Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Insert name here posted:

I once pulled up literally right next to an enemy Kongo in mine and we duked it out Age of Sail style and it was boss as hell

Had that happen on Big Race today, too. We passed so close that the primary turrets couldn't keep up tracking anymore while the secondaries kept firing into each other at point blank. I just took that as an opportunity to blow a neary cruiser into pieces with my forward turrets. :black101:

What I'm saying is that people need to be more aggressive and willing to get stuck in with their BBs.

Stevefin posted:

I think the only real difference we will see from WWII era German ships in game was their design to be 'unsinkable by flooding'. which could lead to less torp damage or less flooding damage/chance

Didn't the Bismarck also have some fancy sliding breech system for her 15-inchers that allowed a rather high rate of fire for guns that size? IIRC, she could do around 3 shots a minute, which would be a pretty loving impressive RoF compared with the current in-game BB primaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
How's my driving is hilarious. I have to use that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Saying "GG sea cancers.." made two enemy carrier players mad. One tried to go into a tirade but the cap timer ran out. Mission accomplished.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
Zigzagging through cannon fire, smoke, and torpedoes everywhere owns bones, especially when you blind fire your torps and wipe out the enemy teams destroyers

i know torp fu

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

demonR6 posted:

Saying "GG sea cancers.." made two enemy carrier players mad. One tried to go into a tirade but the cap timer ran out. Mission accomplished.

Carrier sailors also get really mad when first their fighters then their torp bombers fly in a straight line towards the battleship blob and into a cruiser's woodchipper I've discovered.

Seriously, carriers consistently seem to attract the biggest morons in my experience. At least tunnel-vision battleships usually put some shells on target.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah carriers are consistently the most useless players in the game, except for maybe the DDs who rush in and get bitch-slapped out of existence 2 minutes into the round

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Magni posted:

Had that happen on Big Race today, too. We passed so close that the primary turrets couldn't keep up tracking anymore while the secondaries kept firing into each other at point blank. I just took that as an opportunity to blow a neary cruiser into pieces with my forward turrets. :black101:

What I'm saying is that people need to be more aggressive and willing to get stuck in with their BBs.

Make sure not to do this near islands or destroyers will eat you.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Make sure not to do this near islands or destroyers will eat you.

Sometimes. Other times you can do the funniest poo poo to them because hey just plain don't compute a BB being that reckless, flub their tops and then sit there looking sad and confused while the secondaries open up. I wouldn't recommend trying anything like that with the Fuso. The Kongo? That girl can dance once you get the hang of her.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Calling them Sky Cancer is fun, but I prefer calling them worthless instead. Especially the ones who call to "protect the carriers guys!" at the start of the match.

Got one guy to rage at me when told him he had a "worthless pancake ship" after he asked for protection, even as I killed a destroyer who broke through the middle and beelined him, and he ended the match with five air kills and 3rd last in exp. Meanwhile, our carrier who didn't say poo poo downed two battleships and enabled at least one cruiser kill that I saw.

Dodging torpedo planes is a lot easier than it seems as long as you stay aware of them and don't tunnel. The problem, like real naval battles interestingly enough, is it is a major disruption to your movements and maneuvering.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

:what:

(I'm sad I died by being an idiot and never got to take a shot at the Yamato)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How do secondary batteries work?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hammerstein posted:

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-044.htm

The Working Environment for German Warship design in WWI and WWII

I think some other goon posted this in another topic a long time ago - anyway this is an article about the differences in design philosophy between the Reichsmarine and Kriegsmarine. Quite a good read imho.

That was likely me, I link navweaps a bunch because the articles are all fantastic and well worth reading.

This one is well worth reading both for game and history reasons: http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-069.htm

And this one is super fun and is probably the best understanding of how ships got made and the sort of stuff the designers were thinking about : http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-035.htm

Shadeoses posted:

How do secondary batteries work?

Get too close to red boats and they will shoot them a non-zero yet insufficient amount.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheDemon posted:

Calling them Sky Cancer is fun, but I prefer calling them worthless instead. Especially the ones who call to "protect the carriers guys!" at the start of the match.

I like to tell them that they aren't sky cancer. Cancer doesn't have a cure. :smug:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

I love getting a battleship near another battleship, it looks like battlestar galactica with all the secondary batteries opening up. Especially if there are some planes overhead.

Are there any videos of this? I'd love to see it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Does anyone else never get "decent" games in a DD? All my DD games are either I die instantly in a horrible manner and I get double digit XP or I gently caress poo poo up and get quad digits on a loss (or I die instantly in a horrible manner and still get quad digit XP :iiam:), but I never get average games where I get like 500 or 600 XP.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So what ship is best to grind credits in at the moment? A Kongo?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So what ship is best to grind credits in at the moment? A Kongo?

So far the Omaha has been my prime choice for credit printing.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
All the tier 5 ships I tried so far print credits like crazy. 100k+ for a decent game normally.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This game needs a mod that shows gun and torpedo range for everything.

Also it was better in alpha when every other battle was a 1 on 1 with some shitlord, instead of you vs 23 shitlords.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
On TeamSpeak earlier tonight....

:haw: : hey guys lets do a 6-7 division!
:v: :v: : ok !

:wtc: :stare: :stonk: :stonkhat:

GAME ON ! :bustem: :black101:

A bit later....

