Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Chuck is also crazy in that he thinks taking law courses from an accredited institution while working in a mail room is somehow taking a shortcut.

Jimmy could have gone to the University of Chicago or Georgetown, Chuck would had the gall to loving say that. It has nothing to do with his skill and everything to do with the fact Jimmy was a gently caress up in a twenties/early thirties and that's the way Chuck liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm glad you're a nervous loving wreck, Chuck. Jesus.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Homo Depot posted:

Remembering back to when Jimmy told Chuck he passed the bar and he asked if he was proud of him Chuck hesitated for a moment before saying he was. At the time I thought it was odd but guess it makes sense now.
That, and he kinda had that 'I just stepped in dogshit' look for a split second. I mean, there always were strong hints that he was overbearing and had low/no expectations of Jimmy, but jesus christ, 'not a real lawyer' and 'chimp with a machinegun'?

I hope Jimmy does something that redlines his crazy meter, because seriously, gently caress Chuck.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wouldn't that be some poo poo, if the season ended with him spiraling down to the point of him committing his brother whose sickness might be gone for the time being just because of some mean poo poo his brother said/did to him.

I mean, there's saying some mean poo poo, and then there's systematically ruining the guy's life and crushing any chance of advancement or social mobility he gets.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Flesnolk posted:

I mean, there's saying some mean poo poo, and then there's systematically ruining the guy's life and crushing any chance of advancement or social mobility he gets.
Jimmy would probably do fine somewhere else. He just desperately wanted to be close to/work with/get the approval of his brother.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
So the arc of Jimmy to Saul is kind of explained at this point: Jimmy, scrappy with a heart of gold is let down by bad guys who are not criminals. Jimmy becomes Saul who is a criminal. Is the tease of post-Breaking Bad Saul possibly a hint at some kind of future unseen redemption?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Tupperwarez posted:

I hope Jimmy does something that redlines his crazy meter, because seriously, gently caress Chuck.

At the same time, Chuck is legitimately mentally ill and probably has been for a very long time. He's had pretty much everything he loves and cared about taken away from him due to this illness, to the point where he can't even function in society anymore, let alone be a part of it. While all this was happening, a person he had always looked down on, for pretty good reasons, had become ascendant on a very similar path to Chuck's life.

As horrible as it was, nothing he said was really untrue. Jimmy's firing from HHM makes a great deal more sense now too, maybe Jimmy was capable of redemption... or the entire firm goes down for wire fraud and conspiracy charges. Jimmy just isn't a good bet, he's a good criminal but he's still that, a criminal.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

passionate dongs posted:

So the arc of Jimmy to Saul is kind of explained at this point: Jimmy, scrappy with a heart of gold is let down by bad guys who are not criminals. Jimmy becomes Saul who is a criminal. Is the tease of post-Breaking Bad Saul possibly a hint at some kind of future unseen redemption?

Yeah I absolutely think the show is going to continue on into the cinnabon years and Jimmy is going to get some sort of happy ending now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Would have told Chuck I actually left my watch in his house, forgot where. Then tell him a week later I lied.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

People are real mad at chuck but I think what I like best about this show is everyone is right. Everyone from where they are standing are just doing the best they can. Chuck loves the law. He can't bend and he can't allow slipping jimmy to play fast and loose with the levers of power in our society. He's terrified jimmy would be a good lawyer by doing things his way instead of chuck's way. He's not mustache twirlingly evil he's just hoping this thing that makes him profoundly uncomfortable goes away without a huge explosion.
Chuck has absolutely zero moral high ground. Instead of telling his brother what he thought of him, he had Hammlin play the bad guy. Then he had the loving balls to lean on Jimmy for complete accommodation (seriously, the first episode he served basically the same storytelling purpose as Walter Jr., a loved one with a debilitating condition that the protagonist cares for so that we like them) while keeping up this charade is completely disgusting. This isn't about keeping the law sacred or any of that poo poo. This is a man used to being the Golden Child seeing his brother actually come into his own, and his ego can't handle that to the point where it makes him literally crazy. Maybe Jimmy's "taking shortcuts" in that he's not going the traditional route of "pay a shitload of money to get a degree from a high-profile university when everyone has to take the same test to pass the bar," and yeah his style in court is unorthodox, but holy poo poo he got a death sentence down to six months probation. He's a drat good lawyer who's doing his best to be a good person. And now the man who he's looked to for moral guidance says that he will always be a two-bit scam artist. gently caress him.

Hammlin was such a boring antagonist. Chuck's the kind of self-righteous, elitist, disgusting rear end in a top hat that makes for a truly compelling villain, because, like Walter White, he represents some of the most toxic ideas of our society.

Edit: I don't buy for a loving second that Chuck was an angelic boy scout that never did anything morally questionable ever. You don't lie to your brother for years while letting him support you without having some past sins.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Would have told Chuck I actually left my watch in his house, forgot where. Then tell him a week later I lied.

