Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ephesians 4:32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

*massive bong rip* Amen! *Face turns red from coughing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You gotta admit, weed smokers are pretty Christian in that regard.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mike Pence takes Rand Paul's side in the debate over the Civil Rights Act.

quote:

I abhor discrimination. I believe in the Golden Rule that you should “do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” If I saw a restaurant owner refuse to serve a gay couple, I wouldn’t eat there anymore.

We just need to let ~*~ the market decide ~*~.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

You can't play both sides and expect to win Pence. You are now digging a hole in both directions, leaving you in some strange gravity limbo.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ralepozozaxe posted:

You can't play both sides and expect to win Pence. You are now digging a hole in both directions, leaving you in some strange gravity limbo.

We call that the Rand Paul effect. Where you fall up then down then up then down constantly reversing momentum.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Joementum posted:

Mike Pence takes Rand Paul's side in the debate over the Civil Rights Act..
When confronted with something he dislikes at a restaurant, Rand Paul usually chokes on his burger and then gets the gently caress out of dodge.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Joementum posted:

I hope that means he supports the counter-proposal that would mandate any business intending to discriminate must post a big "NO HOMOS" sign in the window.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

DemeaninDemon posted:

We call that the Rand Paul effect. Where you fall up then down then up then down constantly reversing momentum.

randpaulmeetsadreamer.gif

I can't find it so if someone can post it, I'd appreciate it

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

haveblue posted:

I hope that means he supports the counter-proposal that would mandate any business intending to discriminate must post a big "NO HOMOS" sign in the window.

But then MEAN GAYS will do terrible horrible things to all the good poor Christians who have been forced to post these signs by the government. It wouldn't be fair to expose Christians to that kind of potential discrimination.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

Thinking about it, the DREAM act and DREAMERs are the one bit of successful messaging the Dems have pulled off.. in my political memory. Anyone have other examples?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

What has this son of a bitch said about chik fil-a?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FilthyImp posted:

When confronted with something he dislikes at a restaurant, Rand Paul usually chokes on his burger and then gets the gently caress out of dodge.

:allears: Thank you for reminding me to go watch that video again. It always calms me down after a bad day.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Oracle posted:

That website is like almost all hearsay and 'oral tradition' with most of those towns on the list listed as 'possible' or 'someone at community college told me once that'.

I'm not really sure what you want. The levels of certainty are updated as users send in more proof in the form of scans of microfiche news articles, town records, etc. The site itself is telling you whether or not there is any proof to the claim. Not all states decided to get their "no blacks allowed" policies notarized in triplicate because that kind of strictly enforced segregation was endemic and states with sundown policies at the state level did not require a duplicate ordinance on the local level. So in those cases there is not much to go on besides census figures, local newspaper reports, and oral histories.

You should probably read his book or look up one of his lectures about it on YouTube. I feel like if you had more context for the period in which these kinds of things were happening you would understand why the site is the way it is.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

He can do this and wait it out and never have any problems. Hell, he could run for Coats seat and the only problem he may face is the GOP primary saying he didn't defend this enough. The mistake you are making is that you are really over estimating the Indiana Dems. I went to the rally this weekend and it was a complete farce. They were handed an opportunity to make their case on a silver platter, and it came off like The Alliance of Magicians demanding to be taken seriously. Pence faces no pushback except from inside the state Republican Party.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Indy Star makes one hell of a statement:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

^^^ drat youuuuuuu :argh:

Tomorrow's front page of the Indianapolis Star

Also the Republican Indianapolis Mayor and City Council didn't mince words tonight, I guess I can be proud of my city while embarassed by my state :unsmith:

quote:

Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard and the City-County Council on Monday called on the Indiana General Assembly to either repeal the divisive Religious Freedom Restoration Act or add explicit protections for sexual orientation and gender identity in state law.

Ballard also issued an executive order that anyone who receives money from the city government must abide by its human rights ordinance, which has had such protections in place for a decade.

