Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

A little off-topic for AI, but I get it. A lot of people have had their lives harmed by religion/religious people and find stuff like that offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would have probably just gone with a powersports battery or something in lieu of a Group 53. Something like a nice Deka would have been pretty cheap (usually under $100, especially in the US), crank the car just as well and give you more room for working in the car.

Changing over the terminals to a screw-top isn't that big of a deal on something this old, I assume.

I really want to set up an electrolytic rust removal rig. I assume it's so badly seized that even with a torch you can't use a wheeled or direct stud puller or something to extract it from the rails huh?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 19, 2015

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Nah, screw top would have been easy. I went with a Group 35 Optima red top when I thought I couldn't get something the right size, but part of the annoyance is that Datsun expect the battery to be about the same width as the inner body rails. Fatter batteries stick out over the side, and don't line up with the bracket's hold-down points. I also considered some marine and powersports batteries. For what it's worth, I bet the gel-cel in my motorcycle could turn the gear reduction starter on this engine, but it ultimately turned into yet another case of "I need this to be factory++".

Re: seat rails, I think the issue is more that the studs are bonded to the rail, somehow. I'm not sure if they're welded, or what, but on one of them, I was tearing up metal from the rail when removing it. Another one just came straight out, though, so maybe they're just rust welded.

It's tough to exert force on the rail. There's so little space to either side of the stud head that getting another tool in is tough, and there's not enough of a lip to use a cold chisel. I actually had my best luck using the cutoff tool to split the head, and then push on it from the other side.

They look something like this:

pre:
         ___
        |.-`|
        |.-`|
        |.-`|
     ___|.-`|___
    |  \...../  |
____|           |____

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

God drat it, you guys got me thinking about how bad my FSM is.

More :shepspends:

Also, need to leave work and touch things. :saddowns:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

:3:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Unf.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Gorgeous. My old Volvos are pretty popular so I shouldn't complain about the support and parts availability (which is pretty good)... but we don't have anything that cool.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I used to think Datsun parts availability was laughable, and then I bought a Volvo.
(I'm still out $200 to RSI, and there's no one else that sells drive train parts...)

That wheel looks phenomenal!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

revmoo posted:

A little off-topic for AI, but I get it. A lot of people have had their lives harmed by religion/religious people and find stuff like that offensive.

Exactly.

Personally, I haven't been harmed PERSONALLY by religion, but I'm the black sheep in my stepdad's family (most of his family actively shuns me, and also my stepfather because he's related to me by marriage),, and some of my mom's family. My stepdad, surprisingly, was the most accepting when I got outed - he's as hardcore southern Baptist as they get. My (blood) father's family was more along the lines of "..... you said you had something important to tell us.. wait, that was it? okay, cool" when I got outed.

I have absolutely no problem with people following their own religions - I consider myself atheist with a side of humanist, but I attend a Unitarian Universalist fellowship 2-3x a month - IMO, don't mix business and religion unless you're a registered nonprofit.

/derail

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I know it's purely anecdotal, but It also seems that businesses that advertise how Christian they are, whether it be bible verses or that fish symbol on their website or ads, are the ones more likely to gently caress you over. A friend of mine used to call it "hosed by the fish". Maybe it's just more noticeable because you expect better treatment from someone who professes loudly to love their neighbor.

Like the tuner that screwed up my C70. His mission statement is a bible verse pinned to the bottom of every page of his website. He locked out the immobilizer, and I had to pay for a tow and a software reload to the tune of $500+ to get it fixed. And he offered not even a loving word of remorse or apology, let alone an attempt to make me whole. And he stuck to his "no refunds" policy like it was the 11th commandment. Basically ripped me (among dozens of other customers) off for $500 and is smugly sitting in his office thinking he's still right with god. He should have asked me for receipts and sent me a check, because not only was it 100% his fault, he learned what he did wrong from me, which he uses to help other customers now.

The bible says you know a tree by its fruit - It's supposed to be obvious you're a Christian without you saying it out loud.

Sorry to continue the derail. I do consider myself someone hurt by religion, and the wounds are old but once in a while I still feel like venting.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 26, 2015

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
I know a guy who worked for a body shop that had a Jesus Fish on the sign, was all Jesus this and that but fired him on the spot for even considering for job hunting. Assholes.

The best people of any religious faith(or in general) don't wear it on a shirt or need to tell you about it. They just are.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Doesn't the Bible specifically call out those who loudly flaunt their faith in public as hypocrites, and praise those who practice their faith quietly and in private?

Ninja edit: http://biblehub.com/matthew/6.htm

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It's a pretty general rule of thumb: if someone is a loudmouth about being religious, they're probably not a good person. Got religious poo poo all over your website? Probably not good to deal with.

