke, then it's entertaining.

This actually sounds awful and you may just be too old for Dragon Ball

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 31, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

I think you'd be surprised at just how far out you can go from the planet before oxygen ceases to be a thing. There's more Oł up there, sure, making breathable oxygen more rare, but you could survive, if you could also somehow breathe under water for several minutes at a time while doing strainful sparring.

You know, like they do all the time in Dragonball.

Really its the radiation that is going to gently caress you up long term, but Goku gets a wicked bad sunburn doesn't make for good TV.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Caros posted:

Really its the radiation that is going to gently caress you up long term, but Goku gets a wicked bad sunburn doesn't make for good TV.

Actually that sounds like a great filler episode. Piccolo ends up pink because Namekians are weird like that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Caros posted:

Oh god that DOES explain GT!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Darko posted:

Goku vs Beerus was always said to be the upper, upper atmosphere.

Is there a quote you could point to? I haven't seen the film in a while.

I know the fandom like to make allowances for this kind of thing (see: Bardock clearly being in space but everyone hand waving it as being the uppermost orbit), but at a certain point you kind of have to admit they're in space or so close to it that the difference is negligible. I mean, there might be some oxygen but they're panting all the time and talking so science goes out the window. My larger point is that , SSG+ Vegeta should have survived the destruction of the planet and then leisurely murdered Freeza since he could last a couple of minutes without breathing even in the vaccuum of space.

The ending sounds so contrived. Not in the normally tolerable/understandable way where no one ever considers using Solar Flare + Kienzan but more because it sounds like they wrote a story like they were going end it a certain way and then changed their minds and pulled a "rocks fell everybody dies" so Goku could be the hero. There's nothing wrong with Goku being the hero (well, on paper), but there needs to be a narrative build up to it. It's like in Movie 13 where it looks like Trunks and Tapion are gonna defeat the villain and then suddenly they don't and now Goku's the last one standing and he's pulling the Dragon Fist out of his rear end. In RoF, Vegeta has all but won and then instead of just ending it right then and there, they tack on a twist only to immediately resolve it with time travel.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

They could just wish to the Dragonballs to cure any longterm sideeffects of their constantly punching each other.

... They could use the Dragonballs for so many things

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

They could just wish to the Dragonballs to cure any longterm sideeffects of their constantly punching each other.

... They could use the Dragonballs for so many things

They could use the Dragonballs and wish for another set of Dragonballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Darko posted:

Also, GT chat, the bullshit about GT was that the series was envisioned to weaken Goku and have fun Dragonball adventures, but when they changed their minds, they were like, THIS DUDE IS STRONGER THAN BUU AND GOKU CAN BEAT HIM WHILE NORMAL AND A KID and it went to stupidity after that.

Also there was stuff like 'I can't use Instant Transmission properly, because I didn't know it as a child' - *turns into SSJ3*.

• Locked thread