Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

myron cope posted:

My manager texted me today: "I have some good news for you. Talk to you monday" (I was off today)

Two (of 5 counting me) help desk people put in letters to leave in the last week. I wonder if the two are related?

"Good news! You're getting more responsibilities. This is a great opportunity for you to really show us what you can do! Youdon'tgetanymoremoneythough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The funny response to that a month or two down the line would be to give the same message, and have the news be "I'm quitting." But if you're still in helpdesk, you probably want to keep all of your managers happy.

Or maybe his good news is they got a new hire and want you to show him the ropes.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The "Force you to leave for 6 months" thing does have it's roots in security. Basically if someone is doing something dodgy, they have to be actively doing things to circumvent audits. Doing such a thing when you're not around for 6 months is practically impossible.

I think there were financial industry jobs where they mandate that you have to take 2-4 weeks leave in one block at some point in your job so they can go over your poo poo and make sure it all checks out.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

NZAmoeba posted:

I think there were financial industry jobs where they mandate that you have to take 2-4 weeks leave in one block at some point in your job so they can go over your poo poo and make sure it all checks out.
My company (a bank) used to require ten consecutive business days, but when the regulatory environment relaxed their requirement to one week, so did we.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

My company (a bank) used to require ten consecutive business days, but when the regulatory environment relaxed their requirement to one week, so did we.

Yeah, I used to be on a network security team and we had to take 2 weeks in a block at least once a year. Fortunately, due to seniority and the mandated nature of the time off, we had a pretty generous vacation pool.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

evol262 posted:

It sounds like a new policy at MS.

I dunno about Microsoft, but banks like to hire people who worked at other banks, and it never seemed like anyone had trouble getting a different job

There are a shitton more banks then there are Microsofts.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NZAmoeba posted:

The "Force you to leave for 6 months" thing does have it's roots in security. Basically if someone is doing something dodgy, they have to be actively doing things to circumvent audits. Doing such a thing when you're not around for 6 months is practically impossible.

Automate your dodginess!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:toot: Telling your boss that you are interested in a position in a different department is the best feeling ever. (Hopefully) goodbye, world of desktop support, hello NOC.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Prescription Combs posted:

Pretty easy with a little effort. Before this job I had literally zero IT background.

E: Not a sysadmin myself but the requirements for entry level sysadmins(windows server) where I work is basically a functioning brain.

Hell yeah, here we go time to re-pay off my student loans and move out. I still want to ask myself when I was 17 wtf did I let my guidance counselor convince to go to college :sigh:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Alder posted:

Hell yeah, here we go time to re-pay off my student loans and move out. I still want to ask myself when I was 17 wtf did I let my guidance counselor convince to go to college :sigh:

because if you dont go to college you cant be a banker/lawyer/doctor and have a corner office and a house and two and a half kids instead you're just going to flip burgers

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

OWLS! posted:

:toot: Telling your boss that you are interested in a position in a different department is the best feeling ever. (Hopefully) goodbye, world of desktop support, hello NOC.

I let mine know I was interested in moving up to network and that I was studying for the MCSA.

Maybe it'll result in something, but he probably forgot I ever said anything the next day :toot:

We're also not getting even our usual token raises this year, even though an email was sent saying how the company made its fiscal targets. Yeah guys, I'm sure even the 1% raise would have just totally blown the budget.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 28, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

Che Delilas posted:

"Good news! You're getting more responsibilities. This is a great opportunity for you to really show us what you can do! Youdon'tgetanymoremoneythough"

This is exactly the first thing I thought when I read that post.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

socialsecurity posted:

There are a shitton more banks then there are Microsofts.

There are a shitton more software houses than banks, especially in Seattle. Our skills aren't tied to our industry at all.

Only 50% of the people went to banks. Looking for a new job after a year and a half with very long notice gives you plenty of time to find a job, and the skills at MS (development, qa, project management, etc) are just as transferrable as any other job.

If someone got a new job after a year and a half for growth or money, you wouldn't bat an eye. The people leaving still get an updated resume and probably are getting opportunities and/or money. So what's the problem?

NZAmoeba posted:

Do you realize how absurd this sounds? IS teams can work while people are employed. We did have a few weeks off for this if you were in a role where you could touch money (almost nobody in IT except for the guys writing teller software at a commercial bank, though it's probably broader at investment banks), but no.

The six month off period has everything to do with a murky regulatory mess with what counts as co-employment and common law employees, especially with multiple court cases setting precedent about long-term "contract" jobs representing a material interest to the employee, and that a "contractor" who's been there forever has just as much expectation of continued employment as a FTE. Then there's the issue of IRS reclassification of contingent workers.

Microsoft already lost a case about this maybe 10 years ago, and they're not doing well now, but almost every company which relies significantly on contractors (Intel is another good example) already does this. It's so common that I don't even know why anyone is looking for reasons, and the rules around the ACA and how many hours can be worked in a year means some companies are slowly moving away from staffing agencies entirely.

