Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Just sort of musing out loud here, but does Minister of Pain have a place in a Sidisi Whip deck? It occupies a weird space between Doomwake Giant and Drown in Sorrow. It's a smaller body than Doomwake (potentially no body at all), but much faster on the curve. It doesn't pack the punch that Drown in Sorrow has, but DiS is dead if you mill it with Sidisi, whereas Minister of Pain nets you a 2/2 zombie and can be whipped back into play. Also Drown in Sorrow takes out your own Zombies too...
T2 Wayfinder, T3 Minister of Pain is a nice curve against Jeskai Tokens.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

AgentSythe posted:

Owen Turtenwald seems like kind of a cock

Owen is awful

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-5-best-and-5-worst-formats-of-all-time/

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

When he says the fourth best Standard was RTR/Theros you know he's just loving with you and he can go to hell (coming from a remorseful Mono-U Devotion player).

e: unrelated but why is it called Pucatrade with Pucapoints, I pronounce it "Puke" and nobody likes Puke, and points makes me think of Buttcoins? So Pukebuttcoins? Was their marketer on coke?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I dunno I think Owen is an rear end but most of those opinions are pretty good.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Four Score posted:

e: unrelated but why is it called Pucatrade with Pucapoints, I pronounce it "Puke" and nobody likes Puke, and points makes me think of Buttcoins? So Pukebuttcoins? Was their marketer on coke?

Wezlar posted:

One of the comments said it best, it's a list of formats Owen was good at, and ones that he's not.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Alright I updated my sidisi whip build but haven't tested it yet against anyone. I'm NOT buying any whisperwood shitheads, but feel free to let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Land (23)
3x Forest
1x Island
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Opulent Palace
3x Polluted Delta
2x Swamp
4x Temple of Malady
1x Windswept Heath
1x Yavimaya Coast

Enchantment (2)
2x Frontier Siege

Creature (24)
3x Courser of Kruphix
3x Hornet Queen
4x Satyr Wayfinder
4x Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
2x Sidisi, Undead Vizier
4x Sylvan Caryatid
1x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
3x Torrent Elemental
1x Soul of Innistrad

Instant (7)
2x Hero's Downfall
4x Murderous Cut
1x Silence the Believers

Artifact (4)
3x Whip of Erebos

Sideboard (15)
2x Bile Blight
3x swan song
2x Disdainful Stroke
2x Negate
3x Reclamation Sage
3x Thoughtseize

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wezlar posted:

He's super spot on about Modern

Also anyone who's good at AVR Sealed is the literal devil

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If you can acquire a 4th Courser easily, there's probably no reason not to run it, especially with fetches. -1 Torrent, +1 Tasigur? Guy's a loving beast in UB control, even better when you delve away unwanted cards. If I'm entirely off base, I apologise; I play red and related decks so I'm just going by what I hate seeing.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also anyone who's good at AVR Sealed is the literal devil
Jesus loving Christ, this, forever.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So I visited 3 different local shops today looking to grab a playset of Shorecrasher Elemental and all 3 were sold out of them.

Did everyone within a 10 mile radius of me just have the same jank idea I did or is there a real potential Mono-U deck in this Standard?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Nobody is opening Dragons and nobody seems to be trading in what little they open either. Staples have felt much harder to track down than usual. It's a hard to evaluate set with a low EV so I think a lot of people are hanging on to cards and waiting to see what's at the PT.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tubgoat posted:

If you can acquire a 4th Courser easily, there's probably no reason not to run it, especially with fetches. -1 Torrent, +1 Tasigur? Guy's a loving beast in UB control, even better when you delve away unwanted cards. If I'm entirely off base, I apologise; I play red and related decks so I'm just going by what I hate seeing.

I ran 4 coursers in the KTK build and i always ended up drawing them when they were useless so I went down to 3. I might move those around though depending or keep one in the side board. I thought about moving to 2 tasigur as well but the elemental can be recurred in the late game over and over where as if they remove Tas he is gone for good and whipping him back doesn't help much, whereas whipping a torrent taps the person out and will usually let me swing for lethal or a good chunk of damage and life gain at least.

I need to play test against a few different decks but this is just the build i currently have together. I do have all the extra cards to move pieces in and out. I also love dropping a hornet queen with a dragon choice seige in play. Board wipe for just the other guy basically.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

So I visited 3 different local shops today looking to grab a playset of Shorecrasher Elemental and all 3 were sold out of them.

Did everyone within a 10 mile radius of me just have the same jank idea I did or is there a real potential Mono-U deck in this Standard?