SimulatedWoodgrain posted:

The best people of any religious faith(or in general) don't wear it on a shirt or need to tell you about it. They just are.

This, a million times this. Anyone of any religion(or an atheist or whatever) who's a good person? They don't say it. They don't actively advertise it. They do good poo poo, and be good people.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Okay, I'm back. I got caught up in a software sprint, and have basically been treading water ever since.

Here's a preview of a video I'm putting together, for you, AI.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

ironblock posted:

Okay, I'm back. I got caught up in a software sprint, and have basically been treading water ever since.

:f5: fuuuuuuuuuuuu. Bring. It. On.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Yes Please

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Is that flame coming out of one of the carbs? :staredog:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Huge_Midget posted:

Is that flame coming out of one of the carbs? :staredog:

Yes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A good carb backfire puts hair on your chest.

Or takes it off, whatever, I've been having trouble putting thoughts together in logical order since the last one.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Or shatters your starter nose. YMMV

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Or puts a cool soot pattern on your face like loonie tunes

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A good carb backfire puts hair on your chest.

Or takes it off, whatever, I've been having trouble putting thoughts together in logical order since the last one.

It also destroys pants. And they get destroyed some more when you remove the air filter housing and find it full of gas, and realize just how close you were to something really ugly happening. :supaburn:

(always double check the float when you're rebuilding a carb...)

POST THE VIDEO

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ironblock posted:

no solo homegrown videos please, keep your hands where we can see 'em.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQUzJZDWqNE&hd=1

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Perhaps the day late blue balls was a day early April Fools for IronBlock. :tinfoil:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet. What a great sounding little engine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:bravo: Now I'm rethinking my plan on going fuel injected on the 320i...again.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Carbs are magical. I went through a whole process with these, and now I wouldn't use anything else.

1. "I've done motorcycle carbs; I'll be fine"
2. "These are... uh... different"
3. "Holy poo poo will this even work"
4. "...And if I compare the CFM at THIS RPM..."
5. "I'm doomed"
6. "Why are these so complicated"
7. "CARBS ARE BLACK MAGIC"
8. Started the engine
9. "Woah these are really simple and straightforward"
10. "How can they do this with so few moving parts?"

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Holy christ. I... I don't know what to make of this one. It's either amazing or terrible or maybe both...?

http://www.amazon.com/Ironwood-Pacific-Snap-Setter-Tool/dp/B00SVRXJNO/

Somehow, the DIY market for snap installing tools is... really bad. Like, really really bad.

$41, and not even available on Amazon Prime! :downs:

In other news, the Solvang Show is in 20 days, so that's become the major forcing function in my life.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You know the old saying about if its stupid and it works. :v:

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
On my first cabriolet I was poor as gently caress but also tired of the lovely looking top so with the help of my mom we made a new top and to redo the snaps I used a vice with nuts and washers, it worked good. Make sure to tape them to the vice to not have to re-set everything for each snap.

Top turned out fine :

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Elmnt80 posted:

You know the old saying about if its stupid and it works. :v:

Is there a saying about not paying for other people's lovely hacks though :v:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Fantastic updates. Side drafts are the best and this makes me inspired to spend some more time on my '02 getting it cleaned up and driveable for the summer.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

this isn't OP is it ?? :o

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4964444274.html

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Sh4 posted:

On my first cabriolet I was poor as gently caress but also tired of the lovely looking top so with the help of my mom we made a new top and to redo the snaps I used a vice with nuts and washers, it worked good. Make sure to tape them to the vice to not have to re-set everything for each snap.

Top turned out fine :

Is that a Peugeot 205 Roland Garros?

My wife wanted one ever since she had a "normal" Peugeot 205 1.1.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

drukqs posted:

this isn't OP is it ?? :o

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4964444274.html
Pretty sure OP's car is black.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Can confirm, OP's car is black. I actually just filled for gas in Woodside, and ended up recommending a starstruck bystander that he check out that exact car.

"Only $8500! Wow, these things are still cheap!"

Oh Woodside... Never change. :allears:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ironblock posted:

"Only $8500! Wow, these things are still cheap!"

Saw this today and thought for a moment about calling thanks to this thread:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4967059836.html

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Ahhh... Yeah I haven't been on SA a lot lately.

was just doing some CL surfing and saw "woodside" and "tiny datsun" and thought of OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Is... is this your first time with manual timing? Listening to that motor when your timing was utterly hosed was painful. Then again I learned timing by ear on my F250, BMW 318 (M10), and Miata, so I kinda know what to listen for.

Glad to see it running though! Sounds wicked :kheldragar: Now, where's the rest of the story :suspense:

• Locked thread