The fact that the policy only applies to US staff is incredibly telling, regardless of their stated reasons.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Alder posted:

It's better to have the degree and not need it than need it and not have it. And we're all pretty young. If you start moving up the management track, you'll be glad you have a degree.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

Do you realize how absurd this sounds? IS teams can work while people are employed. We did have a few weeks off for this if you were in a role where you could touch money (almost nobody in IT except for the guys writing teller software at a commercial bank, though it's probably broader at investment banks), but no.

The six month off period has everything to do with a murky regulatory mess with what counts as co-employment and common law employees, especially with multiple court cases setting precedent about long-term "contract" jobs representing a material interest to the employee, and that a "contractor" who's been there forever has just as much expectation of continued employment as a FTE. Then there's the issue of IRS reclassification of contingent workers.

Microsoft already lost a case about this maybe 10 years ago, and they're not doing well now, but almost every company which relies significantly on contractors (Intel is another good example) already does this. It's so common that I don't even know why anyone is looking for reasons, and the rules around the ACA and how many hours can be worked in a year means some companies are slowly moving away from staffing agencies entirely.

The fact that the policy only applies to US staff is incredibly telling, regardless of their stated reasons.

I had heard of it before but this seals the deal. I've also been told stack-ranking was never removed from Microsoft either just renamed to healthy attrition. Creepy.

Has anyone negotiated a sign-on bonus before? I have an opportunity for a hourly contract position that pays well but I lose all my benefits.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The company I work for who HQs in California has a 12 months on limit for contractors with a minimum 6 month cooling off period and its expressly for the purpose of avoiding employment claims

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Is it foolish for me to hope that someday I can be a system admin from the lowly position as help desk clerk? I just want to have dreams.

This is exactly what I did and it is 100% doable.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

MJP posted:

This is exactly what I did and it is 100% doable.

Confirming as well

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Elaborating a little bit more: if your roles were in help desk/desktop support situations, using your MCSA-studied prep stuff will help you make the transition. You can troubleshoot a little further up the stack, or if you have to escalate due to company requirements/access restrictions you can put in "I think it might be X or Y" and follow the ticket to see if that's the case or not, then maybe get feedback from the sysadmins or whoever handles it.

I jumped from around 7 years in helpdesk/desktop/MSP support to sysadmin with my experience, a resume from the SA-Mart resume dude (WORTH EVERY PENNY) and MCSAs in 2k3 and 2k8. You can't get the 2k3 one anymore but the 2k8 one is certainly still doable, and the 2k12 is one exam to upgrade.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Could anyone give me some insight into this?

Internal memo: Microsoft to cut off all ‘external staff’ after 18 months, imposing mandatory 6-month break

The 6-month break due to security smells like bullshit as not even banks force that much time off.
I can confirm that, as recently as 2012, Capital One had this policy. It was 6 months every 2 years for contractors.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Just gonna pitch in and say I've taken the advice (not from this thread) of searching for an IT job early in my studies and found one just barely into my third semester.

This feels important for a lot of obvious reasons - experience being the main, which is so very incredibly necessary. But it takes some sacrifice and dedication - if you're looking for a huge salary right away you're doing it wrong. At least where I live there are a good amount of employers SEEKING those inexperienced IT people with potential.

Tips that worked for me:

- Get a good CV. I think a good IT CV is just straight and honest, but also attractive.
- Look for jobs where they're not exactly looked for. I don't know about your school but mine received job postings before anywhere else.
- Do not be too picky about the position or the salary.
- Study - even if just a little - about newer or emerging technologies. You might find something you get passionate about, and just showing an interest in things not taught in class is huge for employers IMO
- Get involved. Showing you like applying whatever it is you're studying looks nice on your CV. In my case I just made a GitHub account.

In my example I just got kind of lucky on my second interview offer, but it should at least say something about what they want:

I had just got finished reconstructing a first semester project (A simple JS game for two players of Simon) in Angular/Node, just in my spare time between school and work studying these two. I sent an email to that first semester professor, honestly just telling him what I was up to and asking him for some blank old projects with resources I could practice on. Next thing I know he wants to give me an interview. The job itself has nothing to do with these new technologies, but they wanted someone who had a drive and passion for IT. Now I'm learning PHP and Genexus (a local technology) while working.

Not a big fan of Genexus. Code generating software is inefficient and... and I just hate it. But everything else about the job is pure and good experience, and a development environment is a billion times more fun and relaxed than any job I've ever had before. The methodical mixed with the casual.

tl;dr Dedicate yourself. Get into the field. There's something for everyone who just likes working with computers.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Alder posted:

Is it foolish for me to hope that someday I can be a system admin from the lowly position as help desk clerk? I just want to have dreams.