I was afraid during that whole scene at the end--that amazing, amazing scene--that Jimmy had his cell on him. I was really glad to see him grab it from the mailbox.

The whole problem was that he loves his brother/wants to make him proud, he doesn't want to hurt him.

It was sad as poo poo and Bob Odenkirk sold the hell out of that scene.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Chuck has absolutely zero moral high ground. Instead of telling his brother what he thought of him, he had Hammlin play the bad guy. Then he had the loving balls to lean on Jimmy for complete accommodation (seriously, the first episode he served basically the same storytelling purpose as Walter Jr., a loved one with a debilitating condition that the protagonist cares for so that we like them) while keeping up this charade is completely disgusting. This isn't about keeping the law sacred or any of that poo poo. This is a man used to being the Golden Child seeing his brother actually come into his own, and his ego can't handle that to the point where it makes him literally crazy. Maybe Jimmy's "taking shortcuts" in that he's not going the traditional route of "pay a shitload of money to get a degree from a high-profile university when everyone has to take the same test to pass the bar," and yeah his style in court is unorthodox, but holy poo poo he got a death sentence down to six months probation. He's a drat good lawyer who's doing his best to be a good person. And now the man who he's looked to for moral guidance says that he will always be a two-bit scam artist. gently caress him.

Hammlin was such a boring antagonist. Chuck's the kind of self-righteous, elitist, disgusting rear end in a top hat that makes for a truly compelling villain, because, like Walter White, he represents some of the most toxic ideas of our society.

Agreed, Chuck may be pitiable but he's irredeemable. Not only is his line of bullshit about loving the law just that, bullshit, but his feelings about where he thinks Jimmy should be in life torpedoed some of his best opportunities to not become Saul Goodman. He acts like Jimmy is a poo poo criminal attorney when all evidence is to the contrary, now he's sent him down the self-fulfilling prophecy express lane to becoming a criminal attorney.

I don't know what's a more surprising turn-around, WWE making me not hate Roman Reigns so much or BCS making me not hate Hamlin so much.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Talking about performances, Hamlin yelling at Kim was amazing. Just the way he said the word "care" loving owned.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

boom boom boom posted:

Talking about performances, Hamlin yelling at Kim was amazing. Just the way he said the word "care" loving owned.

Yeah that scene owned. I don't know if maybe I was reading into it, but I feel like the part where he stopped Kim to explain things felt pretty real, too. He knew that was uncalled for.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The only bit of :unsmith: I can come up with is that Saul probably fled New Mexico with more money than Chuck ever had if he was getting any kind of percentage on Walt's income.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, the podcast is already out. That's early! I know what I'm gonna be doing first thing at work tomorrow :)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah that scene owned. I don't know if maybe I was reading into it, but I feel like the part where he stopped Kim to explain things felt pretty real, too. He knew that was uncalled for.

Hamlin's delivery in general is just something else. So clipped, so precise, so gleamingly polished. Every word he says is perfectly chosen for maximum impact, and the way he fires it out of his mouth gives it power even if he's not using it as a weapon.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Woah, the podcast is already out. That's early! I know what I'm gonna be doing first thing at work tomorrow :)
I don't see it here.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ http://movietouch.sony.com.edgesuite.net/podcasts/better_call_saul_v1/better_call_saul_insider_podcast.xml

LesterGroans posted:

I was afraid during that whole scene at the end--that amazing, amazing scene--that Jimmy had his cell on him. I was really glad to see him grab it from the mailbox.

The whole problem was that he loves his brother/wants to make him proud, he doesn't want to hurt him.

It was sad as poo poo and Bob Odenkirk sold the hell out of that scene.

I noticed that too. And I can't quite put it into words, but I bet there's some heavy symbolism with that last shot of Chuck, rather than running out into the light after his brother, instead chooses to slink back into the darkness, alone, like some kind of lawyer Gollum.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 31, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That printer code thing was a pretty good red herring, eh?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hmm. I've got Pocket Casts for iOS and it downloaded for me already.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who think that Chuck has any loving moral high ground because "look at how Jimmy ends up he's kind of right" look at the meeting with Hammlin where he goes "I'm very disappointed, Howard. I think you should reconsider." What a slimy, two-faced, motherfucker. Holy poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Steve Yun posted:

That printer code thing was a pretty good red herring, eh?

Better than a red herring, really. Makes the connection in your head that HHM is going to get involved.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Anyone who think that Chuck has any loving moral high ground because "look at how Jimmy ends up he's kind of right" look at the meeting with Hammlin where he goes "I'm very disappointed, Howard. I think you should reconsider." What a slimy, two-faced, motherfucker. Holy poo poo.

I knew at that point Hamlin was Chuck's patsy. Poor motherfucker, having to take the burden for Chuck screwing over his brother. I dunno if Hamlin actually hates Jimmy personally, but there's no way that doesn't make it more personal than he'd like.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 31, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm. I swear there have been several classics that did this twist, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone?

