Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

That had little to do with him wearing a helmet and everything to do with the fact that the Stallone movie hosed the chances of Dredd doing well. I did not speak to a single person about that movie in real life who didn't bring up the lovely Stallone film. It just didn't have the marketing budget to overcome the damage that had been done to the brand. I mean, I didn't know anyone who thought it was a sequel or related to the first film, they just assumed Judge Dredd was naturally dumb because of the Stallone film. :smith: Of course, anyone I know who saw it liked it. It faced an uphill battle.

The Stallone film came out about 20 years ago and I don't think factored one way or another into how well the most recent version did. Sometimes good movies just don't do well at the box office.

Edit:

Gaz-L posted:

Dredd bombed. :smith:
The mask thing though is probably also not the reason it failed, V for Vendetta did gangbuster.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pfft, next thing you'll be telling me Elektra and Catwoman didn't bomb because they had female leads! :rolleyes:

(I know Dredd failed for other reasons, but what ACTUALLY happens and what studios choose to SEE as happening are different things.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The theatrical release date isn't very relevant when the film didn't exactly drop off of the face of the Earth after it came out. People were screaming "I am the law!" for many, many years after that movie came out. It stuck with people well enough, and many 20 somethings still clearly remember it. Obviously older people are going to remember it too. It's not like the new Dredd was marketed to teens and tweens.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress, if it wasn't 3am, and I didn't have to be at work tomorrow, I'd totally fire up that movie.

"Mama's not the law. I am the law!" :hellyeah:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

The theatrical release date isn't very relevant when the film didn't exactly drop off of the face of the Earth after it came out. People were screaming "I am the law!" for many, many years after that movie came out. It stuck with people well enough, and many 20 somethings still clearly remember it. Obviously older people are going to remember it too. It's not like the new Dredd was marketed to teens and tweens.

I think you seriously overestimate the number of people who even remember there ever was a movie called Judge Dredd starring Sylvester Stallone.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I think you seriously overestimate the number of people who even remember there ever was a movie called Judge Dredd starring Sylvester Stallone.

Well I think you underestimate it. It wasn't exactly a movie that no one saw.

I am not saying it was the sole cause of failure, but it was non-negligible. Probably significant. Ultimately the marketing failed Dredd, but the marketing already had a negative perception of the brand to overcome, which certainly did not help.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Well I think you underestimate it. It wasn't exactly a movie that no one saw.

Agreed. Although even people who didn't see the movie still knew enough about it. I was 12 when it came out and I never saw it but have scenes burned in my memory; the marketing at the time was pretty prolific. I mean, Stalone in a goofy rear end helmet is the most mainstream awareness the brand ever got. And if anyone over the age of like 25 who grew up seeing it in the dollar bin at Walmart or on HBO along with Demolition Man didn't remember it, hearing about the new movie would be enough to jog their memory. Or doing a google search of the character and seeing Stalone's goofy mug. All of my friends kept quoting "I AM THE LAAAWWW" right around the time of Dredd 2012's release.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Stallone's Dredd was a train wreck that lodged itself into the collective consciousness. People who have never seen the movie know it as a horrible pile of crap, it's the superhero Ishtar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyph_DZa_GQ

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I am the law.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ToastyPotato posted:

What did Green Lantern prove? His mask barely covered his face, and there was no other Green Lantern show or anything for people to confuse it with? Unless you mean people being confused by a white GL because they thought John Stewart from the cartoon was the only human GL. But that isn't really the kind of confusion we are talking about here, because that is a bit more legitimate, since it is two different characters who share the same superhero name, as opposed to two versions of the same person. And I feel like the only people who were confused were people who watched the cartoon and never read a single GL comic, played any game with him in it, or even watched the Superman cartoon that had Hal in it.

The Ryan Reynolds movie did kill the new Green lantern cartoon, which was actuality pretty good, as stores wouldn't order merchandise since they were burned so badly on the movie. Though that has little to do with audience confusing characters and more with a licenses having a bad reputation.

And with Dredd, it's really no wonder that people used the Stallone movie as a frame of reference, since it had very little marketing to dispel that notion.

What I genuinely don't understand is that, even if you would assume that audience get really easily confused by a character having two different unrelated media presences, why is that an issue? One is going to be a multi million blockbuster that millions of people around the globe will see, the other is a minor CW show. The movie eclipses the show by such a magnitude that I don't see what the damage is supposed to be here.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

e X posted:

The Ryan Reynolds movie did kill the new Green lantern cartoon, which was actuality pretty good, as stores wouldn't order merchandise since they were burned so badly on the movie. Though that has little to do with audience confusing characters and more with a licenses having a bad reputation.

And with Dredd, it's really no wonder that people used the Stallone movie as a frame of reference, since it had very little marketing to dispel that notion.

What I genuinely don't understand is that, even if you would assume that audience get really easily confused by a character having two different unrelated media presences, why is that an issue? One is going to be a multi million blockbuster that millions of people around the globe will see, the other is a minor CW show. The movie eclipses the show by such a magnitude that I don't see what the damage is supposed to be here.

I agree 100%. I really don't think audience confusion is a real issue in this kind of situation. The only way it becomes a problem is if the execs are flat out expecting one or the other to be a huge failure and ruin the other one.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ToastyPotato posted:

I agree 100%. I really don't think audience confusion is a real issue in this kind of situation. The only way it becomes a problem is if the execs are flat out expecting one or the other to be a huge failure and ruin the other one.

This going to be a bigger Will Smith bomb than focus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

e X posted:

Not sure how many people would buy those lovely character models as toys anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Aphrodite posted:

Not sure how many people would buy those lovely character models as toys anyway.

Hey, those models would look great as toys. Except for Hal's since he's the worst one, but that's true for anything.