A lot of people never forgot Master of Waves I guess. I really don't think there's going to be a surprise mono u deck at the PT though

cams
Mar 28, 2003

is your problem with this that holiday cube is not the #1 best format because yes i agree

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Nobody is opening Dragons and nobody seems to be trading in what little they open either. Staples have felt much harder to track down than usual. It's a hard to evaluate set with a low EV so I think a lot of people are hanging on to cards and waiting to see what's at the PT.

According to two separate store owners I know, Dragons is their fastest selling set ever. Like, one had to emergency order more boxes for draft this Friday because people actually bought him out. People have Dragons, just not people that are generally trading.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Skyl3lazer posted:

According to two separate store owners I know, Dragons is their fastest selling set ever. Like, one had to emergency order more boxes for draft this Friday because people actually bought him out. People have Dragons, just not people that are generally trading.

It doesn't shock me that casuals love the dragoniest dragon set that ever dragoned a dragon.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Skyl3lazer posted:

People have Dragons, just not people that are generally trading.
Basically this. I don't know how it is for other people, but in my neck of the woods you practically have to threaten them with a knife to get someone to trade cards from the latest set for the first two months after it comes out. Everyone clings desperately to their cards going "but what if this [big tournament] makes [random dollar rare I want for a gimmick deck] good?!?! I'm gonna hold onto it." Which is fine if that's the dumb poo poo you wanna do, but don't bring a binder filled with poo poo you won't trade to an FNM and then get salty because I won't trade my fetchlands for garbage from Morningtide.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've got the parts for gruul dragons and my stupid temur zoo deck now and I swear I am done buying DTK.

Still need to buy a taiga to draw cats on, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Man, I love trading off new poo poo. Get rid of that stuff before the new card scarcity wears off and buy it back later. Sure, sometimes the card does become a multi-format all star, but even then you're not going to lose much unless it's like a Mythic or something. You traded your Siege Rhino away when it was $6 right after release? If you were paying attention over the holiday then you could have re-bought them for cheaper than that. Even stuff like Sarkhan that spiked massively was back down to release-day price after a month or so.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jabor posted:

Man, I love trading off new poo poo. Get rid of that stuff before the new card scarcity wears off and buy it back later. Sure, sometimes the card does become a multi-format all star, but even then you're not going to lose much unless it's like a Mythic or something. You traded your Siege Rhino away when it was $6 right after release? If you were paying attention over the holiday then you could have re-bought them for cheaper than that. Even stuff like Sarkhan that spiked massively was back down to release-day price after a month or so.
I am having a blast trading off Narsets for poo poo like fetches and shocklands. In a month I doubt anything in DTK is gonna be >$20 so anything above $15 is getting traded away ASAP.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I was speaking with the owner of my LGS yesterday and he confirmed the same. I went to the pre-release at his store and we barely had 8 players show up but he had to order additional product to stock his binders because people bought out his binder AND all the stock he had. He says he didn't have this much demand for Khans even with fetches!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Owen's point about RTR is that it had complex and interactive decks. He's got a point that those are good markers for a healthy format, but the issue I see, based on my understanding of a format I missed out on, is that the complexity and interaction was limited to like three decks. Which dominated.

Lack of oppression, variety AND complexity and interactivity should be necessary for a healthy format.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
As much as people bitch about Thragtusk, I really liked ISD / RTR standard. There were a ton of cool decks in a variety of archetypes, from UW snapcaster control to that crazy naya humans blitz deck that took off with Burning Tree Emissary being printed in Gatecrash.

I miss Augur of Bolas, that card was super sweet.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 31, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I cast that card once, put three cards on the bottom of my deck, and never wavered from blinking Thragtusks ever again.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

As much as people bitch about Thragtusk, I really liked ISD / RTR standard. There were a ton of cool decks in a variety of archetypes, from UW snapcaster control to that crazy naya humans blitz deck that took off with Burning Tree Emissary being printed in Gatecrash.

The standard where you could pod Jens into Thragtusk was a great standard.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

That standard will always hold a special place in my heart.... as feeling really awful, because I was just getting into magic and my two friends had tier one standard decks that they regularly won events with. I do NOT miss t3 thragtusk, t4 resto angel :sigh:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

I loved Naya Humans. I went to a friends for Theros pre-release out of town, so that FNM was the last INN/RTR standard. I smashed everyone there with that deck and they were like "uh we haven't seen this deck in like a year" Holy poo poo it was so good with BTE that white 2 drop that made everything CIPT from m14. I beat a UW control player because their flash resto angel couldn't block :P

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jassi007 posted:

I loved Naya Humans. I went to a friends for Theros pre-release out of town, so that FNM was the last INN/RTR standard. I smashed everyone there with that deck and they were like "uh we haven't seen this deck in like a year" Holy poo poo it was so good with BTE that white 2 drop that made everything CIPT from m14. I beat a UW control player because their flash resto angel couldn't block :P

I can imagine BTE making Champion of the Parish loving huge. Or make it Mardu humans with Champion/BTE/Xathrid Necromancer.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlternateNu posted:

I can imagine BTE making Champion of the Parish loving huge.