:snoop: :boom: :pwn:

The Shimmy did the usual DD thing of trying to solo smokescreen cap A, but we somehow spotted him & focused him down. The Essex driver was :hawaaaafap:ping as hard as he could I think, he blew away some serious chunks of BB HP, and for whatever reason the Yam driver eventually felt the need to try and hide from us by going down the small E-W channel @ Cap A while the torpedo bombers were landed for reloading. :shrug: :stonklol: I saved this replay for posterity.

McGavin posted:

One of the mods that demon6 posted up-thread a ways does a perma-alt key thing, so at least you can see HP bars & ranges (see 1st screenshot).

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 31, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Yamato isn't too scary right now because their turrets are hilariously easy to pen. I guess they forgot to add a 0 or something to their armor value, because they're just pathetic. Shooting HE in the T6 Aoba managed to keep knocking them out over and over.

He ended up getting me with his secondaries, but not before I torpedoed him, flooded him, and set him on fire with less than 7k HP left :supaburn:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

MREBoy posted:

GAME ON ! :bustem:

Man, this seems like it was a fun match! I wish I could join a division and do cool stuff like this sometimes.

You mind sharing the replay later, when you get the chance?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I can't the the ship short overview in the top left/right corner, like in MREBoys screenshot. Is that an option in settings I've somehow missed, or did the mod that keeps ALT pressed down remove it somehow?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Cythereal posted:

Carrier sailors also get really mad when first their fighters then their torp bombers fly in a straight line towards the battleship blob and into a cruiser's woodchipper I've discovered.

Seriously, carriers consistently seem to attract the biggest morons in my experience. At least tunnel-vision battleships usually put some shells on target.

To be fair, a lot of it has to do with spotting mechanics (or at least I hope). Often times a carrier will send his planes out to a battleship and have the planes go over an island, only to find out that a Cleveland is hiding behind said island and was not spotted because of that. If the carrier player is not paying attention at that point, none of his planes will ever come back. I do it all the time in my cleveland and it is hilarious. It sucks when you're the carrier tho.

I find that carriers are not nearly the sky cancer that artillery in W.o.T are. Carrier players are often hit or miss. Either they do a poo poo ton of damage and/or maybe a few kills, or they are completely useless and none of their torpedoes hit. The funniest poo poo is when a carrier is loading with only fighters, and there's no carriers on the opposing team. When your only targets are scout planes, you are in for a very boring match.

McGavin posted:

But.. the game already shows you. For torpedo range anyways. When you aim your torpedoes, it shows you exactly how far it will go. It just does not tell you in terms of km. Gun range is a bit tricker tho, bu tfrom what I noticed if you can aim for it you can hit it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Daktari posted:

I can't the the ship short overview in the top left/right corner, like in MREBoys screenshot. Is that an option in settings I've somehow missed, or did the mod that keeps ALT pressed down remove it somehow?

Here's the link to the OP on the warships forum.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/21244-from-eu-mod030modpack-carnival-in-wows/

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Well. I seem to have been unsuccessful in procuring more US beta keys (as of right now; there may or may not be keys coming later, I don't have any definite answers to that yet). :(

However, I still have four more EU keys sitting around. Post away if you requested an US key but want an EU key instead (or if you just want an EU key period). I'll wait with handing them out until tomorrow sometime, preference goes to people who were top on Dr Arbitrary's waiting list, if they want the keys that is.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 31, 2015

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Well. I seem to have been unsuccessful in procuring more US beta keys (as of right now; there may or may not be keys coming later, I don't have any definite answers to that yet). :(

However, I still have four more EU keys sitting around. Post away if you requested an US key but want an EU key instead (or if you just want an EU key period). I'll wait with handing them out until tomorrow sometime, preference goes to people who were top on Dr Arbitrary's waiting list, if they want the keys that is.

First of all, thanks for the last key :) However, now one of my friends is heartbroken, as he wanted to play the game as badly as I did. If you feel comfortable about giving out seconds, he and I would very much appreciate it! If someone without a key wants it, that takes precedence of course.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

TheFluff posted:

That's me, going to change my preference if you'll allow it! uh, April Fool's, I guess?

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Here's the DropBox link to the rising sun flag I made fro those that wanted it.

Gracias!

Kingcobra
Mar 15, 2007

Ignore me, I'm just looking around.

TheFluff posted:

Would love an EU key if there is one, my F5 key is starting to wear out as I frantically check for an email to see if Wargaming are willing to let me in on the sweet ship on ship action yet.

Kingcobra fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 31, 2015

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011

TheFluff posted:

I don't know if I am already on that list but I asked for an EU key back on page 54 and I am still interested.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheFluff posted:

I think the only EU request left on the list is from Doctors Inc

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Posting to join the queue for a US beta code.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I'll take a European code, if possible.

Pork (period) is (period) infidelicious at Gmail dot com.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 31, 2015

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

TheFluff posted:

I'd love an EU key, been signing up to everything I can but had no luck yet. Add my name to the EU list!

chrisgould at gmail dot com

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

TheFluff posted:

I'd very much appreciate an EU key if you still have them. Thank you.

ghostofmussolini at gmail.com

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

You can probably figure out where it goes by searching. ;)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The list of EU people I have left is:
  1. Sidesaddle Cavalry (EU)
  2. Ataxerxes(US/EU)
  3. Doctors Inc (EU)
  4. Kingcobra (EU)
  5. Infidelicious(EU)
  6. White Snipes (EU)
  7. Ghost of Mussolini (EU)
  8. Vodos (EU)

Did I miss anyone?

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 1, 2015

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I'll take EU also, I'm not picky.

Edit: I mean instead of US, if they are availible.

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Oh hey, we're getting submarines.

No, we're not.