It's incredibly common to move from helpdesk to system admin. I think you'll find a majority of techs have but its not required.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
In smaller environments, it's incredibly common to be both sysadmin and help desk simultaneously. You might tackle configuring some Exchange calendar stuff in the morning, then show your coworker/CEO how to invite people to a meeting in the afternoon.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

In smaller environments, it's incredibly common to be both sysadmin and help desk simultaneously. You might tackle configuring some Exchange calendar stuff in the morning, then show your coworker/CEO how to invite people to a meeting in the afternoon.

This is me.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
A recruiter reached out to me and I talked with her on the phone this morning. Position sounds promising and, after following the thread's advice about salary negotiation, she was the first to throw out a number which was ~50% higher than what I'm at right now. Wasn't planning to :yotj:, but this is shaping up very nicely.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wizard of the Deep posted:

But will I be paid for my ability to wear multiple hats? :v:

Otherwise one job is fine enough for me. Alright, thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. Meantime, I'm trying to fix why Powershell won't work for me on my PC.

Side note: Does anyone seriously go for jobs thinking: I want to do into ___ industry for money. The only real exceptions are lobbyists, politics, and/or petroleum engineering. C'mon now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Alder posted:

But will I be paid for my ability to wear multiple hats? :v:

Otherwise one job is fine enough for me. Alright, thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. Meantime, I'm trying to fix why Powershell won't work for me on my PC.
Some people complain about the multiple hats thing as a matter of principle, but I see nothing wrong with being paid sysadmin salary to do helpdesk work.

Alder posted:

Side note: Does anyone seriously go for jobs thinking: I want to do into ___ industry for money. The only real exceptions are lobbyists, politics, and/or petroleum engineering. C'mon now.
The whole Bay Area is full of people who went into computering for the money. They would have been shady brokers/traders in the '80s, but the venture capital flows as freely as the cocaine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Misogynist posted:

The whole Bay Area is full of people who went into computering for the money. They would have been shady brokers/traders in the '80s, but the venture capital flows as freely as the cocaine.

Hell, pre dotcom bubble-burst, you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a MCSE BOOT-CAMP, or CCNA IN 4 MONTHS "learning center" in some strip-mall. The radio was absolutely FLOODED with ads for these kind of places and the basic message was "Look at how much money you can make!"

There are plenty of people who get into a career because of the perceived money. Lawyers and doctors come to mind as well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Found another foreigner hanging around today. This one was German.

Here's what $1.5 million looks like:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wonder what the insurance is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

Found another foreigner hanging around today. This one was German.

Here's what $1.5 million looks like:

That is beautiful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I wanted to lick that paint job, and every bit of chrome was so pristine my eyes were being lasered.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The decent climate you enjoy there makes it pop as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

That is beautiful.

And then, as the owner drives it to go back into cryogenic storage, the car in front of him kicks up a pebble with its rear tire, skipping off the hood and chipping the windshield.

Yes, I know. I'm a monster.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So the good news teased last week: 20% raise

I was making poo poo so it's not quite as exciting as it sounds, but still, I'm fairly excited

Also, still talk of a promotion but no firm date (or even what position it would be to). It sounded more concrete than before, but still waiting on this nebulous "hiring freeze" to end. It's ending soon I'd imagine, on account of two new hires in other departments starting today.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

I was making poo poo so it's not quite as exciting as it sounds, but still, I'm fairly excited

Also, still talk of a promotion but no firm date (or even what position it would be to). It sounded more concrete than before, but still waiting on this nebulous "hiring freeze" to end. It's ending soon I'd imagine, on account of two new hires in other departments starting today.

Nice, dude, congrats

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

myron cope posted:

Sure is nice to see that there's still at least one manager that doesn't use percentage as an excuse. "20%? That's a HUGE percentage INCREASE!" Yeah boss, and if you approve it then I'll almost be getting an average rate.

Congrats man.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Dick Trauma posted:

I wanted to lick that paint job, and every bit of chrome was so pristine my eyes were being lasered.

So pristine I can tell you're still wearing a tie

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

I'm looking for some career progression advice. I recently left my old job where my title was junior systems engineer and moved to Australia and am currently job hunting. How important is it in the long term that my next job ditch the junior part of the title? I've got an interview for a junior project engineer role at an MSP that looks interesting but I'm worried how it will look on a CV that I've jumped from junior to junior. I held my previous title for 2 years and was doing help desk phone support for two years prior to that. Obviously this worry is all moot until I actually get an offer but I'm also wondering if I should just be weeding those postings out as I continue to hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Harry Lime posted:

I'm looking for some career progression advice. I recently left my old job where my title was junior systems engineer and moved to Australia and am currently job hunting. How important is it in the long term that my next job ditch the junior part of the title? I've got an interview for a junior project engineer role at an MSP that looks interesting but I'm worried how it will look on a CV that I've jumped from junior to junior. I held my previous title for 2 years and was doing help desk phone support for two years prior to that. Obviously this worry is all moot until I actually get an offer but I'm also wondering if I should just be weeding those postings out as I continue to hunt.

You can title your role however you like on your resume.