Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

RZA Encryption posted:

To anyone looking for "which phone should I get?" advice, the score hasn't changed at all. Your options are iphone 6 (big or small) or Nexus 6 (big) or 2013 Moto X (small). Anything else results in misery.

Disagree, Z3c is fantastic and I love it way more than my Moto X 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TraderStav posted:

Ok, still infuriating how counter-intuitive it is. I've been using Lollipop on my N7 and can never seem to get it all sorted out the way I want it to.

What do you mean by counter-intuitive?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

The z3c is the best phone I have ever owned. The skin over default aosp is light and unobtrusive, and 2 days worth of battery life is awesome.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

LastInLine posted:

If you're married to it, you're married to it but the Nexus 6 is a better choice in every way as it has the front speakers you want and will work on a better carrier if you decide to switch later on. Given how outsized the M8 is for a screen of its size you aren't looking at that big a jump in size and you'll reap a lot more benefit from the size it does have.

All fair points. I kept writing it off due to it's size but if that's the only strike it's got but otherwise meets all my criteria maybe I should budge on size instead of on performance. Guess I'll go to the Sprint store and see if a Nexus 6 fits in my pocket.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Personally not having any experience with LG phones, my coworkers G2 still seems pretty great. His battery life is also incredible for having had it and run it rough since the phone came out. Still love my 2013 moto x though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Personally not having any experience with LG phones, my coworkers G2 still seems pretty great. His battery life is also incredible for having had it and run it rough since the phone came out. Still love my 2013 moto x though.

Yeah, I ended up selling my Nexus 5 for ~$300 and bought a new G2 for ~$210 from one of those eBay deals. It's silly how good the battery life and camera still are. The software is gross, but I did just enough shameful fuckery with it to load a stock rom that had all the awful T-Mobile/security/bloat stuff removed, installed Google Now Launcher, Google Keyboard, etc, and it's tolerable.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

RZA Encryption posted:

To anyone looking for "which phone should I get?" advice, the score hasn't changed at all. Your options are iphone 6 (big or small) or Nexus 6 (big) or 2013 Moto X (small). Anything else results in misery.

Droid Turbo :colbert:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
The Verge likes the Galaxy S6, but it sounds like battery life kinda sucks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

To be fair, The Verge's battery tests have usually been pretty subjective unlike say ArsTechnica. I mean yeah you've got a lot more pixels to push from a smaller battery but everywhere else I'm reading says that it's about the same, maybe a little less than the S5 (which was pretty fricken great).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I know you want to defend your purchase, but please don't forget history. The Droid Turbo's life will almost certainly mimic that of the Droid Maxx. Sure, it seems like an improved version of the moto x. Better line items on the information sheet, but it's still ugly and verizon still has you by the balls for updates. The Droid Maxx made a valiant effort to stay in line with the moto x for updates, but you know motorola isn't going to/can't devote resources to a single carrier phone that (by several accounts) has the strictest update process. The Turbo will be the same way. Good support at first, but will taper off far before that of the Nexus 6 or the multi-carrier sibling it's trying to out-line item (2014 moto x). We've been through this before, we have the data points, we know what works and what doesn't. Don't buy phones that aren't directly supported by the platform creator and especially don't buy phones that aren't on all major carriers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, The Verge always gets really really weird battery life results. Their results for the Droid MAXX were literally half of what I would have gotten in the same conditions.

RZA Encryption posted:

I know you want to defend your purchase, but please don't forget history. The Droid Turbo's life will almost certainly mimic that of the Droid Maxx. Sure, it seems like an improved version of the moto x. Better line items on the information sheet, but it's still ugly and verizon still has you by the balls for updates. The Droid Maxx made a valiant effort to stay in line with the moto x for updates, but you know motorola isn't going to/can't devote resources to a single carrier phone that (by several accounts) has the strictest update process. The Turbo will be the same way. Good support at first, but will taper off far before that of the Nexus 6 or the multi-carrier sibling it's trying to out-line item (2014 moto x). We've been through this before, we have the data points, we know what works and what doesn't. Don't buy phones that aren't directly supported by the platform creator and especially don't buy phones that aren't on all major carriers.

In case you haven't noticed, the Droid MAXX is on the same update cycle as the Moto X. Neither have lollipop yet on Verizon. Both are on 4.4.4. In fact, you could argue that the MAXX is seeing better update support since it at least has VoLTE where the X does not.

