Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

just an FYI "launcher" which is like a jailbroken app was taken from the app store but released again. Pretty nifty app

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/18/launcher-returns-to-app-store/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Does anyone know of a tweak that will turn off the 'Turn off airplane mode or use wifi to access data' message? I travel a fair amount and it's annoying that when I'm in airplane mode, every time I open Downcast I get that message.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Lady Gaza posted:

Does anyone know of a tweak that will turn off the 'Turn off airplane mode or use wifi to access data' message? I travel a fair amount and it's annoying that when I'm in airplane mode, every time I open Downcast I get that message.

NoAnnoyance from the http://repo.pnre.co/ repo

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

NoAnnoyance from the http://repo.pnre.co/ repo

Awesome, thanks!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does it work on IOS8 yet?

I really hate the warning about Mobile Data on Podcasts.app Every Single Time You Go Into It.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

It fixed my issue for airplane mode, I'm on iOS 8.1.2

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Does it work on IOS8 yet?

I really hate the warning about Mobile Data on Podcasts.app Every Single Time You Go Into It.

I use podcasts all the time on 8.1.2 and never saw this. I've always been using NoAnnoyance

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Poor guy that runs RecentFacebook. I wonder if they're intentionally trying to kill his functionality or if it's just the lovely way they do their updates but every single week when the Facebook update downloads RecentFacebook breaks and has to be updated.

I suppose I should turn off auto-updates.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Can anyone suggest an app to wipe the caches of specified apps? Some like facebook like to squat a lot of space; I'd been using ifile but the directory names change every update and it won't show the app names anymore.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

icleaner on windows

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there anything to stop the insanely annoying "you haven't backed up in 38 weeks" and "not enough iCloud space to backup" pop ups?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there anything to stop the insanely annoying "you haven't backed up in 38 weeks" and "not enough iCloud space to backup" pop ups?

I've never had one of those pop up and I never back up.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You can turn off icloud backups in your icloud settings?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

You can turn off icloud backups in your icloud settings?

This is the right answer

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
"No, no, I need my eight month old backup that's never been refreshed."

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Is there an 8.2 jailbreak yet? I googled and I see all this stuff about semi-jailbreaks, what's that?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

aherdofpenguins posted:

Is there an 8.2 jailbreak yet? I googled and I see all this stuff about semi-jailbreaks, what's that?

No there isn't. I dunno what a semi-jailbreak entails but light skimming tells me it's pretty useless.
If it's not a top thread on /r/jailbreak I would just ignore it.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Sunblood posted:

No there isn't. I dunno what a semi-jailbreak entails but light skimming tells me it's pretty useless.
If it's not a top thread on /r/jailbreak I would just ignore it.

Got it! I accidentally chucked my phone underneath a train, and the new one I got updated to 8.2 while I wasn't paying attention ;( Looks like I'm jailbreakless for a while.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I got my hands on an iPod nobody's using any more to try my hand at jailbreaking, and... I've bricked it like five times. I've checked the model number and I definitely have a 5th generation touch, so it can be broken, but I can't get the drat thing back from 8.2 to 8.1.1 or 8.1.3. I've downloaded the .jpsw restore files, I shift-click on restore and pick them, the Restore process gets to the point where it's about to start restoring the software, and then I get a Error 3194 every time. And then with the restore not completed I have to unplug the ipod, plug it back in, and let iTunes restore it to 8.2 and you can't jailbreak 8.2.

What am I doing wrong :(

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
I could be wrong, but I don't think apple is signing anything other than 8.2 right now. You're probably stuck on stock 8.2 till a new jailbreak is released.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

CapnAndy posted:

I got my hands on an iPod nobody's using any more to try my hand at jailbreaking, and... I've bricked it like five times. I've checked the model number and I definitely have a 5th generation touch, so it can be broken, but I can't get the drat thing back from 8.2 to 8.1.1 or 8.1.3. I've downloaded the .jpsw restore files, I shift-click on restore and pick them, the Restore process gets to the point where it's about to start restoring the software, and then I get a Error 3194 every time. And then with the restore not completed I have to unplug the ipod, plug it back in, and let iTunes restore it to 8.2 and you can't jailbreak 8.2.

What am I doing wrong :(

Short of some occasional wizardry, you cannot downgrade. You are stuck on 8.2.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

TinyUmbrella has been recently updated which would let you save your blobs, but as far as I know there's no actual mechanism of reinstating previous iOS versions yet. There's progress though.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeah you used to be able to downgrade, but that kinda fell to the wayside somewhere around like ios 6.x?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I found another one at 7.0.2 but I guess it was updated OTA, because evasi0n didn't put the Cydia app on no matter what I tried.