His comments at a Monday afternoon news conference were the strongest yet from the Republican leader of the state's capital and largest city in the wake of the bill, which was signed by Gov. Mike Pence last week.

Flanked by business leaders, Ballard denounced the law not only as a threat to the city's economic interests, but as a serious concern for residents and visitors who fear that they could be subjected to discrimination for religious reasons.

"Our city thrives because we have welcomed and embraced diversity. And RFRA threatens what thousands of people have spent decades building," Ballard said.

"Discrimination is wrong. And I hope that message is being heard loud and clear at our Statehouse."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Either Rand or Ted will run to get such a law at the national level, it is guaranteed to be in one of their planks. It's so toxic, they'll love it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Either Rand or Ted will run to get such a law at the national level, it is guaranteed to be in one of their planks. It's so toxic, they'll love it.

There is a federal RFRA. This one just has several caveats to make it easier to invoke and override any non-discrimination bills

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Pence faces no pushback except from inside the state Republican Party.

Well the state GOP is kind of a big deal, and one of the interesting things about Indiana is that the capital is also the largest city. This has an interesting impact on state politics. Pence can attempt to be a regressive shitheel to try to please his base outside of Marion county, but he has to deal with getting an earful whenever he goes out to all those places the Very Important Indiana Rich People (VIIRP) hang out.

Business people in Indiana know the state GOP is the only game in town in terms of political favors so a lot of them are opportunistic Republicans that are either socially liberal or apathetic to social issues. A lot of them also live in Marion county. His phone's probably ringing off the hook with people like that chewing him out for embarrassing the state.

It's not an accident that Mitch Daniels was a very boring milquetoast pro-business Republican who never really paid more than lip service to the culture warriors. He was part of the old school who understood what the game was, and it seems like Mike Pence has either drunk the Flavor Aid or mistakenly thought this stupid bill would be a good way to start building national name recognition for a Presidential run in 2020 or 2024 or something.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 31, 2015

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Turnquiet posted:

I think more recently you may be thinking of One Nation Under God by Kevin Kruse. Pretty good Fresh Air interview here.

Thanks yall.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ErIog posted:

Well the state GOP is kind of a big deal, and one of the interesting things about Indiana is that the capital is also the largest city. This has an interesting impact on state politics. Pence can attempt to be a regressive shitheel to try to please his base outside of Marion county, but he has to deal with getting an earful whenever he goes out to all those places the Very Important Indiana Rich People (VIIRP) hang out.

Business people in Indiana know the state GOP is the only game in town in terms of political favors so a lot of them are opportunistic Republicans that are either socially liberal or apathetic to social issues. A lot of them also live in Marion county. His phone's probably ringing off the hook with people like that chewing him out for embarrassing the state.

It's not an accident that Mitch Daniels was a very boring milquetoast pro-business Republican who never really paid more than lip service to the culture warriors. He was part of the old school who understood what the game was, and it seems like Mike Pence has either drunk the Flavor-Ade or mistakenly thought this stupid bill would be a good way to start building national name recognition for a Presidential run in 2020 or 2024 or something.

Well remember Pence was a Limbaugh knockoff before he got himself elected.

Also, since you mention Mitch, fun fact - the presidents of IU, Butler, and Ball State have all issued statements condemning the RFRA. Purdue has not. hrm

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
e:actually yeah this was pretty unfair of me

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 31, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The one dude I knew at Purdue is a shithead engineer from a rich Vietnamese American family who bitches about how blacks and Latinos are trying to hold the Asian man down through affirmative action and "DIVERSITY". I'm not surprised it's Purdue that stands out here.
One random student does not a university make.

Seriously, Mitch Daniels is an rear end in a top hat but I'm sure that most Purdue students are your bog-standard American students.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Purdue has not. hrm

Yeah, unless poo poo goes real nuts(like this thing explodes even further and Pence resigns kind of nuts) then I don't expect Purdue to release any statement on it. There's nothing for Daniels to gain by wading into the cesspit this thing has become.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The one dude I knew at Purdue is a shithead engineer from a rich Vietnamese American family who bitches about how blacks and Latinos are trying to hold the Asian man down through affirmative action and "DIVERSITY". I'm not surprised it's Purdue that stands out here.