Verizon has X owners just as by the balls for updates. They all have to be approved by the carrier.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 31, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Also the opposite of this is that if you have a Nexus 5, you were a guinea pig for Lollipop and had a ton of memory leak issues :confuoot:

To be honest, this is a weird time for Android. Motorola has been a bit behind on keeping up with updates for their main devices (like bull said, the Moto X and Droid Maxx are supposed to get Lollipop but nothing yet), the Nexus devices have had a shaky start but are finally there, and LG, HTC, and Samsung have all had a few of their flagships updated more quickly than anyone would have thought.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Is it possible to stop the notification bar from changing colour depending on what app I'm using? I.e. stay solid black the whole time. GS5 on the absolute best fw of all time, lollipop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Email all the app developers and tell them to change their bars to black!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

From what I can tell from reading this thread, it's a good thing Motorola hasn't rolled out Lollipop for those devices yet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Samsung has been pretty good about updates for a while now. The S III shipped with the current version of Android and received 4 major updates. That's tied with the Nexus 4 and better than every other Nexus phone. The only Android device that's gotten more updates is the 2012 Nexus 7 that went from 4.1 to 5.1 which is pretty baffling considering it has a Tegra 3.

Sure Samsung is a little slower (the S4 is getting Lollipop now) but it's not like the old days when you were lucky to get more than one update.

Lblitzer posted:

Also the opposite of this is that if you have a Nexus 5, you were a guinea pig for Lollipop and had a ton of memory leak issues :confuoot:
I wouldn't call needing to reboot the phone every few days a "ton of memory leak issues" but if that's the reason Samsung waited so long then why are they still sending it out?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

Samsung has been pretty good about updates for a while now. The S III shipped with the current version of Android and received 4 major updates. That's tied with the Nexus 4 and better than every other Nexus phone. The only Android device that's gotten more updates is the 2012 Nexus 7 that went from 4.1 to 5.1 which is pretty baffling considering it has a Tegra 3.

Sure Samsung is a little slower (the S4 is getting Lollipop now) but it's not like the old days when you were lucky to get more than one update.

I wouldn't call needing to reboot the phone every few days a "ton of memory leak issues" but if that's the reason Samsung waited so long then why are they still sending it out?

Maybe I should have restated that Verizon flagships have been pretty timely with updates.

AFAIK, the Nexus 5 and Moto G are the only devices that suffered from the terrible memory leaks, I haven't heard a peep about any of the other Lollipop devices, but I could be wrong.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I didn't notice any on my Nexus 4, but they're so bad on my Moto G that I'm considering sticking with the N4 until both get 5.1, then re-evaluating which one to sell.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

AFAIK, the Nexus 5 and Moto G are the only devices that suffered from the terrible memory leaks, I haven't heard a peep about any of the other Lollipop devices, but I could be wrong.
So it's not the update and it's just the phones? That makes this whole "I didn't want the update, anyway" thing make even less sense. Maybe other people had it worse but the only impact the "terrible memory leak" had for me was rebooting twice a week. Yeah, it was a little irritating, but the phone still worked even when it was having the problem, just slower. I'm glad I got 5.1, though. If I wanted to reboot my phone regularly I would have bought a OnePlus.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Just read some reviews on the S6 and S6 Edge... it's the first Samsung phone since the Note came out that has me considering Samsunging myself.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

butt dickus posted:

Ironically, the 4.4.4 update AT&T pushed just last month(I'm never getting Lollipop, am I?) has introduced some kind of memory leak that eats baterry and causes pressing the home button to open Google Now, even if it isn't a long press. I have to reboot my phone every day =/

Just give me Lollipop AT&T! :argh:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Just read some reviews on the S6 and S6 Edge... it's the first Samsung phone since the Note came out that has me considering Samsunging myself.

I might be Samsunging myself for the first time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, The Verge always gets really really weird battery life results. Their results for the Droid MAXX were literally half of what I would have gotten in the same conditions.

In case you haven't noticed, the Droid MAXX is on the same update cycle as the Moto X. Neither have lollipop yet on Verizon. Both are on 4.4.4. In fact, you could argue that the MAXX is seeing better update support since it at least has VoLTE where the X does not.

Verizon has X owners just as by the balls for updates. They all have to be approved by the carrier.

If the maxx is on the same minor version* of android as the 2013 X after they both have ended support, I will EAT MY HAT.

*that means the first number and the second number will be the same, so 5.2.1 and 5.2.7 will be treated equally

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
[TIMG]http://i.imgur.com/uud8Jjj.png[/IMG]

So it goes grey when using a browser, or goes an orange tint if I'm using messaging etc.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Nierbo posted:

So it goes grey when using a browser, or goes an orange tint if I'm using messaging etc.
That's a 5.0 feature. If you want to change it, you'll have to ask in the rooted thread (not recommended).

e: An easier thing to do would be to switch to Chrome, which uses a black bar by default but websites can specify which color they want it to be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RZA Encryption posted:

If the maxx is on the same minor version* of android as the 2013 X after they both have ended support, I will EAT MY HAT.

*that means the first number and the second number will be the same, so 5.2.1 and 5.2.7 will be treated equally

Be careful, it's entirely possible that the MAXX will end up on a higher version.

Reason? Moto will not commit to anything past 5.0.2 on the 2013 X. Meanwhile, the MAXX will need at least 5.1 to retain VoLTE functionality that it already has.

So, unless they go back on their promise of Lollipop for the MAXX, it's possible it will be jumping straight to 5.1 for the same reasons the Turbo is and why the N6 was delayed.