No jailbreaking for me :(

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Has anyone ever used a call recording tweak, or can recommend one? I need to do some interviews for my grad school class over the phone, and need to record them so I can transcribe them. Is there anything that actually works, or am I better off just using speakerphone and another device to capture audio?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

cryptoclastic posted:

Has anyone ever used a call recording tweak, or can recommend one? I need to do some interviews for my grad school class over the phone, and need to record them so I can transcribe them. Is there anything that actually works, or am I better off just using speakerphone and another device to capture audio?

google voice does it, but you have to give them a totally different number. might be too late for that. possibly a combination of call forwarding from your regular att/verizon/whatever number to your google voice number?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

cryptoclastic posted:

Super Recorder is fantastic.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

spongeworthy posted:

Super Recorder is fantastic.

This is what I went with and so far it's great. Did some funky things after a call but I think I've got it sorted. Thanks for the tip!

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

cryptoclastic posted:

This is what I went with and so far it's great. Did some funky things after a call but I think I've got it sorted. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah just be sure not to accidentally turn on the voice synthesizer, had that happen once..

Jimmmmah
Oct 11, 2000
Forum Veteran
Attempting to fix my friends broken iPhone 5, it isn't jailbroken, it does the recovery loop - I popped it into DFU mode and attempted to factory reset but it comes up with error 21 on itunes, my hosts file is clean and have tried numerous attempts. I am starting to think its a hardware error as it doesn't switch on unless its connected to a pc, would it be battery related ? Starting to run out of ideas now and I don't have the tools to open it up and have a quick look at the battery ribbon etc. Any ideas ? Or any software which would help ? I'm on windows

Jimmmmah fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 8, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jimmmmah posted:

Attempting to fix my friends broken iPhone 5, it isn't jailbroken, it does the recovery loop - I popped it into DFU mode and attempted to factory reset but it comes up with error 21 on itunes, my hosts file is clean and have tried numerous attempts. I am starting to think its a hardware error as it doesn't switch on unless its connected to a pc, would it be battery related ? Starting to run out of ideas now and I don't have the tools to open it up and have a quick look at the battery ribbon etc. Any ideas ? Or any software which would help ? I'm on windows

Have you tried a different cable just for grins?

Jimmmmah
Oct 11, 2000
Forum Veteran
Just took it apart, turns out the battery connector was loose.. fixed now I think !

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Hello thread!

I haven't dabbled in Jailbreaking since IOS 7, but I'm on the verge of finally getting an iPad, and I can't for the life of me find any information on which firmware versions the UK iPad Air 2 actually ships with.

If I grab one today, is it likely to be jailbreak-able out of the box, or should I be sensible and patient, and not impulse-buy an iPad until some progress is made on 8.3? ^^;

Tyma fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 9, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you bought one today it is extremely unlikely that it comes with IOS 8.3.
I would bet it would probably still come with 8.1. But that's still a bit of a gamble.

Apple products have a 14 day return period if you did want to try and find out.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
Don't know if anyone who used to use it cares, or if you're a current iTunes Match user, but I updated my MatchInMusic flipswitch to work with iOS 8. Should be up on the BigBoss repo some time today.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

~Coxy posted:

If you bought one today it is extremely unlikely that it comes with IOS 8.3.
I would bet it would probably still come with 8.1. But that's still a bit of a gamble.

Apple products have a 14 day return period if you did want to try and find out.

Thanks for the fast and (very) sensible advice. The manager of Argos was kind enough to look through their current stock, and find the one he thought had been sitting in the warehouse the longest. It's 8.1.1.

Edit : And I'm done! Time to read 272 pages to thread, to see what I've been missing since IOS 6!

Tyma fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 9, 2015

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Tyma posted:

edit : And I'm done! Time to read 272 pages to thread, to see what I've been missing since IOS 6!

Ugh. I need to do this too, but :effort:

:(

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Awesome tweak came out today: Assistant+

It allows you to give commands to Siri and trigger Activator actions as well as set custom responses.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

spongeworthy posted:

It allows you to give commands to Siri and trigger Activator actions as well as set custom responses.

This looks awesome. I may have to pick it up just so I can tell Siri to piss off and have her do it!

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

spongeworthy posted:

This is some hot poo poo right here and worth jailbreaking for alone.

• Locked thread