Self Fulfilling Prophecies have been a staple in ancient stories and myths. Oedipus is a good example from Greek Mythology. MacBeth is another famous example, where after the witches proclaim "All hail, Macbeth, that shalt be king hereafter!" MacBeth's ambitions to be king cause him to commit regicide.

I hope that Chuck tries to get Kim to help her and Kim leaves him to starve.

I did not see Chuck using Hamlin as the bad cop, but :golfclap: to the goons that did. Even though people saw it coming, the execution of Chuck's betrayal was a :master: Chuck did not want Jimmy to use his name.

Now, I want Jimmy/Saul/Gene to get that happy ending.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Man, that was some great TV. Chuck's belittling of Jimmy hit me right in the gut. Whew.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

gently caress you, Chuck. I hope you die in a gas canister explosion when you're trying to cook that bacon.

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Hamlin's delivery in general is just something else. So clipped, so precise, so gleamingly polished. Every word he says is perfectly chosen for maximum impact, and the way he fires it out of his mouth gives it power even if he's not using it as a weapon.

During the scene with Kim when Hamlin snapped at her it sounded "forced"(I'm not saying the actor did a bad job I'm talking purely about the character) and out of character for him. I'm trying to decide if that was Hamlin having trouble pretending to be an overtly bad guy or if that was supposed to be him taking his frustration of losing such a big case out on her.

Takes No Damage posted:

I noticed that too. And I can't quite put it into words, but I bet there's some heavy symbolism with that last shot of Chuck, rather than running out into the light after his brother, instead chooses to slink back into the darkness, alone, like some kind of lawyer Gollum.

Going a step further with this. He was willing to brave the discomfort of his condition when he needed to in order to call Hamlin and make sure to keep Jimmy out of the firm but not when his brother is walking out on him and make an attempt to mend the situation.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I feel like Hamlin also knows its bullshit to dick Jimmy around, but Chuck is obviously a very huge deal to the office and to the community (with the lawyer from last episode vividly recounting a one-time experience he had with Chuck like the guy was a celebrity) so this isn't a guy you say 'no' to.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

lotus circle posted:

I feel like Hamlin also knows its bullshit to dick Jimmy around, but Chuck is obviously a very huge deal to the office and to the community (with the lawyer from last episode vividly recounting a one-time experience he had with Chuck like the guy was a celebrity) so this isn't a guy you say 'no' to.

Yeah, they did a good job at slowly turning it from Hamlin being the big dick in charge to Chuck being the guy who can really, really throw weight around.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

I will love if it turns out that Hamlin has been completely naively sincere this entire time. If it turns out that, yes, he's kind of a dick, but not out of malice. That he honestly believed Chuck would get better. That he and Chuck decided it would be less cruel if he let Jimmy down gently. That he wasn't trying to manipulate Chuck into making Jimmy change his practice's name, it just came up in the conversation that day.

And that, ultimately, it's Chuck's actions that have let Jimmy down

Almost, but not quite yyyyyyep.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

God, that part where Jimmy says "I thought you were proud of me..." Chuck's reasoning for keeping Jimmy down is such a suckerpunch after all the hard work and initiative Jimmy has shown. No wonder he decides to become a sleazy criminal lawyer.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
"Slippin Jimmy with a law degree is like a chimp with a machine gun" is such an amazing god damned line. Between that and Mike's criminal/bad guy speech this is one of my favorite episodes so far.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

thread title needs to change to "You're not a real lawyer"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

robot roll call posted:

thread title needs to change to "You're not a real lawyer"

Sad but true

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Seriously, this is pretty much dead on what I wanted from this show.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Fabian really does a great job selling how backed into a corner Hamlin is. He has no cover, no legitimate excuse not to bring on Jimmy, so he's like a very suave deer in headlights when asked why he won't.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Adder Moray posted:

Seriously, this is pretty much dead on what I wanted from this show.

I honestly like this show better than Breaking Bad and that's saying a lot. So pissed my friends all bailed on the first season of BB because they didn't feel like it was going anywhere, they don't give a poo poo about BCS

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
The post template I usually use is at work, so since the podcast came out at frikkin midnight this time y'all get a ghetto podcast mirror post until this afternoon :)

BCS 109 Pimento Live chat starts --> here
Dropbox podcast mirrors one two three

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Chuck needing Jimmy to be his inferior more than his brother is as pathetic as it is disgusting.

It also reminds me of my dad and extended family so much that I am again feeling wonderful about having moved far the gently caress away. Thanks, Better Call Saul! :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnSugarHill
Aug 13, 2013
Amazing episode. Holy poo poo. Everything about it was on point, and this show is quite well acted out. I'm glad we got to see Nacho return and I'm curious to see how he fits into the plot from here on out.

So what's the next logical progression? Chuck/Hamlin taking the case, Im assuming? They did print the "smoking gun" using Chuck's account # through HHM.

• Locked thread