Basically, there's a business case for Verizon to get 5.1 on the MAXX that doesn't exist for the X.

Lblitzer posted:

Nexus 9. It's horrific.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 31, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nierbo posted:

[TIMG]http://i.imgur.com/uud8Jjj.png[/IMG]

Use the Awful app and it'll be blue instead.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Whelp. Even HERE maps can't seem to maintain a GPS lock...

Time to call Samsung about this stupid thing...makes me sort of wish I went with the N6, but only sort of...

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Skeezy posted:

I might be Samsunging myself for the first time.

I guess the question is, which do I want more out of the two. On one hand the edge is gimmicky even though the contact edge looks neat and if you look at the phone horizontally from the bottom it looks cool, but it it worth $100 dollars. Battery life across 4 different reviews all seem to indicate similar results, so it's not just The Verge at the moment, but as long as it last as longer than my m7 I'll be happy and considering I have 3 drat Tylt Vu's purchased at random times when they were on sale even though I don't have a phone capable of wireless charging I should have power available anywhere I need it the most!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

nimper posted:

What do you mean by counter-intuitive?

I'll admit I haven't spent TOO much time with it but I found on my N7 that I couldn't get it to be quiet with touchscreen sounds and still have my alarm go off. It was either have sound, or have absolutely nothing. I found an app (persist) that lets you dial it all in but really shouldn't have to go that far.

I will play around with it now that it's on my phone, but I feel like an old man that had his icons moved around.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The S5 on Verizon re-released Lollipop with a new update. My battery life has substantially improved. Praise be to Samsung, Touchwiz be thy name.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TraderStav posted:

I'll admit I haven't spent TOO much time with it but I found on my N7 that I couldn't get it to be quiet with touchscreen sounds and still have my alarm go off. It was either have sound, or have absolutely nothing. I found an app (persist) that lets you dial it all in but really shouldn't have to go that far.

I will play around with it now that it's on my phone, but I feel like an old man that had his icons moved around.

I actually like the way it's done in Lollipop. You can't accidentally set it on completely silent mode; you have to tap the button like you really mean it. Plus you can configure how long silent or priority mode will last.

Also, once your tablet gets 5.1 you'll see that they changed it so you can tell alarms to interrupt "None" mode. Hopefully this migrates to your phone soon.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

nimper posted:

Also, once your tablet gets 5.1 you'll see that they changed it so you can tell alarms to interrupt "None" mode. Hopefully this migrates to your phone soon.
I use this every night. It's great because now my drunk friends don't wake me up with dumb texts at 3 in the morning.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

If I wanted to reboot my phone regularly I would have bought a OnePlus.

My OPO is running pretty drat well, I'm really liking it. Haven't had to fiddle with it other than getting a custom Lollipop rom, no FCs or random weirdness. Overall much better than my time with the Nexus 5, plus the battery life is incredible. That said I pray to the phone gods that I don't have to call CS for anything and it holds up well.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

butt dickus posted:

That's a 5.0 feature. If you want to change it, you'll have to ask in the rooted thread (not recommended).

e: An easier thing to do would be to switch to Chrome, which uses a black bar by default but websites can specify which color they want it to be.

OK thanks for the answer.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

butt dickus posted:

I use this every night. It's great because now my drunk friends don't wake me up with dumb texts at 3 in the morning.

I just use Downtime settings for this and tell it not to count messages as priority interruptions.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
In case anyone was wondering if this was possible, I just got the BOC4 5.0 update on my Verizon S5 after having BOA8 rather than BOA4 (meaning I got the first 5.0 update before they pulled it).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

I guess the question is, which do I want more out of the two. On one hand the edge is gimmicky even though the contact edge looks neat and if you look at the phone horizontally from the bottom it looks cool, but it it worth $100 dollars. Battery life across 4 different reviews all seem to indicate similar results, so it's not just The Verge at the moment, but as long as it last as longer than my m7 I'll be happy and considering I have 3 drat Tylt Vu's purchased at random times when they were on sale even though I don't have a phone capable of wireless charging I should have power available anywhere I need it the most!

It was really easy for me. The S6 Edge was a no go because according to the Community Hardware dude from T-Mobile (Des) the green Edge isn't coming out in the States.

So I'm just going with the regular S6.

Honestly I wish the regular S6 was in green also.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Skeezy posted:

It was really easy for me. The S6 Edge was a no go because according to the Community Hardware dude from T-Mobile (Des) the green Edge isn't coming out in the States.

So I'm just going with the regular S6.

Honestly I wish the regular S6 was in green also.

On the one hand, yes no green, that's awful, but on the other, the blue shimmer highlights with the black version looks sexy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just realized what I disliked about the notifications in lollipop while in a meeting. I would like "priority notifications" to work but have touch sounds disabled while in priority only mode. I have to put it on no sounds at all in order to achieve that but lose priority notifications. I like the audio feedback in other times so simply turning them off isn't desirable. I think Persistent fixes that issue.