It has nothing to do with the students. Daniels, the former governor, is the president of Purdue.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ErIog posted:

and it seems like Mike Pence has either drunk the Flavor-Ade
It's completely nitpicky but I just want to commend you for actually getting the brand of the loving drink right. If I was Kool-Aid I'd be suing someone, anyone, for defamation over a lot of this poo poo. :spergin:

Also let me just say that not all Purdue grads are assholes. Okay cool thanks.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The closest Michigan has to that is Livingston County/Howell. Very white county and the people who live there want it to stay that way.
Don't forget Brighton, where they're trying to make being young crime as well!

I work in Howell, but spend precisely zero time there when I'm off the clock so I can't say anything about it but I've had several friends move from Brighton to anywhere but Brighton.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Rokstar posted:

It's completely nitpicky but I just want to commend you for actually getting the brand of the loving drink right.

He didn't though, it's Flavor Aid, not Ade and no dash.

So close and yet so far.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nintendo Kid posted:

So close and yet so far.

Fishmech'd again.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

So close and yet so far.

Thank you for setting me straight. It was an egregious error that reflects poorly on myself, my family, and ultimately all people with giant red custom titles. I'll pack my things. I have my own box. I'll be out before 3pm. Thank you, and see you in another life, brother.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Oh poo poo fishmech noticed someone was technically wrong about an insignificant point. See y'all in 5 pages.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Good Citizen posted:

Oh poo poo fishmech noticed someone was technically wrong about an insignificant point. See y'all in 5 pages.

But for him, it was Tuesday.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ErIog posted:

Mike Pence has either drunk the Flavor Aid or mistakenly thought this stupid bill would be a good way to start building national name recognition for a Presidential run in 2020 or 2024 or something.

Because we all know what a strong foundation bashing gays provides for a presidential campaign:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zwabu posted:

Because we all know what a strong foundation bashing gays provides for a presidential campaign:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA

we also know ecstasy and maple syrup can crater a campaign.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ralepozozaxe posted:

As a wise man once said, the first rule of holes is when you’re in one, stop digging. When you’re in three, bring a lot of shovels.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Eltoasto posted:

^^^ drat youuuuuuu :argh:

Tomorrow's front page of the Indianapolis Star

Also the Republican Indianapolis Mayor and City Council didn't mince words tonight, I guess I can be proud of my city while embarassed by my state :unsmith:

Will Pence take it? Does he save face by having already in-pipeline proposed "clarifications" include protected status for LGBT?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still don't understand what the governor thought was the endgame when he signed that law. How did he expect him, his party, or his state to come out of it better than before?

edit: I mean, like the editorial says, it can be fixed and then everything will be hunky-dory, but Indiana will have still taken a PR hit.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 31, 2015

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The prestor john thread about authoritarians talks about this. His theory is that these people want a fight, they dont think about the end game, cause they ether assume they will win, do to god being on their side or they will be a martyr to the cause.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still don't understand what the governor thought was the endgame when he signed that law. How did he expect him, his party, or his state to come out of it better than before?

edit: I mean, like the editorial says, it can be fixed and then everything will be hunky-dory, but Indiana will have still taken a PR hit.

The type of people who want to be able to legally discriminate are the type of people who have never dealt with any discrimination or real pushback to any of their thoughts or actions their entire lives. It's how you end up with upper middle class white suburban Christians screaming that Christians are about to be put into labor camps because the city won't allow a nativity scene on the steps of City Hall. They're used to all their dumb idiot ideas being congruous with the status quo.

They were probably expecting a dozen college students protesting and not pushback from the entire country.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...law-was-passed/
:getin:

• Locked thread