Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

echronorian posted:

More gold from the Cruz crew

The rampant blatant homophobia of these people is, frankly, astounding

because they probably use that Conservative Web Browser thing that hooks CNSNews to pretty much the entire blog/facebook/twitter/internet-comment-system so conservatives can pour their diarrhea everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Fulchrum posted:

Why would Batman give a poo poo about diplomatic immunity? He's not affiliated with any government, and has already racked up thousands of assault, trespassing, illegal wiretapping charges, and has a space based weapon which is all kinds of unconsionable by the UN. What's ignoring international protocol to him?

This was when he was much more goodey two shoes, Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One had just wrapped up and those were the books that prompted the much darker vigilante take on him. This was really the start of that shift to the darker version we know today, since it also saw the death of Robin.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

The president specifically asked Superman to keep an eye on Batman to make sure he didn't try anything without the Joker firing first (which he eventually did, in trying to kill the UN assembly).

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

site posted:

Where did you hear that? This is the first time I've heard that story.

I'm evidently misremembering it

http://www.snopes.com/politics/cruz/libertyfine.asp

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Nonsense posted:

because they probably use that Conservative Web Browser thing that hooks CNSNews to pretty much the entire blog/facebook/twitter/internet-comment-system so conservatives can pour their diarrhea everywhere.

Where can I learn more about this system?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
Young Orc

That's really funny.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh wow, didn't realize Liberty U was part of Jerry Falwell's megachurch. lol

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember reading an ad for Liberty University in a Southwest magazine from a few years back with a quote from Jerry Falwell going "People thought my conservative, Christian school couldn't succeed, but it did :smug:"

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Even the students refer to it (or at least the one I knew did) as : "Liberty University - where you have none."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arkane posted:

Probably going to be at the Marco Rubio announcement. I might even be on tee vee.

one enthusiastic if inexplicable Huntsman supporter

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Shageletic posted:

He does have the healthy pallor of a corpse in a open casket funeral.

Oh my god.

So that's where I recognised that look from. I was at my grandfather's funeral/visitation back in December and Cruz's resemblance to an embalmed body is horrifying.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Oh my god.

So that's where I recognised that look from. I was at my grandfather's funeral/visitation back in December and Cruz's resemblance to an embalmed body is horrifying.

In the middle of a debate the skin slips off revealing the rotting animated corpse of Reagan underneath. He then goes on to win the nomination and the general.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kiryen posted:

Even the students refer to it (or at least the one I knew did) as : "Liberty University - where you have none."

those of us in the area generally refer to it as "that loving eyesore on the mountain"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

My friend's mom just announced she's running for president:

http://www.vote4lynn2016.com/intro?splash=1

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ill vote 4 lynn, fix government and build peace

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

My friend's mom just announced she's running for president:

http://www.vote4lynn2016.com/intro?splash=1

I like that her plan to cut bureaucratic overspending (which she claims is 30% of the federal budget) is to create a massive federal bureaucracy.

quote:

The Solution:

Create a White House Office that charters teams in every federal department and agency to cut red tape, simplify procedures, reduce inefficiencies and translate mountains of bureaucratic jargon into plain language.

Charter cross-government teams to eliminate duplication of programs and identify ways to improve employee training, management selections, technology acquisition, agency budgeting and government spending.

Ooh, and in another section she says she'll make each department craft a mission statement!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PupsOfWar posted:

ill vote 4 lynn, fix government and build peace

Only Vote 4 Cuban Lynnx

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

plan to build peace: make everybody be frens

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Do you guys think she's got a shot?

Hopefully she wins and I can cash in on some of that sweet, sweet nepotism.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Which cabinet position do you want, sport?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Down Lowbama is a loving classic. Facebook loving sucks.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Which cabinet position do you want, sport?

I'm not picky. Maybe Health & Human Services. I'd also be down for Drug Czar.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Do you guys think she's got a shot?

Well, she'll have to collect 39,564 signatures by August 5, 2016 to get on the ballot in just her home state, so I'd suggest getting started on that.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I'm not picky. Maybe Health & Human Services. I'd also be down for Drug Czar.

You fool! Defense is where the sweet bank is.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Literally ANYONE but Ted Cruz would be a viable Republican Presidential candidate

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Here we go!

quote:

GOP Presidential Hopefuls Rise To Defend Indiana Law That Many See As Anti-Gay

WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential hopefuls are lining up in defense of Indiana’s controversial “religious freedom” law, which critics warn will open the door to legal discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals by businesses in the state.

“I think Gov. [Mike] Pence has done the right thing,” former Florida governor and likely 2016 contender Jeb Bush said in a Monday interview. “I think once the facts are established, people aren’t going to see this as discriminatory at all.”

As a reason why such laws are necessary, Bush pointed to the case of a Washington state florist who was fined for refusing to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding.