Where does Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt fall in the MCU timeline? It's obviously based on Silk and it came out just before Daredevil, but nothing on the Battle of New York has been mentioned yet, unless the city hiding that whole deal is a subplot to mirror her trying to move past the whole bunker business with Ezekiel? Hope she gets her Silk suit soon.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 29, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hey, those models would look great as toys. Except for Hal's since he's the worst one, but that's true for anything.

Where does Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt fall in the MCU timeline? It's obviously based on Silk and it came out just before Daredevil, but nothing on the Battle of New York has been mentioned yet, unless the city hiding that whole deal is a subplot to mirror her trying to move past the whole bunker business with Ezekiel? Hope she gets her Silk suit soon.

You mean Richard Wayne Gary Wayne right? (He's the real Mandarin)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jscolon2.0 posted:

This going to be a bigger Will Smith bomb than focus.

Focus had a 50M budget and has made 120M worldwide.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Focus had a 50M budget and has made 120M worldwide.

And still bombed, because how much money you have to make to not bomb scales with the leads, the genre, the season, the phase of the moon and studio executive whim.

Welcome to Hollywood where the math only counts when we say it does.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

quote:

Dredd chat

Welp, guess I'm whipping out my Anthrax vinyl this morning, 'cause now this is stuck on endless loop in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ta5ahB-6w

As for Powers... I'll echo the poster who mentioned Eddie Izzard being a delight, he really sells the show. That said, it's no Flash, and if you tried to make a drinking game of even taking a sip of beer every time someone says "gently caress", you'll be dead of alcohol poisoning before the opening credits. The writing often feels like I'm watching a bunch of teens high-fiving while saying "duuuude, since we're not airing on tv, we can drop as many f-bombs as we want!" "Yeah, bro!"

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 29, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Welp, guess I'm whipping out my Anthrax vinyl this morning, 'cause now this is stuck on endless loop in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ta5ahB-6w

As for Powers... I'll echo the poster who mentioned Eddie Izzard being a delight, he really sells the show. That said, it's no Flash, and if you tried to make a drinking game of even taking a sip of beer every time someone says "gently caress", you'll be dead of alcohol poisoning before the opening credits. The writing often feels like I'm watching a bunch of teens high-fiving while saying "duuuude, since we're not airing on tv, we can drop as many f-bombs as we want!" "Yeah, bro!"

I'm pretty sure that's just being faithful to the original work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SirDan3k posted:

And still bombed, because how much money you have to make to not bomb scales with the leads, the genre, the season, the phase of the moon and studio executive whim.

Welcome to Hollywood where the math only counts when we say it does.

It's (a little) below expectations, it's not a bomb. It's pretty different from the kind of busines After Earth did.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Supergirl has wrapped Pilot filming

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Upfronts are when, again? May?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally finished Arrow season 2, which I rather enjoy minus the last half being Dark Knight Rises lite, but I hope next season Thea doesn't return, as it got very tiring when her character "Grrr you lied to me, I hate you and leaving town with my mass murdering dad!".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
S3 spoiler:She's still a regular, but they do address your concern.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Gaz-L posted:

Dredd bombed. :smith:

Dredd actually had really good DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen anyone mention it, but in Old TV news, if you have Turner Classic Movies on your cable package, they've been running the Batman serials from 1943 every Saturday at 10 AM. They're not particularly good, but hey, it's comic history. There is some really silly stuff like Batman taking a gangster to the Batcave, but it's not the Batcave as we know it today, it's just a cave full of bats and he just threatens to leave him there with the bats.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Rirse posted:

"Grrr you lied to me, I hate you and leaving town with my mass murdering dad!".

Don't worry about this at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Dredd actually had really good DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

Not good enough according to one of the producers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Hawkgirl has been cast in the Arrow/Flash spinoff show

http://deadline.com/2015/03/arrow-flash-spinoff-hawkgirl-ciara-renee-cw-1201401280/

Dacap fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 30, 2015

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

I really hope this isn't true. I want this show to be good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Seriously, what is this show? It all sounds like the set up for a complicated joke. "So a billionaire, a criminal, and two scientists in one body walk into a bar. Also there's an undead ninja and apparently a birdgirl there now."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Seriously, what is this show? It all sounds like the set up for a complicated joke. "So a billionaire, a criminal, and two scientists in one body walk into a bar. Also there's an undead ninja and apparently a birdgirl there now."

The best part is that Cold is going to be utterly unfazed.

"Huh, so the Hispanic girl has wings sometimes. Neat."

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

TwoPair posted:

It's really the b-lister justice league at this point. I'm betting the show will be called The Brave and the Bold.

Rip Hunter has been added to the cast now too

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cws-flash-arrow-spinoff-casts-785372

Dacap fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 31, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

It's really the b-lister justice league at this point. I'm betting the show will be called The Brave and the Bold.

Rip Hunter has been added to the cast now too

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cws-flash-arrow-spinoff-casts-785372

Fffffffffuuccccckkkkkk!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like Rip a lot more than Booster so I'm fine with this.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I like Rip a lot more than Booster so I'm fine with this.

See, in the future, possibly the 25th century, this will be a museum as the perfect example of a bad opinion. A just atrocious one.

Goddamn just give me my Ted Kord DC. No, Ray "I''m Ted without the name" Palmer doesn't loving count. He's not a red-head and he isn't slightly chunky dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
DC has no idea what the gently caress they are doing movie wise or otherwise, they were basically blessed to have Nolan , they just won the lottery and we're now watching it as it as if it's that old Television series that had lottery winners on it and you watch them destroy their lives.

They should put the guys who produce Arrow in charge of Movies producing because the people they got have their heads up their asses.

That said I will just sit there and watch Batman Vs. Superman all day till I pass out in the theater from exhaustion.