I wish humans was good enough for modern, also ghor-clan was funny. I thought about that deck when I saw lightning berserker, he'd be a good addition. Everytime you have spare mana dash him out, make Champion bigger.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

I can imagine BTE making Champion of the Parish loving huge. Or make it Mardu humans with Champion/BTE/Xathrid Necromancer.

The ideal start was Turn 1 Cavern of Souls naming Human, Champion of the Parish. Turn 2 any untapped land that taps for R or G, Burning-Tree Emissary into Lightning Mauler, swing for 7.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

The ideal start was Turn 1 Cavern of Souls naming Human, Champion of the Parish. Turn 2 any untapped land that taps for R or G, Burning-Tree Emissary into Lightning Mauler, swing for 7.

So the dream hand was Champion, Cavern, BTE, BTE, BTE, forest, Lightning Mauler, Lightning Mauler, right? :getin:

Killing on T3 sounds like the best feeling for a standard deck.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
My RDW currently runs 20 mountains. To play Outpost Siege reliably as a sideboard, you need 21 or 22, yeah? So 21 main deck, 1 mountain in sideboard, or 20 main deck and one in sideboard?

Land is tricky. I like that RG RDW that's running around splashing for Atarka's Command. But buying 4 mana confluences seems pricey.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
God drat. Tried to make a Skullbriar Tiny Leader deck and realized it's probably one of the most expensive ones to make it fun. Made Ezuri instead, elf tribal, which was infinitely cheaper (monoG commander deck was so helpful).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Alright I updated my sidisi whip build but haven't tested it yet against anyone. I'm NOT buying any whisperwood shitheads, but feel free to let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Land (23)
3x Forest
1x Island
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Opulent Palace
3x Polluted Delta
2x Swamp
4x Temple of Malady
1x Windswept Heath
1x Yavimaya Coast

Enchantment (2)
2x Frontier Siege

Creature (24)
3x Courser of Kruphix
3x Hornet Queen
4x Satyr Wayfinder
4x Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
2x Sidisi, Undead Vizier
4x Sylvan Caryatid
1x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
3x Torrent Elemental
1x Soul of Innistrad

Instant (7)
2x Hero's Downfall
4x Murderous Cut
1x Silence the Believers

Artifact (4)
3x Whip of Erebos

Sideboard (15)
2x Bile Blight
3x swan song
2x Disdainful Stroke
2x Negate
3x Reclamation Sage
3x Thoughtseize

You don't need more than 2 at the absolute most of Torrent Elemental, I'd actually go with 1. You also don't need 3 Hornet Queen's. The whole point of playing the new Sidisi is so you dont have to play as many of those game ending bombs and you can just find them with Sidisi. Also I think you want Thoughtsieze in the MB and a few Duress in the board. You don't want Silence either, It's too slow. Try Suital Charm. I also hate Frontier Siege in this deck.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Dohaeris posted:

My RDW currently runs 20 mountains. To play Outpost Siege reliably as a sideboard, you need 21 or 22, yeah? So 21 main deck, 1 mountain in sideboard, or 20 main deck and one in sideboard?

Land is tricky. I like that RG RDW that's running around splashing for Atarka's Command. But buying 4 mana confluences seems pricey.
The Frank Karsten article only mentions up to 3 for triple mana spells but the suggestion is 22 lands to hit 3 by turn 3. It's 20 for 2 by turn 2, so I'd say 22 is fine for "want to hit 4 by turn 5-6 or so."

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

En Fuego posted:

God drat. Tried to make a Skullbriar Tiny Leader deck and realized it's probably one of the most expensive ones to make it fun. Made Ezuri instead, elf tribal, which was infinitely cheaper (monoG commander deck was so helpful).

What cards go into Skullbriar that make him more expensive than like, any 3-color blue leader?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Oh man, you can Wild Slash a token to prevent Bile Blight from wiping your board?

So many little interactions I need to learn.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dohaeris posted:

Oh man, you can Wild Slash a token to prevent Bile Blight from wiping your board?

So many little interactions I need to learn.

Did you play during RTR standard?

Sacrificing your own Pack Rat token in response to Detention Sphere to save the rest of them was feelgood as gently caress.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

Did you play during RTR standard?

Sacrificing your own Pack Rat token in response to Detention Sphere to save the rest of them was feelgood as gently caress.
I Cut a hornet token in response to a Bile Blight and the guy scooped. That was a pretty amazing feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

En Fuego posted:

The higher ups at SCG are probably short-stroking it over the number of people buying into some format they invented to jack up the prices on dollar rares

• Locked thread