“There are many cases where people acting on their conscience have been cascaded by the government,” Bush told radio host Hugh Hewitt. “This law simply says the government has to have a level of burden to be able to establish there has been some kind of discrimination. We’re going to need this. This is really an important value in our country, where you can respect and be tolerant of people’s lifestyles but allow for people of faith to exercise theirs.”

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who is expected to announce his bid for the White House next month, dodged a question Monday as to whether gay Americans should be legally protected against discrimination. But appearing on Fox News’ “The Five," he argued that religious freedom laws do make some sense.

“Obviously, it's raised a lot of debate in America about how far these laws go and what implications they would have, and it's a difficult debate to have for a lot of people,” Rubio said. “But I think the flip side of all of this debate is what about the religious liberties of Americans who do not want to feel compelled by law to provide a catering service or photography service to a same-sex marriage that their faith teaches is wrong?”

He added, “No one here is saying it should be legal to deny someone services at a hotel or at a restaurant because of their sexual orientation. I think that is a consensus view in America.”

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who has actually declared his candidacy for president, endorsed Pence's efforts in a statement Monday night.

"Governor Pence is holding the line to protect religious liberty in the Hoosier State. Indiana is giving voice to millions of courageous conservatives across this country who are deeply concerned about the ongoing attacks upon our personal liberties. I’m proud to stand with Mike, and I urge Americans to do the same," Cruz said.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R), another likely presidential contender, said in a statement that he supports Indiana’s new law because he supports “religious liberty as granted to us in our Constitution.” He joined his fellow White House hopefuls in rejecting the notion that the law is discriminatory.

Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson, a darling of the conservative movement and star of this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference, told Breitbart News that it was “absolutely vital that we do all we can to allow Americans to practice their religious ways.”

Asked about the prospect of a religious freedom law in Wisconsin, Gov. Scott Walker (R), an early frontrunner for the GOP presidential nomination, sounded noncommittal.

"Well again, in our state, there's a balance between wanting to make sure there is not discrimination, but at the same time respecting religious freedoms,” Walker said, according to WisPolitics. “We do that different ways than what they’ve done in the state of Indiana, and certainly that’s going to be part of the debate here and across the country.”

But the governor's spokeswoman told Breitbart that Walker broadly supports religious freedom as “a matter of principle.”

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Rubio dodged a question? :aaaaa:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

SedanChair posted:

Walker dodged a question? :aaaaa:

More like it

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Can you really win a presidential election with extreme anti-gay views these days? I'm in Iowa and it seems that even the sane Republicans I know have finally conceded that gay people should be allowed to live as normal humans. Surely 50%+ of the population isn't going to vote for an idiot who supports the new Indiana law, right?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

It makes me extremely hopeful for 2016 that Jeb Bush and Walker are both coming out in support of that law. I figured they were going to do a better job muzzling the crazy this time around after learning from 2008 and 2012.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OctoberBlues posted:

Can you really win a presidential election with extreme anti-gay views these days? I'm in Iowa and it seems that even the sane Republicans I know have finally conceded that gay people should be allowed to live as normal humans. Surely 50%+ of the population isn't going to vote for an idiot who supports the new Indiana law, right?

I think a further question is "can you win a general election once you've been anti-gay enough to win a republican primary?"

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Walker can't answer a question to save his life.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
Young Orc
wtf is Walker trying to not seem like a cartoon villain now?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

Walker can't answer a question to save his life.

"Do you think you should be devoured by bears ten seconds from now?" "Well, uh, that's a complicated issue and we certainly need to respect the rights of ursiAAAAAARGH"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

those of us in the area generally refer to it as "that loving eyesore on the mountain"

the first time I found myself in Lynchburg (don't even remember why I was ever there), I stood agape staring at that thing, wondering what city planner/land manager/whoever decided it would be ok for them to build that.

I went to high school with a few different people who were intelligent, well-adjusted teenagers who weren't super religious or conservative, but ended up going to Liberty because their crazy fundamentalist parents would only pay for college if they went to Liberty. Felt real bad for them :(

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

forbidden lesbian posted:

America - The shining eyesore on a hill

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Will GOP candidate run on platform of trying to reverse the Supreme Court decision coming this year?

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

In the middle of a debate the skin slips off revealing the rotting animated corpse of Reagan underneath. He then goes on to win the nomination and the general.

Told ya:

No link: this is an Onion article, right? It's gotta be an Onion article.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Deep Hurting posted:

No link: this is an Onion article, right? It's gotta be an Onion article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/30/presidential-candidates-indiana-law_n_6973280.html

Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Well Huffpo has... slightly less journalistic credibility than the Onion, I guess...? :shobon:

... :smith:

(still well above Fox News, the Daily Caller, Townhall, and the like, of course)

• Locked thread